NEVER roll over your 401k to a new employer's plan!

By Patrick   Follow   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 1:30pm   1,457 views   27 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

I just started a real job in Janurary and joined their 401k, which is run by ETrade. 401k plans are a real benefit to workers because the income you put into it can grow untaxed until retirement.

But 401k plans are an even bigger benefit to Wall Street, because it allows brokerages to trap employees in limited and generally bad investment options, like mutual funds and bond funds, all of which take hefty hidden commissions. It's pretty much legalized theft from workers, but people put up with it because they don't know any better, and because they're getting the tax deferment.

I remember my utter joy and delight when I first realized after leaving Motorola that I could roll over the 401k money I had in the Motorola 401k plan to a completely personally controlled IRA at any brokerage of my choosing, and then trade stock without any taxes at all (at least until I eventually retire). Investing paradise!

So now my new employer set me up with an ETrade account and the first thing they want me to do is give up the liberty of my previous 401k money and trap myself in their high-fee mutual funds.

No way.

No fucking way.

Dear Patrick Killelea,
Account number ending in: xxxx

Whether you've changed jobs recently, or just haven't had a chance to move an old 401(k), rolling over to E*TRADE will enable you to make better decisions by viewing your most important assets together in one place.

Roll over your old 401(k) for better planning...

Viewing Comments 1-27 of 27     Last »     See most liked comments

1. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    262 threads
    3,249 comments
    San Francisco, CA

1   1:35pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I always cash out as long as the amounts are small and never participate when there is no matching (useless). For the big one I rolled it over into my own trading accounts and manage it myself entirely. I also founded an IRA-LLC which lets you invest and have accounts anywhere in the world. But I think there is a better vehicle called solo-401K, the IRA-LLC cost some $$ to set up, maintenance is not too bad if you don't use ripoff states like CA, e.g. Wyoming is like $100 per year total for everything.

2. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    997 threads
    12,090 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

2   1:38pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

I typically roll over 401Ks to IRAs. I guess that's the same idea. Don't know if there are any significant differences or advantages between your method and mine.

3. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,545 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

3   1:54pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Patrick says

I typically roll over 401Ks to IRAs. I guess that's the same idea. Don't know if there are any significant differences or advantages between your method and mine.

Same here. Roll it to IRA, then in weak earning years convert to a Roth IRA. I believe taxes in the future will be higher, so paying at today's rate might become a smart move. Also, your future earnings then grow tax free until you need it. Most likely the biggest benefit.

The only thing I think I lost verses a traditional 401K was the ability to take out a loan. I actually took out 50K once a few years back because I lost all faith in the market and was basically all cash. I paid back the 50K plus the 6% rate to my plan and in effect ended up with the ability to sneak more money into my account above the yearly limits. Kinda sneaky, but works well in a boring market.

4. michaelsch

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    586 comments
    South Pasadena, CA

4   2:07pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

There is one caveat though. If you are 55+ and you loose/change your job, you may withdraw money from your 401/403k w/o penalty as long as it is the original plan. If you roll over you loose this and you would have to pay your penalty.

5. drew_eckhardt

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    2 threads
    565 comments
    Sunnyvale, CA

5   2:16pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

RentingForHalfTheCost says

Same here. Roll it to IRA, then in weak earning years convert to a Roth IRA. I believe taxes in the future will be higher, so paying at today's rate might become a smart move.

Roth conversions are also

1. A way to get more than the statutory limits into tax advantaged accounts. Roth conversion of your annual $17,500 401k contribution on which the proceeds will be taxed at 28% when you retire to a state without income tax is like having made a $24,305 pre-tax contribution.

2. A way to make your Social security benefits tax free (or preserve them when the inevitable means testing comes). Roth withdrawals don't count as income under the formula which subjects up to 85% of your Social Security benefits to taxes.

3. Estate planning. The balance sheet value of a Roth IRA providing a given benefit to your heirs is less than a retirement account with taxable benefits so it'll have less inheritance tax assessed.

6. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,439 comments

6   2:33pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Our fearless leader said: I remember my utter joy and delight when I first realized after leaving Motorola that I could roll over the 401k money I had in the Motorola 401k plan to a completely personally controlled 401k at any brokerage of my choosing
    To be clear, you didn't put it in another 401k, you rolled it over into an IRA. I would change the language in the original post

7. BayArea

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    57 threads
    400 comments
    Oakland, CA

7   3:16pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick,

You make a good point. However, by rolling-over the 401K you will immediately (or eventually depending on the plan) get employer matching.

So your mutual fund take 0.9% in fees but if your employer matches 3% for example...

Sure, you are stuck with the limited funds they offer however.

8. gbenson

Follow
    Befriend
    17 threads
    426 comments

8   3:26pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

You can also roll it into a self directed IRA plan which gives you even more flexibility (ie to buy real estate).

9. mbodell

Follow
    Befriend
    10 comments

9   3:52pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

There can be advantages if your employer is huge and has access to funds that a common person wouldn't. In general, the larger your employer's 401K fund, the better your options and treatments. When I was at Microsoft they had a pretty good plan that included both some very good low cost index funds as well as a brokerage account through which you could make your own trades. At a smaller employer with a newly created 401K all the funds have like 1% fees.

I agree it would be an exception to want to roll over, and usually you wouldn't want to do that, but a really great 401K plan might actually be good or neutral to roll over.

10. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    353 threads
    9,703 comments

10   4:25pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

Isn't there also the danger the an employer would force you to buy crap they're shorting and know is going to implode?

11. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    240 threads
    867 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

11   4:33pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

agreed. count your shares from one statement to the next.

12. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,533 comments
    Baltimore, MD

12   5:25pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

mbodell says

There can be advantages if your employer is huge and has access to funds that a common person wouldn't

Not true at Wells Fargo.

13. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    764 threads
    6,533 comments
    Baltimore, MD

13   5:28pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

You are just figuring out this now???

14. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    240 threads
    867 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

14   5:29pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

You are just figuring out this now???

yeah. obviously not a Leykis student.

15. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    262 threads
    3,249 comments
    San Francisco, CA

15   5:41pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Leykis or not, he has some useful things to say ;)

16. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,651 threads
    6,325 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

16   6:11pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

EBGuy says

To be clear, you didn't put it in another 401k, you rolled it over into an IRA. I would change the language in the original post

You are right. Corrected.

BayArea says

You make a good point. However, by rolling-over the 401K you will immediately (or eventually depending on the plan) get employer matching.

So your mutual fund take 0.9% in fees but if your employer matches 3% for example...

No, matches generally match only some percent the amount taken from your paycheck, not rollover. But anyway my employer is pretty lame about the 401k and doesn't match my contributions at all.

gbenson says

You can also roll it into a self directed IRA plan which gives you even more flexibility (ie to buy real estate).

I think that's what I have. It's just an IRA, and I direct it into anything I want. I trade in it, and have bought CDs, corporate bonds, and options.

17. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

17   8:06pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

A hipster explained it to me: You can borrow against the amount you "roll-in" to your new 401K.

18. justme

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    35 threads
    3,847 comments

18   8:12pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

A hipster explained it to me: You can borrow against the amount you "roll-in" to your new 401K.

AFAIK, the borrowing feature is the *only* advantage in rolling one employer 401k into a new employer 401k.

I always roll any existing 401k into an IRA with a stock brokerage. Then there are no limitations on what stocks or funds I can buy.

19. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

19   8:56pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

well justme, I suppose but even when the hipster shared his knowledge with me, I did not see the "advantage" in it.

20. swebb

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    31 threads
    640 comments
    Denver, CO

20   9:22pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

mell says

and never participate when there is no matching (useless)

I don't have a matching 401K, but I don't think that makes it useless. It still gives you the tax deferred treatment, which is important. Unless you have headroom left in your IRA contribution, I'd say the 401K is a great idea.

21. swebb

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    31 threads
    640 comments
    Denver, CO

21   9:28pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

well justme, I suppose but even when the hipster shared his knowledge with me, I did not see the "advantage" in it.

Sure it's and advantage, at least in some circumstances.

I'm more aggressive with my retirement contributions, "neglecting" my emergency fund because I know I can take a 401K loan if I had an emergency. By contributing more to my 401K than I otherwise would, I end up in a better position down the road (assuming no emergency) because I was able to contribute more to the 401K. You can't get your contribution limits back..once they are gone, they are gone. So use them while you have them, and take a loan out if it turns out you need the money for an emergency or whatever.

Same thing with saving for a house. Max out your retirement funds first, and take a 401K loan if you need to for the down payment. Your contribution base is "locked in" and the interest you are paying goes to you, not the bank.

It's really not some exotic "out there" idea. It really makes good sense as far as I can tell.

22. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    262 threads
    3,249 comments
    San Francisco, CA

22   9:37pm Fri 25 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

swebb says

mell says

and never participate when there is no matching (useless)

I don't have a matching 401K, but I don't think that makes it useless. It still gives you the tax deferred treatment, which is important. Unless you have headroom left in your IRA contribution, I'd say the 401K is a great idea.

It depends on how you project taxes going forward and how much the instant availability is worth for you. Or if you need help managing retirement money by putting it out of instant reach ;) If there is no matching and I don't participate then I can use the money right away and invest it more diversely. I also think taxes have nowhere but to go up.

23. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

23   12:09am Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

swebb says

I'm more aggressive with my retirement contributions, "neglecting" my emergency fund because I know I can take a 401K loan if I had an emergency. By contributing more to my 401K than I otherwise would, I end up in a better position down the road (assuming no emergency) because I was able to contribute more to the 401K.

Me too.
    When your employment is severed, it becomes an IRA, which as you said, an emergency fund. Under your own personal control and discretion.
    I really don't see the benefit of turning it over to the 401K at the new job.

24. B.A.C.A.H.

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    8 threads
    2,720 comments

24   12:14am Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

swebb says

Same thing with saving for a house. Max out your retirement funds first, and take a 401K loan if you need to for the down payment.

It's "innovations" like this that've kept the housing game going on for a lot longer than we all could afford. (10% down, adjustables, PMI, full time working moms, etc., one innovation at a time)

25. taxee

Follow
    Befriend
    88 threads
    466 comments
    El Cerrito, CA

25   4:26am Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

B.A.C.A.H. says

It's "innovations" like this that've kept the housing game going on for a lot longer than we all could afford. (10% down, adjustables, PMI, full time working moms, etc., one innovation at a time)

The hamster is hardwired to run. The bankster invents novel new wheels.

26. SoftShell

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    2,876 comments
    Brilliant, OH

26   6:03am Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Unless your new employer is offering a "Paychex" 401K, whereby you can move your 401K cash into a "paychex 401K self directed brokerage account", where you can trade mutual funds and stocks.....don't know if any other 401K plans offer this option, mine does...

Patrick says

No way.

No fucking way.

27. SoftShell

Follow
    Befriend
    7 threads
    2,876 comments
    Brilliant, OH

27   6:04am Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 213 milliseconds to create.