« previous   misc   next »

Realtor sued Match.com for $10M

By Mark D   Follow   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 10:27am PST   1,023 views   16 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

A Las Vegas woman who was severely beaten by a man she met through Match.com is suing the online dating site for $10 million two years and multiple surgeries after the attack that left her hospitalized for months.

Beckman filed suit in Clark County, Nevada, accusing Match.com of negligence, negligent misrepresentation, deceptive trade, failure to warn and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

The site, she said, failed to warn her about the dangers of meeting "an individual whose intentions are not to find a mate, but to find victims to kill or rape."

The real estate agent said she joined Match.com about a month before her first in-person meeting with Ridley on Sept. 26, 2010. They dated for 10 days, but she called it off. That's when Ridley started sending her threatening and harassing messages.

On Jan. 21, 2011, Ridley attacked Beckman in her garage, and left her for dead, she says, when she stopped making a "gurgling noise."

Comments 1-16 of 16     Last »

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 12:39pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 1

Sad, but who the fuck else do you think is hanging around on swamps like Match.com besides rapists, murderers and cannibals?

Mark D   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 12:49pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 2

maybe your mom.

New Renter   Fri, 25 Jan 2013, 2:01pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

Mark D says

maybe your mom.

And "Lola" when "she's" not at the Piggly Wiggly

CaptainShuddup   Sat, 26 Jan 2013, 1:30am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)     Comment 4

Have you seen the guy? Geesh! She'll probably not win her case, as She doesn't seem to have very high standards in men she agrees to meet up with in a dark alley she met on the Internet.

Quigley   Sat, 26 Jan 2013, 1:46am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

An ugly crime to be sure. Match.com may protest its innocence and the unfairness of the lawsuit, but they won't jeopardize the cash cow with an actual civil trial. There will be a quiet little settlement with lots of forms and NDAs for her to sign. Can't say she doesn't deserve at least that much. The site can definitely afford it. What it can't afford is a legal precedent of culpability.

Goran_K   Sat, 26 Jan 2013, 1:52am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

Wow that guy looks like he would eat peanut butter out of the jar at the store, and then close it up and put it back on the shelf.

elliemae   Sun, 27 Jan 2013, 2:24am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 7

IDDQD says

Universal background check for dating would have prevented this tragedy.

I have a few friends that have met people online and dated for awhile, or got married and were happy.

I don't troll for dates online because I don't know them, don't know if they're ax murderers or rapists... I also don't stand on the top step of ladders with no support, run with scissors, or do so many other things that I've been warned not to do by disclaimers and stickers all over the items. That's because I possess something called "common sense."

But this woman obviously has no common sense. Then again, she's a realtor so she's already proven that. All Match.com has to do is to stand up in court and point out that she's a realtor and they've won.

Ceffer   Sun, 27 Jan 2013, 2:38am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 8

She should have just waited at the exit door of the local penitentiary with binoculars and offered the best likely parolee with a paper bag a ride home.

She could then always call his parole officer and have him remanded back if he didn't behave.

elliemae   Sun, 27 Jan 2013, 7:50am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 9

Ceffer says

She could then always call his parole officer and have him remanded back if he didn't behave.

But she couldn't have found an attorney to help sue the prison system for $10 million dollars.

zzyzzx   Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 11:28am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

Sad, but who the fuck else do you think is hanging around on swamps like Match.com besides rapists, murderers and cannibals?

JodyChunder   Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 11:32am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 11

There's a fair amount of poontang to be had by using you local sex-offender maps. Some real cute chicks on there.

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 11:32am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

She'd be lucky to get a date in a state prison. Match.com should sue her for traumatizing their male clients.

Straw Man   Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 12:03pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 13

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

Realtors?

HydroCabron   Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 12:36pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

Reminds me of a head-on (2 solo drivers, both fatalities) near where I used to live. Both had blood alcohol levels above .15%.

Win-win!

Ceffer   Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 2:35pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 15

Maybe she's just mad at him because he left her.

This man is an obvious, slavering, violent psychopath, who will flatter you just long enough to get you into a closed, tight space where you cannot get away from him.

Her: I'll take him! Is he ready to go!

SoftShell   Fri, 17 Jan 2014, 11:16pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 16

10 to1 she drops all charges if he buys a condo from her...

Mark D is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net