How to get /media/disk back?

By Patrick   Follow   Sat, 26 Jan 2013, 4:14pm   629 views   12 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Ubuntu keeps doing me favors that I really wish it would not.

The latest one is that when I plug in a USB drive, it mounts it as:

/media/7419-EA6C

Or whatever other unique label that particular USB drive has. Bad Ubuntu! I don't want that. My backup script expects /media/disk and that's what I want, no matter which USB drive is inserted. I have lots of them that I use in round-robin fashion for backups.

How do I get any USB drive that I insert to mount as /media/disk like it use to be? Half an hour of searching did not turn up any way to revert to the old behavior.

Viewing Comments 1-12 of 12     Last »     See most liked comments

1. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    868 threads
    2,193 comments

1   7:07pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I know enough to turn this machine on & make foolish comments.This just popped into my head from the ether. Do you recall someone saying years ago that the computer should be as easy to use as a TV remote?

Which button do I hit to turn on the TV?lol

2. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    284 threads
    3,635 comments
    San Francisco, CA

2   8:21pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  3. Hysteresis

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    14 threads
    660 comments

3   8:27pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

Or whatever other unique label that particular USB drive has. Bad Ubuntu!

why do you keep blaming ubuntu for things it has no control over?

7419-ea6c is name of the volume. stick that usb drive in any machine and it will show the same name.

4. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,660 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

4   10:17pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I blame Ubuntu because it changed behavior, and has no obvious way to revert to the way it used to be.

It was much better when a USB drive appeared as /media/disk. Who cares about the name of the specific USB drive? It's completely useless and simply makes all scripts that reference USB drives completely unportable. It's like you're in a workshop and you need a hammer, and you can see it and point to it, but you can't have it unless you ask for the serial number of that specific hammer and you are not allowed to say "just get me the fucking hammer".

mell says

This doesn't work?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/1644/mounting-a-usb-disk-in-a-permanent-location

That does not work.

I just need to figure out which silly script assumed I would want some random useless volume name like 7419-EA6C instead of a consistent sensible name like "disk". Then I will destroy that silly script.

5. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

5   10:45pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  6. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,660 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

6   10:50pm Sat 26 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It doesn't say how to get the old behavior back, where it would mount any USB drive as /media/disk

That's all I want to do.

7. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,660 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

7   11:40am Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Here's another example of what I mean:

When you insert a DVD in a Linux computer, it shows up as /media/dvd or some other perfectly logical general name.

You don't have to figure out the exact name of that one particular DVD and type it in so that your DVD-playing software can know where the DVD is mounted in the filesystem. That would be stupid.

And yet the new Ubuntu USB mounting scheme is actually that stupid. It requires that you know the unique and unguessable name of that one particular USB drive before you can know where to look for it in the filesystem.

8. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    116 threads
    4,363 comments

8   11:56am Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What about network mapping or a RAID approach? If you can create a virtual "drive" with maybe a batch file to associate each of your USB drives with it, then use the virtual drive address. It's imperfect but converts the daily annoyance of an unwanted "feature" into a one-time problem-solving puzzle. You might think of it as a security feature, since you wouldn't want a hacker substituting a strange USB drive to run away with your scripted backup.

9. Hysteresis

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    14 threads
    660 comments

9   12:09pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

And yet the new Ubuntu USB mounting scheme is actually that stupid. It requires that you know the unique and unguessable name of that one particular USB drive before you can know where to look for it in the filesystem.

you should know your device configuration; this includes the name of the volume.
    ubuntu should not make up a random name to name devices which is what you're asking for.

you're completely wrong on this. i could give many scenarios where this scheme you love so much is completely broken.

you're asking ubuntu to allow you to be lazy (even though it's wrong), instead of doing the right thing.

10. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

10   1:31pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

Here's another example of what I mean:

When you insert a DVD in a Linux computer, it shows up as /media/dvd or some other perfectly logical general name.

You don't have to figure out the exact name of that one particular DVD and type it in so that your DVD-playing software can know where the DVD is mounted in the filesystem. That would be stupid.

What did you do to cause Ubuntu to change behavior?

Also, you can make a symlink from /media/disk to your new name. I would think the new system should be better anyway as now less chance of getting your back up media confused.

11. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,660 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

11   2:05pm Sun 27 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

StillLooking says

What did you do to cause Ubuntu to change behavior?

I installed the latest Ubuntu OS on my new laptop. I regret that. I should have stuck with the old Ubuntu.

StillLooking says

you can make a symlink from /media/disk to your new name

I would still have to type in the new name each time I use a new flash drive.

Before, the USB was always at /media/disk and that is how it should be.

curious2 says

If you can create a virtual "drive" with maybe a batch file to associate each of your USB drives with it, then use the virtual drive address. It's imperfect but converts the daily annoyance of an unwanted "feature" into a one-time problem-solving puzzle. You might think of it as a security feature, since you wouldn't want a hacker substituting a strange USB drive to run away with your scripted backup.

Yes, I could make some script that figures out which newly created path corresponds to the USB drive I just inserted, and I'll probably have to do that, but it's just pointless work because the Ubuntu people decided not to allow the old easy and intuitive naming.

Hysteresis says

you're asking ubuntu to allow you to be lazy (even though it's wrong), instead of doing the right thing.

Screw the "right thing". Laziness is one of the three virtues of a great programmer:

http://threevirtues.com/

The computer exists to do my work. Not to make me do work.

12. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    833 threads
    7,089 comments
    Baltimore, MD

12   12:24pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yet still another reason to use Fedora.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 85 milliseconds to create.