To end extreme poverty, end extreme wealth

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Mon, 28 Jan 2013, 1:39pm   550 views   14 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

http://blog.ourfuture.org/20130127/to-end-extreme-poverty-lets-try-ending-extreme-wealth

The world’s wealthy gathered in the Alps again last week to discuss how to ‘solve’ the world’s problems. The world’s biggest problem, suggests one top global anti-poverty outfit, may be their fortunes.

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    800 threads
    10,624 comments

1   1:45pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

You can't end extreme poverty no more than you can end aging.
    Remember the Golden Voice homeless man? In less than a month he went from discovered, admired, investigated, hated, to back to obscurity.

Same with street corner shoeless man.

2. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    49 threads
    1,755 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

2   2:34pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Just have communism! It worked so well for the soviets that they had to eat as a staple, little cakes made of ground up potato peelings from the leavings of those with better party connections. So instead of a few very poor people, you have most people very poor.

3. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    118 threads
    18,215 comments

3   2:51pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Until poor people realize they cannot afford children there will always be poverty.

I doubt I can afford kids.

4. raindoctor

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    3 threads
    136 comments
    Mountain View, CA

4   2:57pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Poverty as we see today is an urban phenomenon. In agrarian (rural) societies, if they exist now, poverty has to do with the kind of food one eats: the poor section of rural population eat grains; the better-off eat rice. Not a much of difference. Today, technology has solved the food problem: you don't need much labor to produce food.

Technology is egalitarian: it does not distinguish between the poor and the rich; of course, the modern fad of organics is an attempt to create that barrier between those who can afford such organics (the haves) and those who can't (the poor).

The other criticism is about the fast food industry: this can be tackled differently.

When people migrated to urban areas, they can't rely on old ways of living: in rural societies of the past, the kids followed the path travelled by their parents and ancestors: kids of farmers became farmers; kids of blacksmiths became blacksmiths. Minimally, the kids could continue whatever their parents did.

Today, a doctor can't guarantee the same gig for his kid. A lawyer can't hand over his job to his son. A professor can't hand over his job to his kids. As a parent, one tries to guarantee the same quality of level for his posterity. Modern society can't guarantee this: that's why you see this struggle manifested in various forms: skewed housing markets in Cupertino; admission games to HYP, Stanford, MIT; massive tutoring to get a leg up on the competition; financial engineering to screw others so that the big boys can save money for 9 more generations; FIRE sector jobs and its commision structure; NIMBYism; so on.

Major cause of urban poverty is the high cost of living, despite the cost of food being cheap and the availability of clean water and good sewage systems. Some claim that the labor cost in urban areas is driving the cost of living higher and higher. I don't buy this nonsense, since many folks living in urban setting do not need maids to do their day to day tasks, since clean water and sewage system is already provided for.

I think, science and engineering will have to solve the problem of poverty and the problem of unhappiness as well.

5. Peter P

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    118 threads
    18,215 comments

5   3:01pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Technology is overrated. I rather have maids, just like in the downtown abbey.

6. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

6   3:01pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Remember the Golden Voice homeless man? In less than a month he went from discovered, admired, investigated, hated, to back to obscurity.

Same with street corner shoeless man.

Well, if internet fame can't solve all their problems that lead them to extreme poverty then I guess nothing can.

7. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    374 threads
    10,307 comments

7   4:22pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

just transport the poor to hunting theme parks where the rich can fly around and shoot them

8. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    800 threads
    10,624 comments

8   4:44pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Or you could just build homeless Village, a ghost town, where the homeless sleep on the door stoops.

9. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    374 threads
    10,307 comments

9   4:55pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Sure you could, but what would be the entertainment value to oligarchs?

10. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,059 comments
    San Jose, CA

10   5:36pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Quigley says

Just have communism! It worked so well for the soviets that they had to eat as a staple, little cakes made of ground up potato peelings from the leavings of those with better party connections. So instead of a few very poor people, you have most people very poor.

Do you really believe what the Soviets practiced was true communism?

11. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,023 threads
    12,513 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

11   6:29pm Mon 28 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Out of all the things you have every said on this site, this is the most absurd and unfounded. Of course extreme poverty can be ended. Today's technology alone is enough so that there doesn't have to be extreme poverty. It's a political problem, not a technological one.

12. TechGromit

Follow
    Befriend (6)
    85 threads
    979 comments
    45 male
    Egg Harbor City, NJ

12   8:24am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

raindoctor says

Today, a doctor can't guarantee the same gig for his kid. A lawyer can't hand over his job to his son. A professor can't hand over his job to his kids. As a parent, one tries to guarantee the same quality of level for his posterity. Modern society can't guarantee this: that's why you see this struggle manifested in various forms...

This brings up a very good point, some people are just prone to be poor. Even if your transferred considerable wealth to your children, they could squander it away.

There was this guy named John Margotti who worked all his life as an electrician and built up a very successful business in North Jersey. He turned the business over to his son and retired to South Jersey. All his son had to do was manage the business and he be set for life. The business had good employees, equipment, vehicles, a good reputation, it should have been an easy gig. Well the son bankrupted the business within one year. The son's wife would go on shopping sprees with money deposited into the business accounts when they received a down payment for a job. The father had to end up starting a new electrical business in South Jersey because his retirement plans were so screwed up. The son ended up becoming a fly by night contractor that didn't complete jobs.

This can happen to any one's children, no matter how much money, eduction or opportunities given to them when they are starting out in life. The simple fact is not all people are created equal, so are major screw ups, than are destined to be poor. Where it's laziness, they get involved in drugs, drop out of school, what ever, poverty is something that will always be around, no matter how much anyone tried to get rid of it.

13. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    770 threads
    9,608 comments

13   8:39am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

TechGromit says

All his son had to do was manage the business and he be set for life. The business had good employees, equipment, vehicles, a good reputation, it should have been an easy gig. Well the son bankrupted the business within one year.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that situation happen. The reason is that the kid is babied the whole time and not held responsible. "Daddy" never forced him to "learn" the business and junior just gets "carried" by all the other good employees....

As soon as daddy steps away, the business usually loses it's good employees and the business crashes and burns....

14. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    800 threads
    10,624 comments

14   8:40am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Wow I make my most poignant post in the history of Patnet and it gets skipped over completely with more Liberal ejaculant in lieu of thought.

CaptainShuddup says

Or you could just build homeless Village, a ghost town, where the homeless sleep on the door stoops.

My point is, you could send most of our homeless to a ghost town, where they could have carte blanche on which resident they chose, free and clear with out owing one dime for it. I'm saying that most of those homeless people chose a house based on the doorstoop to sleep on.

For the most part homelessness is a mental ailment.
    Though I don't consider ALL people who find them selves on the street homeless. The one's I don't consider homeless, always work their way back off the streets relative quickly.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 132 milliseconds to create.