Staffed Luxury Villa Encantada in Puerto Vallarta, Vacation of Your Lifetime! (Advertisement)

Here is an article that explains how Apple is missing the boat and will continue

By CaptainShuddup   Follow   Tue, 29 Jan 2013, 7:43am   2,975 views   58 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

...on a downward spiral.

Apple just announced 128gig iphone. That is their idea of innovation. Yet there's not one appliance, car, or any non apple device that has the Apple iOS on it. More over Apple seems to go out of their way to thwart manufacturers from creating devices that communicate with the iOS, let alone docking devices. Hello lightening.

The remote for your life
http://techcentral.my/news/story.aspx?file=/2013/1/14/it_news/20130114130231&sec=IT_News

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,611 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

1   6:05pm Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike  

When my iPad refused to let me control the volume during a commercial on Pandora, the spell was broken: http://patrick.net/forum/?p=1220062

I don't plan on ever buying anything else again from Apple.

2. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,611 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

2   7:30pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

3. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    612 threads
    7,080 comments

3   7:54am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

Haven't you learned yet... don't question.....

Just run right out like a good zombie and stand in line for hours to get your new 128gig iPhone...

It's your American duty!!!

Now go!!! :)

4. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,611 threads
    6,305 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA

4   4:44pm Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Bigsby says

Shouldn't you be complaining about Pandora rather than Apple?

Nope. It's Apple's fault that they exposed an API that lets sleazy companies like Pandora control the volume.

If you bought a car that would sometimes disable the steering and gas and instead automatically drive you to McDonalds, wouldn't that be a shitty car to own? What would you think of that car maker?

5. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

5   3:38pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

SFace says

13mp camera

This really irks me. Even in pocket digital cameras, anything over 6MP is effectively useless because the CMOS sensors in those are so small that your SNR (signal to noise ratio) of incoming light to sensor noise swamps out any benefit from more pixels in the same surface area. Megapixels are just marketing mumbo-jumbo outside of digital SLRs that have 4x - 20x the sensor surface area for gathering light than even the best pocket camera (the Sony ones with APS sensors are not really "pocket" sized).

Then you get to the phone space, where the sensor has 10%, at best, of the surface area of a cheap pocket digital camera. Software noise reduction can only do so much to try to make up for the physical limitations of the camera hardware.

6. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    614 threads
    8,794 comments

6   6:08am Tue 5 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

I doubt that Ubuntu would ever get put onto production hand-held devices.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

7. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    255 threads
    3,075 comments
    San Francisco, CA

7   8:33am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Good post, esp. the fact that Apple is completely missing out on the car and appliance market which RIMM is trying to repopulate, Thought RIMM was done, but it's getting interesting again. But I hope Apple will keep making money because if they tank eventually we will have to bail them out because we cannot afford an entire nation of boomers riverboating and gambling in the market to lose their retirement - but, but my stockbroker said it can only go up!!

8. SoftShell

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,292 comments
    Abilene, TX

8   7:18pm Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Ipad is way too heavy compared to any phone on the market...
    Android is the wave of the future.
    Get on the train, or get out of the way!

robertoaribas says

nevertheless, it isn't a problem. I just plug it in my car, or my office. However the damn ipad will run for days and days without being plugged in, and I watch movies on it all the time with amazon prime or netflix.

9. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,641 comments

9   7:30pm Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Apple just announced 128gig iphone.

not the iphone that is innovative.. nor is the 128g iphone..

but the whole 128 gig nand memory market is very innovative..
    The Koreans and Japanese GET IT... but we dont make nand
    like the Korean and Japanese have so dominated the market.

10. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    246 threads
    5,353 comments
    Davis, CA

10   1:28pm Wed 30 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

So I see these as a PC companion, among other things, and not the PC replacement.

Different tools.

What you are missing, is that lots of people have more interest in CONSUMING information not doing complex manipulation. Even those of us who work in computer science, when I'm not working I want things as simple as possible. Remote control simple. Apple mastered that, Microsoft never did. For some people the only interactions they have are simple and easily handled by an appliance device. My parents for example I used to have a ThinkNIC device to give them a SIMPLE bulletproof computer. Do you need a full computer to check prescriptions or MediCare website or send a few emails? Nope. Replaced the ThinkNIC when it died with my old 1st-gen iPad. There are some people who will NEVER own a desktop computer but will have a smartphone or tablet. Hard to believe but true.

The laptop/desktop will not die. However say in 2004 you wanted to do some trivial interaction like transfer money between 2 bank accounts to avoid overdraft. You might have whipped out the laptop you packed around everywhere. Did you need a laptop for that job? No, but it was the "least" tech you could carry around that would easily accomplish those tasks. Now you no longer carry that laptop everywhere, you carry a smaller device that is handier. I do expect laptop/desktop to decrease in numbers. They last longer than they used to and frankly we've hit a point of diminishing returns for "faster/better" in terms of next year's model. The desktop I'm using I put together in 2006 and will probably use it until 2016!

I doubt you've listened to anything I say Captain, but I had to try.

11. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    614 threads
    8,794 comments

11   1:36pm Wed 30 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

I read everything you have to say Vince.
    And I agree with everything you said, especially the "The laptop/desktop will not die. " part. But I do agree that their numbers will diminish, and you are right, Moores law seems to have plateaued, and the interest in defeating Moores law has diminished with it.
    It will be interesting to see how the PC market plays out in the future.
    Since critical mass wont be a price point factor, we could very well see the return of $3000 entry level PCs and laptops. That the few PC holdouts will have no choice but to carry that burden, as the Facebook users wont be sharing the load of volume production setting a low price point.

I also see Android OS or some flavor there of, being a standard fixture in any appliance or electronic device that needs a control panel. But I also see Android splitting from Google and becoming their entity.

12. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

12   4:55pm Wed 30 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Sounds a lot like that Black Mirror episode:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=buhQ_864GoI

Check it out. Also, a nice glimpse of Kevin's ideal future.

Patrick says

When my iPad refused to let me control the volume during a commercial on Pandora, the spell was broken: http://patrick.net/forum/?p=1220062

13. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    4,098 comments
    Monterey, CA

13   8:21pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

Shouldn't you be complaining about Pandora rather than Apple?

14. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

14   1:35pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

For the record, my wife is Cantonese (from HK), so people that buy into the "Asian girls love iPhones" stereotype should be extra shocked. lol

My ex-wife had a Macaw that could say "cocksucker" in Cantonese.

...btw - interesting assessment of Apple.

15. Mick Russom

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    7 threads
    582 comments
    Belmont, CA

15   8:25pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

bullcrap, apple products seem to have legendary battery life, compared to their competitors.

Ive had a galaxy nexus and a nexus 4 that proves you wrong. And its unlocked. And it works with prepaids like Straight Talk which leads to unlim talk text data for $45 a mo.

And you walk around with a siri thats a joke, a locked phone, a contract, pay for data, and a jailed OS that prevents you from doing anything that the rats at apple dont want.

And defending apple after than maps fiasco, man , thats as sharp as a bowling ball.

One button interface, lol.

16. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

16   11:13am Tue 5 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Well shit, you learn something new every day! I gotta check that out!

17. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,641 comments

17   9:12pm Wed 13 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

bmwman91 says

So, what says P.net about rumors of an iWatch?

someone at Apple picked up an old Dick Tracy comic book and had an earth shattering idea...

anyway.. underneath it all, end of the day.. its all about the semiconductors.. he who controls the semiconductor can create many many things...

18. taketheplunge

Follow
    Befriend
    18 threads
    30 comments
    San Francisco, CA

18   8:11am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I didn't realize Apple was launching an 128GB iPhone, but that's great news. I would eventually like to have all of my music, podcasts, educational seminars on my phone with me without running into my carrier's bandwidth caps. One more step in doubling flash memory might not be that innovative, but it goes one more step to solving problems I'm having with storage.

19. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    612 threads
    7,080 comments

19   8:17am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

taketheplunge says

I didn't realize Apple was launching an 128GB iPhone, but that's great news. I would eventually like to have all of my music, podcasts, educational seminars on my phone with me without running into my carrier's bandwidth caps. One more step in doubling flash memory might not be that innovative, but it goes one more step to solving problems I'm having with storage.

Now, you'll just have to carry a car battery with you to keep it running all day!!

20. SoftShell

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,292 comments
    Abilene, TX

20   8:57am Tue 29 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)  

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3...
    Never have drained the battery in one day despite heavy usage...
    Usually have half charge left when I start charging at night

CaptainShuddup is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 97 milliseconds to create.