It's not polite to stare...

By CaptainShuddup   Follow   Wed, 30 Jan 2013, 5:11pm   493 views   11 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

How come it's always been impolite to stare, but it's not to take a picture of strangers and share with a million people to endlessly gawk at, on social media.

That has always been the social norm across all ethnic groups and societies though out history. Digital cameras are relatively new, and the cheap and easy instant access to photos is unprecedented and just as new. With film photography, people were more selective on their subjects and generally didn't go around taking snapshots of complete strangers. Unless they were journalist, but even they were selective on the subjects they chose. They generally didn't take a picture of every idiot they ran across, because they were expected to provide a story with the photos.

DO you think the societal norm on privacy and space will ever catch up with technology, were people know they could film or snap a shot of a complete stranger doing something stupid to post it on instagram, facebook a tweet or a million other ways to share this frivolous information, but they will chose not to, because it would be rude. Will sharing other people in most cases against their knowledge or even consent for that matter, ever be considered bad manners? Or who am I kidding there's probably a better chance of it being rude to talk about religion and politics again. Before it would be taboo to take a picture of a hideous stranger eating 5 big macs, or guy being pushed on a subway platform.

Viewing Comments 1-11 of 11     Last »     See most liked comments

1. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    207 threads
    7,649 comments

1   9:21pm Wed 30 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

It is impolite to shoot pictures of strangers. But I would say that it's mostly impolite to them, that is to the strangers getting their picture taken without permission.

The typical person seeing the picture you post, isn't thinking about whether it was impolite or not. In fact, if it's amusing, they say, "thanks for sharing."

Contrasting this with the other case. It's a group thing, in the moment.

Say we are on the subway, and you are staring at a beautiful woman. That is you don't take you'r eyes off of her. THat makes her uncomfortable - she's gonna think it's rude. But also anyone seeing you doing that thinks, "that guy is a jerk." It's kind of a minor faux paux, but still, not cool man, obviously. And everyone knows that. I learned it in the 5th grade (I'm pretty sure I looked at that girl WAY too much).

THere's something about not being in a group, and how the picture is removed in time and space from when you shot it. But still, at the time that you shoot it, it is technically a bit rude.

A friend of mine who was a photograoher that I traveled with many decades ago would sometimes shoot people without even bringing his camera up to his face (the viewfinder - or through the lens view). He would point and shoot and they would have no idea their picture was taken.

This is kind of like the question. If a tree falls and nobody is in the woods, does it make a sound ?

If you shoot a strangers picture, and they don't know it, is it rude ?(definitely yes, if they see themselves on facebook or reddit doing something really stupid.)

So, umm...Captian. Do you, or someone you know, by any chance show up in one of those weird internet pictures ? Perhaps at walmart ?

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,003 threads
    12,486 comments

2   5:13am Thu 31 Jan 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

marcus says

Say we are on the subway, and you are staring at a beautiful woman. That is you don't take you'r eyes off of her. THat makes her uncomfortable - she's gonna think it's rude. But also anyone seeing you doing that thinks, "that guy is a jerk." It's kind of a minor faux paux, but still, not cool man, obviously. And everyone knows that. I learned it in the 5th grade (I'm pretty sure I looked at that girl WAY too much).

Exactly but if you pull out your iPhone and snap a picture of her, She might feel uncomfortable, but nobody wouldn't think anything of it. And if she protested, most on the bus would think she was being the jerk.

marcus says

So, umm...Captian. Do you, or someone you know, by any chance show up in one of those weird internet pictures ? Perhaps at walmart ?

No I just see all of pictures of people on the internet of people that the Photographer obviously didn't know. It's the norm, even video of people you don't know, stands a great chance of making it's rounds as being an internet meme and a featured segment of being on Inside Edition.
    Like that stupid/poor lady that walked into the Mall water fountain a year or so back. While that was obviously acceptable at the time, (we are an idiot society playing with our new found toys), I would like to think there will come a day, where the mall, the guard, inside edition, and the social media website where the video was uploaded could be liable for a big law suit, but ultimately the person that took the photo or video then shared it without explicit permission from the subject.

I mean why the hell not? Even Burger King has signs that read... "No video or photography permitted."

3. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,003 threads
    12,486 comments

3   6:02am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  
  4. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,062 threads
    13,600 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

4   7:50am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The erosion and almost complete removal of privacy has been a long process in the United States, starting in WWII or immediately afterwards. By the 1980s, it was already a huge problem.

Today, you have no real privacy. It has nothing to do with digital cameras or social media. We lost the war on privacy rights to our government and corporations long ago.

5. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    50 threads
    2,531 comments
    32 male

5   8:14am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The amish still don't want you taking pictures of them. I remember around the time when that nutcase went into the school house and slaughtered those poor little girls, there was so much media here disrespecting them and taking pictures.

I think its based in their religion somehow "thou shalt take no engraven image" or something, and I feel there's definitely somthing to it. They don't waste their time with the silly vanity and look at me bullshit modern people do. That and your own peoples you interact with, you keep your favorite mental image of them in your brains storage rather than nitpicking over imperfections of a photograph

6. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,003 threads
    12,486 comments

6   8:20am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

In Peru when you visit sites and ruins, where people still dress in indigenous clothing. You have to pay/tip them if you want to take a picture of them. The Tour guide made that quite clear before he would let the group get off the bus.
    You can take picture of the building and rocks and the Quechua lady sporting a black derby hat wrapped in colorful blankets with a baby on her back, unless you pay them.

7. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,873 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

7   9:37am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

I believe that Native Americans used to believe that taking a photo was something akin to stealing their soul... Now, it's a way to make money.

I have a fried who posts every photo to fb - what he eats, where he lives, etc. And also when he's on vacation; this is linked to his business address. Like an invitation to steal his life away, I think.

8. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,003 threads
    12,486 comments

8   10:12am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

elliemae says

Dislike (1)

There really are some low life wretches around here.

9. mell

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    296 threads
    3,793 comments
    San Francisco, CA

9   10:17am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

marcus says

Say we are on the subway, and you are staring at a beautiful woman. That is you don't take you'r eyes off of her. THat makes her uncomfortable - she's gonna think it's rude.

Not if I do it :)

10. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    207 threads
    7,649 comments

10   6:25am Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

There really are some low life wretches around here.

Yeah, or just really stupid. It's like "googoo gaga... I don't like like you. So I'm going to dislike your post. "

He or she either doesn't respect Patrick or the forum enough to allow the possibility of the "like" and "dislike" feature having any meaning, or value to the forum. Or he doesn't even have the intelligence to know what the like and dislike feature is supposed to be for.

But, then again, who cares? I kind of like that I have personal trolls that follow me around to dislike my comments, even when they aren't about politics. I'm sure they don't take the time to read or comprehend them.

11. marcus

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    207 threads
    7,649 comments

11   6:53am Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

mell says

Not if I do it :)

True. There are exceptions. For example if you're extremely effeminate, they will assume you are admiring the way they did their hair or something. But even then, it's a little rude if you just stare.

CaptainShuddup is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 60 milliseconds to create.