IRS: Cheapest Obamacare Plan Will Be $20,000 Per Family

By zzyzzx   Follow   Fri, 1 Feb 2013, 7:24am   1,883 views   25 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/irs-cheapest-obamacare-plan-will-be-20000-family

(CNSNews.com) – In a final regulation issued Wednesday, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) assumed that under Obamacare the cheapest health insurance plan available in 2016 for a family will cost $20,000 for the year.

Under Obamacare, Americans will be required to buy health insurance or pay a penalty to the IRS.

The IRS's assumption that the cheapest plan for a family will cost $20,000 per year is found in examples the IRS gives to help people understand how to calculate the penalty they will need to pay the government if they do not buy a mandated health plan.

The examples point to families of four and families of five, both of which the IRS expects in its assumptions to pay a minimum of $20,000 per year for a bronze plan.

“The annual national average bronze plan premium for a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) is $20,000,” the regulation says.

Viewing Comments 1-25 of 25     Last »     See most liked comments

1. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    545 threads
    3,200 comments

1   7:31am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

That is the cheapest plan!! Remember if your company offers you a health plan for 26k or so, Obamacare will now tax you 40% . So that is just 6k higher than the cheapest plan. Nice.

Gas has shot up, healthcare has shot up, housing has shot up, college has shot up and yet inflation is always magically low. Obamacare also will tax Medical devices and a whole bunch of other stuff. We already have meicaid for poor folks and rich people can afford healthcare. It would have been cheaper to expand medicaid eligibility to the middle class than this nonsense.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

2   7:56am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

We gong chase those crazy bald heads outta town!

3. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

3   8:01am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Let's all calm down! Leo or Iwog will be along shortly with a snopes article.

4. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

4   8:16am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

But wait there's more...

Federal Rule Limits Aid to Families Who Can’t Afford Employers’ Health Coverage

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration adopted a strict definition of affordable health insurance on Wednesday that will deny federal financial assistance to millions of Americans with modest incomes who cannot afford family coverage offered by employers.

In deciding whether an employer’s health plan is affordable, the Internal Revenue Service said it would look at the cost of coverage only for an individual employee, not for a family. Family coverage might be prohibitively expensive, but federal subsidies would not be available to help buy insurance for children in the family.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/31/us/politics/irs-to-base-insurance-affordability-on-single-coverage.html

KarlRoveIsScum says

Was it not reported that health insurance for a family of 4 is upwards of $25K now!

Stop moaning y'all.

The IRS is only "assuming" a family of 5 is $20k

Was this not called "The Affordable Healthcare act."

5. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

5   11:09am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

A couple of weeks ago, Micha Rahder got a disturbing letter. It said that she no longer had health insurance -- and was required to as a graduate student at the University of California, Santa Cruz.

The problem was -- it was her own school's insurance policy that was dropping her.

Rahder, 30, was losing insurance because she had reached the lifetime limit of coverage under the University of California's student health insurance plan. She suffers from a rare disorder that requires her to get regular and expensive IV treatments every four weeks.

6. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

6   11:25am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

Who's on the wrong side of history nyaow byeotch?

7. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

7   11:35am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

KarlRoveIsScum says

That's a 20% presumed CUT! on healthcare costs

Of course it is, like Obama is a great president, and there isn't any inflation, and the Guitmo base is closed, and the illegal aliens are now esteemed and honored guest, Well OK that part is actually true.

I'm paying 16K for GOLD coverage now for Florida Blue. Reportedly the best coverage one can get in Florida. But even that sucks!
    20K is for BRONZE coverage not Silver, not Gold but the shittiest plan they will offer. Which if I took Bronze coverage I would only pay $365 a month, instead of $320 a week.

8. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

8   11:46am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Obama care isn't an insurance plan.

I have a family of six and my employer pays $28k for insurance. $20k sounds about right for an average family.

9. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

9   11:53am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

So let me get this straight!

A family of 5 decided that after they pay their mortgage, insurance, buy food, save for retirement, college, lights, water, food, car, car insurance, cell phone, house phone, cable television, internet connectivity, and the myriad assortment of life's other bills and challenges, that there just wasn't 25K left over to buy health insurance at the end of the year.

And they figured out that they could go to some Doctors offices cheaper than most insurance copays, out of pocket, and deductibles, with out the premiums. So they decided they could live a full and productive life quite well and comfortably with out that 25K premium.

So Obama SAID the problem was affordability, so he fixed it with legislation that(According to Nancy Pelosi, no fucking body even READ!!!!!!) and what did he call it... it's right on the tip of my tongue... OH YEAH! Affordable Healthcare ACT!

So President Numbnuts thinks that a fucking 5 thousand dollar discrepancy between 20K and 25K would make it all more appealing?

You folks are more delusional than I ever imagined. In my wildest fucking dreams. This is far far away and beyond Lala land.

10. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

10   11:56am Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

Obama's Lizard skin is shedding... Better call damage control.

11. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

11   12:01pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

It would be interesting to see the national statistics on Heart attacks that happens today, vs the rest of the year.

12. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

12   12:28pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike   Protected  

There is no free market for essential health care. There never was and never can be.

A free market requires at least these two essential factors:

* Prices must be presented in advance so that the customer can compare suppliers.
    * The customer must be able to choose to walk away.

But price lists by procedure code are extremely difficult to get, perhaps impossible.

And customers requiring life-saving medical care do not have the ability to walk away. Maybe not even to walk at all.

So the amounts that medical providers charge are limited only by how much money you have.

In the case of such a colossal free-market failure, the government should fix prices. That's one thing that's missing from Obamacare.

Another thing that's missing is an upper limit on premiums. Though maybe that's really saying the same thing.

13. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

13   12:44pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

KarlRoveIsScum says

Do you know the difference between OBAMA and THE IRS, one is President and the other is an Agency of the Government.

The last I heard, it's called Obamacare not IRScare.

People are expected to own their SHIT, where I'm from.
    I don't care you guys do it in Fruityville, this is the Goddamn United States of Ameirca, and I still Hold people accountable for their word.

14. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

14   12:45pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

Though I R Scared does have a nice ring to it.

15. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,315 comments
    Baltimore, MD

15   12:50pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

She suffers from a rare disorder that requires her to get regular and expensive IV treatments every four weeks.

Then she needs to learn how to do those at home.

16. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,315 comments
    Baltimore, MD

16   12:52pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

I'm paying 16K for GOLD coverage now for Florida Blue. Reportedly the best coverage one can get in Florida. But even that sucks!

At your age, 16K for gold coverage sounds cheap. You are an old fart, aren't you?

17. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,548 comments

17   12:53pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Kevin said: my employer pays $28k for insurance.
    You'll be an interesting test case to watch as this is over the Cadillac Tax limit (family plans over $27.5k). Either the insurance premiums:
    1. Stay flat (or go down slightly to hit the limit)
    2. Copays get raised to lower premiums
    3. Your employer pays the 40% tax (in 2018)

Pay attention to your W-2s this year as health insurance premiums will be listed (for informational purposes).

18. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

18   1:03pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (9)   Dislike (1)  

I was wondering how long it would take for the new and degraded 121212 to go kookoo batshit on us.

19. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    55 threads
    2,105 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

19   1:40pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I posted this in the wrong thread.
    Ok for an average hard working American family living on reduced wages, or more likely, reduced business profits, thanks to a protracted depression, how will be required to buy medical insurance for all five family members. If their income is $50k, that $20k is not going to leave much to live on, after taxes take their inevitable bite.
    So what you'll have is a family of five with crappy cheap healthcare trying to survive on Top Ramen and the cheapest crappiest food out there. That will make their health worse, so they'll be in the clinic constantly, with all the other families in their situation.
    Before, they wouldn't buy insurance, take their chances, roll the dice, and live normal lives as long as they stayed relatively healthy. Now they have to scrape by.

Growing up, my dad never had the best jobs that provided health insurance. So we never had any. Ever. He still doesn't. That scenario isn't fiction. I lived it, growing up. I'm fortunate enough to have a job with benefits that cover me and my family. But most aren't as lucky.

I think many will be paying that $700 fine for having no insurance.

Net result for that family: $3500 to the government for the privilege of having no insurance like they had before Obama was elected.

20. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

20   3:51pm Fri 1 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

KarlRoveIsScum says

You moan and bitch, you ask why is this , and why is that.

You are not interested in anything other than yourself.

CPT'ASKHOLE!

Dude, you need to cut down on the caffeine!!! How many more screen names are you going to create 121212, Thedaytoday, Politicofact and now KarlRove???

You need to get a life!!

21. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,315 comments
    Baltimore, MD

21   6:11am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

KarlRoveIsScum says

No, you changed the title and it's still wrong.

No I didn't! However, there is a completely separate thread on the same subject matter that somebody else created after I created this thread. That and the title comes from the article, so if you don't like the thread title, blame the liberal media CBS News, not me.

22. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,315 comments
    Baltimore, MD

22   6:12am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

KarlRoveIsScum says

Obamacare for an individual will be $110 to $125 a month.

Is that for every age group for an individual, or just young people? Do you have a link?

23. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    545 threads
    3,200 comments

23   6:18am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

Obamacare for an individual will be $110 to $125

Yes, interesting-do you have a link KarlRove?

24. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

24   8:14am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

KarlRoveIsScum says

zzyzzx says

IRS: Cheapest Obamacare Plan Will Be $20,000 Per Family

No, you changed the title and it's still wrong.

No he fixed the title. I'm paying a little over 16K for a Gold plan to insure me, my wife, two kids under 18 and one that is 22.

The article is about the Bronze plan, now I know YOU think that if you buffalo everyone disagree with, then spam the whole site with quotes taken out of context, then we'll all see the light and catch Liberaitus selective rage.

25. cecil

Follow
    Befriend
    2 comments

25   9:27am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

i've been shopping around and even lame insurance for a family of 4 is at least 20 grand if you are self employed, even going through some sort of professional group (I was looking at the Ca Farm Bureau). The Affordable Care Act will subsidize families with less than 120k in income. Why is everyone so upset? this should actually help some folks and get people to stop using the ER for everything. The 20k figure is probably an average, health care coverage seems to vary from state to state.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 242 milliseconds to create.