Why police lie under oath

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Sat, 2 Feb 2013, 8:42pm   429 views   9 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/opinion/sunday/why-police-officers-lie-under-oath.html?hp&_r=0

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,062 threads
    13,600 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

1   9:00pm Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Police lie because they believe the ends justify the means. That's the exact same reason most state evil occurs including the Holocaust, torture, rape as punish, and slavery. The ends always justify the means.

Of course, the police use lies against innocent people too. No human has 100% accuracy in judging the guilt of another person. Police, trained to suspect everyone, are far more likely to think an innocent person is guilty. And since there is no punish for the police when they are wrong, there is no incentive to correct this behavior.

I would never trust the police or any professional, career witness in a trial. If you are groomed and compensated for giving testimony, your testimony is worthless.

Furthermore, no cop is ever prosecuted for perjury because the court systems and the judges need the police. As a result, court systems will always tolerate, and even encourage, police corruption.

2. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,062 threads
    13,600 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

2   9:04pm Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

“our primary job is not to help anybody, our primary job is not to assist anybody, our primary job is to get those numbers and come back with them.” He continued: “At the end of the night you have to come back with something. You have to write somebody, you have to arrest somebody, even if the crime is not committed, the number’s there. So our choice is to come up with the number.”

That is the kind of evil that should never be tolerated, even once, in a just society. Where are all those gun-totting militias again?

3. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    35 threads
    6,714 comments
    San Jose, CA

3   9:18pm Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

“our primary job is not to help anybody, our primary job is not to assist anybody, our primary job is to get those numbers and come back with them.” He continued: “At the end of the night you have to come back with something. You have to write somebody, you have to arrest somebody, even if the crime is not committed, the number’s there. So our choice is to come up with the number.”

That is the kind of evil that should never be tolerated, even once, in a just society. Where are all those gun-totting militias again?

They're over here:
    http://www.patrick.net/forum/?p=1221446

4. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,869 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

4   9:22pm Sat 2 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Officers lie because they buy into the hype - that they are above the law. They don't have the follow the same rules as the rest of us do.

5. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

5   1:20pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Isn't the the whole point of a trail? So the guilty can lie under oath.

6. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,869 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

6   11:43am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

Yes. Thanks for asking.

I was in an accident where an idiot pulled in front of me, out of the HOV lane into the fast lane in heavy traffic, then stopped. He admitted guilt at the time, but later said it wasn't his fault. Even though he was the only one ticketed, the hearing master said I was also at fault.

The little mormon returned missionary piece of shit lied. His statement included the words "as a returned missionary, I don't lie."

yea.

7. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

7   12:27pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

CaptainShuddup says

Trial not Trail, sorry if I sent anyone down the wrong path!

8. gbenson

Follow
    Befriend
    17 threads
    426 comments

8   1:17pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I had a traffic cop swear that he took the radar gun out of the car and with him every time he exited the car, (lunch, bathroom). He knew I was angling at going after calibration and the owners manual specifically stated not to leave it in a hot vehicle or the calibration could go out of whack. So he just flat out lied.

I ended up getting him another way and got out of the ticket, but still it irked the crap out of me that he would sit there and say that and the judge didn't even bat an eye.

9. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,001 threads
    12,466 comments

9   1:40pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Well I'm sure he needs his Radar gun when he goes to the head, so he could do mirror poses, of whipping it out and drawing down on an unsuspecting motorist.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 130 milliseconds to create.