CBS Bans SodaStream Ad. Where's The Outrage?

By Patrick   Follow   Sun, 3 Feb 2013, 6:11pm   1,214 views   23 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

http://www.forbes.com/sites/willburns/2013/01/31/cbs-bans-sodastream-ad-wheres-the-outrage/?source=Patrick.net

Hmmm, the fact that Coke and Pepsi feel threatened is good! This make me inclined to buy more stock in SodaStream.

Viewing Comments 1-23 of 23     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,657 threads
    6,333 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

1   6:13pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yes, prolly so.

Problem is the inherent and necessary weight of containers that store compressed gasses.

2. jvolstad

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    1,096 threads
    1,421 comments
    San Antonio, TX
    jvolstad's website

2   6:26pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

That looks like an interesting product.

3. Oxygen

Follow
    Befriend
    15 threads
    216 comments
    Brooklyn, NY

3   7:07pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

drink tea

4. Kevin

Follow
    Befriend
    41 threads
    2,655 comments

4   7:20pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Soda is terrible for you. Making it cheaper and easier to get doesn't seem like a good move.

Deserts aren't food, people.

5. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

5   8:03pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Kevin says

Soda is terrible for you.

Cola, yes. Bad for the bones. Soda water doesn't hurt a goddamn thing. I'm a walking antique and drink fizzy water every day.

6. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,108 comments
    San Jose, CA

6   8:07pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Kevin says

Soda is terrible for you. Making it cheaper and easier to get doesn't seem like a good move.

You're right! Drink more beer!

7. Mick Russom

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    7 threads
    582 comments
    Belmont, CA

7   8:21pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Kevin says

We should get the overbearing police state in play today to ban terrible things. You should be the chairman of the committee to decide what we should and should not be eating and drinking.

Brawndo has electrolytes.

8. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

8   8:25pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Kevin says

like mothers milk .... its all natural

9. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    258 threads
    5,686 comments
    Davis, CA

9   9:20pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Sodastream is my addiction.

I like that I can mix up flavors to my taste and not just "pick from the menu". Lately I like their "Zero" syrup as the base with a little bit of the orange & cranberry on top. Next month I may mix something different.

I like that I am using local water, and keep using the same bottles.

I don't like the pricing for the CO2 refills. There's an adapter that lets you use paintball cylinders instead, maybe I'll try that.

10. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,108 comments
    San Jose, CA

10   9:37pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Vicente says

Sodastream is my addiction.

I like that I can mix up flavors to my taste and not just "pick from the menu". Lately I like their "Zero" syrup as the base with a little bit of the orange & cranberry on top. Next month I may mix something different.

I like that I am using local water, and keep using the same bottles.

I don't like the pricing for the CO2 refills. There's an adapter that lets you use paintball cylinders instead, maybe I'll try that.

Just make sure to get the food grade variety.

Is it possible to plug in a larger tank to a sodastream?

11. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    258 threads
    5,686 comments
    Davis, CA

11   9:55pm Sun 3 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

New Renter says

Is it possible to plug in a larger tank to a sodastream?

Yes, there are options for tank conversion kits in the aftermarket. Maybe someday I'll do that with a large cylinder directly attached for better economy, but for now I like the small form factor for convenience in a crowded kitchen. I may buy an adapter kit, then keep a larger CO2 tank in storage and use it to refill my little cylinder as needed.

12. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    793 threads
    6,769 comments
    Baltimore, MD

12   7:14am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Kevin says

SodaStream isn't cheaper, just more convenient. Read the reviews on Amazon.

13. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    793 threads
    6,769 comments
    Baltimore, MD

13   7:15am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

This make me inclined to buy more stock in SodaStream.

You bought stock in SodaStream?

14. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,657 threads
    6,333 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

14   7:18am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I guess the commercial was shown after all.

Sodastream is accused of something illegal? What exactly?

I did buy stock in them, as kind of a fun bet that if they trapped me with their proprietary bottle connectors, the probably trapped a lot of other people too.

15. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,657 threads
    6,333 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

15   7:20am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Kevin says

Deserts aren't food, people.

I just make the fizzy water. No sugar or anything else in it. And Sodastream does let me make that for about 30 cents per liter, as opposed to about $1/liter in the store. And I don't have to cart it home or deal with empty water bottles. So it's an OK deal for the consumer.

16. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    793 threads
    6,769 comments
    Baltimore, MD

16   7:46am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

as opposed to about $1/liter in the store.

I can buy a 2 liter bottle of soda for 75 cents at Big Lots.

17. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    811 threads
    10,702 comments

17   8:24am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

KarlRoveIsScum says

There must be a market for a more portable soda stream

18. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    793 threads
    6,769 comments
    Baltimore, MD

18   10:26am Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

http://consumerist.com/2013/02/01/i-tell-sodastream-its-product-sends-me-straight-to-the-toilet-csr-has-a-good-chuckle/

Sodastream gives me the runs

Consumerist reader C. had a problem of a well, rather delicate nature. She writes that after receiving a SodaStream for Christmas, she was beyond excited to try it out, using a few of the company’s flavored syrups to make her own carbonated beverages at home. That excitement waned when she started experiencing an — how shall we say it? — ill health effect that sent her running for the bathroom every time she drank the stuff.

She adds, ” I have since purchased syrups from alternate sources. Sodastream will never get another dime from me!”

19. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    811 threads
    10,702 comments

19   12:28pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

What it's smaller than a bread box.

20. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    793 threads
    6,769 comments
    Baltimore, MD

20   4:40pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Anyone notice that the cat on the toilet looks like my avatar?

21. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,108 comments
    San Jose, CA

21   5:17pm Mon 4 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

zzyzzx says

I just assumed they WERE the same cat- your cat.

22. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    793 threads
    6,769 comments
    Baltimore, MD

22   12:18pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

New Renter says

zzyzzx says

I just assumed they WERE the same cat- your cat.

Many cats look the same. I am on my 5th basement cat.

23. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    811 threads
    10,702 comments

23   12:34pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

We had a cat show up at exactly 12 am December 25th during the holiday.
    It was so weird, we were expecting some of the wife's sisters to show up and drink Peruvian hot chocolate and eat panatone, my wife makes every Christmas eve and then exchange gifts.

The kids thought they heard a car pull up and when they opened the front door, the nicest, most beautiful and low keyed, layed back black cat you ever saw came prancing in like he owned the place. He's fixed, and he also smelled nice(Which is weird that I noticed, but he did). The kids asked around the next few days but none of the neighbors knew nothing about him.

Get this, we had this amazing Mouser outside cat Simon, for about 8 years. About three months ago, my daughter's friend gave them a beige colored tabby cat Laylow. The cat has tiger stripes but they are beige and brown like a Siamese cat motif. Laylow pestered Simon to the point that he never hangs out in the yard anymore. He just comes for food then bails, he likes to hang on the neighbors carport across the street. If we ever get mice Laylow has to go, because Simon really earned his keep around here for the 7-8 years we've had him.

How ever this black cat,(I still haven't figured out a name for him yet.) is a cool customer. Laylow was upset that this new cat came around and protest by growling. The black cat is non threatening, and yet seems unphased by Laylow's protests. It's like Laylow suspects this black cat is a badass, though I've never even seen this cat extend his claws let alone hiss at anyone or thing. So now Laylow sulks across the street with Simon, poor Simon, he just want's to be far away from Laylow, but Laylow want's to commiserate with Simon.
    Meanwhile the black Santa cat just lounges in the back patio like he runs the place.

It's like a regular kitty western theater.

I'll have to post pics when I get the time. He sorta looks like that black cat playing the violin.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 172 milliseconds to create.