Housing Already Shows Signs of a New Bubble

By bgamall4   Follow   Tue, 5 Feb 2013, 5:10pm   2,795 views   56 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (2)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/housing-already-shows-signs-bubble-162120345.html

When housing began to simmer back in 2002, prices were rising around seven percent a year, then eight percent in 2004 and a stunning 12 percent in 2005. At the time, words like "bubble," and "unsustainable," were uttered with every monthly reading. No one had seen home prices soar like that since the mid 1970's.

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 17-56 of 56     Last »     See most liked comments

1. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,260 threads
    7,953 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

17   8:52pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

iwog says

Current home prices are very much sustainable. More so than nearly any time in history. It's ridiculous to shout "bubble" when a $200,000 property on a 30-year fixed loan has a PITI of $1200. I was paying $1200 rent 20 years ago!

I have to disagree with this. Maybe not in Lafayette. But think about it. Without the prevalence of a 20 percent down mortgage, markets are being boosted by hedge funds paying cash and toxic loans with 3 percent or less down.

40 percent of Phoenix purchases are cash from mostly hedge funds. That is a massive manipulation that is unsustainable. The housing market being made up of skittish hedge funds and toxic buyers cannot be stable. It simply cannot remain stable. It will have massive spikes and massive crashes.

2. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

18   9:52pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bgamall4 says

It simply cannot remain stable. It will have massive spikes and massive crashes.

You still poking around Palm Springs, Mal? I stopped in there last weekend for an evening coffee on my way back from Joshua Tree where I keep a place. I hadn't been downtown there in years. It looked like a theme park.

3. Philistine

Follow
    Befriend
    695 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

19   9:59pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

JodyChunder says

You still poking around Palm Springs

For some odd reason, we like Palm Springs. It's great for getting really hot and really drunk and lying by a pool and doing nothing. My kind of vacay.

We have poked around Palm Springs looking to buy a house as a vacation rental/long term retirement house. Since specuvestors have ruined the traditional rental property market, we figured vacation rental might be the last edge of un-hyped investment opportunity.

And then we woke up with a hangover and a sunburn and said, shit, we better get back to the gin before the headaches ruin our good time.

4. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

20   10:03pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

underwaterman says

iwog says

One segment of the population that has done just fine is the top 1% courtesy of the Republican party.

Totally agree with this one. What ZIRP has done has transferred wealth from the 99% to the 1% with the most going to the upper end of that 1%.

Dont you all feel its a bit ironic that the most and highly inflated homes happen to be in the most UBER LIBERAL regions of the Country.. SFBA... and who has been the biggest cheerleader on Real Estate.. the liberals who distrust most real forms of investment infavor of Real Estate... after all.. it was Liberals like Clinton who Championed home ownership as a path to wealth and community... all talking points
    from the NAR.

5. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

21   10:07pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It used to be a real fun getaway back in the late fifties up until about '67. It might've been great after that, but I passed through only sporadically after the summer of '67. There is something about that terrain that made it a beautiful place to get stoned. I drank a quart of Rodrigo everyday before suppertime when I'd visit!

It still retains some of it's original charm, but it's just a little too glossy; too slick in my opinion. Joshua Tree has more of what I like. If you're ever out that way, I recommend Sam's Pizza if you want a good curry. Just ate there last weekend. Honestly some of the best Indian food I've had in years.

6. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

22   1:34am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

underwaterman says

What ZIRP has done has transferred wealth from the 99% to the 1% with the most going to the upper end of that 1%.

How has it done that?

7. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

23   6:01am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Dont you all feel its a bit ironic that the most and highly inflated homes happen to be in the most UBER LIBERAL regions of the Country..

Conservatives are uber stingy, not to mention the ignorant rednecks on welfare. So yes, it doesn't surprise me a bit.

8. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

24   7:44am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

bgamall4 says

40 percent of Phoenix purchases are cash from mostly hedge funds. That is a massive manipulation that is unsustainable. The housing market being made up of skittish hedge funds and toxic buyers cannot be stable. It simply cannot remain stable. It will have massive spikes and massive crashes.

Yup, and when these hedge funds find out how much FUN it is to be a landlord, deal with evictions and have to replace/repair all the items in the houses their tenants destroy when they move out, they'll look back at their 2% return on their previous investments and think, why the hell did I leave them.

These hedge funds will exit this market just as fast as they entered....

9. tatupu70

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    26 threads
    8,389 comments

25   7:51am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bgamall4 says

40 percent of Phoenix purchases are cash from mostly hedge funds. That is a
    massive manipulation that is unsustainable

It's not manipulation, it's closer to risk free arbitrage. When price/rent ratio gets back into whack, the investor purchases will stop and you'll have a normal market again.

10. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

26   7:52am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

Yup, and when these hedge funds find out how much FUN it is to be a landlord, deal with evictions and have to replace/repair all the items in the houses their tenants destroy when they move out, they'll look back at their 2% return on their previous investments and think, why the hell did I leave them.

Institutional landlords know exactly what expected costs are associated with rental real estate. Since they own hundreds of properties, these costs can be budgeted to an extremely high degree of accuracy.

I currently have 7 renters and I have yet to experience a single case of tenants destroying the property when they move out. Even if they did, insurance would cover most of it.

11. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

27   7:56am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

iwog says

I currently have 7 renters and I have yet to experience a single case of tenants destroying the property when they move out. Even if they did, insurance would cover most of it.

I think the difference is you hand selecting your tenants. You're the actual owner, so you have a vested interest.

These institutional guys are letting someone else manage their rentals. A property manager won't be as critical as you are, they're just handling the "churn" of renters...

12. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    392 threads
    20,774 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

28   8:02am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

These institutional guys are letting someone else manage their rentals. A property manager won't be as critical as you are, they're just handling the "churn" of renters...

You think a property manager would keep his job long if he kept renting to tenants who destroyed the property?

13. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

29   8:09am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

iwog says

You think a property manager would keep his job long if he kept renting to tenants who destroyed the property?

Well, he doesn't find that out until AFTER the fact....

Is that a question on the rental application? "Will you destroy the place when you move out? Check "Yes" or "No"...

14. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

30   8:13am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Remember this article??

Och-Ziff hedge fund looks to exit landlord business
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/17/us-foreclosed-hedgefunds-idUSBRE89G1TE20121017

....."One of the first big hedge funds to try to profit from a rebound in the U.S. housing market by investing in foreclosed homes is looking to cash out, even as other institutional investors are still getting in."

....."Earlier this year, proponents of investing in foreclosed homes were projecting a return of at least 8 percent a year from renting them out.

....."But the New York-based hedge fund is looking to sell now because the returns it is generating from rental income are less than expected and it is looking to take advantage of a recent rebound in home prices in northern California, the sources said."

I expect more to follow that same pattern....

15. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

31   8:43am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

As a homeowner. I have absolutely no doubt we are in a bubble again and here's why:

1: There is no inventory. If inventory were normal, there would be less competition.
    2: Interest rates are ridiculously low. They can't stay low like that forever. But in the meantime that has meant:
    A: Market is flooded by investors buying up every low-ball home in existence
    B: Money is artificially cheap.
    3: Again- Investors are buying a lot of the stock. At some point the equation isn't going to work as well for them once the market catches up and levels off. Many will then sell all at once, cheapening the market.
    4: Banks are not releasing a lot of their real estate holdings on the market but probably will once the market picks up sustained steam.

16. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

32   9:47am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

robertoaribas says

Even the article says they are selling them precisely because prices have gone up... Investors selling when prices are much higher than when they bought, there is concept you might try next time around!

You still have reading comprehension problems... it never ends...

Call it Crazy says

"But the New York-based hedge fund is looking to sell now because the returns it is generating from rental income are less than expected

They're NOT selling because they want to make a quick buck..

They're selling because the return on investment wasn't what they thought it would be.....

17. gbenson

Follow
    Befriend
    17 threads
    426 comments

33   10:40am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

Agents are piss poor at handling rentals

Ain't that the truth. I am on the HOA board at one of the place and one of the worth landlords we have in there is a real estate agent. He just told me he's renewing the lease on one of his 'great tenants' because he doesn't want to see her leave.

These are the same tenants that are the subject multiple complaints from other owners, won't follow the rules, have moved in a few additional family members, and are trashing his place. He's going to be on the hook for $10k in repairs once she moves out (if he's lucky).

18. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

34   10:46am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

Even the article says they are selling them precisely because prices have gone up...

Incredible. You're obviouly seeing only what you want to see. This is what the article said. "But the New York-based hedge fund is looking to sell now because the returns it is generating from rental income are less than expected and it is looking to take advantage of a recent rebound in home prices in northern California, the sources said. "

They're trying to get out with their skin while they still can. They're smart and not in denial. Blackstone's probably shitting their pants too but no one's written anything about it yet. They're in way deeper.

19. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

35   10:51am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

ELC says

robertoaribas says

Even the article says they are selling them precisely because prices have gone up...

Incredible. You're obviouly seeing only what you want to see. This is what the article said. "But the New York-based hedge fund is looking to sell now because the returns it is generating from rental income are less than expected and it is looking to take advantage of a recent rebound in home prices in northern California, the sources said. "

They're trying to get out with their skin.

Thanks for pointing that out to him.... I wasn't going to try a third time to try and penetrate his "rose colored glasses"...

20. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

36   11:06am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

Thanks for pointing that out to him.... I wasn't going to try a third time to try and penetrate his "rose colored glasses"...

Blackstone's not looking to good lately either.

21. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

37   11:13am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

underwaterman says

They have to keep lowering mortgage rates to keep the system afloat.

I wonder at what point, if any, the dumbed down public will start figuring out that, "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is."

22. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

38   11:16am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)  

robertoaribas says

Say, did you miss the point that they are selling at a profit? Funny that someone who sold a year ago didn't notice that little factoid?

If they were making the profit they wanted on the rents, they wouldn't have sold.... just so happens, they got lucky because housing prices ticked up, so they didn't lose their shirts when they exited the game....

I hope YOU will be so lucky with your empire!

23. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

39   2:44pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

24. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

40   2:45pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Dont you all feel its a bit ironic that the most and highly inflated homes happen to be in the most UBER LIBERAL regions of the Country.. SFBA..

Could be that those places are actually really nice places to live versus some hell-hole in the middle of nowwhere....

25. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

41   4:57pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

ELC says

underwaterman says

They have to keep lowering mortgage rates to keep the system afloat.

I wonder at what point, if any, the dumbed down public will start figuring out that, "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is."

Ugh. I bet you're one of these lofty-minded gimpers who go around calling people sheeple and shit like that...Most people with an IQ above room temperature readily comprehend that rates have been suppressed to keep the shit to shoe-level.

26. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

42   6:03pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

JodyChunder says

IQ above room temperature readily comprehend that rates have been suppressed to keep the shit to shoe-level.

Still upset that i don't like your tits?

27. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

43   6:10pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

ELC says

Still upset that i don't like your tits?

Tee hee! Why would I be upset over another man's opinions of my beautiful physique? I'm just generally grossed-out by anyone fancying themselves somehow a peg or two above the fray. Especially a FLA cracker. That makes it, like...somehow...just so much worse.

28. waiting_for_the_fall

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    5 threads
    254 comments
    Half Moon Bay, CA

44   7:57pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

Underwear licker:

You really are a disgusting creep. What would your colleagues think if they read the crap you write on this blog?

29. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,260 threads
    7,953 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

45   9:16pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

maybe a longer term horizon than 3 days?

I would watch this stock price very carefully. They may be in over their heads with real estate. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/17/us-foreclosed-hedgefunds-idUSBRE89G1TE20121017

Sorry Robt, I see you supplied this link. That is what old age will do for you! But, they got scared for a reason. Perhaps it is because there are no first time buyers?

30. Mick Russom

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    7 threads
    595 comments
    Belmont, CA

46   9:20pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

iwog says

I currently have 7 renters

You even talk like you own them. You have them working for you and redeeming credits in your general store too? Hows it feel to live off the backs of others.

31. Mick Russom

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    7 threads
    595 comments
    Belmont, CA

47   9:24pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

Could be that those places are actually really nice places to live versus some hell-hole in the middle of nowwhere....

SFBA sucks, especially for families. It used to innovate. now is SillyConScammy. Its workers arent that great, and the cost of living and doing business stinks. For the cost of living the schools are a horrorshow. The weather is kind of crap compared to say SD, and raising a family here stinks. Cant wait to cash out. Soon, less than 24 months. Enjoy your suburb of shanghai and all its conspicuous consumption and the like. Anti family dump. Burned out husk of its former self and ultra corporate.

32. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

48   10:18pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Mick Russom says

Cant wait to cash out.

Where you headed, if I might ask? Even just a general...reason I ask, there's a lot of handsome country out this way for a fair deal.

33. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,260 threads
    7,953 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

49   10:36pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

Well, my last home closes tomorrow. I don't plan to pursue anymore after that. If Phoenix does another crazy bubble, I'll sell a few in a couple years. If it flatlines, I'll just keep renting them. I suppose if it absolutely crashed again, I'd have to re-evaluate, and consider buying more. I feel great about what I've accomplished over the past 2 years, but, this ain't buying stocks or bonds. I'll be out there early tomorrow hauling off trash, cleaning up, steaming carpets, etc. It feels good thinking this may be my last rehab!

The other hedge funds are holding on for one reason, another housing bubble. And that could happen, but will the people bite? That is the question. Bernanke wants this, thanks to Mike Whitney:

[“Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said the Fed will take action to speed growth and a rebound in a housing market facing obstacles ranging from too-tight lending rules to racial discrimination….Bernanke said while tighter credit standards after a collapse in the subprime mortgage market were appropriate, “it seems likely at this point that the pendulum has swung too far the other way, and that overly tight lending standards may now be preventing creditworthy borrowers from buying homes, thereby slowing the revival in housing and impeding the economic recovery.”…

Bernanke said housing-finance authorities have taken steps to “remove barriers to the flow of mortgage credit” and referred to efforts by the Federal Housing Finance Agency and by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac to clarify rules surrounding mortgages that go into default.]

The questions is, whether Bernanke will get the bubble to escape gravity.

34. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

50   4:37am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

If Phoenix does another crazy bubble

Isn't it doing it right now?

35. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

51   4:45am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

I'll be out there early tomorrow hauling off trash, cleaning up, steaming carpets

If the market crashes and this time people can easily get loans you'll be cleaning up for the man.

36. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

52   12:22pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

If the market crashes and this time people can easily get loans you'll be cleaning up for the man.

which makes utterly no sense... If people can easily get loans, prices will go up.

My definition of sanity would be that prices go down, rates go up, and financing gets easier. The shouldn't result in prices going up or rents going up. Quite the contrary. And as I'm sure you know all markets transition from insanity to sanity then back again. Right? Or do you believe we're in the sane part of the cycle.

37. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    925 threads
    11,783 comments

53   12:59pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

ELC says

Quite the contrary. And as I'm sure you know all markets transition from insanity to sanity then back again. Right? Or do you believe we're in the sane part of the cycle.

If your asking about sanity... asking Roberto is asking the wrong guy....

38. David Losh

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    1,546 comments
    Seattle, WA
    David Losh's website

54   1:05pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

From what I read this week, Blackstone is one of the main buyers of European commercial foreclosures, they buy them, and resell them for a profit.

Banks are now selling to smaller investors who will pay more so they can get rental income from the properties.

It's all specualtion, and these headge funds are collecting profits they can reinvest.

At some point Real Estate will be played out, and hedge funds will move on to something else.

39. ELC

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    3 threads
    738 comments
    Fort Lauderdale, FL

55   4:29pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

bgamall4 says

They may be in over their heads with real estate.

Slumlording is best suited to white trash. They're the only ones I've known to be successful at it.

40. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,260 threads
    7,953 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

56   6:38pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

I don't believe rates are going up any time soon.

Interesting statement. This is one thing we know, the Fed wants rates to go up. Bubbles are profitable on the way up the interest rate ladder. Once interest rates start going up, a bubble will offer teaser rates and the whole mess will start over unless people focus on what happened the last time.

In the UK they blew 4 housing bubbles in 40 years. That is one every 10 years. Wall Street is learning almost all this from the UK Square Mile, the seat of financial evil.

« First     « Previous comments    

Premium member bgamall4 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 208 milliseconds to create.