Bill to require gun owners to buy insurance

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Wed, 6 Feb 2013, 6:41pm   1,362 views   34 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_22532760/california-measure-would-force-gun-owners-buy-insurance

Democratic lawmakers proposed legislation Tuesday that would require California gun owners to buy liability insurance to cover damages or injuries caused by their weapons. Similar bills have been introduced in other states after the Newtown, Conn., school massacre. They include Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New York. "I was moved, like many others, being the father of two young children, by the Sandy Hook incident and looking for constructive ways to manage gun violence here in California as well as the rest of the country," said Assemblyman Philip Ting of San Francisco, who introduced AB231 along with Assemblyman Jimmy Gomez...

Viewing Comments 1-34 of 34     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Meccos

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    8 threads
    639 comments

1   9:33pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

How about these idiots first work on getting people to get auto insurance here in california...

2. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    523 threads
    3,122 comments

2   9:37pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

What a tool.

3. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

3   10:38pm Wed 6 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)  

Long overdue.

And people should pay massive fines if their gun harms someone.

4. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    942 threads
    11,876 comments

4   6:03am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

Now THAT'S the ONLY smart thing I've heard come out of all of this.
    You need to take out insurance to wash your ballsack these days, but the single most deadly object known to man, no insurance is required to own.

5. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    15 threads
    416 comments

5   7:09am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Just like the auto insurance measures, good luck trying.

6. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

6   7:23am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

IDDQD says

StillLooking says

And people should pay massive fines if their gun harms someone.

People should and do pay massive fines when people harm someone. This is already covered by existing laws, btw. Are you suggesting that owner of a gun, car or kitchen knife should be responsible by the harm done with said gun/car/knife no matter who used said object for malicious purposes?

Gun owners have obviously proven themselves to be especially careless.

7. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    53 threads
    2,017 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

7   7:27am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

This is just a blatant attempt to remove responsible gun owners from the state. Irresponsible owners, gang members, and criminals will not pay the slightest heed to such a law mandate. Only the law abiding citizens will be forced to either pay some unset, unknowable premium or get rid of their guns. I won't pay as a matter of principle. I will deregister my guns and pay no attention to any gun laws in California if this measure passes. F--- this commie state and its pansy commie overlords. Come and get my guns f---ers!

8. CrazyMan

Follow
    Befriend
    533 comments
    Boulder Creek, CA

8   7:41am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Next up, mandatory insurance just in case you say something offensive!

This will never pass, it's blatantly unconstitutional.

9. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    15 threads
    416 comments

9   7:43am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

CrazyMan says

I'm covered for up to 10,000 feelings hurt.

10. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,110 comments

10   7:46am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

CrazyMan says

Didn't they say that about Obamacare???

11. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    942 threads
    11,876 comments

11   7:54am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

CrazyMan says

Yeah but read the fine print, it wont cover jihad as a result of illustrating Mohamed.

12. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    53 threads
    2,017 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

12   8:00am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Also there is no legal precedent that I am aware of for someone to be liable for their gun being misused by another person who is not a family member. If someone burglarizes my house, takes a gun, and kills someone with it, how is that my f---Ing fault?
    Pointy headed pencil pushers. May they all get lead poisoning.

13. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

13   8:15am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (4)  

Quigley says

Also there is no legal precedent that I am aware of for someone to be liable for their gun being misused by another person who is not a family member. If someone burglarizes my house, takes a gun, and kills someone with it, how is that my f---Ing fault?

Pointy headed pencil pushers. May they all get lead poisoning.

To hell with your stinking guns. Why should I have to worry about being shot because you have some silly gun fetish?

14. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,110 comments

14   8:25am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

StillLooking says

To hell with your stinking guns. Why should I have to worry about being shot because you have some silly gun fetish?

Well, just continue to stay in your mom's basement and you should be fine!

15. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

15   11:04am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Call it Crazy says

StillLooking says

I have to stay in the basement because you need a gun?

What kind of crap is that?

16. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,110 comments

16   11:29am Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

StillLooking says

Call it Crazy says

StillLooking says

Just trying to alleviate your fears and keep you safe. We wouldn't want to to scared of all the nutty gun owners....

You should also consider putting lead plates over the basement windows in case a stray bullet might come through and harm you. After all, you're not that far from all the gang/drug killings in Chicago...

17. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

17   4:28pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Call it Crazy says

StillLooking says

Call it Crazy says

StillLooking says

Just trying to alleviate your fears and keep you safe. We wouldn't want to to scared of all the nutty gun owners....

You should also consider putting lead plates over the basement windows in case a stray bullet might come through and harm you. After all, you're not that far from all the gang/drug killings in Chicago...

If you are not scared of guns, you must be a stinking idiot.

18. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,110 comments

18   5:52pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

StillLooking says

If you are not scared of guns, you must be a stinking idiot.

No, I'm not scared of guns. They are just another tool in the tool box. Nothing to be afraid about..

Your issue is that YOU'RE scared of guns and you want other people to not own them because of YOUR fears. It's fine if you don't like them, but why push your fears/ignorance/lack of education off on other people?

Is that really fair??

19. jvolstad

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    1,117 threads
    1,522 comments
    San Antonio, TX
    jvolstad's website

19   6:34pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I have a million dollar umbrella policy, in addition to my renters insurance and auto policy.

And yes, I own a gun.

20. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,110 comments

20   6:38pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Maybe he is projecting? Look at what another anti-gun nut is doing right now in LA.

That ex-cop in LA is definitely projecting.... with lead that is.....

21. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,110 comments

21   8:33pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Look at what another anti-gun nut is doing right now in LA.

I read that cops manifesto.... he went off ranting about AR-15's but he has a whole arsenal of different weapons and is an ex-cop. According to his manifesto, he also says he has a bunch of Class III weapons.

But the only weapon he's ranting on banning is the AR-15.... strange...... looks like another one with mental illness going rogue...

22. StillLooking

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    382 comments
    Skokie, IL

22   9:52pm Thu 7 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

I dont want other people to own guns because over one hundred thousand people get shot each year and I don't want to be one of them.

And I repeat one is stupid and ignorant if they have no fear of guns.

And people are really stupid to add this added risk to their lives for no good purpose.

23. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    53 threads
    2,017 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

23   5:39am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Yesterday the cops in Torrance shot two women and the truck they were driving while DELIVERING PAPERS! I saw the pic, the truck looks like Swiss cheese. I guess it looked like the one that ex cop madman is driving. So in a shoot-first-ask-questions-later MO, they opened fire.
    And another man was shot earlier in the day by jumpy cops under similar circumstances.
    Maybe it's the police who shouldn't have guns, if this is all the gun safety and restraint they possess.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2013/02/ex-cop-manhunt-newspaper-delivery-women-shot.html

24. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

24   11:24am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Call it Crazy says

But the only weapon he's ranting on banning is the AR-15.... strange...... looks like another one with mental illness going rogue...

He also rants about high capacity magazines, and the ease he had in purchasing silencers legally.

25. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

25   11:26am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Quigley says

Yesterday the cops in Torrance shot two women and the truck they were driving while DELIVERING PAPERS! I saw the pic, the truck looks like Swiss cheese. I guess it looked like the one that ex cop madman is driving. So in a shoot-first-ask-questions-later MO, they opened fire.

And another man was shot earlier in the day by jumpy cops under similar circumstances.

Maybe it's the police who shouldn't have guns, if this is all the gun safety and restraint they possess.

Something tells me they are not planning on bringing him in alive.

26. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

26   11:37am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

leo707 says

He also rants about high capacity magazines, and the ease he had in purchasing silencers legally.

Legally? Possession of silencers is prohibited in CA, so no, he didn't purchase them legally.

He purchased them out of state.

He may not legally posses them in CA, but all his weapons purchases were through legal dealers. No black market.

Or so his manifesto claims.

27. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

27   12:02pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

He broke the law by importing and possessing it in-state. This makes the word "legal" inapplicable right there.

Sure, but the point is that there was no black market required for him to get them. He may have illegally imported them to CA, but he legaly acquired them.

It is also illegal for him to use his guns to ambush and murder other people.

28. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,055 threads
    13,364 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

28   1:05pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I'm waiting for the Democrats to introduce a bill that requires gun buyers to get a trans-vaginal ultrasound and talk to their doctors face-to-face about gun violence and injuries.

A person getting a first trimester abortion has a greater reasonable expectation of privacy than a person buying a gun.

29. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    843 threads
    7,136 comments
    Baltimore, MD

29   6:01am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

30. mikem

Follow
    Befriend
    14 comments

30   6:40am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

I have said it once and I will say it again. it is an obligation as an american to keep firearms. there will always be those who wring their hands over it. fortunately, we have the constitution to protect us from that sort.

he Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms." -Samuel Adams, debates & Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87.

"They that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania..

31. SoftShell

Follow
    Befriend
    9 threads
    3,505 comments
    Brilliant, OH

31   7:32am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Have you ever considered that the bullet may have the 'right of way'??

StillLooking says

I dont want other people to own guns because over one hundred thousand people get shot each year and I don't want to be one of them.

And I repeat one is stupid and ignorant if they have no fear of guns.

And people are really stupid to add this added risk to their lives for no good purpose.

32. drblincoe

Follow
    Befriend
    1 comments

32   8:19pm Wed 20 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Maybe it would be better if we made people who want to run for political office to be required to have insurance. That way when they don't fulfill their promises like balancing budgets, reforming health care, immigration reform, correcting wasteful spending, I could go on and on but you get the point. Their insurance could pick up the cost and we don't have to. Over 67 million lawful gun owners harmed no one today. Why penalize the majority for the actions of a few. Lets start enforcing the laws that are on the books already before we start making more.

33. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,534 comments
    San Jose, CA

33   9:09pm Wed 20 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Call it Crazy says

No, I'm not scared of guns. They are just another tool in the tool box. Nothing to be afraid about..

Yep! An AR-15 is no different than a nailgun. Or a screwdriver.

34. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

34   9:24pm Wed 20 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

New Renter says

Call it Crazy says

Yep! An AR-15 is no different than a nailgun. Or a screwdriver.

Well...you might need some slight modifications.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 289 milliseconds to create.