Should PED cheaters be jailed?

By dublin hillz   Follow   Fri, 8 Feb 2013, 9:45am   436 views   9 comments
In Dublin CA 94568   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

There have been multiple scandals in sports regarding performance enhancing drugs through the years. Hardly a month goes by without some new "shocking allegations." The fact that these issues continue despite existing sanctions prove that current deterrent methods are not effective. Should jail time perhaps be considered? I think it can be argued that if a player uses performance enhancing drugs and later on proceeds to cash in a big contract and endorsement deals that a vast majority of their future "earnings" came at expense of other players. So in essence they stole the money due to the fact that other players who they outperformed via stats got paid less that they would have gotten paid if the cheaters were not using PEDs and inflated their stats artificially against them. So in a way the PED user is no different than a thug in a street who assaults victims, a bank robber or a bernie madoff ponzi scheme operator in terms of obtaining ill begotten gains. Due to this, I think the government has a right to imprison these athletes for grand theft and more. Serving several years in prison will do a lot more to deter this crime than some measly suspension that most leagues currently utilize.

Viewing Comments 1-9 of 9     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    837 threads
    10,888 comments

1   10:13am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (6)   Dislike  

I would just like to see anyone beat Lance Armstrong's record, doped up or otherwise. Since a lot of people do it in biking, you would think Lance would just be another common rule breaker in a field dominated by Cheaters.
    But nobody has even come close to what he's accomplished.
    I also think Micheal Phelps should have gotten an extra medal for winning his medals Stoned.

2. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,746 comments
    Dublin, CA

2   10:16am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

I also think Micheal Phelps should have gotten an extra medal for winning his
    medals Stoned.

Haha, well I swam a couple of times after a few shots of jack daniels and a couple of beers and outlasted the sober people in the pool easily lol.

3. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,746 comments
    Dublin, CA

3   11:16am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Why should we care whether gladiators lose their health or steal money from each other? Their purpose is to amuse the proles and serve as guinea pigs for pharma and medical industries. I don't really see a point in any restrictions on use of PED - they do it anyway, but because of secrecy valuable information on effects and side effects is lost.

Cheating with PEDs in sports is really no different than cheating in academics. For example, students that get away with plagiarism or having other write essays for them in a sense may steal jobs later on from those who did not cheat and would have hypothetically outperformed the cheaters if they were "clean." According to your approach should the universities turn blind eye to this as well?

4. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,746 comments
    Dublin, CA

4   11:38am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

dublin hillz says

According to your approach should the universities turn blind eye to this as well?

My approach is only for gladiators who willingly risk their health and life doing meaningless things in foolish hope of potential windfall. Their worth to the society is exactly like I said above - to amuse proles and be guinea pigs. How this is similar to academics?

Because they both involve theft - a wealth transfer from the actors who play by the rules to those who are "dirty."

5. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

5   11:45am Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dublin hillz says

Cheating with PEDs in sports is really no different than cheating in academics. For example, students that get away with plagiarism or having other write essays for them in a sense may steal jobs later on from those who did not cheat and would have hypothetically outperformed the cheaters if they were "clean." According to your approach should the universities turn blind eye to this as well?

The PEDs used by Armstrong were very different from using plagiarism or having others do your academic work.

The PEDs Armstrong used were not designed to make things easier on him, they helped him work harder. His PED enhanced workouts allowed him to work longer, harder and more frequently, building more muscle and endurance than he could have done on his own.

Very different from the cheating that goes on in academics.

6. MMR

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    367 comments
    New York, NY

6   12:09pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Lot of people in med school are on adderall. No I don't have an article to prove my point at the moment, I just know it from personal experience watching classmates. An anecdote, if you will

Lot of professional musicians (think classical) use beta blockers.

Lot of military people use amphetamines (ie fighter pilots)

On the latter two, My source is the documentary bigger, stronger,faster.....highly recommend it. Won a Sundance award in 2008. Does a solid job of debunking the double standard that is PED use in sports.

leo707 says

dublin hillz says

The PEDs used by Armstrong were very different from using plagiarism or having others do your academic work.

The PEDs Armstrong used were not designed to make things easier on him, they helped him work harder. His PED enhanced workouts allowed him to work longer, harder and more frequently, building more muscle and endurance than he could have done on his own.

Very different from the cheating that goes on in academics.

7. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    1,746 comments
    Dublin, CA

7   1:22pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I don't doubt that illicit drug use is taking place in the universities in an effort to achieve competative edge especially amongst type A personalities and those obessed with getting into med schools, acing med /law schools, etc. However, I would still say that there's some purity involved in academics, for the most part, the harder you work the better grades one tends to earn.

8. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    6,267 comments
    San Jose, CA

8   3:04pm Fri 8 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dublin hillz is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 99 milliseconds to create.