Is the NDAA lawsuit headed to the Supreme Court?

By lostand confused   Follow   Sat, 9 Feb 2013, 10:01pm   1,020 views   14 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-02-08/guest-post-ndaa-lawsuit-headed-supreme-court

Basically, Section 1021 of the NDAA allows for the indefinite detention of American citizens without charges or a trial.  Journalist Chris Hedges and several others sued Obama on the grounds of it being unconstitutional.  Judge Katherine Forrest agreed and issued an injunction on it.  This was immediately appealed by the Obama Administration to a higher court, which promptly issued a temporary stay on the injunction. Yesterday, oral arguments began in front of this aforementioned higher court; the 2nd Circuit.  As Chris Hedges states in the interview below, if they win the case then it will likely be brought in front...

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    49 threads
    1,768 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

1   8:29am Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

It's things like this that get absolutely No air time from any media outlet, right or left. It's here that we win or lose as a nation. This is a struggle for the soul of our country and it is occurring in total silence.

2. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    460 threads
    2,924 comments

2   10:59am Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Well, all that about the repubs might be true, but it was Obama that signed it again . Now, as the guy in the original video from the Zerohedge article said, Obama is a constitutional scholar, he should know better?

I am disgusted with the dems on this-now I was already disgusted with the repubs on this issue, but now am disgusted with both. Like they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. The President of the United States has the power to whisk you away and hold you indefnitely without trial and nary a peep from any of the major "news" sources. This is scary territory for the US.

3. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    267 threads
    3,399 comments
    San Francisco, CA

3   11:11am Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

KarlRoveIsScum says

Yes Obama signed it. Obama had no choice at the time, except to veto the entire defense bill. This is what the REPUKES were counting on.

Yes subsequently Obama has defended this in court like any President who has been given powers before him.

Your outrage should start and end with the people who jammed this into the defense bill, I posted the videos for you to understand WHO DID IT!

Call the waaahhhhmbulance!! The republicans did it! Wah wah! If he had one inch of spine he would have vetoed the entire bill.

4. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    267 threads
    3,399 comments
    San Francisco, CA

4   11:19am Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

KarlRoveIsScum says

and the defense spending bill would have been dead in the water!

This is what "hope" and "change" is all about (and has been done before by other presidents). Now keep worshipping more of the same.

5. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    267 threads
    3,399 comments
    San Francisco, CA

5   11:33am Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I never said he inserted it into the bill, but he signed it into law. Yes, and fuck Graham and McCain (and most of the rest of the republican party) too.

6. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    371 threads
    19,625 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

6   11:35am Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

Republicans are really REALLY pissed that Obama has executed 10 times more Al Qaeda terrorists than Bush.

They must put a stop to it any way possible.

7. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    811 threads
    10,694 comments

7   12:46pm Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

If you have anything else to say after I destroyed your argument

An obligatory Shit Bow.

8. MMR

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    367 comments
    New York, NY

8   10:30pm Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

John Mccain is a RINO........not a real conservative.....get a clue chucklehead

9. MMR

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    367 comments
    New York, NY

9   10:31pm Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Also....last time I checked....it was bammy who signed the ndaa into law....nice distortion of facts 'religious atheist'

10. Robert Sproul

Follow
    Befriend
    64 threads
    824 comments

10   12:11pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

iwog says

Obama has created 10 times more Al Qaeda terrorists than Bush.

fixed it for you

11. Robert Sproul

Follow
    Befriend
    64 threads
    824 comments

11   12:28pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Lead plaintiff Chris Hedges is one of my few remaining heroes. Well worth reading any of his books ("Death of the Liberal Class" would be enlightening for many on this forum), his monday column at http://www.truthdig.com and mining his talks on Youtube. They are thrilling in their honest description of the Corporate Coup d'Etat

12. Robert Sproul

Follow
    Befriend
    64 threads
    824 comments

12   12:33pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

KarlRoveIsScum says

it's a fix. it was always going to happen, once bush got that ball rolling, nothing was going to stop it from happening.

Dude, I am sympathetic but you should step back and listen to yourself. You are full of excuses.

13. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    811 threads
    10,694 comments

13   2:16pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

"In History I'll be dead..."

The single most smartest thing Bush ever said.

14. Robert Sproul

Follow
    Befriend
    64 threads
    824 comments

14   3:16pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

KarlRoveIsScum says

you give too much credit to the office of President

The new Imperial Presidency?
    Bush, cemented by Obama, have arrogated to themselves the right to wage war in any country, eavesdrop on and kill American citizens, and contravene international treaties and constitutional law.
    As I mentioned above, watch Hedges, here with Moyers, for a start.

This is the Blue Pill, there are no good guys, one side is hideous the other slightly worse.

lostand confused is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 91 milliseconds to create.