States that are declining and growing

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Sun, 10 Feb 2013, 11:26am   581 views   14 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/09/the-states-people-are-fle_n_2653401.html

Long-term shifts in the U.S. economy coupled with the recent recession means Americans are more likely to pack up and move for employment-related reasons. Although the total number of residential moves is down, new data shows a clear pattern of the states that people are fleeing the fastest.

Viewing Comments 1-14 of 14     Last »     See most liked comments

1. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    14 threads
    367 comments

1   12:23pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Portland is a great city.

2. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (47)
    364 threads
    18,882 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

2   12:41pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)   Protected  

California isn't on that list. I wonder if Republicans are lying?

3. MMR

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    347 comments
    New York, NY

3   3:39pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Bubble has somewhat burst for financial workers. Manhattan is comprised of A) Children of well to do parents and B)Financial workers. The finance bubble has burst but haven't seen much benefit in terms of rent yet.

Interesting to note that 7/10 states are blue(higher tax) states though. In Jersey, more than 1/3 of pension worker checks go to Florida and has been that way forever. RE is more affordable than CA, but prop taxes wayyy higher for most, plus gas and tolls and other taxes make NJ as heavily taxed as CA. Cost of Living in NJ very comparable to most parts of CA. Approximately 42% of people underwater on their house in NJ haven't made payments in more than a year.

The 3/10 low taxed or 'red' states are among the most economically backward states in the entire US. Especially West Virginny (that's what the locals presumably call it). From 18 years of personal living experience, NM outside of ABQ and Santa Fe is an economically backward hellhole. Albuquerque Public Schools are one of the worst school systems in the country with regards to dropouts. So no skilled labor. NM is driven largely by government expenditures. Extremely limited private sector jobs.

I think California is still experiencing a net influx of people and that's why it's not on the list, but California isn't what it used to be. Despite that, I hope to move back in a few years since the benefits outweigh the negatives for me.

4. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    421 threads
    2,751 comments

4   3:55pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

MMR says

From 18 years of personal living experience, NM outside of ABQ and Santa Fe is
    an economically backward hellhole

While I haven't lived there, just driven through and stayed a few days for recreation, was surprised at the other areas. I drove from CA on the I40 and then down to Carlsbad caverns. Just desolate area -but beautiful in its own way and nice place to just put the pedal to the metal and really drive!

5. MMR

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    347 comments
    New York, NY

5   4:09pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

There are some great camping and outdoor opportunities, but if you're not looking for something specific, like a Carlsbad Caverns, other places in the southwest are more desirable in my opinion. I spent most of my time living off I-40 in Gallup, NM. It was never great but it seems to have gone downhill when I visited there 4 years ago.

The lack of education and lack of emphasis on education is highly deplorable. Even Albuquerque can't attract good teachers. Of course, a lot of the homes are not education-minded, so its a two way street. Teachers in Gallup aren't qualified to teach AP courses, which are at least available in any big city. Albuquerque public school teachers are probably on par with the lower end to middle of the pack in Oakland. It gets worse in the hinterlands, which comprise 99% of land and 60% of the population.

6. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,854 comments
    San Jose, CA

6   6:27pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

epitaph says

Especially if you're still living in the 90's

7. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    46 threads
    2,146 comments
    Premium

7   7:11pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

New Renter says

"Portland is a place where young people go to retire." I love Portlandia.

8. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,854 comments
    San Jose, CA

8   8:10pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The Professor says

New Renter says

"Portland is a place where young people go to retire." I love Portlandia.

It DOES make me want to move there myself. No state sales tax is nice too.

9. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

9   8:18pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

New Renter says

one of many other reasons why Santa Clara (aka Silicon valley) employers managed to move jobs there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Forest

"Intel's headquarters remain in Santa Clara, Calif., but in the 1990s the company began moving its most advanced technical operations to Oregon. Its Ronler Acres campus eventually became its most advanced anywhere, and Oregon is now Intel's largest operating hub. As of late 2012, Intel has close to 17,000 employees in Oregon -- more than anywhere else the company operates."

10. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    4,341 comments

10   9:35pm Sun 10 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

New Renter says

Better take a close look at state income tax first. Oregon is something like number 7 0r 8 in taxes per capita. Better to live and work on the WA side of the river (although Vancouver can be a pretty red neck place) with no income tax and shop in Oregon with no sales tax.

11. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,854 comments
    San Jose, CA

11   10:52am Thu 14 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bob2356 says

New Renter says

Better take a close look at state income tax first. Oregon is something like number 7 0r 8 in taxes per capita. Better to live and work on the WA side of the river (although Vancouver can be a pretty red neck place) with no income tax and shop in Oregon with no sales tax.

Live in Vancouver but shop in Oregon? Sounds like a hell of a long way to go for toilet paper!

Unless you live right on the Oregon/Washington border you'd spend more on gas than you'd save on tax.

Edit - Ah, I assume you mean the OTHER Vancouver.

12. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

12   10:56am Thu 14 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

New Renter says

epitaph says

The 1890's.

Fun show but does not increase my desire to move to Portland.

13. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    4,341 comments

13   6:31am Fri 15 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

New Renter says

Edit - Ah, I assume you mean the OTHER Vancouver.

Yes the other vancouver. Doesn't make sense to go across the river for eggs and milk, but with a full court press on home depot, costco and wallmart (all less than 5 minutes from the 205 bridge) you can save some pretty good dosh. Not to mention all the other big stores in the airport blvd/sandy blvd area.

14. Philistine

Follow
    Befriend
    682 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

14   7:04am Fri 15 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bob2356 says

home depot, costco and wallmart (all less than 5 minutes from the 205 bridge) you can save some pretty good dosh. Not to mention all the other big stores in the airport blvd/sandy blvd area

Is this what my Used House Salesman® means by "just steps away from fabulous shopping"?

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 155 milliseconds to create.