Condo wars

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Sun, 10 Feb 2013, 3:07pm   508 views   13 comments
In South San Francisco CA 94080   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/fairfax-homeowners-group-humbled-by-court-battle-with-residents/2013/02/09/d46f9bec-6652-11e2-93e1-475791032daf_story.html?hpid=z1

Maria Farran and her husband, Sam Farran pose for a portrait in the square of their living complex on Feb. 3, 2013 in Alexandria, Va. The couple were locked in legal issues with their home owners association over a political sign and also over their deck and roof.

Viewing Comments 1-13 of 13     Last »     See most liked comments

1. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    462 threads
    7,711 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

1   8:19am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

All that over 4" of signs. The association was stupid not to choose their battles.

When I first moved to my neighborhood, there was a push to make all sorts of restrictions. All of those people were voted out of office. But it left a bad taste in our mouths - twelve years later people are still talking about it.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    778 threads
    10,482 comments

2   8:30am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

They deserve every bit of it. They thought they were moving away from those annoying cretins, and I'm sure there's just LOADS of juicy rules and tidbits in their HOA agreement, that they loved and were sure it would keep those stupid red necks, wet backs and colored folk from moving next door and putting cars in the drive way on jack stands or have a truck with a magnetic sign. Or god forbid some asshole paints their house purple.

Now they are livid that many of those rules also apply to them, and impinges on their rights as homeowners. Oh the humanity! Jack asses, fuck 'em and good for the Condo board.

3. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    444 threads
    2,873 comments

3   8:39am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I can't stand HOAs. I mean , even if you own your property free and clear, you still have to deal with state/county/city code and regulations etc-on top of that the HOAs rule what height your flowers are going to be?

4. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    462 threads
    7,711 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

4   10:19am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

Now they are livid that many of those rules also apply to them, and impinges on their rights as homeowners. Oh the humanity! Jack asses, fuck 'em and good for the Condo board.

HOA's are out of control. 4" too high on a sign led to a long disagreement, court, and increased HOA fees to pay for the costs. Now they are selling the common area to pay for the fees.

I don't think the people "deserve" that. Nobody won.

5. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    778 threads
    10,482 comments

5   10:27am Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Selling the common area, that's like saying they are selling the beach front property at your local beach, and it will all be made Private property. It was never theirs to begin with.
    Yes people do deserve what they get living in a HOA community. They moved there so that they could segregate them selves from certain elements in society,(Whether they will admit it or not). I love it when Irony kicks in an people like that become a certain element them selves.

6. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    194 threads
    4,306 comments
    Premium

6   12:10pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

It's the buttinskies that cause the problems.

Frankly, if we want to reduce the load in the court system, we need to regulate the HOAs. Paint, pave, mow, chorinate the pool, and STFU about everything else. The most buttinsky PITA HOAs generally have chipping paint, potholes everywhere, rusted gates, faded parking space markers, but of course, if you put an A/C unit in a street-facing window, then suddenly they're Johnny on the spot with the reactions.

Most truly annoying disturbances, like loud music at 3AM, is already handled by the authorities.

Seriously. If you want to live in a Potemkin village, buy one for yourself.

7. EBGuy

Follow
    Befriend
    5 threads
    2,447 comments

7   2:14pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Here's my favorite quote from the article:
    The Farrans said the HOA had a reputation for hard-line stances. In one case, board member Don Hughes compared some residents’ refusal to install window-pane dividers to the “cat and mouse game Saddam Hussein played with the USA,” e-mails show. Ultimately, Hussein “paid the price,” he said, concluding that the residents should comply.
    One of the big issues with CIDs is that rule making, enforcement and interpretation all lie within one body, the HOA board. This allows for abuse, even within the system, or, in this case, when board goes about
    making up their own rules for the "benefit" of the community.

8. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    15 threads
    395 comments

8   3:21pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

One more reason to avoid HOAs like the plague.

9. seaside

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    697 comments
    Alexandria, VA

9   5:04pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

We got plenty of bully HOAs and no shortage of corky people so full of ego, here in Northern Virginia. So, nothing new at all.

10. everything

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    3 threads
    720 comments

10   7:57pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It's so true people will sell the condo and leave because of the HOA, that's just crazy.

11. finehoe

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    481 comments
    Washington, DC

11   8:27pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CaptainShuddup says

Did you even read it? The condo board lost, bankrupting the association in the process, and now the whole community will suffer because of the over-reach of the control freaks on the board.

12. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    778 threads
    10,482 comments

12   8:33pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Good...

13. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    462 threads
    7,711 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

13   8:44pm Tue 12 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

CaptainShuddup says

Selling the common area, that's like saying they are selling the beach front property at your local beach, and it will all be made Private property. It was never theirs to begin with.

Does any land really belong to anyone else? Do dog owners really "own" their dogs? Is it possible to own a living thing - and if so, isn't land filled with living things? Wait, let me take another hit....

The "common area" is the center of the complex, and it has a value. It can be built upon, or turned into retail space... They can mine for gold, install a golf course, build low-income housing... the possibilities are endless.

CaptainShuddup says

Yes people do deserve what they get living in a HOA community.

In many areas, planned developments are the only option available. The issue is that they shouldn't be able to arbitrarily change their rules or levy fines. For example, the window thing (as described above), where the owners who didn't want to install the windows were compared to Saddam Hussein.

I realize that you don't like HOA's, TPB. But this discussion isn't about the fact that you don't like them - it's about the way that they attempted to screw a homeowner, lost and now the entire community has to pay.

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 189 milliseconds to create.