Walmart selling stripped down versions of stuff - with the same model # as full

By zzyzzx   Follow   Mon, 11 Feb 2013, 7:47am   569 views   10 comments
In Baltimore MD 21230   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

WalMart is allegedly selling stuff (reports are on electronics) with the same manufacturer's name and model numbers as sold elsewhere, except that the WalMart version is stripped down!!!

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/NussbaumOnDesign/archives/2007/02/can_this_be_true_of_wal-mart.html

I wanted an inexpensive digital camera for my daughter. After finding one with the basic features I wanted, I went to sears, target and walmart to check prices. All 3 stores sold the a camera with the exact same model number. Sears -$119 target -$109 walmart - $99 . I bought it at the manufactures online store but when the camera was delivered it DID NOT have all the features that the Sears and Target salesperson had shown me (couldn’t get help at the Walmart store). I contacted the factory store and asked them if perhaps the one I got was an older version of this camera since the model number on the unit was the correct. The customer service agent apologized and said I must have gotten one of the “WALMART” cameras. These units were manufactured just for them with the same model number but with reduced features. So while the price was a little lower at walmart, the value was worse since it was a stripped down version.

Viewing Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »     See most liked comments

1. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    872 threads
    7,416 comments
    Baltimore, MD

1   7:51am Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Personally I have never heard of s stripped down version having the exact same model number, so I want more proof, but this is certainly something to watch out for.

2. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    872 threads
    7,416 comments
    Baltimore, MD

2   7:56am Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Good one:

recently purchased a box of Quaker Oats Granola bar at my local Wal-Mart while waiting for a friend to get off work. I realized after opening a bar, that they are 1/2 of an inch shorter then the Quaker Oats bars purchased at other stores. I've hated Wal-Mart & their sh*tty merchandise for a long time. This just gives me more reason to shop elsewhere.

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    872 threads
    7,416 comments
    Baltimore, MD

3   8:37am Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Another good one:

I swear the doritos at wal mart have less nacho flavoring....I've had this thought many times...so much so that I will pay twice the price at a gas station for better tasting ones.

4. waiting_for_the_fall

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    5 threads
    254 comments
    Half Moon Bay, CA

4   9:22am Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Power tools are also stripped down. You can even tell by weighing the ones at Walmart compared to Sears.
    The power tools that are less sturdy break and you are forced to buy again, and end up paying more in the end.
    You get what you pay for.

5. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,052 threads
    12,944 comments

5   9:55am Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I have never shopped at Wal-Mart.
    And never will, there's more to consider than the few cents you save.
    And now that list just got bigger.

6. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    56 threads
    2,182 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

6   10:17am Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I noticed this going on years ago, that somehow the quality of merchandise at Walmart was far below that of other stores. I thought at the time that this applied only to electronics and other moving part items. Now I know the list extends to most of the products. This is a direct result of Walmart pushing its suppliers to deliver their products at ever decreasing prices. Something must give and the suppliers can't afford to alienate Walmart from carrying their goods. They also can't afford to supply said goods at the prices Walmart wants to pay. So they make special "Walmart" products that cost less to make and in this way are able to deliver Walmart the price they desire to pay. Walmart then can offer a facsimile of the product it's competition is offering at a lower price than they can afford to charge. Most retail sales, excluding clothing, is a very low margin proposition. If you're paying less, it's because you're getting less.
    Period.

7. The Professor

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    55 threads
    2,487 comments
    Premium

7   12:12pm Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

Another reason I will continue to boycott Walmart.

A few years ago I needed a new pair of vicegrips. I went to the local bigbox HW store (Not hom depo, the other one) I noticed that some of the plier packages had big "MADE IN USA" labels. The ones that did not have the labels were made in China. I bought a variety of the US made vice grips. All vicegrips are now made in China.

Leatherman and Channellock tools are made in American and worth the extra price http://usamadeproducts.biz/hand-tools.html

8. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,052 threads
    12,944 comments

8   12:34pm Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I wonder if this also includes Sams Club?

9. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    282 threads
    5,411 comments

9   1:11pm Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Really interesting stuff - thanks for this Xyzzy.

Check out Aldi - a European outfit that is sneaking up on the big boys here in the states.

Walmart couldn't beat 'em in Germany.

10. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    872 threads
    7,416 comments
    Baltimore, MD

10   1:49pm Mon 11 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I do most of my grocery shopping at Aldi. It's also the closest grocery store to my house.

zzyzzx is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 72 milliseconds to create.