« previous   misc   next »

Math abilities may be set in the first grade

By tvgnus   Follow   Tue, 26 Feb 2013, 11:32pm PST   190 views   3 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=22931

Children who failed to acquire a basic math skill in first grade scored far behind their peers by the seventh grade on a test of the mathematical abilities needed to function in adult life, according to a report released Wednesday by the National Institutes of Health.

Comments 1-3 of 3     Last »

CaptainShuddup   Tue, 26 Feb 2013, 11:54pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

I always sucked at Math in school. It wasn't until I became an adult and had to use Math in an applied way, that I found I actually do have a knack for it.

I just didn't give a fuck how many Jelly beans Jack had after returned from behind the tree with Jill.

BoomAndBustCycle   Wed, 27 Feb 2013, 1:15am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

Makes sense... I excelled in every subject in school, but math bored me. I started to daydream when my teacher was teaching fractions... I fell behind a bit. Everything builds on everything else. Especially once you hit Algebra and Calculus... It's easy to be missing one tiny bit of information and get totally lost. It was frustrating and I gave up on Math and stopped after Pre-Calculus. Later in life, i find finances much more interesting. I remember talking about the stock market in a class ever so briefly...

Deriving formulas and simplifying equations with a pages of chicken scratch never interested me. I remember losing interest in Algebra II or Physics... Teachers just scribbled on the bored endlessly talking to themselves. They seemed to teach specifically to the few students in the class that could keep up. In retrospect, I think a tutor would have really helped me stay on top of things, since i was a chronic daydreamer. One on one attention would have been much more effective.

I know with my children, the first sign of difficulty in a subject, they'll be getting a tutor.

postbubblesucess   Wed, 27 Feb 2013, 9:41pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

I count money like a champ.

tvgnus is moderator of this thread.

Email (Required, will not be visible)

Username (Just pick a name if you're new)

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net