Math abilities may be set in the first grade

By tvgnus   Follow   Wed, 27 Feb 2013, 7:32am   148 views   3 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.centralvalleybusinesstimes.com/stories/001/?ID=22931

Children who failed to acquire a basic math skill in first grade scored far behind their peers by the seventh grade on a test of the mathematical abilities needed to function in adult life, according to a report released Wednesday by the National Institutes of Health.

Viewing Comments 1-3 of 3     Last »     See most liked comments

1. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    1,000 threads
    12,426 comments

1   7:54am Wed 27 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I always sucked at Math in school. It wasn't until I became an adult and had to use Math in an applied way, that I found I actually do have a knack for it.

I just didn't give a fuck how many Jelly beans Jack had after returned from behind the tree with Jill.

2. BoomAndBustCycle

Follow
    Befriend
    43 threads
    500 comments

2   9:15am Wed 27 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Makes sense... I excelled in every subject in school, but math bored me. I started to daydream when my teacher was teaching fractions... I fell behind a bit. Everything builds on everything else. Especially once you hit Algebra and Calculus... It's easy to be missing one tiny bit of information and get totally lost. It was frustrating and I gave up on Math and stopped after Pre-Calculus. Later in life, i find finances much more interesting. I remember talking about the stock market in a class ever so briefly...

Deriving formulas and simplifying equations with a pages of chicken scratch never interested me. I remember losing interest in Algebra II or Physics... Teachers just scribbled on the bored endlessly talking to themselves. They seemed to teach specifically to the few students in the class that could keep up. In retrospect, I think a tutor would have really helped me stay on top of things, since i was a chronic daydreamer. One on one attention would have been much more effective.

I know with my children, the first sign of difficulty in a subject, they'll be getting a tutor.

3. postbubblesucess

Follow
    Befriend
    48 comments

3   5:41am Thu 28 Feb 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I count money like a champ.

tvgnus is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 79 milliseconds to create.