Why Google Earth Can't Show You Israel

By Patrick   Follow   Wed, 20 Mar 2013, 10:13pm   1,313 views   55 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/google-israel-us

The images in Google Earth are sourced from a wide range of both commercial and public sources. We source our satellite imagery from US-based companies who are subject to US law, including the Kyl-Bingaman Amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act of 1997, which limits the resolution of imagery of Israel that may be commercially distributed." And it's not just Israel. The regulation also applies to the occupied territories. It's why Human Rights Watch can't provide detailed imagery of the Gaza Strip in its reports.

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 16-55 of 55     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,661 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

16   1:21pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I actually would like to see Israel secure within stable borders, but it seems like a violation of both US sovereignty and the 1st amendment to tell US citizens that they cannot publish high-res satellite photos of a foreign country.

2. What

Follow
    Befriend
    2 comments

17   1:35pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

"Unfair" is an understatement and please be careful what you say before you are labeled an "anti-Semite" for questioning Israel's actions.

3. MershedPerturders

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    21 threads
    493 comments

18   2:52pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

whats UNFAIR is that the world tolerates Arab attacks on Israel and sees any kind of retaliation as a human rights offence

https://twitter.com/QassamCount

4. Bap33

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    17 threads
    3,488 comments

19   7:56pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

I actually would like to see Israel secure within stable borders, but it seems like a violation of both US sovereignty and the 1st amendment to tell US citizens that they cannot publish high-res satellite photos of a foreign country.

maybe they would have to personally own and be responsible for said satellite images to use them as free as speech?
    Also, is there some limit to publishing images without permission? Like, if I worked at Ford and I took a picture of the newest tranny mount and put that on my FB page, wouldn't that be an issue, even in America? Or if I seen my neighbor, Mrs. Palin, sun bathing through the crack in the fence that is between our properties, am I allowed to publish any pics I take? Serious questions. Thanks.

5. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

20   8:03pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Patrick says

the difference between who you call a friend and ally vs your enemy.

somewhere you will find common sense !

6. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,952 comments
    Davis, CA

21   9:02pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (2)  

Patrick says

I actually would like to see Israel secure within stable borders

Easy solution, relocate them to some unused piece of land that is not hotly contested. Like Utah for example.

7. Meccos

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    8 threads
    639 comments

22   9:07pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

MershedPerturders says

whats UNFAIR is that the world tolerates Arab attacks on Israel and sees any kind of retaliation as a human rights offence

https://twitter.com/QassamCount

Israel attacks Arabs and Arabs attack Israel. Both are at fault. The belief that either of the two are victimes or that one side is more of a victim is false.
    The question of this thread however is the constitutionality of a law that prohibits our freedoms here... Regardless of whether you support Israel or the arab nations, a law that limits our freedoms should not be allowed to exist.

8. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,661 threads
    6,342 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

23   9:11pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Meccos says

a law that limits our freedoms should not be allowed to exist.

Yes, that's my main point.

Why should the constitutional freedoms of Americans be limited just to benefit a foreign country?

9. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

24   9:19pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Meccos says

The belief that either of the two are victimes or that one side is more of a victim is false.

so how do you explain the three major wars / invasions into Israel by multiple Arab nations.

10. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

25   9:22pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Meccos says

The question of this thread however is the constitutionality of a law that prohibits our freedoms here...

which freedom is that ?

11. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

26   9:33pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

Why should the constitutional freedoms of Americans be limited just to benefit a foreign country?

such as NATO nations where we have a mutual defense treaty ?

or Canada which we also share military defense systems ?

our defense systems extend across borders... we share the common security interests.

do you have the freedom to walk into any US military bases, FBI, CIA, or any Govt offices. if not ?

12. Meccos

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    8 threads
    639 comments

27   9:41pm Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Meccos says

The belief that either of the two are victimes or that one side is more of a victim is false.

so how do you explain the three major wars / invasions into Israel by multiple Arab nations.

SO how is your question even relevant to my point. Again to clairfy, my point was that our constitutional freedoms in this country should not be limited, especially for the sake of a foreign nation..

BTW, I wont even try to explain wars/invasions into Israel. As I said before I do not think one side or the other is innocent nor the victim here. They are both aggressors who both want to be viewed as the victim in the worlds eyes. However to play devils advocate, how do you explain settlement building, israel being the biggest offender of UN violations, and the threats of pre-emptive strikes on Iran, almost like the way we pre-emptively struck Iraq for WMD?

13. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

28   2:53am Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Meccos says

like the way we pre-emptively struck Iraq for WMD?

so short on memory...

Iraq Liberation Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Liberation_Act

President Clinton stated in February 1998:

Iraq admitted, among other things, an offensive biological warfare capability, notably, 5,000 gallons of botulinum, which causes botulism; 2,000 gallons of anthrax; 25 biological-filled Scud warheads; and 157 aerial bombs. And I might say UNSCOM inspectors believe that Iraq has actually greatly understated its production.... Over the past few months, as [the weapons inspectors] have come closer and closer to rooting out Iraq's remaining nuclear capacity, Saddam has undertaken yet another gambit to thwart their ambitions by imposing debilitating conditions on the inspectors and declaring key sites which have still not been inspected off limits....

14. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

29   2:59am Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Meccos says

Again to clairfy, my point was that our constitutional freedoms in this country should not be limited, especially for the sake of a foreign nation..

So much of common sense. Our freedoms are not limited. Perhaps some terrorists freedom to accurately fire missiles into Israel. can you distinguish US citizens on the web vs some terrorists ?

15. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,055 threads
    13,364 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

30   1:13pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Vicente says

Patrick says

Easy solution, relocate them to some unused piece of land that is not hotly contested. Like Utah for example.

I agree. As an American taxpayer, I'd gladly flip the bill and provide land from the continental US or some newly constructed land to provide Israel with a safe and prosperous land in which to operate. We could even move soil and structures that are important to Israel to its new land. Exactly how far down does the "holy land" go given continental drift and Earth's molten core?

The fact is that putting Israel in the middle of Arab countries and redrawing maps after WWII was a stupid idea that stupid imperialists had to shirk off the responsibilities that Europe had to reintegrate and make reparations for Jews after the Holocaust. It was a bad idea.

That said, requiring Israeli citizens to return to Europe today would be an equally stupid idea as many were born in Israel and that is their homeland.

Physically moving the country, however, is much more plausible. In fact, doing so would give Israel what it wants, room for expansion. The physical lot of Israel is a tiny, miniscule piece of desert. We could easily provide a much larger sea-border land mass or newly constructed island, far away from Arab countries, where we could relocate Israel. And as expensive as that would be, it would be cheaper just in terms of dollars than constantly fighting Arabs. Add to that the lives saved and it's a no-brainer.

I wouldn't use Utah though. I've always imaged building a new Island just west of the European or north African mainland.

16. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,055 threads
    13,364 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

31   1:16pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

chanakya4773 says

Can you boys stop fighting on a never ending topic of middle east problems and keep the conversation to the original topic :

when did we start taking away freedoms of american citizens without their approval ?

About nine months into the Bush administration. America's cowardly reaction to 9/11 is exactly what started the whole "you have no rights, we can do anything under the guise of national security" mentality. And the Obama administration has double down on that mantra.

This is exactly why we need someone who is damn strong on human and civil rights as president. Unfortunately, there are damn few people in Washington who give a rat's ass about civil and human rights.

17. The Original Bankster

Follow
    Befriend
    45 threads
    1,109 comments
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Original Bankster's website

32   1:53pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Physically moving the country, however, is much more plausible. In fact, doing so would give Israel what it wants, room for expansion. The physical lot of Israel is a tiny, miniscule piece of desert. We could easily provide a much larger sea-border land mass or newly constructed island, far away from Arab countries, where we could relocate Israel. And as expensive as that would be, it would be cheaper just in terms of dollars than constantly fighting Arabs. Add to that the lives saved and it's a no-brainer.

great idea but this doesnt solve the problem of religious barbarism and intolerance reigning supreme in the mid-east.

18. socal2

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    588 comments

33   1:54pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

Vicente
    says

Patrick
    says

Easy solution, relocate them to some unused piece of land that is not hotly
    contested. Like Utah for example.

I agree. As an American taxpayer, I'd gladly flip the bill and provide land
    from the continental US or some newly constructed land to provide Israel with a
    safe and prosperous land in which to operate.

So dumb. Can't believe dopes in the West actually ape Jihadi propoganda and actually advocate ethnic cleansing in writing on an internet forum. Which other groups of peole are you willing to ethnically cleanse to try and keep the peace? Only the Jews? How about the Hindus in Kashmir? Christians in East Timor? Copts in Egypt? Kurds in Iraq, Turkey and Syria?

The Muslim world has already managed to ethnically cleanse virtually every last Jew (and Christian) out of Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Iran.........and dopey Americans suggest they help finish the job and move the rest of the middle east Jews to a shitty desert in Utah?

We can even put them in "camps" like we did the Japanese! And when the Jihadis find a new reason and hatred to justify their threats, what are you prepared to do next?

Read a freaking newspaper and get a clue. As we are seeing in Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan.......the "Muslim World" doesn't need the excuse of their deplorable anti-Semitism to encourage the massive hatred and violence between their various ethnic sects and religious groups.

@topic - I don't think we have a "constitutional right" to see hi-res satelite imagery of every country simply because the data exists for other countries.

19. Meccos

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    8 threads
    639 comments

34   7:56pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

chanakya4773 says

As i said before, i don't have any problem with Israel sending a request to Google just like many other countries do . The moment it became a US LAW without the approval of US public.. it crossed the line.

Exactly...

20. Meccos

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    8 threads
    639 comments

35   7:57pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

This is exactly why we need someone who is damn strong on human and civil rights as president.

Agree with you finally Dan... Ron Paul would have been that person...

21. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,055 threads
    13,364 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

36   8:52pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

socal2 says

So dumb. Can't believe dopes in the West actually ape Jihadi propoganda and actually advocate ethnic cleansing in writing on an internet forum.

Yeah, because giving Israel land where they can develop and grow in peace free from fear of terrorist is just like ethnic cleansing.

Some statements are just too moronic to debate.

22. bgamall4

Follow
    Befriend (11)
    1,239 threads
    7,691 comments
    64 male
    Las Vegas, NV
    bgamall4's website
    Premium

37   8:57pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

chanakya4773 says

The question is how could they slip in such a law in to a US LAW as a

National Defense Authorization Act.

It is unfortunate. It shows the power of Israel over America and it is unhealthy.

23. MershedPerturders

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    21 threads
    493 comments

38   9:44pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

chanakya4773 says

chanakya4773 says

@topic - I don't think we have a "constitutional right" to see hi-res satelite imagery of every country simply because the data exists for other countries.

Yes we do , unless the people of USA decide not to have one by agreeing on a LAW preventing that. This is how democracy works and constitution works. Are you implying that some foreign country will decide whether we have the right or not ? that too without our consent.

oh right, and criticizing Islam is 'offensive' somehow right?

you people are so incredibly biased, and chances are you too dumb to realize.

24. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

39   11:18pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

chanakya4773 says

when did we start taking away freedoms of american citizens without their approval ?

can you distinguish between a person or persons viewing sensitive military complex who log on who are US citizens vs foreign citizens ?

25. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

40   3:59am Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Vicente says

There's plenty of room here in Victor Valley.

26. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    167 threads
    5,504 comments

41   8:43am Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

JodyChunder says

Vicente says

There's plenty of room here in Victor Valley.

You know they'll just relocate to Santa Monica anyway to hang out with the rest of the Jews from Hollywood.

27. evildocs

Follow
    Befriend
    3 comments

42   12:56pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

"Israel attacks Arabs and Arabs attack Israel. Both are at fault."

How silly. Israel is Arab (muslim/christian) as well as jewish. Israel attacks those who try to destroy it.

Let's try, "USA attacks bin Laden. Bin Laden attacks the twin towers. Both are at fault".

Similar nonsense. Just sayin'...

28. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    52 threads
    1,864 comments
    Dublin, CA

43   1:19pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The main issue is that palestinians and most others in the middle east don't acknowledge israel's right to exist regardless of what the borders are/will be and regardless of potentiality of contiguous palestinian state. Also, it seems to me that middle east culture promotes values of revenge and has very long memory - memory of an elephant so to speak that will gladly wait for centuries or longer until they can exercise appropriate revenge. additionally they are not too keen on multuculturalism - otherwise why would they oppose jewish settlements? And in some way jewish culture over in israel is also very tribalistic - which promotes us vs them thinking. what a mess - makes our rep vs dems debates seem like child's play.

29. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

44   1:25pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dublin hillz says

The main issue is that palestinians and most others in the middle east don't acknowledge israel's right to exist

nobody has a "right to exist" in the geopolitical sense. You either defend that right or you lose it.

Sometimes right makes might, other times might makes right. If the Muslim world decides to push the Israelis into the sea, that's the Israelis' problem, not mine.

If you think it's your problem, you're welcome to support the Israelis. Just don't ask me to pony up my blood or treasure, we've done enough for them as it is, LOL.

"Israel is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign assistance since World War II. To date, the United States has provided Israel $115 billion in bilateral assistance."

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/mideast/RL33222.pdf

that's about the cost of the Vietnam War, ffs

30. socal2

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    588 comments

45   1:31pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

socal2 says

So dumb. Can't believe dopes in the West actually ape Jihadi propoganda and actually advocate ethnic cleansing in writing on an internet forum.

Yeah, because giving Israel land where they can develop and grow in peace free from fear of terrorist is just like ethnic cleansing.

Some statements are just too moronic to debate.

You are advocating the forced relocation of millions of people to appease violent and intolerant neighbors. You are also advocating the same policy made by Al Qaeda, Mullahs in Iran and Hamas.

It's just a massively dumb idea and only gives the Jihadis cover and excuses for their intolerance placing the blame for their dysfunction on the existence of Jews in Israel.

Israel is not what is wrong with the Muslim/Arab world. If Israel vanished yesterday, there would still be murderous violence between Sunnis, Shias, Kurds, Copts, Christians, Alawites, Druze.....

My town is filled with refugees from the Middle East. My next door neighbor if Bahi and fled Iran in 1979. He lives a peaceful life free from the nutter Mullahs, but he wishes he never had to leave his homeland and family in the first place.

31. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

46   1:36pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

SFace says

An address is good, but having a detailed aerial view is plain awesome.

I just noticed yesterday that they've updated their aerial mapping of Tokyo now, to match what Bing maps had, 3/4 views.

http://goo.gl/maps/xmdh2

is my old stomping grounds in Tokyo.

Google's also got good aerial mapping of Rome, now, too. I love a lot of that ramshackle mediterranean style in architecture.

Just walked by this place in W LA last weekend:

http://goo.gl/maps/R6l0W

such a sweet look

32. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

47   2:54pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://goo.gl/maps/f8y74

is my favorite place in all of SF I think.

Well, there are others that I like more but this place is awesome in its own way.

It looks ratty in that picture, but zoom out a bit:

http://goo.gl/maps/u1sRx

and you can see how perfectly situated it is to catch views of the financial district.

The house to the east is owned by Folger old-ish money, LOL

33. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

48   3:00pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://goo.gl/maps/yBLnb

is a tony neighborhood from Rome

I just love this medium-high density + tons of greenery.

So much better than our shitty land usage patterns.

34. Mark D

Follow
    Befriend
    241 threads
    905 comments
    Simi Valley, CA

49   4:06pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Vicente says

Patrick says

interesting idea. but i'm afraid many Americans will take issues with this. i have been to sites like stormfront, and i don't think the people there would take too kindly of these suggestions.

the British were pretty foreseeing and calculating. they pretty much did Europeans (and maybe the Jews too, considering what happened in WWII) a big favor by sending the Jews back to the Middle East. for Europeans, it's better that the Jews duke it out with their Muslim neighbors over land disputes than to create conflicts within Europe.

not just the Jews but other things such as handling Indians as well. instead of lusting after every single half naked Indian woman, they gave them a separate piece of land. when you look at Central America and South America today, you'll see that was probably the best thing they ever did for their empire. America is #1 but anything down below the border is a mess.

apparently the British and the French were able to keep their dicks inside their pants while the Spanish and the Portuguese weren't. And that made all the difference!

the one thing a white college history or sociology professor will be sure to tell you is that a smaller invading army will eventually get absorbed into the larger local population and eventually disappear (i.e the Mongols). it appears that the British figured this out long ago.

35. Bellingham Bill

Follow
    Befriend
    77 threads
    3,225 comments
    Bellingham, WA

50   5:23pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  36. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,952 comments
    Davis, CA

51   10:48pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

My Israeli friends have a funny relationship with the US.

On the one hand, if you have a kid on US soil they call that the "golden ticket", for if everything goes to shit in the motherland.

On the other hand, any minor slip of 100% blind Israeli support, that really enrages them and makes them mistrust us.

Then you look at stuff like this Google thing Patrick brought up, and you realize that any WORDS like "tut tut" that politicians make about Israel/Palestine, they just don't matter. The unblinking ACTION is support for Israel and the words mean nothing.

37. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    268 threads
    5,952 comments
    Davis, CA

52   10:51pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

I wouldn't use Utah though. I've always imaged building a new Island just west of the European or north African mainland.

Why? Utah is an unhabitable wasteland. I vaguely recall there's a handful of hermits or communists eking out an existence on a few scraps of land mostly in the northern part. But I'm sure they can share, and the rest of it's wide open.

38. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,055 threads
    13,364 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

53   5:46pm Sun 14 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Vicente says

Why? Utah is an unhabitable wasteland.

Exactly. I don't mind paying for some decent non-landlocked land for Israel to relocated to and have a descent economy. How would you convince the population to move to Utah? That sucks even more than the Middle East.

39. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

54   8:31pm Sun 14 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Vicente says

Why? Utah is an unhabitable wasteland.

very beautiful country. you should visit it one day. just dont be shocked that good law abiding citizens can have "open and carry" guns in public. you will also find many real Californians living there as well.

40. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,779 comments
    Victorville, CA

55   9:17pm Sun 14 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The University of Utah is a beautiful campus at the foot of Black Mountain.

« First     « Previous comments    

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 167 milliseconds to create.