If the Whales had won, there wouldn't even Be a housing crisis--try the book!! (Advertisement)

Why wealthy Chinese are giving up US green cards

By Patrick   Follow   Sat, 23 Mar 2013, 2:47pm   649 views   11 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://live.wsj.com/video/why-wealthy-chinese-are-giving-up-us-green-cards/6C2DF60C-128C-4BFF-B2A4-4CEE7F136DF7.html?mod=patrick.net

An American passport can be a costly accessory-with U.S. citizenship come U.S. taxes. The WSJ's Wei Gu explains why some wealthy Chinese are instead taking advantage of offers to become citizens of cash-strapped European countries and wealthy Asian cities.

Viewing Comments 1-11 of 11     Last »     See most liked comments

1. David9

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    978 comments
    Tarzana, CA

1   2:51pm Sat 23 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Gosh, well, I thought all those nice, wealthy, Chinese were up there in Bay Area setting the Real Estate market on Fire.

2. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,615 threads
    6,306 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

2   2:52pm Sat 23 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yup, that's why it's an interesting article.

3. Rin

Follow
    Befriend
    26 threads
    1,464 comments

3   4:37pm Sat 23 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

They're new to the table. The first billionaire investor to do that was John Templeton. He gave his US citizenship, after getting his 2nd passport from the UK and settled down in the Bahamas, thus paying no UK taxes as an ex-pat. He then visited family at home, as a British tourist in America. What a way to have your cake.

4. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    330 threads
    2,460 comments

4   5:02pm Sat 23 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The US treatment of expats is barbaric.

5. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    94 threads
    3,864 comments

5   2:47am Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  
  6. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,693 comments

6   8:13am Sun 24 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

David9 says

Gosh, well, I thought all those nice, wealthy, Chinese were up there in Bay Area setting the Real Estate market on Fire.

Always a bay area wet dream. There are 10,000 investment visa's available every year. Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 get used. No one with serious money is going to go to the US and be subject to US taxes.

7. fedwatcher

Follow
    Befriend
    231 comments
    Valencia, CA

7   1:38am Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The video ignores the main reason these people do not want a U.S. Green Card or U.S. Passport which is that the U.S. is one of the few countries that taxes your worldwide income.

With most passports you will be taxed only on the income you receive in the country of the passport, but with a U.S. Passport you are taxed on all your income no matter where it is earned.

Even as the U.S. has made it easier to get a visa toward citizenship, Canadian passports are valued more.

8. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

8   4:01am Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

David9 says

uh huh huh huh.

9. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,693 comments

9   6:38am Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

fedwatcher says

With most passports you will be taxed only on the income you receive in the country of the passport, but with a U.S. Passport you are taxed on all your income no matter where it is earned.

Most countries today tax on world wide income, but only while you are residing in the country. The US is the only country other than Eritrea that taxes you while non resident. Here is the list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_taxation

10. David9

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    31 threads
    978 comments
    Tarzana, CA

10   8:55am Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bob2356 says

No one with serious money is going to go to the US and be subject to US taxes.

IMO, frankly, it's not as sexy or the party town atmosphere that draws tourists and wealthy expats to other hot spots around the globe, too many to mention.

11. bob2356

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    3,693 comments

11   12:46am Sat 30 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

SFace says

EB-5 - investment VISA has never been more robust. Talking to someone from Barclay's, the EB-5 are near maxed out.

http://blog.lucidtext.com/category/eb-5-statistics/

I don't consider 6000 apps with 3600 accepted out of 10k in the latest available year maxed out. EB-5 was a new program in 2006, there were 400 apps the whole year. Actually is was a totally rewritten program. The original eb-5 went back to 1990 but was so hard to use that no one bothered with it. Congress totally rewrote EB-5 in 2005. I don't have a clue why anyone at Barclay's would be dealing with eb-5's to start with (and I seriously doubt they do) but I don't think I'll banking with Barclay's if that's their understanding of the numbers.

SFace says

EB1-EB-2 EB-3, EB-4 VISA are always maxed out to quot

I've never heard of a quota on eb1/eb2. Citizens and immigration website doesn't list any quota. Immigrant law and Terra.com websites says there isn't any. http://www.immigralaw.com/english/immigrationquotas.html, http://immigration.terra.com/visa_trader_e1.html. Where did you get this from?

EB-3 is Australians only. Average 2-3k visa's a year on a quota of 15k. That's maxed out? EB-3 isn't really an investment visa anyway. It's a special H1-B for Australians only that was part of the Australia free trade agreement. EB-4 is for religious workers for christ sakes, not investors. Where are you getting your information?

Why the fuck would anyone spend 3m for their kids to go to university in the US? No one in China has ever heard of a student visa? I doubt that. Last time I checked F-1 visas weren't even charged for.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 135 milliseconds to create.