Fed mistakes of the early 2000s are indeed being repeated

By Call it Crazy   Follow   Mon, 25 Mar 2013, 8:50pm   392 views   11 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

History seems to be repeating itself as rising home prices are not leading to a reduction in unemployment as quickly as market strength may indicate, possibly creating another housing bubble, said Bank of America Merrill Lynch in its latest report.

"In particular, by virtue of its willingness to purchase large amounts of treasury and mortgage debt at historically low yields, the Fed appears to be condoning further expansion of such debt, with the obvious irony that it was the expansion of such debt, most notably mortgage debt, that created the crisis in the first place," said strategists Chris Flanagan and Matthew Carr of BofAML

"If it is accepted that the Fed is creating asset inflation, most notably in housing, in order to lower the unemployment rate, then it appears as if the mistakes of the early 2000s are indeed being repeated," the analysts said.

http://www.housingwire.com/news/2013/03/25/continued-qe3-may-lead-another-housing-bubble-bofaml

Viewing Comments 1-11 of 11     Last »     See most liked comments

1. bmwman91

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    40 threads
    1,539 comments

1   10:43pm Mon 25 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

BofA calling a housing bubble...not THAT'S irony!

2. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,105 comments

2   1:50pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

Call it Crazy says

Continued QE3 may lead to another housing bubble: BofAML

Is this the same BofA that bought countryslide lending at the peak of the bubble????

just sayin...

I guess they aren't as smart as you!!! Give me your number, I'll have them call you for real estate advice, since you're such an expert!!

3. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    521 threads
    3,121 comments

3   1:57pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Interesting. It certainly does feel like a bubble, with the frenzy to buy or you gonna miss out mindset.

4. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,550 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

4   2:02pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

lostand confused says

Interesting. It certainly does feel like a bubble, with the frenzy to buy or you gonna miss out mindset.

A lot of money can be made off shorting the bubble at the perfect time. A lot!!! Bring it on baby, I'm more than ready this time.

5. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,446 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

5   2:18pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

lostand confused says

Not to me. It feels like we overshot to the downside to the point where even 100%-financed rental properties were cash flow positive by hundreds of dollars at closing. I don't think housing has been that cheap for 50 years so it's not surprising that we got a quick spike after the lifeguard blew the all clear whistle.

Even with these huge increases, housing now feels reasonably affordable. $500,000 will buy you a decent home on the BART tracks and the PITI will only be around $2200 a month. Most dual income families would have no problem picking up this cost if they could come up with a down payment and financing. A 10% down would bring this up to $2400.

RentingForHalfTheCost says

A lot of money can be made off shorting the bubble at the perfect time. A lot!!! Bring it on baby, I'm more than ready this time.

If you short this market, you're going to be decimated and left for dead. There is absolutely no chance we see any significant decline for at least the next three years. Furthermore I'd like to know how you intend to short a housing market now that credit default swaps are gone.

6. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,550 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

6   2:24pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

If you short this market, you're going to be decimated and left for dead. There is absolutely no chance we see any significant decline for at least the next three years. Furthermore I'd like to know how you intend to short a housing market now that credit default swaps are gone.

I wouldn't take a short position yet. I agree you could get decimated. For a position I would think of the housing stocks themselves for one. Also, banks will have to undergo some more pain into the future. The first mess is far from cleared. The double whammy when it comes will be a great opportunity. The problem is in finding the top as always. We all know the signs now and they are slowly creeping back.

7. lostand confused

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    521 threads
    3,121 comments

7   2:33pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Not to me. It feels like we overshot to the downside to the point where even
    100%-financed rental properties were cash flow positive by hundreds of dollars
    at closing. I don't think housing has been that cheap for 50 years so it's not
    surprising that we got a quick spike after the lifeguard blew the all clear
    whistle.

In areas like Phoenix, it did overshoot. When you can pick up a condo for 22k and a house for 60k or 80k, that is low. Or like when I was living in the midwest, my colleague bought a 38k foreclosure from the bank . If I didn't move back, I was thinking of buying a house or two or three-at those prices and 30yrs-that is like a car payment. That is low for a single family home on a lot. Now in CA, the only reason current PITI is so low is due to interest rates. It is 2. something for 15 yr mortgages and 3. something for 30 year. If it is just 7% , then that doubles the interest portion of your mortgage. These are historically low interest rates.

The good thing is if you locked in your prices-you will only pay at that rate. But otherwise in many areas the prices are reaching 2006 levels . 2000 levels was fair-because the economy was booming , but it hasn't for twelve years and now housing itself has become like the economy-well kinda.

8. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,446 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

8   2:38pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

lostand confused says

The good thing is if you locked in your prices-you will only pay at that rate. But otherwise in many areas the prices are reaching 2006 levels . 2000 levels was fair-because the economy was booming , but it hasn't for twelve years and now housing itself has become like the economy-well kinda.

While I'm not sure about the term "fair", I will say that the amount of ready cash has exploded since 2006. There is an ocean of American money out there and most of it is in the hands of people who could pay cash for 100 homes if they wanted to.

Prices are going to exceed 2006 levels nationwide within a few years. I wasn't sure several years ago when I was buying houses, but I'm sure now.

9. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    387 threads
    20,446 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

9   2:39pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

Call it Crazy says

I guess they aren't as smart as you!!! Give me your number, I'll have them call you for real estate advice, since you're such an expert!!

Are you serious? There's no entity on planet earth more ignorant that a bank. I'd trust the opinions of a 3rd grader over Bank of America.

10. Call it Crazy

Follow
    Befriend
    877 threads
    11,105 comments

10   7:39pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

iwog says

Are you serious? There's no entity on planet earth more ignorant that a bank. I'd trust the opinions of a 3rd grader over Bank of America.

Are you calling Roberto a 3rd grader??? Come on, you're giving him too much credit....

11. RentingForHalfTheCost

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    63 threads
    2,550 comments
    Pleasanton, CA

11   9:21am Wed 27 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Another probable conclusion

Premise 1. Rob is smarter than a bank
    Premise 2. A 3rd grader is smarter than a bank
    Conclusion: Without a bank we are all 3rd graders and smarter than Robert. ;)

Call it Crazy is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 58 milliseconds to create.