Small company with balls counter-sues Craigslist over listing data

By Patrick   Follow   Tue, 26 Mar 2013, 3:02pm   374 views   7 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://3taps.com/papers/3taps-answer-counterclaim.pdf

To the extent that there is anything genuinely “unique” about craigslist’s free ads, it is because they are the works of users who place their own ads, write their own copy, and own or control the goods or services that they — not craigslist — advertise. 3taps denies that these works of others can be asserted by craigslist as its own.

Viewing Comments 1-7 of 7     Last »     See most liked comments

1. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    15 threads
    395 comments

1   3:44pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This is just a publicity stunt that has no merit or legal grounds.

2. CashWillCrash

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    183 comments

2   4:50pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Well, they got sued by Craigslist and first and now they are just filing counter claim. A little bit too much to read though...

“The basis of our antitrust counterclaim and defense against Craigslist’s baseless lawsuit is simple: public facts are public property – openly and equally available to businesses and consumers”
    – Greg Kidd, Founder/ CEO

3. epitaph

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    15 threads
    395 comments

3   4:56pm Tue 26 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

CashWillCrash says

Well, they got sued by Craigslist and first and now they are just filing counter claim. A little bit too much to read though...

“The basis of our antitrust counterclaim and defense against Craigslist’s baseless lawsuit is simple: public facts are public property – openly and equally available to businesses and consumers”

– Greg Kidd, Founder/ CEO

That would be a great argument if Craigslist wasn't a private company.

4. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,017 threads
    12,454 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

4   6:43pm Sat 30 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

The way I see it is that if you publish anything on the Internet, you don't get to deny people copying or linking to it. That's the entire purpose and nature of the Internet: to spread information. If you want the information to be private and controlled, don't put it on the Internet.

You can't take the aspects of the Internet you want and stop the other aspects from operating. The Internet is only a success, and thus appealing to you as an advertising vehicle, because information flows freely to it. Those aspects you want to stop working are exactly the aspects that made the Internet so damn appealing to you in the first place.

I'd vote for 3taps.com in this case.

By the way, when did Craigslist become
    1. Profitable
    2. Evil

I thought the founder Craig didn't care about money and refused lucrative offers to sell Craiglist in order to keep it free and a public service. Hell, how does Craiglist even make money?

An on another note, isn't Craiglist like the crappiest classifies website one could possibly write. I mean, even in 1994, I say way the hell better sites.

5. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    110 threads
    4,195 comments

5   10:48pm Sat 30 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Hell, how does Craiglist even make money?

Craig's List makes money advertising for realtors and charging employers to place job listings. I can't help suspecting someone there might also be getting a cut from spammers, because the site is flooded with overposts and "keyword" lists that make search results meaningless.

6. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,656 threads
    6,330 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

6   9:46am Sun 31 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

The way I see it is that if you publish anything on the Internet, you don't get to deny people copying or linking to it. That's the entire purpose and nature of the Internet: to spread information. If you want the information to be private and controlled, don't put it on the Internet.

I agree, as long as the source gets credited. I'd have no problem crediting Craiglist for data that the public entered on their site as long as I can re-use the data to add value.

7. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,017 threads
    12,454 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

7   12:43pm Sun 31 Mar 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Patrick says

I'd have no problem crediting Craiglist for data that the public entered on their site as long as I can re-use the data to add value.

Of course the ETL process is much more complicated than that. Scrappers will search tons of sites including Cragslist, Zillow, rentals, mynewplace, etc. Anything even remotely a good source, and the criteria for good is very low indeed.

Once you've aggregated all the data, you clean it up, transform it, combine the data from all sources into load tables. Then a final pass on the load tables, combining them with official sources like HUD and property appraisal (tax appraisal) records, and only then do you load the final results into your production database.

By then, the information doesn't clearly come from any particular source. So the best you can do is just say some of the data came from the following sources...

The point is that it's not as simple as copy-n-paste from a website and quoting it like you would in a high school report. Data is kind of like pink slime.

Hmmm, data.

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 125 milliseconds to create.