Adults learn to swim in 6 Day phoenix Vacation - End of Fear! (Advertisement)

No left wing terror deaths in the USA in 30+ years.

By thunderlips11   Follow   Wed, 17 Apr 2013, 12:03pm   648 views   45 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Sixties radicals may grow old, but they never seem to go out of style. In a trailer for Robert Redford’s recently released film, The Company You Keep, we are informed: “In 1969, a group of radical anti-war protesors began a campaign of bombings on American soil.” Redford plays a former terrorist, still in hiding “30 years after the notorious bank robbery that claimed the life of a guard.”

Never mind that the actual Weathermen didn’t go in much for bank robberies and avoided killing anyone during their bombing campaign. Several ex-Weathermen were involved in the horrifically bungled Brink’s armored car robbery at Rockland County, NY’s Nanuet Mall. Carried out by the remnants of the Black Liberation Army (a hyper-violent fragment of the Black Panther Party) and a few ex-members of the Weather Underground, the crime left two police officers and a security guard dead. The attempted robbery, which ended in the arrest or death of all involved, took place on Oct. 20, 1981.There have been no deaths linked to American left-wing extremism since.

The last time a left-wing extremist killed somebody was 30+ years ago, when Rick James released "Superfreak" and Mork and Mindy was being produced on TV.

Article Continues...

But the specter of left-wing terrorism continues to hold a powerful sway over the American imagination. A policeman in George V. Higgin’s novel Outlaws describes a cadre of lefty terrorists as “Longhairs that got bored with protesting the war and branched out,” a description that sums up the general feeling about everyone from the Weather Underground to the Symbionese Liberation Army. The closest modern-day equivalent is the Earth Liberation Front, whose periodic fire bombings target property and have caused no deaths. (ELF is getting a hip cinematic touchup in the form of the new indie thriller The East: “We will counterattack three corporations for their worldwide terrorism in the next six months,” Ellen Page murmurs, as a swirling montage of images implies that her radical environmentalist clique’s tactics will quickly, violently and stylishly spin out of control.)

But today there is no equivalent threat from left-wing extremists. Small bands of masked protestors periodically indulge in a bout of window smashing or throw rocks at the police, but bombings, bank robberies and gunfights with law enforcement are the province of fringe right-wing extremist groups. “Unlike the 1960s and 1970s, there are few, true left-wing extremist organizations operating in the United States,” Daryl Johnson notes in Right-Wing Resurgence: How A Domestic Terrorism Threat Is Being Ignored. Johnson is an expert on domestic non-Islamic extremism and a former senior analyst with the Department of Homeland Security, although his unit was dismantled in the wake of conservative outrage over its report on right-wing extremism in the United States. In January 2009, Johnson’s team warned of increased cyber attacks, which “are attractive options to leftwing extremists who view attacks on economic targets as aligning with their nonviolent, ‘no-harm’ doctrine.”

“I stand by the statement that the left-wing terrorist groups were active in the 1970s and early '80s and we’ve seen a shift to more right-wing extremism,” Johnson says. “We do have left-wing extremists who are active and they do property destruction and commit acts of arson; there have been occasional incidents where a police officer will get injured…but the vast majority of these things are property destruction. They just don’t have the body count.”

But no American left-wing radical group has resorted to the kind of murderous plot found in the works of Tom Clancy and Michael Crichton, popular authors who cast environmentalist and anarchist groups as brutal villains.

As Daryl Johnson testified before the Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution, right-wing extremist have killed 16 police officers and 20 other Americans between 2006 and 2012. (That’s a higher toll than the collective murders of all the American leftist terrorists of the 1970s combined.) Many women’s health clinics, African-American churches and mosques have been attacked in the same period. Just last week a man believed to be a member of a white supremacist gang murdered the chief of the Colorado Department of Corrections in his home.

But aside from the movie American History X, right-wing terrorists don’t have the same hold on the popular imagination (maybe corrupted idealism is more interesting than pure hate). As Benjamin Kunkel wrote in a 2005 essay, “The terrorist novel has dealt mostly with…the gun-happy dregs of the domestic New Left, who for all their snarling communiques killed only a handful of people, and that 20 and 30 years ago.” (See: Philip Roth’s American Pastoral.)

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-right/whatever-happened-left-wing-domestic-terrorism?page=0%2C2

Compare the plots and deaths from lefties to those from the right:
http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/publications/terror-from-the-right

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 6-45 of 45     Last »     See most liked comments

1. finehoe

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    479 comments
    Washington, DC

6   2:25pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

thomaswong.1986 says

they all failed not only in the USA... they failed globally in all nations.

Yet 21st century "conservatives" such as yourself are obsessed with the likes of has-beens such as Bill Ayers. Why is that?

2. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

7   2:29pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

thunderlips11 says

Seems to me leftists seldom target the mass of the population they're trying to recruit for the "social revolution". Killing people tends to turn them off against joining your revolution.

And that is why they failed.. from Northern and Southern America across Europe and into Asia.
    In every nation across many cultures they lost public support and were seen as murders thugs and criminals.

thunderlips11 says

Whereas righties see the general public as heretics, backsliders, brainwashed sheeple, or just plain unrepentant sinners, so have no trouble killing "innocents", whom they don't regard as truly "innocent".

Only a screwed up Lefty would think that.... eventually you will grow up.

3. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

8   2:49pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

finehoe says

Yet 21st century "conservatives" such as yourself are obsessed with the likes of has-beens such as Bill Ayers. Why is that?

obsession ? LOL na ! thats a perfume ! Media's glamorization with Bill Avers is an irony. As is the hypocrisy with Chris Matthews. To call the so called anti-war period and the bombing by the WU as an 'exciting time' and different from KKK bombings in the south. Both are evil both need to be stopped and punished. And while you would give a break to the unrepentant Bill Avers, I like many would not.. neither to WU or the KKK. Both are evil and un-American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=g52V04jUYVc#at=171

But do continue with the Big Right Wing Conspiracy nonsense..many are still waiting on the racist Tea Party to show up. Seen any lately ?

4. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    114 threads
    3,432 comments
    Premium

9   2:59pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

finehoe says

Because they have to assign all the troubles to their boogeymen.

thomaswong.1986 says

J. Salvi
    T. McVeigh
    M. Atta
    J.C. Kopp
    P.J. Hill
    J.D. Adkinsson

More more, including ones busted before they could hatch, here:

5. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

10   3:02pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

thunderlips11 says

thomaswong.1986 says

J. Salvi

T. McVeigh

M. Atta

J.C. Kopp

P.J. Hill

J.D. Adkinsson

Hell, conservatives have no problem with "guilt by accusation" and saying everyone in Gitmo and other torture centers must be guilty or else the government wouldn't have kidnapped them.

6. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

11   3:26pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (3)  

Dan8267 says

J. Salvi

T. McVeigh

M. Atta

J.C. Kopp

P.J. Hill

J.D. Adkinsson

Prosecute them .. send them to prison, and if they walk out of prison unrepentant wishing they did more, do you give them a job in the same building they tried to demolish, a govt they tried to overthrow, allow them to work with people they tried to murder, and give them a pension to retire on. If its Bill Avery, it must be OK, it was after all "an exciting time to be in the anti-war movement.. it was glamorous.. and you were a cultural hero."

Common sense escapes you ...

7. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

12   3:30pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike (1)  

thomaswong.1986 says

Common sense escapes you ...

Your point escapes me.

8. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

13   3:31pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (2)  

Dan8267 says

Hell, conservatives have no problem with "guilt by accusation" and saying everyone in Gitmo and other torture centers must be guilty or else the government wouldn't have kidnapped them.

When you find them in al qaeda terrorist camps.. it sure isnt an Elk Convention by mistake.

9. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

14   3:32pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (5)  

Dan8267 says

Your point escapes me.

your far to gone to make any sense.. reality escaped you long ago.

10. dodgerfanjohn

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    1,090 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

15   5:35pm Wed 17 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (2)  

thomaswong.1986 says

Dan8267 says

Your point escapes me.

your far to gone to make any sense.. reality escaped you long ago.

I think I've been correctly making that point as of late.

11. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    114 threads
    3,432 comments
    Premium

16   8:53am Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

If its Bill Avery, it must be OK, it was after all "an exciting time to be in the anti-war movement.. it was glamorous.. and you were a cultural hero."

Bill Avery? I think you mean Bill Ayers.

He didn't kill anybody. Those other guys I mentioned did.

12. finehoe

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    479 comments
    Washington, DC

17   9:28am Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

obsession ?

Well, a search of your Pat.net postings results in four pages of hits mentioning him going back to 2009. Seems like an obsession to me.

13. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

18   9:43am Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

thomaswong.1986 says

Dan8267 says

When you find them in al qaeda terrorist camps.. it sure isnt an Elk Convention by mistake.

You are so fucking ignorant it's disgusting. For once in your miserable, pathetic life read something and become educated about a subject matter first.

CIA agents tortured a German citizen, sodomising, shackling, and beating him, as Macedonian state police looked on, the European court of human rights said in a historic judgment released on Thursday.

In a unanimous ruling, it also found Macedonia guilty of torturing, abusing, and secretly imprisoning Khaled el-Masri, a German of Lebanese origin allegedly linked to terrorist organisations.

Masri was released in April 2004. He was taken, blindfolded and handcuffed, by plane to Albania and subsequently to Germany, after the CIA admited he was wrongly detained.

Oh shit, I guess that just doesn't matter to you though. At least not until it happens to you or one of your family.

14. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

19   12:18pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Chris Dorner was a leftist according to his manifesto.

You must have missed this part of his manifesto:
    "I didn’t vote in this last election as my choice of candidate, John Huntsman, didn’t win the primary candidacy for his party."

Anyway, Dorner was a moderate politically and his attacks were not motivated by politics.

15. chemechie

Follow
    Befriend
    102 comments
    Wheeling, WV

20   2:34pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

You can blame any ideology based on how you cherry pick your data - for instance, see the attached photo currently circulated on some conservative sites:

16. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

21   4:42pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thunderlips11 says

Bill Avery? I think you mean Bill Ayers.

He didn't kill anybody. Those other guys I mentioned did.

Osama Bin Laden didnt kill anybody.. those other guys did.

The mafia bosses didnt commit any crimes.. those other guys did.

yes... guilt by association !

17. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

22   4:45pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Oh shit, I guess that just doesn't matter to you though. At least not until it happens to you or one of your family.

cry me a river ! so what ! in a sea of 1000 captured terrorists.. you want everyone to go free on account of what ?

18. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

23   4:49pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

chemechie says

You can blame any ideology based on how you cherry pick your data

Um--exactly...or you can just make up lies, put them in a graphic and distribute it on the internet as "proof."

With very little effort I can see several problems with your graphic:
    - Only two of the people on the list were perhaps motivated by any strong religious or political ideology: Nidal Hasan, and Wade Michael Page. Regardless of any alleged party registration they both were right-wingers Hasan an extreme Islamist, and Page was an active white supremacist.

-Dorner was not an Obama "supporter", he was a moderate republican (funny the graphic does not mention his party affiliation). A supporter of Jon Huntsman, Dorner did not vote for Obama. It says it right there in his manifesto. Also, Dorner was not motivated by any political ideology.

-Harris and Klebold -- while not motivated by an ideology -- were documented admirers of the nazi movement. You know that right-wing organization that instigated some trouble in Europe a while back.

-The others were not motivated by any political agenda, but by severe mental illness.

The question is why would someone feel the need to fake up a list trying to attribute mass killings to "liberal" Democrat ideology and even go to the extreme of putting clear right-wingers (or even a moderate republican) on that list?

19. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

24   4:51pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Dan8267 says

cry me a river ! so what ! in a sea of 1000 captured terrorists.. you want everyone to go free on account of what ?

Your response is exactly why you and your ilk are morally bankrupt and despicable.

20. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

25   5:01pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

chemechie says

You can blame any ideology based on how you cherry pick your data - for instance, see the attached photo currently circulated on some conservative sites:

Instead of posting some made up stuff, at least they should be making a list of liberal equivalents to Jim David Atkisson, Byron Williams, or Martin Hohenegger. You know people who picked up a gun thinking, "I hate liberals, and I am going to kill one today."

"Conservatives" today seem to be very fond of profiling Muslims because Muslims are indeed more likely to commit a terror act. We should also keep in mind that if today in the US someone is trying to kill someone else because of their political beliefs (or what they think your political beliefs are) it is most likely a conservative trying to kill a liberal. Yet, the conservatives wail and gnash their teeth at the mention that one of there "own" might be responsible. Hell, they even go to such lengths as making up bullshit graphics to try to prove otherwise. Funny how that double-standard works.

21. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

26   7:01pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

I guess I have to start a new meme.

22. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

27   7:50pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Your response is exactly why you and your ilk are morally bankrupt and despicable.

Name all the Right Wing terrorist organizations you know of over the past 30 years that committed bombings and kills. Perhaps Thunderlips might help you. Along with the each incident did you hear of 100s of others associated with that group that were arrested and persecuted for these crimes as was the case with the Left radical groups.

All those Left Wing groups had names, and their members had warrants for their arrest.

So what are the Right Wing Terror groups names.. and how many of their members are being sought out for terrorist act ?

23. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

28   7:59pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

leo707 says

"Conservatives" today seem to be very fond of profiling Muslims because Muslims are indeed more likely to commit a terror act.

what are the odds of a Catholic or Jew setting off a bomb in the USA compared to someone entering the country from Middle East Libya to Pakistan ? For the past 60 plus years the middle east was it hot bed of terrorist organization from Libya to Syria to Iran,

of course we need to profile potential treats... if you try to imped our security, what more are you than a conspirator and saboteur to our national security.

I sure dont see or know of anyone group trying to kill another over political view. If you are aware of any, you need to contact the FBI. I would !

24. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

29   10:27pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

Right Wing terrorist organizations you know of over the past 30 years that committed bombings and kills.

Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, CIA, FBI. These are the biggest terrorists groups. They literally take pride in literally inflicting terror into others. And none of them seem to have any qualms about killing innocents including children. See Move, Waco, Kent State, Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, just to name a few.

25. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

30   10:32pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, CIA, FBI. These are the biggest terrorists groups. They literally take pride in literally inflicting terror into others. And none of them seem to have any qualms about killing innocents including children.

I expected nothing less from you, Dan.

Dan8267 says

See Move, Waco, Kent State, Iraq, Afghanistan, Vietnam, just to name a few.

Even the Vietnamese immigrants in Little Saigon (San Jose, CA) would consider you a communist nut case.

26. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

31   11:08pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

thomaswong.1986 says

I expected nothing less from you, Dan.

Coming from someone who is okay with the following, I'll take that as a compliment.

Dan8267 says

CIA agents tortured a German citizen, sodomising, shackling, and beating him, as Macedonian state police looked on, the European court of human rights said in a historic judgment released on Thursday.

thomaswong.1986 says

27. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    24 threads
    5,654 comments

32   11:27pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Coming from someone who is okay with the following, I'll take that as a compliment.

anything from you have some salt near by.

28. Homeboy

Follow
    Befriend
    37 threads
    3,256 comments

33   11:39pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

29. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    114 threads
    3,432 comments
    Premium

34   9:23am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

chemechie says

- Only two of the people on the list were perhaps motivated by any strong religious or political ideology: Nidal Hasan, and Wade Michael Page. Regardless of any alleged party registration they both were right-wingers Hasan an extreme Islamist, and Page was an active white supremacist.

The Sikh Temple shooter was a "Registered Democrat", also, never mind his white supremacist ties. Amazing how the Democratic Party and the President are the handmaidens of Bill Ayers and the Black Panthers, as well as White Supremacists.

Google "Cognitive Dissonance"

30. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

35   10:25am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

I didn't miss the part where he express his pro-Obama and pro-gun-control views.

That is called cherry-picking. That lets you confuse a respect for the office of the President of the United States of America with support for the current person holding that position. I know...it is confusing and I don't expect you to understand and having respect for the office, regardless of who holds it, probably makes him a RINO in your book. *pssst* he was also pissed that people disrespected Bush...

I suppose you missed this quote from Dorner's manifesto also:
    "The honorable President George H.W. Bush, they never give you enough credit for your successful Presidency. You were always one of my favorite Presidents (2nd favorite). I hope your health improves greatly. You are the epitome of an American and service to country."

Please find a quote in the manifesto that gives anywhere near that kind of praise for Obama.

I know it may be a tough pill for you to swallow, but Dorner was a moderate Republican.

IDDQD says

pro-gun-control views.

Everyone is pro-gun-control -- well unless they are insane, a gun manufacturer or the NRA (the official lobbyists of the gun manufacturers) -- the difference is where we draw the line. I am sure that if you were to actually read Dorner's manifesto there is probably some gun control in there that you think is a good idea. Like, do you think that someone should be able to get a hold of class III weapons without having had a background check? Do you know what a class III weapon is?

31. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    951 threads
    11,165 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

36   10:36am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

leo707 says

Do you know what a class III weapon is?

It means you have to be at least a level 5 dark wizard or level 7 paladin, or you have to have the Use Advanced Weapons perk or a scroll of +2 dexterity. Right?

32. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

37   10:40am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

leo707 says

Do you know what a class III weapon is?

It means you have to be at least a level 5 dark wizard or level 7 paladin, or you have to have the Use Advanced Weapons perk or a scroll of +2 dexterity. Right?

Well, ideally but in today's legal climate just claim you have the prerequisites and the DM does not do any checking.

Also, I feel it my moral duty to steer you in the right direction before you destroy your life:
    http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/robertson-demonic-dungeons-dragons-literally-destroyed-peoples-lives

33. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    114 threads
    3,432 comments
    Premium

38   10:49am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

leo707 says

I know it may be a tough pill for you to swallow, but Dorner was a moderate Republican.

Dorner was actually a man of integrity, who once found and returned a bag containing thousands of dollars to it's owners. He went apeshit because he reported that a colleague used excessive force, they didn't punish the colleague but drummed him out of the force (Breaking The Blue Code of Silence is a capital crime). Which is why the cops went after him with extra gusto.

Doesn't excuse his behavior, only explains it.

He was definitely a guy who believed in the system, and went nuts when the system turned on him, despite that he did what he was officially, on paper, 'supposed' to do.

34. chemechie

Follow
    Befriend
    102 comments
    Wheeling, WV

39   11:11am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

I think I know what Class 3 dealer is, and what Title II weapon is, but I'm
    not sure what class III weapon is.

A Class III dealer deals Class III weapons - those covered by the NFA (National Firearms Act); machine guns, destructive devices, silencers, and short barreled rifles & shotguns.
    Unlike what many people think, including some Senators, civilians CANNOT easily buy a full-automatic weapon; while they are legal (in most states), their purchase is expensive and requires time consuming paperwork.

35. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

40   11:24am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

I think I know what Class 3 dealer is, and what Title II weapon is, but I'm not sure what class III weapon is.

Class III (3) weapons are what a Class 3 dealer sells, so yeah essentially title II weapons.

IDDQD says

leo707 says

, but Dorner was a moderate Republican.

Nope, support for AWB knocks him right out of that category. Nowadays AWB is a leftist issue, nobody on the right (or even moderate left) would touch it with a 100ft pole.

He draws his line a little differently than you or I. So, what. No ones political views matches 100% with their party identification. Gun control is but one issue and drawing ones line in a different place hardly disqualifies someone from just about anywhere on the political spectrum. The only exception of-course being the far right.

If you were talking about a politician whose job is on the line -- then yeah no-one but the farther left would actually vote for a Regan style AWB. *hint* I am thinking that Regan was actually Dorner's favorite president. Much of his anti-gun rant could have been pulled right from old Regan quotes.

36. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

41   11:26am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Agree. He basically wasn't grown-up (read "cynical") enough to survive career path he has chosen for himself.

Yep, at some point in his carrier he was going to run into the exact same problem. It just happened sooner rather than later.

37. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

42   11:30am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

chemechie says

Unlike what many people think, including some Senators, civilians CANNOT easily buy a full-automatic weapon; while they are legal (in most states), their purchase is expensive and requires time consuming paperwork.

Right, but Dorner, not being a "civilian", was able to obtain them relatively easily and with no background check.

Here is how he said he did it in his manifesto:
    "Unfortunately, are you aware that I obtained class III weapons (suppressors) without a background check thru NICS or DROS completely LEGALLY several times? I was able to use a trust account that I created on quicken will maker and a $10 notary charge at a mailbox etc. to obtain them legally. Granted, I am not a felon, nor have a DV misdemeanor conviction or active TRO against me on a NCIC file. I can buy any firearm I want, but should I be able to purchase these class III weapons (SBR’s, and suppressors) without a background check and just a $10 notary signature on a quicken will maker program? The answer is NO. I’m not even a resident of the state i purchased them in. Lock n Load just wanted money so they allow you to purchase class III weapons with just a notarized trust, military ID."

38. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

43   11:38am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

They make it sound like you can legally buy any gun w/o background check on some website and have it legally shipped to your front door.

Well, you can buy some guns, but this is kind of like they way they call all scary black rifles "assault weapons."

Are you in support of being able to buy any gun without first running a background check?

39. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    249 threads
    5,371 comments
    Davis, CA

44   12:01pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

it's always face-to-face (except CMP).

Gun show & private sales should be required to have a background check. Decade ago I was NRA member, IPSC competitor, and & staunch pro-RKBA and would never support that. But I've done a 180 on this, the grey areas and straw sale is a very real problem.

40. leo707

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    11 threads
    4,088 comments
    Oakland, CA
    leo707's website

45   2:51pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

But I've done a 180 on this, the grey areas and straw sale is a very real problem.

Straw sales are already illegal.

Yes, straw sales are illegal and a very real problem.

« First     « Previous comments    

Premium member thunderlips11 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 470 milliseconds to create.