Stay out of Florida

By Dan8267   Follow   Thu, 18 Apr 2013, 4:14pm   839 views   42 comments
In Boca Raton FL 33433   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/missing-ohio-family-rescued-dangerous-everglades-18892769

Just remember, if you come to Florida, you could be eaten by alligators or stuck in the swamp forever. Stay up in Ohio, New York, or wherever else you came from. If you have to vacation someplace warm, do so in Mexico. And stop buying houses that you'll only want to occupy for three months of the year. Alligators are attracted to such houses.

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 3-42 of 42     Last »     See most liked comments

1. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    999 threads
    12,175 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

3   6:46pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Florida

Mexico

You decide.

2. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    721 threads
    9,953 comments

4   7:06pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

Don't listen to Dan, our economy needs the mugging victims.

3. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    999 threads
    12,175 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

5   7:19pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Have I mentioned that Florida is the lightning capital of the world? Zeus will pop a cap in your ass if you come here.

4. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    107 threads
    4,082 comments

6   7:58pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

New Renter says

You are recommending Mexico as a safer alternative to Florida?

It was, until ATF gunwalking and the DEA "war on drugs" killed more than 50,000 people there. I have had only good experience with Mexico, even with what's been happening lately, but the American federal government decision to export our "drug war" to Mexico has brought tragic violence and tears to a fine country.

5. Ceffer

Follow
    Befriend
    13 threads
    2,823 comments
    Berkeley, CA

7   11:34pm Thu 18 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I hear that once you get past the electrified barbed wire on the main drags and the huge bug zapping machines and malathion, Florida is exactly like Skull Island from the King Kong movies.

6. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

8   2:00am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Ceffer says

I hear that once you get past the electrified barbed wire on the main drags and the huge bug zapping machines and malathion, Florida is exactly like Skull Island from the King Kong movies.

I think we found the lost land of AF!

7. thomaswong.1986

Follow
    Befriend
    27 threads
    6,131 comments

9   2:13am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

curious2 says

It was, until ATF gunwalking and the DEA "war on drugs" killed more than 50,000 people there. I have had only good experience with Mexico, even with what's been happening lately, but the American federal government decision to export our "drug war" to Mexico has brought tragic violence and tears to a fine country.

You mean how the various members of the drug cartel are killing each other over market share ? Which family will be number 1 controlling the drug trade. Just like the Columbians and Bolivians were shooting it out decades ago. And you point and blame the killings on the USA govt.. oh thats hot !

The drugs really have gone to your head... muchacho ! If you really feel anything over the 50,000 dead, might be a good idea to stop using drugs.

8. finehoe

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    481 comments
    Washington, DC

10   11:13am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

Was China such a wonderful place when everybody and his dog could smoke all the opium they wanted?

Ask the British.

9. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

11   11:23am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

finehoe says

IDDQD says

Was China such a wonderful place when everybody and his dog could smoke all the opium they wanted?

Ask the British.

I'm more interested on Chinese point of view on this matter.

Depends on if the person asked chinese or brit was getting a piece of the action.

10. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

12   11:31am Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

curious2 says

I keep hearing how the drug war is bad and how wonderful USA would would be if there were no restrictions on drugs sale and use. Was China such a wonderful place when everybody and his dog could smoke all the opium they wanted?

Which is worse- unlimited opium smokimg or a job at Foxconn?

11. finehoe

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    481 comments
    Washington, DC

13   12:11pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IDDQD says

I'm more interested on Chinese point of view on this matter.

Chinese officials wished to end the spread of opium, and confiscated supplies of opium from British traders. The British government objected to this seizure and used its military power to violently enforce redress.

12. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

14   12:28pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

New Renter says

Which is worse- unlimited opium smokimg or a job at Foxconn?

You can quit Foxconn.

And end up on the streets with no money, no friends, nothing. If quitting was a viable option don't you think people would have done that rather than commit scuicide?

13. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

15   12:30pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

IDDQD says

finehoe says

Chinese officials wished to end the spread of opium, and confiscated supplies of opium from British traders. The British government objected to this seizure and used its military power to violently enforce redress.

These are well-known facts but don't really answer the question whether it was such a happy place before their evil gubmint decided to start their version of "war on drugs". Were people happy and healthy, was the economy booming and arts and science flourishing with all this wonderful opium easily accessible?

Was it ever?

14. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    172 threads
    3,973 comments
    Premium

16   12:56pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike   Protected  

IDDQD says

Were people happy and healthy, was the economy booming and arts and science flourishing with all this wonderful opium easily accessible?

Massive explosion of arts and sciences in the 19th Century. Laudanum was a massive epidemic effecting countless people in the US and UK, which were countries rapidly industrializing and achieving new heights of artistic and scientific endeavors.

Everybody from Grandma to Clive to Coleridge to Poe to even Ben Franklin, used laudanum frequently.

15. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

17   2:58pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

New Renter says

He is definitely not exaggerating.

16. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    999 threads
    12,175 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

18   3:10pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

...my motivations in keeping people out of Florida might be a bit selfish. Too many people here already. Housing prices too high.

17. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

19   5:59pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

...my motivations in keeping people out of Florida might be a bit selfish. Too many people here already. Housing prices too high.

Buy a houseboat. At least that will float as the rest of the state sinks beneath the ocean.

18. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

20   6:01pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

JodyChunder says

New Renter says

He is definitely not exaggerating.

¬°Aye Caramba!

19. David Losh

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    9 threads
    1,546 comments
    Seattle, WA
    David Losh's website

21   6:28pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Housing prices too high.

My wife said she saw a condo for $60K in Miami, yes, no, maybe?

20. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

22   8:51pm Fri 19 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

David Losh says

Dan8267 says

Housing prices too high.

My wife said she saw a condo for $60K in Miami, yes, no, maybe?

Grossly overpriced!

21. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

23   12:21am Sat 20 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

I nearly got stabbed one night passing through Orlando Florida many years back while trying to buy a slice of pizza. I was in town exactly two hours.

22. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    999 threads
    12,175 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

24   9:04pm Mon 22 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

JodyChunder says

I nearly got stabbed one night passing through Orlando Florida many years back while trying to buy a slice of pizza. I was in town exactly two hours.

That is a new record. Last guy only made it to 1:47.

23. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

25   12:19am Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

It was a serious deal. He was wearing a T-shirt with a giant Darth Maul face on it and looked like a less well-fed version of Ernest Borgnine.

It's too bad about Florida, man. That place frightens me anymore. And I don't scare all that easily, Dan.

24. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    46 threads
    2,349 comments
    32 male

26   5:42am Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

If the rainbow people have multiplied so that they're spreading out from the forrest, into major population centers like Oklawaha, try somewhere nicer and more happening, like Ocala. Or Dunellon, its nice there on the river this time of year

25. errc

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    46 threads
    2,349 comments
    32 male

27   5:46am Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Whenever I hear people argue FOR the government restricting drug use, as it pertains to the "bad" "drugs" (opiates, pot, coke), I can't help but assume that their thougts are not their own. I just can't fathom that ones organic thoughts would lead them to speak in favor of a gun wielding police state imprisoning the populace for using NATURAL drugs, yet nary a peep about the tens of millions of people hooked on dangerous, addictive, ineffective drugs like (insert any of the top 15 prescribed fda approved bigphrma drugs)

26. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    721 threads
    9,953 comments

28   6:36am Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

errc says

yet nary a peep about the tens of millions of people hooked on dangerous, addictive, ineffective drugs like (insert any of the top 15 prescribed fda approved bigphrma drugs)

Especially when you consider that Pig Pharm drugs, are drugs you have to take for life, of face serious health consequences when you try to ween your self off.

27. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    355 threads
    9,733 comments

29   7:57am Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

EAT FACE!

28. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    355 threads
    9,733 comments

30   8:04am Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

FLORIDA FACES ARE FACES FINE FOR BITING!

29. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    999 threads
    12,175 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

31   11:08am Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

JodyChunder says

It's too bad about Florida, man. That place frightens me anymore. And I don't scare all that easily, Dan.

I think it's the incredible contrast between poverty on one side of the street and rich, gated communities on the other. All the have-nots see what they have not, and with the weather being good, they are all out on the street. At least up north crime takes a break during the cold winter.

30. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    3,665 comments

32   12:20pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Florida to me is a hole. Its basically where all of the retirees from NY, MA, NJ, and the other Northeastern states go to retire. Its also the state where seemingly every cop/chase TV show is filmed. Its also got some really crappy weather. Granted its warm in the winter, but then 99 degrees and 99% humidity for half the year. We lived in NC and every time we went to the beach I could hardly wait to go back home.

31. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    255 threads
    5,609 comments
    Davis, CA

33   1:27pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Florida went downhill after this went off the air:

32. upisdown

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,620 comments

34   1:30pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

Florida to me is a hole. Its basically where all of the retirees from NY, MA,
    NJ, and the other Northeastern states go to retire. Its also the state where
    seemingly every cop/chase TV show is filmed. Its also got some really crappy
    weather. Granted its warm in the winter, but then 99 degrees and 99% humidity
    for half the year. We lived in NC and every time we went to the beach I could
    hardly wait to go back home.

LOL, we always said that it was the destination for all the pretentious assholes that unforunately, move back sooner or later.

33. CaptainShuddup

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    721 threads
    9,953 comments

35   1:31pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

Its basically where all of the retirees from NY, MA, NJ, and the other Northeastern states go to retire.

I wish we still had those people, they were good people.

Miami Vice was the beginning of the end.
    It's when the tide turned from nice folks as mentioned above, quit coming, and scumbags, that believed what they saw on Miami vice was true, and the fruit was ripe for the Crooks to come pick.

Fuck I even miss the French Canadians at this point.

34. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    51 threads
    3,665 comments

36   3:02pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

To me, going into the "northerners moving to Florida" comment deeper, to me the reason I personally don't see this as exactly fantastic is because why do most of those people move there? Its because they spent 40-50 years in a cold-as-hell city on the Northeast and at that point all they're thinking about is getting out of there and moving someplace warm, and probably someplace close enough to see the kids and grandkids who stay up north. So Florida it is. Hence a bunch of people who moved there for no other reason than for the weather whom will identify as being New Yorkers or Bostonians for the rest of their lives, whom don't know anything or care to know anything about whatever regional characteristics or customs might have been in that area, and whom also aren't contributing as much to the economy in terms of being productive- because they are retired.

I'm not saying people shouldn't move from say- NY to FL. I lived in the NE for 2 years and god was the weather awful. I don't blame people for making that choice. But when that many people move for such topical reasons, the culture that tends to lead to is bland and uninteresting.

35. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

37   3:38pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

I think it's the incredible contrast between poverty on one side of the street and rich, gated communities on the other. All the have-nots see what they have not, and with the weather being good, they are all out on the street. At least up north crime takes a break during the cold winter.

I think you've got something there. The ol' High/Low theme. Too bad the evildoers can't figure out that robbing one another or people not that much better off than themselves is...stupid.

36. dublin hillz

Follow
    Befriend
    44 threads
    1,630 comments
    Dublin, CA

38   3:43pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

JodyChunder says

Dan8267 says

I think you've got something there. The ol' High/Low theme. Too bad the evildoers can't figure out that robbing one another or people not that much better off than themselves is...stupid.

I agree, however, many people in united states tend to have envy of those who are slightly better off instead of focusing attention at those who are multiple degrees better off

37. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

39   3:48pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

Florida to me is a hole. Its basically where all of the retirees from NY, MA, NJ, and the other Northeastern states go to retire.

Well, the affordability in that part of the country was once very very down to earth. I don't know about anymore. There are beautiful parts of the coastline there and some really lovely flora and fauna, if you're into that kinda thing (I yam). The summertime weather, well...you gotta know how to rock the seersucker and linen. Think Faulkner or Williams...

My problem with Florida, and especially Central FL, is that the people who vacation there seem to have this infantile notion that it's Disney World 24/7 and so they move there for perpetual fun-in-the-sun. When it doesn't pan out that way, you wind up with a lot of disgruntled motherfuckers walking around looking for someone's day to ruin.

Plus, I think when your engine for attracting people to your city is volleyball in February and year-round boredom relief, you just have to know you're going to be attracting a certain base element.

38. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,886 comments
    San Jose, CA

40   4:20pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

edvard2 says

to me the reason I personally don't see this as exactly fantastic is because why do most of those people move there?

They moved there for the same reasons the ones from the midwest come to scottsdale AZ in the winter:

1. to drive slow as hell in front of you, when you are in a hurry.

2. (florida version of snowbird) to talk in an obnoxious voice about how, "thatz naught how weee do it in new yaork"

3. to golf

4. to sit at the coffee shops forever, so you can't get a seat when you go.

thats about it!

And to be stung by scorpions. Painful as hell but cheaper than botox

39. upisdown

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    1,620 comments

41   5:10pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

robertoaribas says

1. to drive slow as hell in front of you, when you are in a hurry.
    (florida version of snowbird) to talk in an obnoxious voice about how, "thatz
    naught how weee do it in new yaork"
    3. to golf
    4. to sit at the coffee
    shops forever, so you can't get a seat when you go.

You lucky folks, and they usually have to dump RE when they leave too. That's a plus for having to put up with their spoiled baby boomer asses!

At least when they move back, their incessant medical spending brings federal money back to our area to offest the overall loss we suffer by supporting the south and red states.

40. JodyChunder

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    32 threads
    1,776 comments
    Victorville, CA

42   6:17pm Tue 23 Apr 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yep...

Long long walks
    On the beach
    Lovely times...

« First     « Previous comments    

Dan8267 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 195 milliseconds to create.