10 Majors w/ Highest Unemployment Rates

By Dan8267   Follow   Sun, 21 Jul 2013, 6:06pm   858 views   19 comments
In Boca Raton FL 33433   Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Most of the top majors are all psych majors. If that's not enough to convince you not to major in psych, check out this guy...

Viewing Comments 1-19 of 19     Last »     See most liked comments

1. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    107 threads
    4,066 comments

1   6:12pm Sun 21 Jul 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

Ugh. Instead of suffering through the dull videos, read the actual report on WSJ.

2. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    354 threads
    9,704 comments

2   6:16pm Sun 21 Jul 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

Wow, MBAs actually expect anyone to give a fuck. Die, asshole!

3. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,854 comments
    San Jose, CA

3   6:52pm Sun 21 Jul 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

Dude should have gone to pharmacy school.

4. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    354 threads
    9,704 comments

4   1:41am Mon 22 Jul 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

New Renter says

Sure, but would a self respecting pharma school accept an MBA? Would a self-respecting truck driver buy a blow job from an MBA at a truck stop men's room, for that matter?

5. drudometkin

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    70 comments

5   2:16am Mon 22 Jul 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Your mom goes to college

6. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    354 threads
    9,704 comments

6   7:12am Mon 22 Jul 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike (1)  

You mom swims out to meet MBA ships.

7. New Renter

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    34 threads
    5,854 comments
    San Jose, CA

7   8:31am Mon 22 Jul 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

New Renter says

Sure, but would a self respecting pharma school accept an MBA? Would a self-respecting truck driver buy a blow job from an MBA at a truck stop men's room, for that matter?

I meant instead of the MBA... God help him now.

8. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

8   5:53am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I'm not sure about those stats from the WSJ. Meteorology & Atmospheric science is said to have a low unemployment rate and high salary. Not sure I buy that. When I got out of school in that field, there was fierce competition for jobs. Starting salaries were only 30k, if you were lucky. Maybe they're going into the Air Force.

I wonder if those stats take into account people who "gave up" and switched to another profession. After all, I'm technically employed and making a good salary, but only after switching careers.

9. finehoe

Follow
    Befriend
    21 threads
    481 comments
    Washington, DC

9   9:32am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

?w=580&h=288

Women in the United States now earn 62 percent of associate’s degrees, 57 percent of bachelor’s degrees, 60 percent of master’s degrees, and 52 percent of doctorates. College admissions officers were at first baffled, then concerned, and finally panicked over the dearth of male applicants. If male enrollment falls to 40 percent or below, female students begin to flee. Officials at schools at or near the tipping point (American University, Boston University, Brandeis University, New York University, the University of Georgia, and the University of North Carolina, to name only a few) are helplessly watching as their campuses become like retirement villages, with a surfeit of women competing for a handful of surviving men.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/09/how-to-make-school-better-for-boys/279635/

10. mell

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    262 threads
    3,254 comments
    San Francisco, CA

10   9:35am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Most of the top majors are all psych majors. If that's not enough to convince you not to major in psych,

Psych is a pseudo-science, very much like economics ;)

11. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    997 threads
    12,094 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

11   10:05am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

finehoe says

Women in the United States now earn 62 percent of associate’s degrees, 57 percent of bachelor’s degrees, 60 percent of master’s degrees, and 52 percent of doctorates.

It doesn't matter if you have a bachelor's degree of a Ph.D. What matters is in what field is that degree. A B.S. in mathematics is worth more than a Ph.D. in history.

12. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

12   10:10am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

IMO, much of academia is a racket. It's earning a lot of credentials for the sake of earning credentials, with no real benefit to society. A bunch of people congratulating themselves on how smart they are, and little more.

I don't think that's true for STEM and medicine, but otherwise...

13. Moderate Infidel

Follow
    Befriend
    3 threads
    712 comments

13   12:26pm Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

freak80 says

IMO, much of academia is a racket. It's earning a lot of credentials for the sake of earning credentials, with no real benefit to society. A bunch of people congratulating themselves on how smart they are, and little more.

Except what does memorizing facts in short term memory have to do with being smart?

14. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

14   12:59pm Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Moderate Infidel says

Except what does memorizing facts in short term memory have to do with being smart?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean that academia over-emphasizes test-taking ability at the expense of other kinds of intellectual ability? If that's what you mean, I tend to agree.

15. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    997 threads
    12,094 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

15   1:31pm Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

freak80 says

People don't go to college to brag about how smart they are. People go to college because

1. If they don't, they cannot enter the skilled workforce even if they have mad skills.

2. To delay adulthood

3. To party and get laid.

There are cheaper ways to accomplish #2 and #3. But #1 forces your hand.

16. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

16   2:16pm Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

People don't go to college to brag about how smart they are.

I was thinking more of the professors and graduate students doing endless post-docs.

17. Quigley

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    44 threads
    1,660 comments
    Huntington Beach, CA

17   3:00pm Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

Psychology is a DANGEROUS pseudo-science, that right now has over a million children on drugs for being bipolar, a disorder whose very definition precludes it from being valid for children. The pharmaceutical industry is busy making billions from pushing drugs to overworked parents who just want junior to shut up and give them some peace. Sure these kids are hyperactive and may not pay attention, but should psychiatrists be subscribing them mass doses of drugs that slow them down, make them fat, and cause reproductive harm when they grow up? How about some parenting classes instead?

18. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    107 threads
    4,066 comments

18   3:24pm Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

freak80 says

STEM and medicine

This goes back to Rin's point, especially in medicine. The field is worth studying, and it is theoretically possible to accomplish a great deal of good, but in practice the environment is driven by financial incentives as Quigley noted above. PhRMA has a huge influence in most American medical schools, part of why Americans overpay more than anywhere else on earth to die sooner than people in dozens of other countries. (PhRMA also had a huge influence in enacting Obamacare, so we can expect more where that came from.)

19. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,520 comments
    Corning, NY

19   4:35pm Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

SSRI anti-depressants are dangerous mind-altering drugs. I have been on them in the past and they only made my anxiety and depression worse. Maybe they work for some people, but there is evidence that they work no better than a placebo. Thank you Big Pharma.

Dan8267 is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 127 milliseconds to create.