Child prodigy Carson Huey-You starts freshman year at Texas Christian University

By John Bailo   Follow   Wed, 28 Aug 2013, 6:45pm   537 views   11 comments
In Kent WA 98030   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/child-prodigy-carson-huey-you-11-starts-freshman-year-college-article-1.1439634

At the tender age of 11, Carson Huey-You likes video games, movies, wrestling with his younger brother - and quantum physics.

He's a pint-sized prodigy who just started his freshman year at Texas Christian University.

He's the youngest college undergrad in the school's history.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/child-prodigy-carson-huey-you-11-starts-freshman-year-college-article-1.1439634#ixzz2dJoBXXKl

Viewing Comments 1-11 of 11     Last »     See most liked comments

1. curious2

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    117 threads
    4,463 comments

1   6:48pm Wed 28 Aug 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I saw a documentary on this.

2. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,062 threads
    13,599 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

2   7:09pm Wed 28 Aug 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

It's been my observation that being a child prodigy makes a person less happy with life in our society. He'll miss out on all the good parts of growing up and the assholes in college will pick on him. At least that's the behavior towards prodigies I saw back when I was in college. I'm glad I'm not one of them.

3. Rin

Follow
    Befriend
    54 threads
    3,175 comments

3   7:01am Thu 29 Aug 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Here's the story of child prodigy, Bill Siddis of MA ...

http://www.sidis.net/BioWilliamJamesSidis.htm

If one's a prodigy, it's best to be from a rich family and thus, insulated from the BS in life.

All and all, the work world is full of posers and MBA-ologists, not even above average/smart persons, never mind prodigies.

And academics... can you say grant writing tournaments?

4. Rin

Follow
    Befriend
    54 threads
    3,175 comments

4   7:24am Thu 29 Aug 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

::If one's a prodigy, it's best to be from a rich family

On my note above, this is exactly my plan.

I'm going to become an adult prodigy, once I retire from this hedge fund work, and attend medical school. I've been studying mnemonic systems which will help me remember large volumes of information, as well as nutrition and so forth, which will allow me to contribute without having to be a man of the system.

5. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,062 threads
    13,599 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

5   8:10am Thu 29 Aug 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Rin says

If one's a prodigy, it's best to be from a rich family and thus, insulated from the BS in life.

That works for non-prodigies as well.

6. Rin

Follow
    Befriend
    54 threads
    3,175 comments

6   9:26am Thu 29 Aug 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Rin says

That works for non-prodigies as well.

Yes, but that would deprive the middle class wanna socialites from forming a cadre of MBA-logists.

At least if the Trust Fund babies were capped by their creative or intellectual IQ, then there's a hope that society could advance on account of having another Darwin or Maxwell.

7. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

7   5:44am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Why is he going to a religious university? Why isn't he going to MIT where his scientific talents will be appreciated?

8. Rin

Follow
    Befriend
    54 threads
    3,175 comments

8   6:44am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

freak80 says

Why is he going to a religious university? Why isn't he going to MIT where his scientific talents will be appreciated?

I'd say... why doesn't he have a private tutor? Freshman/Sophomore college survey science courses are for the birds. If he's not in frat or a dorm, he'd have close to zero conversations with his classmates.

Plus, if he's a so-called prodigy, he should be tutored and then, be taking upper level undergrad and graduate level courses, ala carte in a special student program, and then, apply for a doctorate at a Georgia Tech, MIT, or Caltech. He can take a BS from one of those Univ of Maryland or Penn State online examination programs if he needs a prereq of a BS degree.

Once again, stupid middle class thinking parents. If I were rich, my kid would never get harassed by middle class 18 year olds at a local college.

9. Rin

Follow
    Befriend
    54 threads
    3,175 comments

9   8:17am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Sorry that I'm railing on this kid's family but in reality, sending a kid into a cauldron full of young adults is just plain idiotic, even if the mother accompanies him as a bodyguard.

Really, the average freshman at a college is an immature moron, who probably belongs more at a legal brothel (see Amsterdam) than a university.

Next, the way a school breaks up its survey courses, once again, insults the intelligence of a child prodigy, as many fields of study overlap across dept lines. Thus, by providing him with departmental cross sections of reading, private tutoring, etc, he can become a Renaissance man of learning and not some soon-to-be loser, corporate drone. Much of this academic content is now available online.

And finally, the only requirement to later attend a graduate school are the undergraduate prerequisites and some bachelor's degree. All of this can be accomplished from ages 11 to 17, without needing to subject the kid to a college setting. Yes, he can in effect have the equivalent of several majors: Classical Piano, Chinese, Biology, History, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Political Science, Economics but simply show to the world, one bachelor's degree in let's say Statistics/Applied Math, so that he's not pigeonholed, prior to starting graduate school.

10. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

10   8:20am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Rin says

Really, the average freshman at a college is an immature moron, who probably belongs more at a legal brothel (see Amsterdam) than a university.

Good point. ;-)

11. HEY YOU

Follow
    Befriend (3)
    899 threads
    2,290 comments

11   8:33am Tue 17 Sep 2013   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I've always wondered what's the difference in the brain of prodigies and some of us Dumasses.

John Bailo is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 96 milliseconds to create.