« previous   misc   next »

Aerial photos of abandoned mansions i Nevada

By tovarichpeter   Follow   Fri, 13 Sep 2013, 6:49am PDT   1,088 views   17 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2013/09/michael-light-aerial-photos/

From swimming-pooled suburbs in Phoenix to razed hills awaiting their luxury homes in Nevada, Michael Light has been documenting the western U.S.’s unique topography from the air for the past decade.

Comments 1-17 of 17     Last »

smaulgld   Fri, 13 Sep 2013, 7:23am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

All part of the recovery

curious2   Fri, 13 Sep 2013, 9:06am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (5)   Dislike     Comment 2

The photos remind me of crop circles. I wonder if this is what Stonehenge was for: somebody was building a McMansion on spec, and then the market collapsed.

smaulgld   Fri, 13 Sep 2013, 9:53am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 3

curious2 says

The photos remind me of crop circles. I wonder if this is what Stonehenge was for: somebody was building a McMansion on spec, and then the market collapsed.

Stone hedge was part of a stimulus package

Blurtman   Fri, 13 Sep 2013, 11:43am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

Silly humans.

HEY YOU   Fri, 13 Sep 2013, 3:07pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

How long will it be before we see mobile homes, RVs & tents on these vacant lots?

Dan8267   Fri, 13 Sep 2013, 3:35pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 6

curious2 says

Nah, Stonehenge was built well enough that it has stood for thousands of years. A McMansion would fall apart in twenty if neglected.

Strategic Renter   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 12:53am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

Dan8267 says

curious2 says

Nah, Stonehenge was built well enough that it has stood for thousands of years. A McMansion would fall apart in twenty if neglected.

Not correct From 1901 to 1964, the majority of the stone circle was restored in a series of makeovers which have left it, in the words of one archaeologist, as 'a product of the 20th century heritage industry

Call it Crazy   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 1:21am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 8

Some of those photos almost look fake....

Was reading the comments, these jumped out to me:

..."McMansion in the middle of the desert, surrounded by other McMansions feet away. I am not sure I understand the appeal."

..."I have never understood why anyone would spend maga-bucks on a mansion that's so close to a neighbor you can hear them fart. I need a lot more space than that."

If you have that type of money to build a house like that, why the hell do you want to live so close that your neighbor can piss on your house from inside his window???

Vicente   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 2:14am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 9

How many have squatters living in them?

dodgerfanjohn   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 4:59am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

Call it Crazy says

Some of those photos almost look fake....

Was reading the comments, these jumped out to me:

..."McMansion in the middle of the desert, surrounded by other McMansions feet away. I am not sure I understand the appeal."

..."I have never understood why anyone would spend maga-bucks on a mansion that's so close to a neighbor you can hear them fart. I need a lot more space than that."

If you have that type of money to build a house like that, why the hell do you want to live so close that your neighbor can piss on your house from inside his window???

Self loathing 1%'ers who despise that they urinated on the unwashed masses and therefore require to be pee'd on themselves. Not unlike the CEOs who pay fetish hookers to feminize them and have their scrotums crushed by said hookers in 5 inch heels.

sbh   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 10:12am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 11

smaulgld says

All part of the recovery

I get your take on this. But you note these are 2007 pics. I wonder exactly what they look like now. If many of those empty scarified lots have new construction going up then, yeah, part of the recovery you don't believe in.

sbh   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 10:17am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

Nope, many were pretty recent: 2011. Still, I'll see what I can dredge up online.

sbh   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 10:28am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 13

Hey Smaulgld, check it out: from the current website pitch.

http://www.luxuryhomesofhenderson.com/luxury-neighborhoods/ascaya

freak80   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 10:30am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

That's nothing. China has whole cities that are empty.

sbh   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 10:38am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 15

freak80 says

That's nothing. China has whole cities that are empty.

Yep. The Chinese really know how to leg-hump "job creators."

freak80   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 10:44am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 16

sbh says

Yep. The Chinese really know how to leg-hump "job creators."

I guess it's because they don't have a military large enough to start endless wars with.

sbh   Sat, 14 Sep 2013, 10:59am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 17

freak80 says

I guess it's because they don't have a military large enough to start endless wars with.

They haven't adopted our version of "white collar welfare." ASSHOLES!

tovarichpeter is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net