« previous   misc   next »

2362 Torrey Pines Rd, La Jolla, CA 92037

By Patrick   Follow   Thu, 30 Dec 2010, 4:00pm PST   1,025 views   5 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Comments 1-5 of 5     Last »

drvan   Wed, 18 May 2011, 12:58pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

As per NYT rent vs. buy calculator I would break even after 3 years? what is wrong with this NYT calculator?

drvan   Wed, 18 May 2011, 1:14pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

The link to this calculator below
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/business/buy-rent-calculator.html

Nomograph   Wed, 18 May 2011, 1:23pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 3

That's not a particularly nice property. It's smack dab in the middle of one of the most busy arteries in San Diego, and becomes a logjam during the summer. I believe the HOA's for those condos are around 450 per month as I remember.

It is close to the beach though...

ih8alameda2   Thu, 19 May 2011, 8:17am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 4

drvan says

As per NYT rent vs. buy calculator I would break even after 3 years? what is wrong with this NYT calculator?

without knowing any figures or what you put in, i'm more inclined to ask, what are wrong with your figures? =)

Shawn   Thu, 19 May 2011, 8:34am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 5

The NY Times calculator probably assigns a high % of annual appreciation by default. Try changing it to something realistic, like a rate of depreciation. But good luck, I've seen calculators out there that won't even accept the possibility of a negative appreciation rate.

Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net