« previous   misc   next »

Brits who bought in Spain

By elliemae   Follow   Sun, 20 Feb 2011, 9:31pm PST   1,970 views   20 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I guess that Spain is (was) the place to move if you wanted a lavish lifestyle on a budget. But the crash is there and it affects those people who were living the high life a few years ago....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359029/Spains-villa-values-HALVED-UK-immigrants-afford-come-home.html

lurking   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 4:53am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 1

PockyClipsNow says

Here in LA I know of a mentally retarded guy who lives in a brand new 2 bed lux apt funded by taxpayers, he cant work. I live in a crappy old 1 bedroom and work everyday. nice system we got here.

I doubt that the entire "lux apt" as you call it is funded by the taxpayer. Maybe he's a section 8 tenant and there are a few units set aside, or his family has set up a special needs trust for him and he pays the full rent charged. Several cities in California such as SF, Oakland, Berkley, Pasadena, L.A., Monrovia, etc., require that a certain percentage of the units be set aside for low or very low income housing in order to get the permits to put up new construction. Some of those units have to be handicap friendly inside as well with lower counters, larger hallways, bathrooms, etc.

As Bigsby sarcastically says........How shoking that society helps someone with a severe disability.

thunderlips11   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 6:37am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 2

... have seen their home values go down the drain.

bubblesitter   Sun, 20 Feb 2011, 11:23pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

I guess they need some wealthy Chindians to move in. :)

bubblesitter   Sun, 20 Feb 2011, 11:32pm PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

Oh, did I forget to mention Spain has the highest UE rate in Europe? Whopping 20%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union#Unemployment

dunnross   Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 12:45am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

bubblesitter says

Oh, did I forget to mention Spain has the highest UE rate in Europe? Whopping 20%.

That's efficient price discovery for you! Free market at work. Not like what we have here, with all the govt artificial support of the housing market.

bubblesitter   Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 1:06am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

dunnross says

bubblesitter says

That’s efficient price discovery for you! Free market at work. Not like what we have here, with all the govt artificial support of the housing market.

Well, this can go a long way to make our bulls better understand the economics(if they wanna)!

dunnross   Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 1:31am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

bubblesitter says

dunnross says

bubblesitter says

That’s efficient price discovery for you! Free market at work. Not like what we have here, with all the govt artificial support of the housing market.

Well, this can go a long way to make our bulls better understand the economics(if they wanna)!

Yes, and there were plenty of aristocrats in Spain too. Not only Brits were buying. I know lots of Russian oligarchs bought there too, with plenty of petro-dollars falling out of their pockets. But, in the end, even that didn't stop the price from crashing.

justme   Wed, 4 Apr 2012, 12:29pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 8

More on Spain today from patrick.net links, expecting more than 12% drop in prices in 2012.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-01/mortgage-column.html

xenogear3   Wed, 4 Apr 2012, 1:57pm PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 9

This is what you get for speaking different language.

India and China don't speak Spanish.
Also Spain doesn't give green card if you buy a house.

PockyClipsNow   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 2:59am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

I LOVE this quote from the brit lady:

‘As for help from the government there is nothing. If I was in England I would get help with the council tax and pension credits, but because I am in Spain there is nothing. They don’t hand out anything for free here - it’s terribly depressing.’

I should move to spain! It seems like rent/house prices are not supported by thier governemnt giving all poor and/or liars free money.

Here in LA I know of a mentally retarded guy who lives in a brand new 2 bed lux apt funded by taxpayers, he cant work. I live in a crappy old 1 bedroom and work everyday. nice system we got here.

Bigsby   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 4:22am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 11

PockyClipsNow says

I LOVE this quote from the brit lady:

‘As for help from the government there is nothing. If I was in England I would get help with the council tax and pension credits, but because I am in Spain there is nothing. They don’t hand out anything for free here - it’s terribly depressing.’

I should move to spain! It seems like rent/house prices are not supported by thier governemnt giving all poor and/or liars free money.

Wow, someone with a severe disability gets help. Absolutely shocking. What is the world coming to?

edvard2   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 5:43am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

I wonder if Spain for Brits is like Florida for retired northerners?

bubblesitter   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 6:21am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 13

edvard2 says

I wonder if Spain for Brits is like Florida for retired northerners?

I believe weather a big plus for Spain.

freak80   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 6:40am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

And the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain...

PockyClipsNow   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 7:06am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 15

Look its just shocking that i make 100k a year and s-8 tenants live better than me, ive seen it many times! He should be in a group home with a rented room or something right?

StoutFiles   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 7:26am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 16

PockyClipsNow says

Look its just shocking that i make 100k a year and s-8 tenants live better than me, ive seen it many times! He should be in a group home with a rented room or something right?

Probably. But then again, I would approve of a world like The Giver where the elderly are "released" at 60 and society is a well-oiled cog.

Life isn't fair, oh well.

PockyClipsNow   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 7:43am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 17

Life isnt fair but I'm free to leave the US, move to rural spain, and rent a giant McHacienda for super cheap and live large while not paying anymore US taxes! eat it welfare state!

Dan8267   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 7:57am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 18

This is exactly what's happening in Florida right now. Foreign buyers who will temporarily drive up prices and then get stuck.

bubblesitter   Thu, 5 Apr 2012, 10:48am PDT   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike     Comment 19

Dan8267 says

This is exactly what's happening in Florida right now. Foreign buyers who will temporarily drive up prices and then get stuck.

Sounds familiar. Who caught that falling knife?

zzyzzx   Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 4:49am PST   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 20

bubblesitter says

That's because they elected their version of Obama a couple of years before we did.

elliemae is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net