Brits who bought in Spain

By elliemae   Follow   Mon, 21 Feb 2011, 5:31am   1,713 views   20 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I guess that Spain is (was) the place to move if you wanted a lavish lifestyle on a budget. But the crash is there and it affects those people who were living the high life a few years ago....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1359029/Spains-villa-values-HALVED-UK-immigrants-afford-come-home.html

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. lurking

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    130 comments

1   11:53am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

PockyClipsNow says

Here in LA I know of a mentally retarded guy who lives in a brand new 2 bed lux apt funded by taxpayers, he cant work. I live in a crappy old 1 bedroom and work everyday. nice system we got here.

I doubt that the entire "lux apt" as you call it is funded by the taxpayer. Maybe he's a section 8 tenant and there are a few units set aside, or his family has set up a special needs trust for him and he pays the full rent charged. Several cities in California such as SF, Oakland, Berkley, Pasadena, L.A., Monrovia, etc., require that a certain percentage of the units be set aside for low or very low income housing in order to get the permits to put up new construction. Some of those units have to be handicap friendly inside as well with lower counters, larger hallways, bathrooms, etc.

As Bigsby sarcastically says........How shoking that society helps someone with a severe disability.

2. thunderlips11

Follow
    Befriend (13)
    241 threads
    4,957 comments
    Premium

2   1:37pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

... have seen their home values go down the drain.

3. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    3,106 comments

3   7:23am Mon 21 Feb 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I guess they need some wealthy Chindians to move in. :)

4. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    3,106 comments

4   7:32am Mon 21 Feb 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Oh, did I forget to mention Spain has the highest UE rate in Europe? Whopping 20%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_the_European_Union#Unemployment

5. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

5   8:45am Mon 21 Feb 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bubblesitter says

Oh, did I forget to mention Spain has the highest UE rate in Europe? Whopping 20%.

That's efficient price discovery for you! Free market at work. Not like what we have here, with all the govt artificial support of the housing market.

6. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    3,106 comments

6   9:06am Mon 21 Feb 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

dunnross says

bubblesitter says

That’s efficient price discovery for you! Free market at work. Not like what we have here, with all the govt artificial support of the housing market.

Well, this can go a long way to make our bulls better understand the economics(if they wanna)!

7. dunnross

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    1,669 comments
    San Jose, CA
    Premium

7   9:31am Mon 21 Feb 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bubblesitter says

dunnross says

bubblesitter says

That’s efficient price discovery for you! Free market at work. Not like what we have here, with all the govt artificial support of the housing market.

Well, this can go a long way to make our bulls better understand the economics(if they wanna)!

Yes, and there were plenty of aristocrats in Spain too. Not only Brits were buying. I know lots of Russian oligarchs bought there too, with plenty of petro-dollars falling out of their pockets. But, in the end, even that didn't stop the price from crashing.

8. justme

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    38 threads
    4,049 comments

8   7:29pm Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

More on Spain today from patrick.net links, expecting more than 12% drop in prices in 2012.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-01/mortgage-column.html

9. xenogear3

Follow
    Befriend
    11 threads
    438 comments

9   8:57pm Wed 4 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This is what you get for speaking different language.

India and China don't speak Spanish.
    Also Spain doesn't give green card if you buy a house.

10. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

10   9:59am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I LOVE this quote from the brit lady:

‘As for help from the government there is nothing. If I was in England I would get help with the council tax and pension credits, but because I am in Spain there is nothing. They don’t hand out anything for free here - it’s terribly depressing.’

I should move to spain! It seems like rent/house prices are not supported by thier governemnt giving all poor and/or liars free money.

Here in LA I know of a mentally retarded guy who lives in a brand new 2 bed lux apt funded by taxpayers, he cant work. I live in a crappy old 1 bedroom and work everyday. nice system we got here.

11. Bigsby

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    4,590 comments
    Monterey, CA

11   11:22am Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

PockyClipsNow says

I LOVE this quote from the brit lady:

‘As for help from the government there is nothing. If I was in England I would get help with the council tax and pension credits, but because I am in Spain there is nothing. They don’t hand out anything for free here - it’s terribly depressing.’

I should move to spain! It seems like rent/house prices are not supported by thier governemnt giving all poor and/or liars free money.

Wow, someone with a severe disability gets help. Absolutely shocking. What is the world coming to?

12. edvard2

Follow
    Befriend
    53 threads
    3,807 comments

12   12:43pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I wonder if Spain for Brits is like Florida for retired northerners?

13. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    3,106 comments

13   1:21pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

edvard2 says

I wonder if Spain for Brits is like Florida for retired northerners?

I believe weather a big plus for Spain.

14. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

14   1:40pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

And the rain in spain falls mainly on the plain...

15. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

15   2:06pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Look its just shocking that i make 100k a year and s-8 tenants live better than me, ive seen it many times! He should be in a group home with a rented room or something right?

16. StoutFiles

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    24 threads
    557 comments

16   2:26pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

PockyClipsNow says

Look its just shocking that i make 100k a year and s-8 tenants live better than me, ive seen it many times! He should be in a group home with a rented room or something right?

Probably. But then again, I would approve of a world like The Giver where the elderly are "released" at 60 and society is a well-oiled cog.

Life isn't fair, oh well.

17. PockyClipsNow

Follow
    Befriend
    19 threads
    1,582 comments
    Los Angeles, CA

17   2:43pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Life isnt fair but I'm free to leave the US, move to rural spain, and rent a giant McHacienda for super cheap and live large while not paying anymore US taxes! eat it welfare state!

18. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,049 threads
    13,135 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

18   2:57pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

This is exactly what's happening in Florida right now. Foreign buyers who will temporarily drive up prices and then get stuck.

19. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    3,106 comments

19   5:48pm Thu 5 Apr 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

This is exactly what's happening in Florida right now. Foreign buyers who will temporarily drive up prices and then get stuck.

Sounds familiar. Who caught that falling knife?

20. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    825 threads
    7,061 comments
    Baltimore, MD

20   12:49pm Mon 21 Feb 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

bubblesitter says

That's because they elected their version of Obama a couple of years before we did.

Premium member elliemae is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 367 milliseconds to create.