Woman found Not Guilty of Abuse

By elliemae   Follow   Sun, 5 Jun 2011, 12:35pm   539 views   2 comments
Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-elderly-homicide-20110602,0,7583841.story

This woman, Maria, cared for her great aunt "Concha" as she died. Concha's weight dropped to 35 pounds, and she was covered with bedsores so deep you could see her bones. She died in intractable pain.

The article doesn't say whether Concha had Medicare, but she probably did. If not, she was eligible for Medicaid. Concha begged Maria not to put her in a nursing home, so Maria cared for this woman on her own. She obviously wasn't aware that there were some programs that could help her care for Concha at home.

This is sad, and unavoidable. With help from a home hospice program, Concha could have been more comfortable and Maria wouldn't have been alone in her mission to provide end-of-life care to her great aunt. Instead, she was forced to undergo this trial alone, and then a legal trial afterward.

Viewing Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »     See most liked comments

1. illustrateth

Follow
    Befriend
    29 threads
    54 comments
    San Leandro, CA
    illustrateth's website

1   1:58pm Sun 5 Jun 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Sounds like her family also pressured her into a job that she wasn't necessarily mature enough for.

2. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    471 threads
    7,833 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

2   2:33pm Sun 5 Jun 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Yea - but I tell people all the time that the reason we (healthcare workers) can do our job is because we get to go home. If you're the primary caregiver for a family member, you never get to leave. It takes many people... I don't believe that this girl deserved to be punished; she deserved more from the system that's out there.

Premium member elliemae is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 56 milliseconds to create.