Work hard and get nothing is the new Way Forward

By tts   Follow   Mon, 4 Jul 2011, 2:23am   3,322 views   38 comments
Watch (1)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Perfect example of the BS anti labor practices that are becoming widespread today:

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2011/03/25/unpaid-jobs-the-new-normal/

Unpaid jobs: The new normal?

With nearly 14 million unemployed workers in America, many have gotten so desperate that they're willing to work for free. While some businesses are wary of the legal risks and supervision such an arrangement might require, companies that have used free workers say it can pay off when done right.

"People who work for free are far hungrier than anybody who has a salary, so they're going to outperform, they're going to try to please, they're going to be creative," says Kelly Fallis, chief executive of Remote Stylist, a Toronto and New York-based startup that provides Web-based interior design services. "From a cost savings perspective, to get something off the ground, it's huge. Especially if you're a small business."

In the last three years, Fallis has used about 50 unpaid interns for duties in marketing, editorial, advertising, sales, account management and public relations. She's convinced it's the wave of the future in human resources. "Ten years from now, this is going to be the norm," she says.
"I'm learning a lot and I feel really good about it. I'm happy. I feel relevant. I'm not making any money, so it's tough, but I feel it's setting me up for a career," Johnson says. "I only have $1.50 left in my checking account right now but I'm living with my boyfriend and he's been really good about supporting me."
Those who join Remote Stylist, whether they are students or out-of-work 20- or 30-somethings, must agree to a four-month run and sign a hiring contract. She asks interns to commit 30 hours a week; she has been burned in the past by people who were trying to juggle a paid job with their commitment to Remote Stylist.

Believe it or not, the competition for some unpaid gigs can grow intense. John Lovejoy, managing director of multimedia fundraising company Nomadic Nation, received 300 responses for an editor position and 700 cameraman applications after only one week of advertising a project to drive from Germany to Cambodia in plastic cars. Not only were the positions unpaid, but successful candidates had to pay their own expenses.

One editor and two cameramen ended up quitting before the end of the trek due to rough conditions and 16-hour workdays. In retrospect, Lovejoy says, "I would screen a little bit better and make sure they understood that this wasn't a vacation."

Crystal Green, owner of Tallahassee-based event planning firm Your Social Butterfly, has had mixed results with unpaid staffers who didn't take their responsibilities seriously. She's even had to retrace the missteps of unpaid staffers and apologize to alienated business partners.

,"It's really hard as a single entrepreneur to babysit these people who need to learn. They're not making any money, so you have to be very patient," Green says.

None of these employers said they were concerned that they were violating the law -- whether or not they actually are -- but most get what they pay for, raising the question of whether they'd be better off just going with the time-honored tradition of paying employees.

"It's better to have one decently paid person than nine unpaid people who are making it so difficult because they're slacking off or they're difficult to manage," Green says.

Whole article reads like a goddamn Onion satire piece but its real world and its happening now. It'll be kind've interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years as stuff like this forces a race to the bottom in wages in educated or semi skilled fields that used to justify the college costs. Make no mistake: these people are essentially un paid scabs, they're not even slaves since at least slaves got a patch of dirt to sleep on and some food. When reality finally sets in and they realize that not only will they never get their dream job but that they are the disenfranchised neo-slaves of the future things will probably get ugly.

Or maybe not. How would you people react if your job was suddenly taken away by a pool of disposable desperate no pay scabs or if they started bringing them in to do the menial stuff and then dropping hints that "you need to justify your position...these guys will do your job for half the pay easy" and firing those that didn't "get with the program". I know I'd start looking for a job elsewhere the same day I saw that coming down.

For those of you who still spout the usual status quo supporting BS, productivity has sky rocketed these last few years in what is essentially a recession for the non rich:

but the non rich aren't seeing a dime of any of those gains, its all going to the rich:

Most Liked Comments

Sort by time instead  
  1. iwog

Follow
    Befriend (46)
    386 threads
    20,333 comments
    47 male
    Lafayette, CA
    Premium

1   10:37am Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike   Protected  

Tenouncetrout says

When you guys BITCH about Corporate profits, you do realize you are bitching about your 401K profits don’t you?????

Everyone knows that 401k profits are more important than wages, paying the rent, eating.............

2. HousingWatcher

Follow
    Befriend
    285 threads
    1,760 comments

2   2:16pm Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I see ads for unpaid jobs on Craigslist every day. I should take one of these jobs, and screw up so badly that the company is forced into bankruptcy. I will get an internship at a law firm and "accidentally" send everything to the opposing counsel.

3. uffthefluff

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    32 comments
    Chicago, IL

3   1:51pm Tue 5 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

I'm sure that having a salary of zero means these slaves can easily afford a 250k condo.

4. Armando148

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    52 comments

4   5:04pm Wed 6 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Interesting article, it's definately a race to the bottom from here.

First it was the get your highschool diploma and you will be set. Next it was get your associates and you will be set and then came the bachelor's and so on.

Now it's work for us for free and you might someday in the future get a good job. I will add that this could be a good idea for a high school grad to learn something and perhaps leverage it into something that pays in the future.

A college debt laden grad? Not a chance, in order to make the college investment pay off one must work right away. Time is money lads! Especially when burdened by high debt!

5. Robber Baron Elite Scum

Follow
    Befriend (2)
    111 threads
    947 comments
    Roslyn, NY

5   5:07pm Wed 6 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Armando148 says

First it was the get your highschool diploma and you will be set. Next it was get your associates and you will be set and then came the bachelor's and so on.

Exactly!

Next it's work as a slave and then you will be a respectable and "educated" member of society.

6. Armando148

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    52 comments

6   7:19pm Wed 6 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

mdovell says

Regarding rent vouchers technically Walmart is allowed to bank in Mexico..but only a minority of homes in the country are actually mortgaged (I think less than 5%)

I expect the coporate rent and food vouchers to start to occur here in the U.S in the next decade or so, it's actually a beautiful sysem from the corporate point of view, you can lock in your employees to a product/service you have a direct financial stake in. The voucher will be key because it will give the illusion of choice.

This is just one of the many facets I see coming with the current trend of corporate dogma here in the United States, soon to known as the United Shithole to more prosperous nations. Make no mistake about it we are to blame for this and this can no longer be stopped.......

7. APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch

Follow
    Befriend (27)
    408 threads
    11,567 comments

7   7:47pm Wed 6 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

In a few years, new grads will have to *pay* to be able to say on their resume that their duties included lifting the boss's schlong so that the interns could clean his gonads with their tongues in the morning meeting.

8. CaffeineAddict

Follow
    Befriend
    6 threads
    74 comments

8   2:27pm Sun 10 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

There's competition for 16 hr workday unpaid jobs?

9. Done!

Follow
    Befriend (4)
    159 threads
    2,826 comments

9   8:41am Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

When you guys BITCH about Corporate profits, you do realize you are bitching about your 401K profits don't you?????

The beatings will continue until morale improves and people start making money from their own merits and accord, and stop looking to be a rider on other endeavors and efforts to put your self in poor house by raising the cost of everything because every body wants a piece of the action. Mostly like the Wall Street ponzi scheme.

The more we invest the more they squeeze the workers the crappier the quality of goods and services get, and the richer the high level executives grow. You guys are feeding the pariah that are nibbling you from the outside in.
    The more you feed them the greater your standard of living falls, and the mightier they grow. Sure you guys think you're investing for retirement. And you are, you are investing in "THEIR" retirement.

By the time this economy rebounds we will see 7K DOW again, that's a certain promise.

10. tts

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    525 comments

10   9:17am Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

401K's aren't doing all that hot bub, I don't know who gave you the idea that they actually allow the workers to get a chunk of corp profits but that usually isn't true.

11. tts

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    525 comments

11   9:58am Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Those interns are desperate fools being taken advantage of by employers who don't give a shit, so to paint this as some triumph of capitalism pricing the labor markets is sociopathic in the extreme. What is next, you gonna argue that indentured servitude and no holds barred slave labor are perfectly fair and valid?

And people are already paying employers for the really high demand internships right now. Vouge was selling them for $40k a pop.

Given the high expense and "uselessness" of college degrees in preparing students for an actual job saying that people should pay into some kind of journeyman system on top of that is pretty awful. It'd be better to revamp the colleges so that they're cheaper and actually taught people what they needed to know to do a job once they get out.

12. tts

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    525 comments

12   3:01pm Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

HousingWatcher says

I see ads for unpaid jobs on Craigslist every day. I should take one of these jobs, and screw up so badly that the company is forced into bankruptcy. I will get an internship at a law firm and “accidentally” send everything to the opposing counsel.

A god among men/women has spoken, it is too weep for joy.

13. PasadenaNative

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    28 threads
    288 comments
    South Pasadena, CA

13   3:24pm Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

@tts,
    Please, put down that gun!

14. tts

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    525 comments

14   3:44pm Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

NO! ITS MINE YUO CANNOT HAEV IT!!11

15. PasadenaNative

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    28 threads
    288 comments
    South Pasadena, CA

15   4:14pm Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

But you must! You must!! ;-)

16. bubblesitter

Follow
    Befriend (5)
    10 threads
    3,106 comments

16   7:10pm Mon 4 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Despite this some people on this forum think that home prices have already hit the bottom. :)

17. ih8alameda2

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    34 comments

17   2:53pm Tue 5 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

yeah but it just means that those people are not in the house buying pool...even if unemployment is at 9%, that's a much smaller number when you're talking about the total population or house buyers.

while i agree that housing is still way overpriced when viewed in light of logic and financial reasoning, i think we've created way too many rich people with free money (at least in the bay) that short of a catastrophe, what the avg joe is able to afford is meaningless.

18. tts

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    525 comments

18   3:55pm Tue 5 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

E-man says

tts says

willing to work for free.

One has no one to blame but oneself. No one puts a gun on one's head and ask one to work for free. It's time to man up and accept one's responsibility. Don't blame it on the rich or the society.

You're a fool if you don't understand that these people don't really have any choice, just the illusion of one. More and more people are living out a real world version of Catch-22, which was unheard of just a few years ago.

More and more the "choice" being offered by society to people is to work for free to get "experience" and a good referral even with a college degree or to not even get a shot at getting a decent bottom rung job. WTF else you expect everyone to do, work at McD's or Walmart? In most places in the country you can't support yourself much less a family with a wage like that and there is nothing to grow into with a job like that, its dead end.

This is going to cause a race to the bottom for college level and/or semi skilled jobs since people will have to compete with free. Even if the free labor is half assed businesses will still use it to pressure wage earners to do more for less, as they have always done, and as they're doing right now.

And that "bootstraps" BS never works for the vast overwhelmingly majority of people, you might as well tell people to make a living by playing the lotto.

19. tts

Follow
    Befriend
    2 threads
    525 comments

19   8:17am Wed 6 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

mdovell says

Having said that though we've always had a form of cheap labor in the country going back 500+ years.

There is a reason why that is heavily discouraged now both legally and socially you know. Besides the obvious hit to thier education it also creates another form of a race to the bottom in wages by creating an excess of very cheap labor. If you make the kids work the cost of living will adjust gradually, just like it has over the years to dual income earner family where both parents instead of just one work. What happens is you get a short term boost in the economy from the added labor but long term the costs actually go up, and unless you get your hands on lots more credit or start making the kids take 2nd jobs and such everyone actually ends up poorer.

mdovell says

I'm no feminist but it can easily be illustrated that women were largely used for cheap labor domestically and in todays modern times we have illegal aliens.

Which is all a very bad thing correct? Even ignoring the economic race to the bottom in the labor market it starts for moral reasons alone this sort of stuff should be abhorrent to everyone.

mdovell says

But it was continent on then going to half pay and then going on full pay over the course of 90 days.

We already have the Probationary Period in the work place, there is no need for free labor as a "try before you buy" sort of scenario for the employers. Especially not when they keep paying less for more work.

thunderlips11 says

If labor is free, imagine how cheap the goods and services will be...

How can you afford anything when you have no wage or your wages have been eroded via competition from no pay scabs so that you can barely scrape by?

What you think your employer will pay you more if you work harder? Did you not notice the charts show productivity rising while profits went to the top during a recession and after it that I posted in the OP? You know that has been happing for over 30 years right?

Why the hell do people keep falling for variants of the Just World Fallacy? Especially in favor of employers that keep screwing people over?

20. FortWayne

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    166 threads
    5,456 comments

20   9:50am Wed 6 Jul 2011   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

bubblesitter says

Despite this some people on this forum think that home prices have already hit the bottom. )

Its only the group who is trying desperately to unload their failed housing bets.

tts is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 167 milliseconds to create.