When McDonald's is closed...

By zzyzzx on April 29, 2016 5:30pm   6 comments, latest 1 hour ago

Will Trump beat Hillary (if she is the nominee?)

By Blurtman on April 27, 2016 5:53pm   68 comments, latest 42 minutes ago

Trump will blast Hillary's backing of job destroying trade deals, which will appeal to a good deal of the Rust Belt electorate. Hillary has a loyal following of women with a grudge man blaming career women, and uninformed African Americans. She also carries the close minded reflexively liberal and PC crowd. But can Trump bring on board enough of the anti-Hillary Democrat leaning independents and progressive Democrats, or Democrats of any stripe that just will not vote for a neocon warmonger with bizarre large bottom hiding clothes. Grab the popcorn.

DESPERATION!!! Cruz names Carly as his V.P. choice..

By Ironman on April 27, 2016 8:27pm  #politics   37 comments, latest 3 hours ago

Time to eject Ted, it's over.... You hit the iceberg two weeks ago.. #politics

Primaries, Tuesday April 26 - Current Polls - Trump Sweeps all Five

By Ironman on April 24, 2016 6:52pm  #politics   55 comments, latest 2 days ago

From RCP Repubs: CT: Trump: 49.0 Kasich: 27.0 Cruz: 18.0 Trump +22.0 PA: Trump: 44.5 Cruz: 25.0 Kasich: 23.5 Trump +19.5 MD: Trump: 41.0 Kasich: 26.3 Cruz: 24.5 Trump +14.7 DE: Trump: 55 Kasich:18 Cruz:15 Trump +37 RI: Trump: 38 Kasich: 25 Cruz: 14 Trump +13 Dems: CT: Clinton: 50.0 Sanders: 42.5 Clinton +7.5 PA: Clinton: 53.0 Sanders: 38.2 Clinton +14.8 MD: Clinton: 57.0 Sanders: 35.3 Clinton +21.7 DE: Clinton: 45 Sanders: 38 Clinton +7 RI: Clinton: 43 Sanders: 34 Clinton +9 If these numbers hold up through Tuesday, Cruz and Sanders could be in trouble... #politics

Slash (the / character) is now allowed in patrick.net post titles like this one

By Patrick on April 24, 2016 12:45am   1 comment, latest 6 days ago

The fix was to alter the nginx.conf from this: rewrite ^/([^/]+)$ /index.php?title=$1 last; # specific post to this: rewrite ^/(.+)$ /index.php?title=$1 last; # specific post Let me know if this introduced any new bugs. The idea is that if a specific file exists on the server, it will be used: if (-f $request_filename) { # if file exists (like /js/bootstrap.min.js) then use it, don't rewrite break; } If the file does not exist, we redirect to /index.php and give it the characters after the slash to look up as a post title. To be honest, I'm still mystified as to why there was a bug in the first place. The slash in any post title is url-encoded to %2f (mouse...

A Very Kind Man Who Gave Me A Job Almost 20 Years Ago Is Now A Facebook Friend

By ohomen171 on April 24, 2016 2:20pm   posted 6 days ago

Everyone Facebook is amazing. On September 11, 1996 I arrived in San Jose, California on a Greyhound bus. I checked in at the Plaza Hotel near the bus station. I desperately needed a job. When you were 52 years of age, employment was hard to find. I was low on cash and found that bus drivers would let you ride for free if you were broke. I got on one bus and plead poverty. The driver was this very nice but very tough African-American lady. She told me that there was no excuse for me to be in these circumstances. She told me that she was going to give me a ride to the Veteran's Center in downtown San Jose...

Koch brother backs Hillary

By Blurtman on April 24, 2016 3:44pm   25 comments, latest 4 days ago

Multi-billionaire kingmaker trashes the Republican presidential field as 'terrible role models' and suggests Hillary will make a better president Republican donor Charles Koch said he could not back Trump or Cruz He called them 'terrible role models' and said he was sick of their bickering Koch added that he was against Cruz's ISIS policy and Trump's Muslim ban Said Trump's vow to register Muslims was 'reminiscent of Nazi Germany' Multi-billionaire said it's 'possible' that Clinton could be a better president http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new

Rise in CO2 has Greened Planet Earth and has been a Positive

By Ironman on April 26, 2016 2:50am  #politics  #globalwarming   31 comments, latest 4 days ago

So much for the Alarmists saying that CO2 is going to harm the planet. Carbon dioxide emissions from industrial society have driven a huge growth in trees and other plants. A new study says that if the extra green leaves prompted by rising CO2 levels were laid in a carpet, it would cover twice the continental USA. Climate sceptics argue the findings show that the extra CO2 is actually benefiting the planet. The new study is published in the journal Nature Climate Change by a team of 32 authors from 24 institutions in eight countries. It is called Greening of the Earth and its Drivers, and it is based on data from the Modis and AVHRR instruments which have been...

Actually, your boss cannot restrict your right to free speech

By Patrick on April 27, 2016 3:33am   20 comments, latest 1 day ago

http://www.businessinsider.com The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that a New Jersey police officer who was demoted after his boss mistakenly believed he was involved in a political campaign can still bring a lawsuit alleging a violation of free speech rights. The 6-2 ruling said Jeffrey Heffernan could file a First Amendment claim against the city of Paterson, New Jersey, even if he wasn't actually taking sides in the local mayoral race. Heffernan claimed he was a victim of retaliation after other officers saw him picking up a campaign sign and talking to campaign workers. It turns out Heffernan was really picking up...

How low is the bar, really? US Senate Candidates from CA

By turtledove on April 28, 2016 3:04am   18 comments, latest 2 days ago

I just received my California "Official Voter Information Guide." So, I'm thumbing through the statements of the senate candidates and one really stands out above all the others. The statement of Democratic candidate, Ms. Massie Munroe. Her photo appears normal. Perhaps even attractive. Nothing unusual there. She says, "My candidacy represents the United States Constitution, the only contract between the people of America and America's government 'Of the people, By the people, For the people' to be restored and strengthened in America and extended to the UN as a contract between all people of our world through US leadership and diplomacy. International bankers, multinational corporate leaders, militaries and police must all 100% obey, comply with the Constitution of the US/UN...

Last week it was 60% and this week it's 40%

By Tenpoundbass on April 28, 2016 2:53pm   8 comments, latest 1 day ago

Next week it will less than 20% of the Delegates needed for Trump to secure the nomination and avoid a contested convention. Funny how math works like that. Though last week, the MSM establishment was making it sound like Trump would be at a constant 60% uphill battle to get to the number. When as he knocks them down the bar keeps getting lower and lower. And Booger eating Ted gets shut out.

Establishment Stunned As Trump Gains Wealthy, Well-Educated Voters

By Ironman on April 28, 2016 8:27pm  #politics  #trump   6 comments, latest 1 day ago

Wealthy, well-educated voters helped carry Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump to victory in this week’s East Coast primaries, a demographic the famously blunt-spoken billionaire had struggled to attract in the past. His sweep of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, Connecticut and Rhode Island on Tuesday included wins in some of the richest and best-educated counties in the country - like Fairfield County, Connecticut, and Newport County, Rhode Island - and added to victories in his more traditional strongholds of white working-class neighborhoods. Exit polls from Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Maryland showed Trump winning about half of Republican voters with college degrees, and over half of Republican voters making more than $100,000 a year. “On its face, it is hard to believe he’d be...

What Do You Shout Into the Swollen Fat Face of an Oozing Bag of Shit Like This?

By DieBankOfAmericaPhukkingDie on April 29, 2016 12:00am   24 comments, latest 1 day ago

I'd start with "FAT FUCK! FAT FUCK!" shouted within 4 inches of her ear. Suggestions?

Kasich concedes Indiana to Cruz so Cruz can have a

By Tenpoundbass on April 25, 2016 1:59pm   9 comments, latest 5 days ago

The Establishment creeps really thinks they Own votes. People liked Kasich for what ever reason. I don't think those that liked Kasich will see an analog in Cruz. I predict most of Kasich's voters will now stay home, and the ones that defect. I'm here to put it to you now, that Trump will realize more defectors from Kasich that Cruz will. We need election overhaul. If you drop out, you name get's scratched off the ballot. If you're on the national ballot you're on all states ballots(in a national election) and if drop out of any state's races, then you're out of the whole national process. Final rule Candidates and their PACS, nor party is allowed to contact regional...

I MISSED IT! A REAL WAR ON CHRISTMAS! CAN'T WAIT TO SHIT IN A MANGER IN SOMALIA

By DieBankOfAmericaPhukkingDie on April 24, 2016 2:09am   7 comments, latest 5 days ago

http://www.express.co.uk/news/ This is fantastic! Has anyone notified Bill O'Reilly?

Bernie Sanders: Im losing to Hillary because poor people dont vote

By Ironman on April 25, 2016 6:39pm  #politics  #cluelessBernie   3 comments, latest 4 days ago

Bernie Sanders knows just who to blame for his losses to Hillary Clinton: poor people. Asked by Chuck Todd of NBC’s “Meet the Press” why he’s behind in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination, Sanders replied, “Well, because poor people don’t vote.” He added, “That’s just a fact. That’s a sad reality of American society.” “If we can significantly increase voter turnout so that low-income people and working people and young people participated in the political process…this country would be radically transformed,” he said. http://nypost.com/2016/04/24/b #politics #cluelessBernie

Why is the Hillary crowd so anti-Trump?

By thunderlips11 on April 25, 2016 6:29pm   29 comments, latest 3 days ago

If Trump is so weak, why beat on him constantly - you ought to be encouraging Republicans to vote for Trump in the Primaries. And, if Trump wins the nominees but the GOP Insiders choose another candidate, Hillary is a shoo-in; plus, the Republican Party won't recover from the anti-voter shenanigans for quite a while. Kasich, Romney, Ryan, or Cruz is a guaranteed win for Hillary. I can't see any reason why a Democratic voter would be opposed to Trump, unless they secretly believe that Trump is a great candidate.

Endgame of Paper Economies

By NuttBoxer on April 26, 2016 7:29pm  #investing  #economics   92 comments, latest 7 hours ago

#investing #economics Interview with former central banker who worked at the Fed, IMF, and Citibank. Good reality check that stands in contrasts to the paper economists proclaiming their assets will never lose value, and prices will rise ad infinitum. http://the-moneychanger.com/ar

Left Outside the Social-Justice Movement's Small Tent

By georgeliberte on April 26, 2016 1:12pm   posted 4 days ago

http://www.theatlantic.com/pol A professor of cognitive science argues that the world is nothing like the one we experience through our senses. As we go about our daily lives, we tend to assume that our perceptions—sights, sounds, textures, tastes—are an accurate portrayal of the real world. Sure, when we stop and think about it—or when we find ourselves fooled by a perceptual illusion—we realize with a jolt that what we perceive is never the world directly, but rather our brain’s best guess at what that world is like, a kind of internal simulation of an external reality. Still, we bank on the fact...

Melissa Click: Mizzou fired me because I am white!!

By lostand confused on April 26, 2016 1:51pm   12 comments, latest 4 days ago

http://thefederalist.com/2016/ Remember Melissa Click, the University of Missouri professor who lost her job after assaulting a student on camera and asking for some “muscle” to help get rid of him? According to Click, her dismissal from Mizzou wasn’t because she attacked a student in a pathetic bid to shut down free speech. Nope. Click says she was fired for being white.

CRA and Countrywide

By Entitlemented on April 27, 2016 12:41am   15 comments, latest 2 days ago

http://www.businessinsider.com When we discuss the role of the Community Reinvestment Act and other fair lending rules in contributing to lax lending standards, people bent on exonerating the CRA often point out that many of the questionable loans were made by non-depository mortgage companies not covered by the CRA. Barry Ritholtz has been a prominent critic of the theory that the CRA has some culpability for lax lending.

The coming of the Smombies

By mmmarvel on April 27, 2016 12:33pm   6 comments, latest 3 days ago

What is a Smombie?? It is a portmanteau of "smartphone" and "zombies" used to describe people walking and staring at their devices. In other words, people who can't pull their heads up out of their smart phones. Some cities (not presently the US) have started embedding traffic lights in the pavement so that (hopefully) someone who is looking down at their smartphone will notice the traffic light before it's too late. My goodness, have we really stooped this low (no pun intended)? I guess so, here is a link to the article. https://www.washingtonpost.com

The Greatest New Term for SJWs ever

By thunderlips11 on April 28, 2016 2:20am  #Trigglypuff   14 comments, latest 2 days ago

IHL is stale. Here's the new term: #Trigglypuff At :37. Puffy and Triggered!

After Protests, Yale University Gets Rid Of Master Title

By Blurtman on April 28, 2016 5:20pm   6 comments, latest 1 day ago

Yale University announced Wednesday that it would eliminate the title of “master” for the leaders of its residential colleges and instead will call them, “heads of college,” according to The New York Times. That’s a pretty big step forward for students who have been protesting to bring awareness to racist elements of the campus’ legacy. http://thinkprogress.org/educa In a related move, the term "masturbation" has been banned, and replaced by the more PC term "head stroking."

Science Friday: Human Anatomy and General Biology

By Dan8267 on April 29, 2016 5:58pm   3 comments, latest 19 hours ago

I found an awesome website and YouTube channel with excellent videos of various systems of biology particularly in the human body. These videos are organized into subject areas. The videos can be found at http://armandoh.org/subjects/ The YouTube channel is here. I suggest watching the videos in order for a particular subject. One of the videos I watched and like a lot is about the neuron and is shown below. It is part of the Neurology series.

Great new book-Black Flags by Joby Warrick

By bob2356 on April 29, 2016 7:30pm   posted 1 day ago

Far and away the best book on the Iraq insurgency and how it led to the rise of ISIS I've read so far. The amount of research and depth of research is amazing. For GWB fans I must sadly say the book extensively documents how truly incompetent the entire GWB administration was. Simply pathetic that a semi literate jordanian high school dropout was able to effortlessly execute far better strategy than the entire us government for 6 years. Obama didn't distinguish himself with strategic thinking either, but in his defence he was picking up the pieces from 6 years of disaster. It's very doubtful anything short of nuclear war or a wwII level commitment of troops that anything could have...

It it just me who's crazy?

By Houseless but not homeless on April 30, 2016 5:09pm   12 comments, latest 1 hour ago

Hi Guys!! It's been a while since I've come around although I pop in from time to time. I've noticed the format has changed and there are no longer articles related to housing as before. Why is that? Patrick, did you give up? Or did you move on to bigger and better things? Anyway, the reason that I decided to post this thread is the insanity I have come upon in my recent research involving housing in the Bay area. Take a look at this link that I stumbled upon. http://sfist.com/tags/apartmen Now at first I thought it was some type of joke, a satire site if you will, yet as I probed deeper I sadly realized it was not. Renting...

Animal rights activists gone wild.

By lostand confused on April 24, 2016 1:29pm   27 comments, latest 4 days ago

Ok, this poor , poor farmer is in Long Island , NY living on a measely 15 acres and managed to raise his family on that. AR activists go commando on him . I mean wtf?? The crazy lady who started the protests claims the farmer doesn't need the meat from the cow-he can just go to Whole foods and buy hormone free beef!!! Does the crazy broad know that a cow was butchered to get the meat to Whole foods?? What is wrong with people. These haters are just like the crazy leftie safe space protestors -I wonder how many of them are vegans-they think buying meat from Whole foods is great??!! http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2016

Christian VS Muslim

By Dan8267 on April 24, 2016 4:40pm   7 comments, latest 5 days ago

American Christian VS Arabic Muslim

Zoos turn to using animal law enforcement

By Blurtman on April 24, 2016 4:21pm   2 comments, latest 6 days ago

Zoo: Tiger Attacked, Killed Employee Who Didn't Follow Rules A Florida zoo official says an employee who was killed by a tiger earlier this month didn't follow zoo policy. Palm Beach Zoo CEO Andrew Aiken said in a statement posted Friday on Facebook that zoo policy prohibits zookeepers from entering an enclosure to which a tiger has access. Stacey Konwiser, 38, was killed April 15 when a male Malayan tiger attacked her in the enclosure known as the night house, where tigers sleep and are fed. Aiken said Konwiser entered the part of the night house "after it was clearly designated as accessible by a tiger." Aiken said five investigations are underway into the incident. The zoo's Facebook page says...

Rich kids will benefit more from FREE college - Sorry Bernie....

By Ironman on April 24, 2016 7:05pm  #politics  #bernie   11 comments, latest 5 days ago

(Sad... Another example of Bernie not understanding his campaign promises and their economic effects...) Free college benefits some students more than others and it’s probably not the ones you think, a new analysis suggests. Families from the top half of the income distribution would reap 24% more than their less-wealthy peers, under a free college plan like the one Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders is proposing, according to an analysis published this week on the Brookings Institution website by Matthew Chingos, a senior fellow at the Urban Institute. Both are Washington, D.C.-based nonpartisan think tanks. - - That’s because wealthier students are more likely to attend more expensive in-state public colleges, such as their four-year flagship schools, Chingos found....

VA Gov. McAuliffe restores voting rights for 206,000 Ex-felons

By Ironman on April 24, 2016 9:39pm  #politics  #bendover   10 comments, latest 5 days ago

Must.Buy.Votes.For.Hillary.At. Gov. Terry McAuliffe signed an executive order Friday restoring the voting rights of 206,000 ex-felons, a sweeping action the governor said was aimed largely at rectifying Virginia’s “long and sad history” of suppressing African-American voting power. The governor’s order applies to all violent and nonviolent felons who had finished their sentence and supervised release as of Friday, even those who have not applied for a restoration of rights. Previous Virginia governors have restored rights on an individual basis, but none has done it for an entire category of offenders with one pen stroke. The move, coming in a presidential election year, outraged Republicans who accused McAuliffe of abusing his power to help longtime ally Hillary Clinton win a battleground...

Why Bernie Sanders FREE college plan doesn't make sense

By Ironman on April 25, 2016 1:53am  #politics  #FeelTheBerningSensation   6 comments, latest 3 hours ago

Two professors at the College of William and Mary in Virginia analyzed his proposal and concluded it’s economically and politically unrealistic. Robert Archibald and David Feldman teach in the economics department. They are the authors of “Why Does College Cost So Much?” and here offer their opinion on his proposal. Tuition-free public education is music to the ears of families who see state university sticker prices continually rising more rapidly than their income. Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (Vt.) has tapped that sentiment with his proposal to use federal funds to make public college education free for in-state students. His Senate bill 1373 makes for great sound bites on the campaign trail, but there are good reasons why none of...

Small business survey finds concern over economy

By tvgnus on April 25, 2016 4:03pm   1 comment, latest 4 days ago

http://www.centralvalleybusine Owners remain confident in their own firms •  They wonder if another shoe will drop in the economy Small business owners are confident in their business, however theyre less certain about the national economy than they were last year, according to a survey by U.S. Bank. (See below for methodology notes.

Rotten Apple: Stock plunges 8% on earnings, revenue miss

By Ironman on April 26, 2016 10:49pm  #investing  #economics   21 comments, latest 1 day ago

Apple reported quarterly earnings and revenue that missed analysts' estimates on Tuesday, and its guidance for the current quarter also fell shy of expectations. The tech giant said it saw fiscal second-quarter earnings of $1.90 per diluted share on $50.56 billion in revenue. Wall Street expected Apple to report earnings of about $2 a share on $51.97 billion in revenue, according to a consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters. That revenue figure was a roughly 13 percent decline against $58.01 billion in the comparable year-ago period — representing the first year-over-year quarterly sales drop since 2003. Shares in the company fell more than 8 percent in after-hours trading, erasing more than $46 billion in market cap. That after-hours loss is greater...

Everybody racist.

By Blurtman on April 26, 2016 2:46pm   5 comments, latest 2 days ago

"I hate that beaner," one text reads, "but I think the nig is worse." "Indian ppl are disgusting," proclaims another. "Burn down walgreens and kill the bums," a third message states. These and numerous other racist and homophobic text messages were allegedly sent by a San Francisco police officer at the center of an ongoing scandal that is the most recent disturbing revelation for the beleaguered SFPD. CNN has exclusively obtained a list of dozens of offensive texts sent to and from Officer Jason Lai. http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/26/

Debt is necessary to overpay for crap one doesn't need.

By HEY YOU on April 26, 2016 2:51pm   9 comments, latest 3 days ago

http://www.mckinsey.com/global Global debt has grown by $57 trillion and no major economy has decreased its debt-to-GDP ratio since 2007. High government debt in advanced economies, mounting household debt, and the rapid rise of China’s debt are areas of potential concern.

Robert E Lee school to be renamed to...

By zzyzzx on April 26, 2016 5:23pm   5 comments, latest 3 days ago

http://www.washingtonexaminer. School district votes to rename Robert E. Lee Elementary, public votes Donald J. Trump Elementary to replace it Last month, the Austin Independent School District voted to rename Robert E. Lee Elementary School and asked the public for their input. Of the 228 names suggested, Donald J. Trump Elementary was at the top of the list with 45 nominations. Many wanted to keep the name, and 47 nominations were for Robert E. Lee or slight variations. Some also suggested Leadership & Excellence in Education, which has the initials of LEE. Two nominations were made for The Elementary School Formerly Known as Robert E. Lee. The Adolf Hitler School for Friendship and Tolerance made the top 10 list with eight...

degradation of running times with age

By Patrick on April 27, 2016 2:40pm  #running  #aging  #graphing   5 comments, latest 3 days ago

the ny times had an interesting article about exactly how much running times degrade with age: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04 so i decided to plot it from their data: not that bad really. at least not until age 80. #running #aging #graphing

Trump delivers a blow to Hillary's massive underbelly

By Blurtman on April 27, 2016 5:57pm   1 comment, latest 3 days ago

Trump calls American foreign policy under Obama 'a disaster U.S. actions in Iraq, Syria, and Libya "have helped unleash" the Islamic State and its terrorist allies, Trump said. While "we're getting out of the nation-building business," Trump said he would help other nations, especially those threatened by radical Islam, but only if they also contribute to the effort and "appreciate" the American commitment. "I will never send our finest into battle unless necessary," Trump said at one point, "I mean absolutely necessary" American foreign policy is also too "predictable," Trump said: "We have to be unpredictable," http://www.usatoday.com/story/

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best comments   about   free bumper sticker  

please recommend patrick.net to your friends