Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 29 Jul 2014 in Realtor Prevalance Rises And Falls With White Population, marcus said:

CaptainShuddup says

HydroCabron says

Way to make it about race.

HydroCabron says

Realtor Prevalance Rises And Falls With White Population

Funny, from a guy who writes the most difficult to interpret comments. You could have just quoted the whole paragraph which is only two lines long.

HydroCabron says

Way to make it about race. Here's a nice little thread bashing people of a certain skin color, and you have to bring in race: political correctness strikes again.

• On 29 Jul 2014 in Fed Buys 71% of US Treasuries! We Have to Abandon Free Market Principles...., marcus said:

iwog says

Is it going to do a little bit? Yes. Is it going to make a difference against other greater forces? No.

In the very short run, this can almost always be said about monetary policy, and yet look at the way the markets react to it.

Keep in mind this QE business is an international phenomenon. It's not just us. Europe and Japan do a lot of it too.

• On 29 Jul 2014 in Fed Buys 71% of US Treasuries! We Have to Abandon Free Market Principles...., marcus said:

Maybe what you're saying is that the demand is so high that changes in new supply have little impact. But then just say that without the big deal about how individuals make investment decisions.

IF that's true, that demand is so high, then investors could also just as easily accept the higher price for the treasuries, as choose another type of bond which is going up in relative price right along with bonds.

iwog says

That isn't the way investing works

I didn't say anything about the way investing works, I was specifically speaking to pricing of US treasury bonds, and the fact that supply is one factor in the pricing, as is the perception that the Fed is a big buyer of new supply.

Other factors may or may not outweigh these factors, but the ways that individuals make investment decisions as to what type of bond to buy ? That has always been there when prices were moving drastically in either direction, so I don't know what you think you're talking about.

iwog says

If the fed buys a treasury that someone else wanted, they will simply buy some other form of structured debt. During 2013 the fed was purchasing about $45 billion per month.

So changes in supply don't change prices as long as there is substitute investments available. Then why does anyone buy US treasuries at all, afterall the yield isn't as good as other debt of similar maturity. Don't answer - I'm just showing you the silliness of what you're saying.

iwog says

This means two things:

1. Fed purchases of US debt are a rounding error on total bond trading.

Wow Iwog. Do you really think that new supply compared to trading volume tells you anything ? Trading volume can even go up when new supply is drastically decreasing. But all else being equal in such a scenario, prices would be going up.

iwog says

but the global bond market is $100 trillion

This includes bonds of all types from all countries. Yes, even in just US treasuries alone, the amount of bonds issued are mostly replacing bonds from other years that are maturing, but the people and entities invested in those are just rolling over into new securities too, just like the issuers on the sell side.

Look, for a long time, nobody has denied the influence of monetary policy on equity markets and on LT bond markets. In fact a lot of money managers have done very well, giving this more weight in their decisions than any other single factor.

With QE, we've entered a whole new realm of monetary tweaking for these times when interest rates are simply too low to lower further.

I don't claim to know how this plays out, but dismissing it as irrelevant seems to be a mistake in my opinion.

iwog says

This is little more than life support for a broken economy.

IT doesn't need to be much more than "life support for a broken economy" to be a pretty big deal.

• On 29 Jul 2014 in If you see a LEO in need of help,would you help him?, marcus said:

How can you be a cop if you're THAT afraid of a dog ?

THere must be something else to the story. In the first couple sentences it says:

"According to the young girl’s mother, Nicole Echlin, their 1-year-old dog Apollo escaped from the house on Friday. The Hometown Police Department was arriving just as Echlin and her daughter were arriving home."

And then it tells of how the cop walked right up to the dog and shot it

THe dog must have been scaring people in the neighborhood, or somebody reported something extreme about it.

Not to defend the stupid and cowardly cop. Just observing that some key piece of info is missing from the story. The cop should definitely be fired in any case. OR maybe have his gun taken away and put him in charge of parking tickets.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Fed Buys 71% of US Treasuries! We Have to Abandon Free Market Principles...., marcus said:

Heraclitusstudent says

Maybe growth is petering out now

maybe, but there are many other factors such as the dollar versus other currencies and interest rates (bond yields) in other countries.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Bloomberg Reporter captured by Ukrainian Army: Hilarity Ensues, marcus said:

Sounds far less scary than if this kind of thinkg were to happen to a journalist in Iraq, or Afghanistan.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Fed Buys 71% of US Treasuries! We Have to Abandon Free Market Principles...., marcus said:

Unlikely that it's done nothing. Take away 71% of the supply. You think maybe that had no affect on price (i.e. interest rates) ?

• On 28 Jul 2014 in What is up with the rash of trashy posts lately?, marcus said:

Peter P says

To end bigotry, we must stop talking about tolerance and start celebrating differences.

For me, celebrating differences makes sense for different cultures, for the other gender, for other age groups or professions, ideally even for differences of opinion (I'm not always good at that if I think the other opinion is based on ignorance or hate).

But tolerance is the right word for me regarding homosexuality. It's a sign of a problem of mine maybe, but tolerating,.. that is not objecting to their existence, or to their practices and believing that they have rights regarding marriage, and the right to not be discriminated against, is as far as I can go.

I'm not going to celebrate their gayness. But that's just me.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in What is up with the rash of trashy posts lately?, marcus said:

Buster says

Turtledove, you are one of the last remaining Republicans who does not fully support or stay silent, in the face of 'racism, sexism, or homophobia'. Good for you.

No she's just not an extremist or a troll like many of the right wingers that chime in around here. moderate republicans still exist. Ironically they are the ones who are republicans for reasons having to do with the actual republican policy differences (mostly taxes).

They'e less likely to be republican because of the three Gs (guns, gays and god), or for twisted nonsensical reasons that come from listening to too much Rush Limbaugh.

But they tolerate that nonsense (the Fort Wayne's and CaptainSUs of the world) because they know it gets republicans elected.

Unfortunately for them, now the lunatics they were just tolerating, run the party.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Liberals Explode Over Straight White Guy Festival In Ohio, marcus said:

epitaph says

I think it's a valid point this sign makes if people really wanted equality, it would be for everybody, not just people who are deemed oppressed in society.

What the....

That's not the point the sign makes at all. It's just a joke, probably made by some less than tolerant people. IT is a little funny. But your comment makes no sense at all.

When they were fighting for women's right to vote, should they have celebrated men's right to vote ? Would that get the message accross ?

When they fought for equal treatment for blacks should they have celebrated that whites are allowed to sit on the back of the bus ?

What the hell are you talking about ?

The gay pride parades, which admittedly I'm not into (truth be told I have my issues - i.e. I'm slightly homophobic - that is have some issues with a friend that turned out to be gay - but this is a personal problem of mine), but yeah the "pride" parades are all about coming out and being in the open about it rather than in the closet. They are part of a "coming out" movement that's been going on for many decades.

Again, my point being that you make absolutely no sense at all.

"if people really wanted equality, it would be for everybody, not just people who are deemed oppressed in society"

There are plenty of festivals and fairs etc that are for everyone. No shortage of these at all.

The Original Bankster says

WE WILL NOT GO BACK INTO THE SHADOWS!!!!!

http://www.sfweekly.com/sanfrancisco/folsom-street-fair-2013-nsfw/Slideshow?oid=2731277

Please this is so wrong.

You're forcing the other right wingers to look at these pictures. Tha't exaclty what they hate !

CaptainShuddup says

To each their own, but it is fucked up when they want to put it on display then declare mandatory viewing.

(from another thread)

And to you right wingers out there: This is mandatory viewing, but hey, you can break the rules every now and then, right?

Just don't look !! Think of it as civil disobedience !

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Liberals Explode Over Straight White Guy Festival In Ohio, marcus said:

thunderlips11 says

So while the left was prattling on over $5 lattes about how they experienced gender oppression and whether banning MTF Trans people at the Michigan Womyn's Festival was fair or not, the right wingers took control.

I would frame it a little differently.

The right was able to exploit the fact that left included under their "tent" people who took disproportionate issue with the patriarchy, or protested for fair treatment to minority groups. Most people on the left are tolerant and agree in principal with such protests, but don't see these as the pivotal most important policy issues of the day.

So the right makes fun of these minority loving fairness minded types as a ploy to get votes of the typical authoritarian personality, or bigot, or overly self righteous fundamentalist, or gullible working stiffs in fly over country, by easily generalizing and putting the liberal viewpoint down as unrealistic or worse. Meanwhile they already have the vote of the businessman and plutocrat who myopically sees the right wing policy as in his financial interest.

But at the end of the day, the policy issues that matter the most and are decided differently by the political parties are all about things like taxes, and regulations of corporations.

edvard2 says

Either way I find this site less and less interesting

That means you don't have enough people on ignore.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in New insight into why some older adults show declining cognitive ability, marcus said:

THis (link below) came out the other day. They make the connection to more education staving off mental decline later, but surely that's because people with more education are likely to have jobs that stimulate their minds and problem solving skills after school far more (on average ) than those who have less education.

MY point being that formal education is not the only thing that leads to people exercising their mind well as they go on with life and work. Still, it is interesting.

http://sciencenordic.com/low-education-makes-brain-age-faster

Liberals Explode Over Straight White Guy Festival In Ohio

I guess this is liberals exploding ?

Premo heads an organization pushing same-sex marriage. He says the flyer is not productive.

“I think it detracts from the real problems of Ohio that need to be solved, that are being denied their constitutional rights because of who they are, or who the love. And that’s what we really need to work on and this is just kind of a distraction,” he added.

Yes, that one guy who is a same sex marriage advocate and organizer, says it's not productive, it's not addressing a problem and that it's a distraction.

Right wing dimbulb says:

"Liberals exploded over it !!!

Wtf, even that one guy who understandably took it as a dig at his campaign didn't explode. But you generalize about liberals ? Sad.

I'm a liberal, and I found the sign slightly amusing.

You're trolling yourself with this one. As is often the case, right wingers like you come off as a parody of your selves.

• On 27 Jul 2014 in Bad Day for Bad Teachers, Good Day for Kids, marcus said:

IF Mish was even willing to be halfway informed on this subject he would read Dianne Ravitch. She was a GWB appointee who at one time supported the charter movement. But as she became better informed, she did a 180.

Mish is the kind of blowhard idiot that is afraid to learn how wrong he is. So he shies away from sources of truth. Go to hell Mish.

Mish, if you have a change of heart about being willing to learn the truth about what you think you learned from the propaganda piece, "waiting for superman," then read Dianne Ravich.

Otherwise know that you are a dishonest and ignorant propaganda peddler.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/nov/11/myth-charter-schools/

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/answer-sheet/charter-schools/ravitch-on-how-wrong-superman.html

From a few years back:

The annual Gallup poll about education shows that Americans are overwhelmingly dissatisfied with the quality of the nation’s schools, but 77 percent of public school parents award their own child’s public school a grade of A or B, the highest level of approval since the question was first asked in 1985.

Another quote from Ravitch's New Yorker piece.

(but yes, she also details many of the lies in "waiting for superman")

For many people, these arguments require a willing suspension of disbelief. Most Americans graduated from public schools, and most went from school to college or the workplace without thinking that their school had limited their life chances. There was a time—which now seems distant—when most people assumed that students’ performance in school was largely determined by their own efforts and by the circumstances and support of their family, not by their teachers. There were good teachers and mediocre teachers, even bad teachers, but in the end, most public schools offered ample opportunity for education to those willing to pursue it. The annual Gallup poll about education shows that Americans are overwhelmingly dissatisfied with the quality of the nation’s schools, but 77 percent of public school parents award their own child’s public school a grade of A or B, the highest level of approval since the question was first asked in 1985.

Waiting for “Superman” and the other films appeal to a broad apprehension that the nation is falling behind in global competition. If the economy is a shambles, if poverty persists for significant segments of the population, if American kids are not as serious about their studies as their peers in other nations, the schools must be to blame. At last we have the culprit on which we can pin our anger, our palpable sense that something is very wrong with our society, that we are on the wrong track, and that America is losing the race for global dominance. It is not globalization or deindustrialization or poverty or our coarse popular culture or predatory financial practices that bear responsibility: it’s the public schools, their teachers, and their unions.

CaptainShuddup says

Every school district in a state should be unified. The only thing different should be the people in the buildings.

Within large unified districts, the schools in bad neighborhoods often get more money that other schools, for teacher aids, small class sizes, better technolgy and so on. But that alone isn't enough to overcome the fact that the population in those neighborhood are under all kinds of stresses, with bad attendance dysfunctional to nonexistent families, gangs, threat of violence, poor nutrition, etc.

And they don't pay teachers any more than they do at the middle class neighborhood schools.

Well Mish can't write quality, so I guess he's going for quantity now.

Here's an especially glaring example of Mish's weak argument.

This is what the union wants: To keep teachers on the payroll regardless of whether or not they are doing any work or are needed by the school district. Why? As long as they are on the payroll, they keep paying union dues. The union doesn't care about the children who will be hurt by this misallocation of tax dollars. All union leaders care about is protecting their members and, by extension, their own coffers.

IF teachers were replaced the new ones would be paying union dues as well Mish. IF you're suggesting the VERY small percentage that are in a state of limbo - waiting a decision on whether they deserve to be fired, thats absurd. Those dollars are insignificant.

What it's about is protecting teachers from one rogue administrator, or from a student falsely accusing a teacher of something because the teacher failed them.

It's simply about protecting the job security of teachers who have invested decades of their career, in a profession that up until very recently was perceived to be not all that high paying.

I'm not an English teacher but your blog reads worse than a mediocre college Freshman essay. So many assertions, so little supporting evidence. It's like you have diarrhea of the pen. Suppoting evidence that is there, are quotes from some idiots on a mission, such as his 2010 LA weekly study that was done at a time when there had been a massive number of (junior) teachers displaced due to cutbacks and class size increases. OF course those teachers deserved to be brought back to the classroom before new teachers were hired. Or waitng for superman which is known by anyone who cares to be full of lies and misleading bs.

We get it, Mish says: "Me have bias against teachers unions."

Yes, it's true that a very small percentage of teachers are fired. But it's also true that about half of those who study to be teachers and enter the field, quit in less than 5 years. Ineffective teachers are not having a good time. They are going to be harassed by administrators to do better. They are not going to get the teaching assignments they want. They are probably going to quit ! They aren't making enough money to make it worth the unpleasantness of being a bad teacher.

Yes, half quit in less than 5 years !

Most all ineffective teachers don't need to be fired to realize that teaching is not for them.

The days when reports of teachers sitting back and reading the paper instead of teaching are long gone. More and more teacher reviews are based on test scores, and weak teachers are pressured to do better. Also, ineffective teachers are not going to get the assignments they want. Life is rough for the ineffective teacher. The easiest path is either to work hard at doing better or to quit.

Your grossly misinformed complaining about teacher's unions is at a time when more rigorous teacher review programs are being put in to place nationwide.

What's the upside of teachers having contracts supported by a union ? IT does make the profession more desirable, because one can feel that there is job security there. You have no idea how difficult it is to do a good job teaching. What's to prevent average to above average senior teachers from being replaced by hungry totally inexperienced 23 year olds for half the pay simply because they can be paid less ?

You think that's good for the children in the long run ?

You obviously have no respect for the profession, and have no idea what's involved in teaching. You think that if a 50 year old hard working dedicated teacher isn't willing to do the job for 38K/year (otherwise be replaced in tough employment times like now by a kid right out of college) then tough beans, right ?

And that's going to attract good teachers to teach in public schools, and stick with the profession ?

Hey maybe teaching should just be a form of service that everyone does for a few years after college ? It will be hit or miss, but it would cost a lot less. Maybe it really shouldn't be an honorable long term profession that pays a decent wage.

According to Mish, having it be a long term honorable profession that pays a decent wage, maybe even enough to halfway support a family is unrelated to the quality of teachers you will get in the long run.

What happened to you back in school Mish, to make you such an ignorant and evil prick ?

• On 27 Jul 2014 in Occupied people have a right to exist, marcus said:

iwog says

Like I said in a different thread, these discussion almost never get past trying to figure out what is actually real and what is bullshit

Why does the word matter ?

The so called West Bank, and most of Gaza are under Palestinian control. The international community recognizes them as such. Israel agrees, but challenges with Gaza as it periodically takes more and more of this with settlements.

• On 26 Jul 2014 in Its Official: Real Estate Agents Are in It for the Money, marcus said:

I thought their only interest was helping people to become better citizens and better members of their communities by being home owners, and also to help people enrich themselves by making the best investments of their lives !

• On 26 Jul 2014 in HEY IWOG, Turns out Israel doesn't have the moral high ground, marcus said:

iwog says

You also seem really confused at exactly what a troll does

More generally speaking, a troll instigates. If I were to say that I think Sarah Palin is the most intelligent woman to enter politics in recent decades, even though I know better, that's trolling. I'd then just be looking to fuck with people, and instigate reactions.

But sure, taking personal jabs is a type of troll.

I don't think Iwog is trying to instigate. He's also limiting his assertions to what is true. But he's doing it at a time when Israel is being very aggressive toward Palestinians in gaza and the west bank. A lot of people rightfully question the logic of what Israel is doing.

Iwog is only dancing around actually defending Israel. He's stating the obvious, yes they've won. They can not submit and say they will never react to aggression from Hamas.

But is Israel's out of proportion aggression against Palestinians and continued in your face expansion of settlements the optimal path for Israel ?

This Iwog will not answer. And if he does, he will be making an assertion that is an opinion that can not be backed with logic.

• On 26 Jul 2014 in Princeton study: USA is an Oligarchy!, marcus said:

Quigley says

USA is an Oligarchy!

I don't think so. The researchers are clearly confused. What they attribute to the interests of the oligarchs are actually just good old fashioned Christian family values.

• On 26 Jul 2014 in Princeton study: USA is an Oligarchy!, marcus said:

That's shocking !

I wonder if that has anything to do with why they make it so difficult for a democratic President to lead ?

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 480 milliseconds to create.