comments by marcus

marcus   befriend   ignore   Mon, 31 Aug 2015, 6:13am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

marcus   befriend   ignore   Sat, 29 Aug 2015, 5:35pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

marcus says

Trump can't win against the young, or the moderates, or the culturally diverse.

OR women for that matter.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Sat, 29 Aug 2015, 4:27pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 3

I guess those that bought RE and sold gold back in 2011, did pretty well. Both sides of the spread went in their favor.

I can't see going the other way on the spread being nearly as low risk as that was. Although, the chance of a gold "flight to quality" spurt letting one out of that spread (should it go against them) seems fairly high.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Sat, 29 Aug 2015, 4:06pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 4

Dan8267 says

They each should get 40 years minimum in prison.

Maybe slightly extreme, but it's true those guys are getting away with crimes. Either that or what has been sneaking up on us since the 1980s is a trend towrds being a police state, and police get to do whatever they please.

I think the problems and the perception of problems with police can be traced to 3 or 4 factors.

1) SImply too many arrests and cases for the court systems to handle well, and the courts are therefore very dependent on the police, to get through cases as efficiently as possible. That is, they don't have the resources or manpower to take on police, while still taking on all the cases the police bring them. ( this good argument for legalizing drugs).
http://www.afj.org/blog/too-many-cases-and-too-few-judges-leave-courts-in-crisis
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-08-15/news/9708150093_1_district-court-federal-courts-civil-cases

2) Social Media, and the hardware in everyone's pockets. This one doesn't require any elaboration.

3) The growth of the underclass, and the socio-economic changes the started back in the 80s, have led to a culture within the lowest economic quartile of the country that's a mess. Meanwhile the political right and left can't work together or agree on any realistic policies to address this. Weak attempts are made to improve public schools, but the public schools that aren't working are the ones serving that lowest quartile, and the problems run much deeper than schools, and would take generations to solve (or improve). The problem is complicated, and republicans are not completely wrong when they argue against supporting long term dependency on welfare type programs. But at the same time, they don't want to consider realistic solutions that would require tax rates similar to those of the 60s and 70s. Police have to deal with the crime that comes with this huge segment of society, which relates back to #1.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Fri, 28 Aug 2015, 7:06am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 5

If you're looking to spend 120K on an electric car, it's a no brainer.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Fri, 28 Aug 2015, 6:18am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

Are we even sure this really happened ? How can we know that it wasn't a hoax.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 9:04pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

dodgerfanjohn says

Any normal person would say "eff it" way before they ever got to the point of being furiously pissed off

My way of saying "fuck it," before even getting slightly pissed off, is to put someone on ignore . It's more about having better control over where my focus goes, but focus sometimes includes an emotional component, so you're not completely wrong.

dodgerfanjohn says

Making other posters actively angry or otherwise losing emotional control over words spewed by random anons is a badge of pride to me

Yes, in fact I think that's what was meant in both the new and old testament by "the golden rule." Do onto others as you would have others do on to you.

Oh, wait, let me see if I can get this more deeply. Nobody can get to you in that way, but if you can cause someone to experience negative emotions, that's a badge of pride for you. I guess since you're immune to that sort of thing, you aren't really harming those people in the slightest, in a way in which you would not want to be harmed. Is that how it works ? In any case, that pleasure you take in bothering others is something you have in common with CIC. I think you're a rookie compared to CIC because the pleasure you take in bothering others pales in comparison to him. That fucker is seriously addicted to it. I guess he's kind of your hero, eh ?

Yeah yeah, I know you guys all feel sorry for my students. And you can't believe I'm such a loser that I read this in a browser window that I wasn't logged in to.. By the way I never unignored anyone.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 4:06pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 8

Trump can't win against the young, or the moderates, or the culturally diverse. He could barely win if the only voters were just white men over 50.

But I like the way he is stirring the shit in the republican party. Roger Ailles and Rupert Murdoch are getting an over due comeuppance. Turns out a lot of those Trump voters just want an authority figure they think they can believe in. Those folks never even cared about all the propaganda about health care - death panels etc. Those were just paid groups that went to town hall meetings to scream. On the one hand the idiots bought it, on Fox news, sort of, but at the same time, evidently, they knew it was a bunch of lies.

It is entertaining, to see the degree to which Trumps policies don't even matter. They just think, "here's a guy that'l get er done."

When the mainstream republican candidates follow his lead, contradicting right wing dogma, what then ? The anti-immigrant thing alone is going to destroy their chances.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 6:22am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 9

Birds of a feather flock together. I'm glad you've found someone who engages in conversations on the same high level you do. You should get CICs information, maybe take some vacations together or something. Maybe he could be the president and you could be the secretary of the I hate Iwog club.

There are plenty of people on this forum whose posts I've never blocked, and would never think of blocking. Where as you I have ignored, and apparently that hurts your feelings. Hey, some people I just don't want to get sucked into arguing with, because it will too easily or frequently devolve into attacking me or other mindlessness.

I notice 4 people have you on ignore, and one person is so far the most that have ever had me on ignore. So I guess I'm not as offensive as you think. OR even as offensive as you.

lostand confused says

That dude is seriously off. I really feel sorry for the kids that come through his classes.

Yes, it's true, I do have a lot practice in dealing with children. But these days I'm fortunate to teach mostly high level older kids, and behavior is rarely an issue. Very little conflict. But nice try. MY classes are overloaded because kids and counselors want them in my class.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 10:29pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

YesYNot says

Although I could do the calculus easily after high school, I didn't really feel like I got it until using it over and over to solve problems in physics, chemistry, biology, etc.

I wonder how long ago it was that you took it in HS. After the so called "Harvard Calculus" movement in the late 90s, the AP exams changed to emphasize concepts and problem solving a bit more, as well as mutiple ways of representing situations. Much of it was/is still abstract, but I'm guessing that HS calculus students these days get a better feel for what it's for than those 20 or more years ago. When we get to the review stage in spring, the difference between tests pre 1998 or so versus the 2003 exam and later, is pretty striking. You can review free response problems which are published every year after exams on the college board website. But multiple choice problems are only put out there every 5 years or so. Btw, I was questioning the benefit of strong Math students getting to calculus in 10th rather than 11th or 12th grade, not questioning the benefit of getting there in high school.

YesYNot says

Do you feel like common core integrates real world issues into math in a way that gives it purpose and meaning?

THat's certainly one of the goals. We're kind of early in the transition in LA.

YesYNot says

Have you read books by John Allen Paulos? I've been rereading 'beyond numeracy,' lately, and feel like it would be good reading for high school math teachers and some of the students.

I'll check it out, although I wish you had asked me in the summer (although I taught summer school) when I was way less busy then now, Sounds interesting though.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 10:07pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 11

Ironman says

posts his lengthy bullshit here, and then goes back and hides behind ignore before I can respond...

You're welcome. I'm happy to help enable your pathology.

I hope it sustains you for a while, but it won't. That need to snipe, that addiction to expressing those little snippets of hate. Where can you direct it next ? I guess the fact that you've learned to turn it on strangers on the internet, is better than directing it at a loved one.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 7:47pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

A lot of this sounds sort of like an imitation of your hero/nemesis Iwog. All that's missing is some sort of cogent argument preceding it, that someone is contradicting.

Are you going to continue with your baseless lies and false allegations, or are you going to provide FACTS to support them?

Ironman says

He's a pussy that can't win a debate with me, so his only recourse is to be a little second grade child and block me.

Ironman says

Not even close, you lemmings will just sit there and accept all his lying, dishonesty and fraud. You get what you deserve!!

Ironman says

I'm sure you didn't back up your lie and false allegation above with FACTS or PROOF and changed the subject instead.

You want people to prove that your comments are 99% content free ? Why ? Everyone, even all the other trolls know this to be true.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 7:32pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 13

Hah. Yeah, I'm trying to relax after a hard days work (what CIC calls living off the govt tit), having a couple beers. So yeah, I open up Patrick.net in the incognito mode to see what the trolls are up to, and I found this fascinating thread.

CIC still follows Iwog, which means he actually has to use another browser or log out, which he loves to tease me about doing. But here's the amazing part. CIC/Ironman wirtes an entire thread about Iwog's "pissing match" which is what CIC calls arguing, but if you read Iwog's thread it's all about people sharing points of view. Sure, sometimes they aren't quite responding to each other, as much as they are defending their point of view. I'll admit, that I didn't read all of it. But it totally is not your content free bs. You should just get the internet equivalent of a rubber stamp that says I hate you, and then just click that over and over all day.

What those damn liberals, with their content aren't doing is the pure trolling you do, which is beyond worthless. Here's ALL YOUR COMMENTS from this thread, which you started, so there really should be some content here.

Can you see yourself ? Maybe you're patrick or some person simply trying to show people what not to do. I don't get it. Where's the content ?

Ironman says

and the "pissing match" continues without a single "Foxbot" or "Republican" involved....

Hmmm....

Ironman says

and it takes 6 hours of non-stop "pissing" to do that?

Ironman says

I bet you can't prove that!

Ironman says

I knew you couldn't prove it. I'll take your answer as an admission that you lied!

Ironman says

Are you going to continue with your baseless lies and false allegations, or are you going to provide FACTS to support them?

Ironman says

He's a pussy that can't win a debate with me, so his only recourse is to be a little second grade child and block me.

Ironman says

Not even close, you lemmings will just sit there and accept all his lying, dishonesty and fraud. You get what you deserve!!

Ironman says

I'm sure you didn't back up your lie and false allegation above with FACTS or PROOF and changed the subject instead.

Ironman says

...that you did the same thing the other whiner always does... not surprising...

Ironman says

Bigsby says

I think

No you don't, that's the BIG issue with you.

Ironman says

Now's it's a continuous 1 on 3 pissing match, over a day later.... 420 comments so far...

and not a single "Foxbot" or "Republican" is involved...

Do you people get it yet??

(with a NEW sub thread started on women bashing)

Ironman says

of you running away after lying, just like him...

So,

Ironman says

Whew..... their bladders are finally empty!!

Ironman says

9 days later, and the pissing match is STILL going on....

Unbelievable!!!!

This is very standard CIC comments. Especially the old take a phrase out of context and show how incredibly clever you can be:

Ironman says

Bigsby says

I think

No you don't, that's the BIG issue with you.

IT isn't even amusing hate. IF all you have is hate, can't you figure out a way to channel it more productively ?

Are you a recovering alcoholic by any chance ? Just guessing.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 6:05pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

iwog says

Then women and ONLY women decided the entire system was oppressive. That they didn't like their assigned role as queen of the castle. They wanted to invade the realm of men and work beside them, but only in a very few positions mind you and not all the hard jobs.

However that wasn't enough.

Your argument is compelling. And I agree with a lot of it, although I don't know about your conclusion, that it's impossible to adapt or find a compromise. But the thing is, yours is a frame of reference about how messed up it is that we went in this direction, and got to this fucked up place. It doesn't say anything about why we shouldn't feel for this young woman's point of view (in the piece I linked) about how difficult it is to be a woman NOW (after all the changes). But also how she feels about men because of several incidents in her young life that all sound very believable.

Heraclitusstudent says

No I assumed everyone has 2 kids

That doesn't allow for any population growth. It's a little counter intuitive, but you have to realize everyone is having two kids with another person. So that's 2 kids for every two people. Now if you meant literally two for every person, that is 4 kids per couple, then you are talking about some very serious exponential growth.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 7:16am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 15

Hey Iwog. I just saw this, and found it thought provoking, at least for me, a man, to read. Makes me sad thinking about the perspective a lot of women have on men.

http://ibelieveyouitsnotyourfault.tumblr.com/post/95389261470/it-was-easier-to-give-in-than-keep-running

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 6:15am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 16

He lurks around every now and then. He must love Trump. The Mexican immigrant issue has always been HUGE for him.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 6:05am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 17

I was referring to so many people more taking AP courses (college level classes) these days. The AP exams are still just as challenging.

The low level classes that allowed you to graduate though were the same then as they are now. In fact it's actually a higher standard now. Things are moving toward Algebra 2 (college Algebra) being a graduation requirement Of course once they do that, it means there has to be a low track version available to get the really weak Math students through. But that's still a much higher requirement than the life skills Math you could graduate with 30 or 40 years ago.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 9:28pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 18

FortWayne says

When they lowered all the standards just to get stupid kids to all pass and inflate the grades, that killed education in this country.

Are you arguing that you shouldn't have been allowed to graduate high school ?

The truth is that high school in the is much like it was 40 years ago. Although in most middle class areas there are a higher percentage of students taking AP (college level) courses in HS than there were back then. Things have been diluted a little in some ways. But at large public schools in middle class area, things have always been very tracked. I can almost guarantee that wherever you went to high school FW, they had a variety of paths for people with different interests and different aptitudes.

One thing that has changed, whcih I have mixed feelings about is there used to be a stronger representation of training for trades back in the day. 40 or 50 years ago, if someone refused to learn math beyond the most basic basic life skills MAth, and if they wanted to focus on autoshop and wood shop, and planned on going in to a trade, that was considered a legitimate option.

(sound familiar FW ?)

Now the thinking in some circles is that everyone should plan on college of some kind. Even if your interest is in a trade, the thinking is that should happen in a JC or trade school after high school.

Yeah, this was those pesky liberals, and it probably has gone too far. But the thinking was that they didn't want anyone to get pegged as not smart enough for college at a young age. And that line of thinking made sense to the extent that it sometimes prevents students from being screwed by prejudice.

marcus   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 8:38pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 19

A good reddit thread about common core.

https://www.reddit.com/r/math/comments/21zdln/the_common_core_is_corrupting_school_mathematics/

marcus   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 8:33pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 20

About common core, there is a lot of negative propaganda out there about it. In my view, as a Math teacher that's only a couple years into it, my opinion is that the jury is still out. Mostly it depends on whether the politics allows follow through with it. It's going to make my life harder in many ways, but what it tries to do is good.

Here's what it's about. In Math, the people that are good at Math, that always have been, not just arithmetic in the early years, are naturally curious about it, and develop a deep understanding. They are often people that like puzzles and persisting in figuring out how things work.

But then there is a very significant proportion of the population, that have no idea what Math is about, beyond arithmetic, and think of Math as being all about procedures that you memorize. "Just tell me the quickest way to get the answer." That works fine if you're just trying to pass a quiz two days later. But if you're trying to build a repertoire of skills and a strong foundation, then just memorizing procedures and tricks isn't going to serve you very well beyond about 10th grade, because it becomes way too much to remember if you don't know why you're doing what you're doing.

So common core tries to address this. Much of it is actually slowing down the curriculum. Spending more time on fundamentals, and yes making things more student centered. Teachers, myself included have trouble with letting go, and giving students more time to discover and explore. And if you're going to do that, things do move a little slower.

But the benefit of getting there sooner is over rated. Of the (fairly small) cohort that I've seen getting to AP Calculus in the 10th grade (which won't happen any more with the common core), more than half of them would have benefited by getting there later. What's the point of getting to AP calculus in 10th grade anyway ? They can take BC in 11th. But then what ? It's like the parents who want to show off because their child is saying full sentences or walking at a younger age than their friends kids. Who cares ?

Anyway, I digressed, but my point is, look into common core Math further, and you will see there are many positives. Let's see whether we can follow through, adjust, and make it work, rather than simply moving on to the next flavor of the month attempt to derail public education. That's really what's going on, is everything is seen by some as another opportunity to kill public education.

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net