Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 24 Apr 2014 in Which of the following cities are best to live/work in?, CL said:

Carolyn C says

All my friends and my family from the central valley were terrified about me purchasing a home in Oakland. But after they came to visit and spent time in the city they realized Oakland was a very lovely city and now they have a different view. Recently I knew of a family that moved from Fresno to the bay area and were told by fellow employees to steer clear Oakland due to the crime. After speaking with me they decided to rent in Oakland and are enjoying living in the city. They frequent the local parks, ethnic markets, hike the redwood trails, and of course visit San Fransisco. The husband loves his short commute into San Fransisco from Oakland. His view of Oakland has certainly changed and I am sure he is sharing his experience with his co-workers. Oakland has more to offer than most cities.

Love Oakland

I love Oakland too, but the crime is real and getting worse. I don't think there is a neighborhood that is immune anymore. The criminals are brazen, with takeover robberies and home invasions and such --I have to admit I'm glad I left it.

Maybe it will ebb and flow, and get better soon.

Agree re: Berkeley. I think neighboring cities benefit by being able to pretend that crime happens "there", but not "here". During the takeover spree in Oakland, there were bank robberies in SF but that didn't get the coverage of "bad old Oakland".

It was the same in Chicago, where reported crime was isolated to the south side or Gary, but I knew of major crime on the Gold Coast that went largely unreported.

• On 24 Apr 2014 in Which of the following cities are best to live/work in?, CL said:

corntrollio says

You also mentioned work/relocating business in particular, which people seem to be ignoring.

Yeah. Our business is in SF and we've grown a lot. Thinking about bifurcating or relocating, or whatever. I think talent may be drawn to SF or Oakland, rather than suburbia. But a lot of the points you all made are very helpful and illustrative.

Thank you all, and continue if you have more!

corntrollio says

The nice thing about criminals is that they're often so lazy that they don't go up hills.

I don't know anymore. Maybe they got cars? :) Lots of my friends in the Hills are still concerned, and hiring private security like you guys said. My old place mid-hills seems under assault.

But I agree...I love Oakland, but the crime seems so random nowadays.

• On 23 Apr 2014 in What in the fuck is wrong with you people?, CL said:

FortWayne says

Dan8267 says

Remember, someday your boss might be gay.

I don't have a boss now, and I sure as hell don't plan on getting one.

Then it almost certainly will be an offspring. My god is hilarious like that.

• On 23 Apr 2014 in Idiots who can't read, CL said:

SoftShell says

No.

It's about personal responsibility.

Why should anyone subsidize anyone elses sexual behavior?

If they choose to have sex, they should bear the responsibility, not anyone else.

Then why subsidize fat people, smokers, congenital defects, sexually transmitted infections, non-sexually transmitted infections, diseases from overseas travel, workplace illness, and on and on?

YOU chose to travel, you got a blood transfusion (I'm looking at YOU, Ryan White!), you chose to work in a coal mine, you chose to drink that West Virginia tap water! Why should I pay?

Why not just require everyone to keep 1 million + in a bank account for a rainy day. Why can't we forbid insurance contracts to exist if this is a free-market????

• On 23 Apr 2014 in Which of the following cities are best to live/work in?, CL said:

Thanks for the details, DH. Nothing on Walnut Creek? Too bland?

• On 23 Apr 2014 in Which of the following cities are best to live/work in?, CL said:

213Cesspool says

CL you can move to Oakland or Vallejo since you want diversity and no white people.

I've lived in Oakland for most of my life in the Bay Area-- It's got a lot of white folks there. But it has culture and flavor, whereas most of the lily white areas in this country are cultural deserts, unless you like TGIF.

What about working? Any preferences on which city is a good place to relocate a business to? Or are they mostly (aside from SF and Oakland), boring white suburbia with your choice of Applebee's?

Ceffer says

Dublin has lots of soccer moms in yoga pants.

Nice! They used to seem old but I like them now that I am. But, the important question is are they unhappy in their marriages? :)

FortWayne says

We don't have income inequality in this country, what we have is an economy that is slow and not growing, and jobs that are constantly vanishing to overseas.

How does that negate the income inequality? You've identified a cause, but the two are not mutual exclusive whatsoever.

We as a nation bring in X dollars and nearly all of it goes to a tiny fraction of the population, the already wealthy. It's the very definition of income inequality.

FortWayne says

Yes it is, they have the same rights everyone else. They can marry one other human of opposite gender.

Jews have the same right to worship Christ as everyone else. Why all the fuss, Mein Fuhrer?

CaptainShuddup says

The American Civil Liberties Union sued Las Vegas in 2006, challenging a city ordinance that made it illegal to feed homeless people in city parks.

Aren't the ACLU communist homosexual freedom-haters? So, who are the "people" that have "something the fuck wrong with them"?

Are you saying liberals don't care about the poor? I don't follow your screed.

And what does FortWayne's "pox on both your houses" assessment have to do with blaming people who correctly identify income inequality and social mobility as large concerns for this country's well-being?

• On 23 Apr 2014 in Should I buy a house here in San Francisco?, CL said:

edvard2 says

I know this sounds obvious and I assume this is totally out of the question as I imagine its SF or nothing for you all.... but have you thought about the East Bay? You get WAYYYY more bang for your buck, better weather, and only about a 15-20 minute hop skip and a jump over to the city.

Especially if you have HOV access.

bob2356 says

I'm having a pretty hard time connecting your incoherant rant

I thought it was me.

• On 22 Apr 2014 in Idiots who can't read, CL said:

zzyzzx says

We do mostly have employer provided insurance, with the same extremely high deductible that practically guarantees that we pay for everything.

I would've thought it was a conservative argument that making people pay more connects them to their choices, which makes them less likely to abuse the system. Insurance distorts the capitalist mechanisms, does it not?

Isn't that the logic behind taxing that whiny bottom half of the citizenry, who have no stake in the taxes, yet reap the benefits of our system?

I thought "skin in the game" had been fully embraced by the right, whereas a more liberal argument would be "free healthcare for all!!"?

Now we complain about having price/pain points for healthcare?

• On 20 Apr 2014 in Bay Area Obamacare mystery: Where are the patients?, CL said:

dodgerfanjohn says

bob2356 says

curious2 says

Sarcasm does not refute facts,

Not but it's an excellent choice to twist the tails of bombastic fools.

Sarcasm trumps all in the liberal mindset.

Hence the popularity of Jon Stewart.

We like him for the facts, but stay for the comedy.

• On 17 Apr 2014 in Tell me anything that you hate about Republicans the most., CL said:

marcus says

Paralithodes says

How would Kennedy do in today's Democratic party re. taxes?

If the top rate was 90% as it was back then, then I'm sure he would do fine.

From what I understand, Kennedy's often taken out of context. The right believes that he meant "cut taxes for rich people", when he discussed rising tides. I believe he was actually focused on the demand side of the curve, and middle to low income workers.

• On 17 Apr 2014 in Tell me anything that you hate about Republicans the most., CL said:

iwog says

Unfortunately at this point the real problem with our government is voters.

I always say that. I was watching "Hot Coffee" the other day, about the backstory on the Tort Deform movement. The voters are best symbolized by some cat in the story who voted for limits on malpractice damages, only to have subsequently suffered at the hands of a medical institution. He basically said that the limits were for OTHERS, ya know..who ABUSE the system!

The voters lack empathy and introspection. They want to vilify the poor because it makes them feel better than they are in their own underpaid suffering.

Regarding Republicans, where to begin? Where to end?

Blindly supporting gun rights without limit, despite the deaths of children and innocents.

Fanning the flames of bigotry, wherever and whenever it benefits them electorally.

Their inverted crazy logic on nearly every topic. "The poors are poor because of safety nets! The safety nets were designed to keep you poor, so that you poors will vote Democrat!" Global warming is a scam concocted by scientists throughout the world because of grant money! My oil industry paid lobbyists said so!" Crazy.

Jingoism.

Hypocrisy. The most adamantly opposed to gay rights are usually gay themselves. The ones opposed to abortion under any circumstance are the ones who drive their girlfriends to get them.

And the fact that the voters, particularly social conservatives, never seem to hold them accountable for playing them all like fools.

• On 4 Apr 2014 in Salem, Oregon, CL said:

Thank you for your reasoned input!

• On 1 Apr 2014 in Some Bay Area Residents Refuse To Sign Up For Insurance, Will Pay Penalty, CL said:

Analyzer says

Somehow the government gets a pass when they screw something up

Where? In America? The opposite is clearly true, as very few recount their good experiences with a government agency or programs.

FortWayne says

Roi sure know show to under report his income if $350 is 1% of his annual income.

Wouldn't he be eligible for subsidies?

• On 29 Mar 2014 in We're in a private debt crisis that could lead to the next economic collapse: R, CL said:

"The government offers necessary services, that are best organized top-down. Its efficiency is not worse than any large organization. The DMV is not worse than ATT. The size of the American government is not large by comparison to any other developed country, and is more focused on military than most other nations."

AT&T is far WORSE than any government agency I've ever encountered.

• On 29 Mar 2014 in Why not Jesse?, CL said:

The Professor says

Call it Crazy says

Where do I vote for him??

The same place you voted for Ron Paul.

A cereal box?

• On 27 Mar 2014 in We'll ask the questions around here!, CL said:

I ran it through my "Fox news translator". It says, "Black people are angry, very angry". The it calls them all "uppity", and wistfully looks back on the day when "coloreds" knew their place.

• On 26 Mar 2014 in Some pictures of Global Warming, CL said:

rooemoore says

Climate change industry? Don't you think the oil industry is a wee bit more powerful?

And this is where the rightwing usually retorts, "them science eggheads get GRANT MONEY". They're the ones with vested interests---all of 'em!

I do believe the science guy that was paid for by the Oil and Gas lobby. Quite convincing!

• On 24 Mar 2014 in Is President Obama becoming a two-term version of President Jimmy Carter?, CL said:

CaptainShuddup says

Vicente says

Who was this loser?

...Yeah, but juuuuuuuuussssssssssst barely.

If that accounts for anything.

Um...5 million votes and 126 EV is not "barely". That's a larger EV spread than Clinton trounced Dole with, and larger on both counts than anything Bush "won" with.

Largest vote totals ever, except for himself in 2008 (obviously population growth is a factor). Still, the largest vote tallies in history are Obama at #1, and #2.

CaptainShuddup says

Obama has been a one man "horror" show.

Because Congress signs off on anything that comes from the WH? Where do you get this stuff?

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 160 milliseconds to create.