Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 13 Sep 2014 in He's back, and this time he's making roads safe for good guys., CL said:

Remember that Martin was armed with a sidewalk, so imagine what this kid could've done with an actual gun in his truck! Zimmerman had no choice!

• On 10 Sep 2014 in Why do cops need bayonets, CL said:

The guy didn't know what a bayonet was. When he finally figured it out he said, "Ohhh. You mean Colored People stabbers?"

• On 9 Sep 2014 in scientific fact, CL said:

Peter P says

Science needs not be the only way.

What does that mean too? Provable and repeatable things can be complemented with things that are not provable? Or that fail to be discerned?

Those are beliefs, and you are welcome to them, but the only things we can all agree upon SHOULD be that which is scientific.

• On 9 Sep 2014 in Somebody please enlighten me about AAPL, CL said:

Peter P says

CL says

Oh yeah? Then how comes Apple has Geniuses, huh?

Only at the bar.

At the bar all the chicks are beautiful, but the guys get me mad enough to slug 'em..on printhiple.

Peter P says

CL says

Apple's foray into payments will be big. Unlike Google Wallet, people will use it and they have millions upon millions of active payers already registered.

I rather trust Google's security. Google employees tend to be smarter anyway.

Oh yeah? Then how comes Apple has Geniuses, huh?

• On 9 Sep 2014 in scientific fact, CL said:

Peter P says

But science in its current form is inseparable from the academics.

Piffle. You have industry paid for hacks (on the Koch payroll, for example), and even they come back with info their patrons don't want to believe.

Science is, ya know, true. Verifiable, repeatable, experimental, provable. Other scientists are incentivized to disprove gravity. Since they have been unable, the theory stands.

I can believe my car will run on water. But you will prove that it runs on gas. My theory is easily disproven.

Apple's foray into payments will be big. Unlike Google Wallet, people will use it and they have millions upon millions of active payers already registered.

I traded in my iPad for a Macbook Air. Got a .edu discount from BestBuy so the whole thing was like $500. It's awesome too.

• On 9 Sep 2014 in Jesus was a Marxist, CL said:

Peter P says

Well, I am more of a Nietzsche/Kierkegaard kind of guy.

Who isn't?
    SoftShell says

I've always had trouble with celsius..

Yond Celsius has a lean and hungry look.

Vicente says

HydroCabron says

Yet Calvin himself is long gone from the collective memory, because he was just the figure who influenced our ancestors - we have kept the customs while forgetting the history.

I'm ignorant of Calvinism as well, but it jibes with my Baptist upbringing.

I understand Calvin, but Hobbes confuses me. Is a large cat the Leviathan?

• On 9 Sep 2014 in Minimum wage increase in Los Angeles (Yay or Nay?), CL said:

Quigley says

If your business model is so flimsy that you can't afford to pay your workers a reasonable wage, maybe you should close your doors and leave business to someone with more skill at it.

Well, an alternative would be to take a dollar or two per hour from all of your employees. Instant profit! Need more? Take 3 or 4!

thunderlips11 says

DIdn't he have his son in law executed for heresy and his daughter whipped for dancing? I forget.

That was Dirty Dancing I think.

• On 9 Sep 2014 in Minimum wage increase in Los Angeles (Yay or Nay?), CL said:

Strategist says

Call it Crazy says

What causes inflation?

Higher wages not based on productivity will definitely add to inflation...."Wage push inflation"

Why would that be a bad thing? My guess would be that the effect tapers the higher up the scale you go. Since we are fighting deflation and income/wealth inequality, the effect would be to lower the value of the wealthiest folks while increasing the spending power of the bottom half.

curious2 says

And yet, you opine on economics and specifically the price of labor. You divide the world falsely into "the rich" and "the poor" without even knowing where you fall on that scale

Someone hasn't had their tea. Yawn/yap/yawn.

I know what the minimum wage should be! HIGHER! When you adjust for inflation, Sam Walton paid his employees more than they are paid today. If workers are desperate enough, they will work for a dollar. The business class love their desperation, but that doesn't make for a health economy or a contented working class.

T'would appear to me that the Liberation Theology crowd are the truest to the Gospels. But they are Neo-Marxists!

When in doubt, rewrite the Bible.

• On 8 Sep 2014 in High-tech Employment, CL said:

Where would you hear something like that? :)

• On 8 Sep 2014 in S. Truett Cathy, 1921-2014, CL said:

Whatever happened to WTFRK80 or whatever his name was?

I saw this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-sosa/jesus-is-just-a-myth-tell_b_5749472.html

and thought of him. I remember him vociferously defending the historical Jesus.

Anyway, Cathy is dead. Can I eat Chik Fil A now?

• On 8 Sep 2014 in High-tech Employment, CL said:

Are those good wages for normal people? :)

• On 8 Sep 2014 in Why Are Republicans Suddenly Leaning Left?, CL said:

curious2 says

Yes, although we have seen at least one recent exception: 2012. President Obama became the first president ever to win re-election with fewer votes than he got the first time. How? The most likely explanation is that many Christian fundamentalists who turned out to oppose the cult member (who privately called their religions "abominations," in addition to his more famous remarks about 47% of voters being totally dependent on government) in the primaries, stayed home rather than vote for him in the general election.

Wait. How would Obama's lower tally across two General elections be correlated to Romney turning off his base? Unless you are claiming Romney's primary vote totals were larger than his GE totals?

curious2 says

Look more carefully. Read Forthood's comments, for example, and TOB. Even zz (mis)stereotypes "Obama supporters". I laugh when certain PatNetters accuse me of failing to read other opinions, or being unable to handle other opinions, because in fact I read them all the time.

It's good you do, although I'm not sure I follow. The people you cite here ARE the base, and that kind of attitude is largely what the general electorate finds repulsive, right? At least, young people, women, minorities and the liberally minded do.

curious2 says

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but I did refer specifically to the difference between primary election voters and general election voters. One can be a subset of the other, but they are two different groups. The people haven't changed, but the general election requires fishing in a larger pond.

Agreed. Although I don't believe that Primary voters tend to stay home in the general, since they tend to be activists. They usually find that their primary opponent's tiny difference with the nominee is not as large as they believed in the heat of a primary campaign. Witness the lack of PUMAs, despite the chatterers' insistence, in Obama's first Presidential election. I'd say the primary voter is almost always a subset of the general.

Obviously, we know that by the general, the hope for candidates is to pull off a Houdini and pray that nobody recorded them pandering to their flanks. The problem for the Right is that the electorate finds their base disgusting, whereas I don't see the same problem on the left. The right's best hope is to not get caught.

Still, these candidates are essentially willing to trade, as it were, their base for the general electorate, or even the Democratic voter. That would indicate the Teabaggers have fizzled.

• On 8 Sep 2014 in Minimum wage increase in Los Angeles (Yay or Nay?), CL said:

Call it Crazy says

So, the NET affect of minimum wage increases becomes ZERO to the workers, because these workers might see an increase in their paycheck but it's going to cost them more when they go spend it at different stores and businesses who raised their prices to cover their own employees...

Except those stores and businesses have more than minimum wage consumers--they spread the costs to all consumers, rich and poor alike. So, the costs are not levied upon the lowest wage earners.

Even if the wages increases for the next echelon, that can be handled by all consumers too. It would result in a leveling of income from those who can afford it the most, the top percentile, to the bottom percentile.

If a toilet paper factory raised the pay of its employees by a dollar, each roll of toilet paper would go up a dime. I can't even tell you what the price of toilet paper is since I don't price shop. But the poor won't use up any more paper than they did prior to the increase, and the rich won't notice. The worker would gladly get the increase, and pay for the higher priced ass-wipes.

CaptainShuddup says

To get stupid Liberals to vote for them, so they can then turn around and fuck them all up the Ass. Why not it worked for Obama?

Stupid Democracy. I can't believe the voters don't agree with you.

curious2 says

Simple answer: they say whatever their pollsters tell them to say, because they have no respect for the voters.

Then of course, you'd have to think that the Tea Party movement was the same thing. You had an angry rightwing chunk of the electorate, so give the people what they want.

Following that logic, the electorate is not so rightwing anymore?

• On 8 Sep 2014 in Minimum wage increase in Los Angeles (Yay or Nay?), CL said:

It's a yay. The ones who get increases are also consumers, and local ones at that. Yet, not all consumers are minimum wage employees, therefore, adding a few cents to a good or service won't hurt those of us above the pay floor, yet will increase consumption for millions.

Conversely, if the minimum wage increase is a bad idea, then why not lower it and help the business owner make even more profit? Why not cut your salary for the same purpose? Or is it only the poor who deserve to have their pockets picked?

The minimum wage has not kept up with inflation, so I'd say not only should it increase, but perhaps reparations are due since the wealthy have been skimming off the top of these workers' wages for decades.

• On 8 Sep 2014 in Patrick wants to open a competitive wine bar, CL said:

Patrick says

No, most people know at some level that they cannot correctly identify wine varieties. It's a game you play with friends, with winners and losers, and the opportunity to improve.

I get it--that's what I like about it. I just wonder how many phonies will be embarrassed by the results. I've known a lot of people who pretend to know the differences, but aside from vocabulary are probably just drunks. :)

• On 7 Sep 2014 in English Is A Must, CL said:

Good point. Why don't we have an official language anyway? We all know English is god's tongue. And why don't we have a state religion? If it's good enough for England, it's good enough for me!

After all, we are a melting pot, right? That means new people assimilate and become white Anglophile Christians! I mean, we all know the brown skinned aren't white, but we sure love them when they are sycophantic!!

• On 6 Sep 2014 in And what's dumb becomes smart again., CL said:

I still own shares in Blackberry, and it ain't comin' back. They could sell off the network and then someone like Apple can do the same thing.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 157 milliseconds to create.