Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 25 Sep 2014 in Poor people are good at explaining their failures, CL said:

Peter P says

CL says

Yes. So if the game were "I am King, and therefore have all the riches. You are not, therefore you do not", then everyone who was not King would not be so due to their own lack of ambition?

But that is not capitalism, is it? ;-)

They can also be "kings" in their domain. Or even kingmakers. Labels only go so far.

You believe that we live in a meritocracy? The point of the King analogy, is that there is limited capacity for jobs and goods. You can distribute them to one person, 1000 people, or to everyone to varying degrees. If you can acknowledge that one man having everything is wrong, then is 2 better? 200 Million? What does the scale look like in a good economic system?

What makes you think that where we are at on the scale is good enough? That somehow we landed on the right way to distribute goods?

Hardworking people can't afford to buy the goods they make. Others can't even afford basic shelter. Still others can't even get a job.

Try harder! There are chairs for you!

• On 25 Sep 2014 in Most employers say minimum wage should be increased, CL said:

carrieon says

tvgnus says

Most employers say minimum wage should be increased

Employers can pay any wage now above the minimum they desire. I don't understand whose approval they need, as this title implies?

They want a level playing field for the employer. If employers have all the leverage (and they do), they can pay very low wages(and they do). Higher wages are more fair and moral than the current minimum, but if the good employer does it, they are at a competitive disadvantage.

• On 24 Sep 2014 in Scotland, fuck yeah!, CL said:

zzyzzx says

No mention of how the media said the election would be close but actual election was a 10 point difference?

That's easy. It was Republican pollsters.

• On 23 Sep 2014 in Poor people are good at explaining their failures, CL said:

Peter P says

CL says

What is the point of THAT game? To prevent wage pressure on the owners?

It is simply a result of all the dynamics at play, projected as arbitrary numeric measures.

Yes. So if the game were "I am King, and therefore have all the riches. You are not, therefore you do not", then everyone who was not King would not be so due to their own lack of ambition?

Peter P says

They, on the other hand, can "blame" themselves and improve their strategy for the next round.

But, if even at "full employment", we had 4% by design unemployed, that is 6 and a half million people! There are many guaranteed losers.

What is the point of THAT game? To prevent wage pressure on the owners?

In musical chairs, you could blame the people without chairs. Maybe they were slow, handicapped, old or distracted. Maybe they misunderstood and thought they had a right to a chair too.

Me? I'd try to ensure there are enough chairs for everyone.

If there are 15 jobs and 150 applicants, you can't blame the also-rans.

• On 22 Sep 2014 in Whole Foods future looking grim, CL said:

Well, it's interesting because the competition are going after them by offering organic goods! In that sense, they've won no matter what happens to them.

Better that than the Boosh alternative, which was "just weaken the standard! Let the producer label it organic if they see fit!"

• On 21 Sep 2014 in Florida, you have competition again, CL said:

Ceffer says

lostand confused says

Nah this is Cali crazy. FL crazy seems to about killings and eating face-literally.

That's a relief. Drinking accumulated menstrual blood and sperm sealed in a bottle for bizarre cultish purposes and thrown in the ocean must seem almost normal for Florida.

This might be a good source of protein for a toothless hillbilly.

• On 21 Sep 2014 in Does marijuana cause psychosis?, CL said:

As a conservative, I think that these "scientists" are just trying to scare you and get their grant money.

Science is only science when the science agrees with my worldview. Of course, I am open to science if the industry pays for, and gets, the results it wanted.

• On 20 Sep 2014 in The big right-wing housing bubble lie - OC Housing News, CL said:

I find that when someone promotes "a pox on both houses", they are usually disillusioned Republicans that finally realized the GOP sucks balls. But since they've spend the last decade or 3 criticizing Democrats, largely baselessly, they are left only with the disillusionment rhetoric and no party to call home.

There's always libertardianism!! Watch Rand run (away from his father, his earlier rhetoric, his previous and current positions...in the end he'll be a Republican, but with some liberal positions thrown in!). Or stay home! Vote with your feet. Who tallies those votes, anyway? Who cares about the non-voter?

• On 20 Sep 2014 in Where the jobs will be: Non-degreed health workers, CL said:

It is good, hard, honest work. But it does seem to me that if you can't be a rich person yourself, there will be plenty of work for you to serve those who are.

"Growth anticipated in servant sector jobs."

• On 17 Sep 2014 in Mr. Morality Conservative Dinesh D'Souza faces Jail time, CL said:

He should go to jail for his film crimes.

• On 17 Sep 2014 in Planning to Take a Shit on Kim Jong-un's Face - What to Eat?, CL said:

The Palins?

• On 17 Sep 2014 in Minimum wage increase in Los Angeles (Yay or Nay?), CL said:

curious2 says

CL says

Yawn/yap/yawn.

I know what the minimum wage should be!

Ah, there is the forum level of debate in a nutshell. "I don't know the inputs that need to be weighed to make an intelligent decision, but I know what the output should be! Everyone who doesn't agree is just yapping! I'll ask them questions, but I don't want any answers! Don't bother me with facts! "I don't want to hear the end of any sentences!"" Yawn. Time for more tea.

Yes! Is there nothing that cannot be solved with a dash of snark and pithy pissyness?

• On 17 Sep 2014 in Jesus was a Marxist, CL said:

I just came back to this. and found this gem:

John Bailo says

Marx was a Jesuit.

That would certainly be news to any Marxist, or even Marx himself.

That's the problem when conservatives get their news from Jack Chick.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jack_Chick

• On 16 Sep 2014 in Rin's corroboration with a female ex-classmate, CL said:

Peter P says

lostand confused says

Now, maybe realizing my own mortality, children seem something I want to experience.

Adoption is always a possibility.

Right...but who would adopt an adult male?

• On 13 Sep 2014 in He's back, and this time he's making roads safe for good guys., CL said:

Remember that Martin was armed with a sidewalk, so imagine what this kid could've done with an actual gun in his truck! Zimmerman had no choice!

• On 10 Sep 2014 in Why do cops need bayonets, CL said:

The guy didn't know what a bayonet was. When he finally figured it out he said, "Ohhh. You mean Colored People stabbers?"

• On 9 Sep 2014 in scientific fact, CL said:

Peter P says

Science needs not be the only way.

What does that mean too? Provable and repeatable things can be complemented with things that are not provable? Or that fail to be discerned?

Those are beliefs, and you are welcome to them, but the only things we can all agree upon SHOULD be that which is scientific.

• On 9 Sep 2014 in Somebody please enlighten me about AAPL, CL said:

Peter P says

CL says

Oh yeah? Then how comes Apple has Geniuses, huh?

Only at the bar.

At the bar all the chicks are beautiful, but the guys get me mad enough to slug 'em..on printhiple.

Peter P says

CL says

Apple's foray into payments will be big. Unlike Google Wallet, people will use it and they have millions upon millions of active payers already registered.

I rather trust Google's security. Google employees tend to be smarter anyway.

Oh yeah? Then how comes Apple has Geniuses, huh?

• On 9 Sep 2014 in scientific fact, CL said:

Peter P says

But science in its current form is inseparable from the academics.

Piffle. You have industry paid for hacks (on the Koch payroll, for example), and even they come back with info their patrons don't want to believe.

Science is, ya know, true. Verifiable, repeatable, experimental, provable. Other scientists are incentivized to disprove gravity. Since they have been unable, the theory stands.

I can believe my car will run on water. But you will prove that it runs on gas. My theory is easily disproven.

Apple's foray into payments will be big. Unlike Google Wallet, people will use it and they have millions upon millions of active payers already registered.

I traded in my iPad for a Macbook Air. Got a .edu discount from BestBuy so the whole thing was like $500. It's awesome too.

• On 9 Sep 2014 in Jesus was a Marxist, CL said:

Peter P says

Well, I am more of a Nietzsche/Kierkegaard kind of guy.

Who isn't?
    SoftShell says

I've always had trouble with celsius..

Yond Celsius has a lean and hungry look.

• On 9 Sep 2014 in Jesus was a Marxist, CL said:

Vicente says

HydroCabron says

Yet Calvin himself is long gone from the collective memory, because he was just the figure who influenced our ancestors - we have kept the customs while forgetting the history.

I'm ignorant of Calvinism as well, but it jibes with my Baptist upbringing.

I understand Calvin, but Hobbes confuses me. Is a large cat the Leviathan?

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 192 milliseconds to create.