Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 30 Aug 2014 in How 'bout that X99 platform . . ., swebb said:

I would (as always) wait for version 2 of that board (it sounds brand spanking new)...but I have to wonder what you are doing that needs 2 graphics cards...8x is more than enough for most needs and I'm pretty sure there have been 2 slot 8x boards around for quite some time.

Maybe you could post a FRED chart about it? :)

• On 28 Aug 2014 in I'm liquidating all my stocks and going to cash, swebb said:

Ironworker says

But, I will try to catch the big one :)

:) Yeah, why the hell not?

(BTW: this puts me about 10-15% cash...so not a particularly bold move)

• On 28 Aug 2014 in I'm liquidating all my stocks and going to cash, swebb said:

I have been meaning to sell several stocks lately. I've done pretty well in AAPL, F, GE and LVLT, but only about the same as the S&P 500....I don't have the time/interest to pay attention to it these days, so I was planning on moving into an index fund.

I just clicked the button on selling those...maybe I will sit on the cash for a while first, though.

• On 26 Aug 2014 in Knee Defender: A solution to Reclining Seats (and banned by most Airlines), swebb said:

I have flown a lot and have seen the reclining seat squabbles break out many times (never quite to the level of water being thrown on someone, though)

My take is this:

1. The seat that I paid for reclines. I should be allowed to recline it - if not, then the airline should configure them to not recline.
    2. I find it much easier to sleep when the seat is reclined - if only slightly.
    3. I try to take a balanced approach and only recline to the point that I need to - maybe about 1/3 of the full recline.
    4. If the row behind me has additional room (economy plus or equivalent) I feel more free to recline.
    5. If someone in front of me reclines I can't say I enjoy it, but I don't get worked up about it.

Given the choice of flying Spirit (and all that it entails) or paying extra for economy plus...I'd go with economy plus.

• On 19 Aug 2014 in The gold standard was ditched in 1933, not 1971, swebb said:

iwog says

WHAT IN THE HOLY FUCK IS THE FED RATE FOR 30-YEAR MORTGAGES??????

+1

• On 15 Aug 2014 in Why California is Awesome, swebb said:

People from Texas will tell you Texas is the best state for scenery/variety/outdoors activity. You know, mountains and desert in the west, beaches in the southeast, forests in the east. (let's just agree to not talk about the pan handle)

People from the Appalachians, Ozarks, Rockies and Adirondacks will tell you they have the most beautiful wilderness They lack a coastline, though.

California is pretty awesome in this regard, but so are the rest. I found the PNW to be gorgeous - and if you like the weather who's to say it's not better than California? Maine is awfully beautiful, too...And Nova Scotia. And Norway...and....

• On 29 Jul 2014 in Our suburbs are a colassal and costly disaster, swebb said:

thunderlips11 says

Electric Vehicles would require an additional load of 3-4 American Households per CAR on the Electric Grid.

Are you saying an electric car consumes 3-4 times that of a typical household? Do you have a source for that? It doesn't seem right to me.

Average electric bill is ? $100/month. $300/month to operate an electric vehicle - about double the projected cost of a gas powered Toyota.

• On 29 Jul 2014 in 2015 Real Estate Prediction, swebb said:

FortWayne says

ost folks out here are holding to their rent controlled place for dear life, because if they are to lose it, they simply can't afford to stay here.

So what you are saying is that people are going to be displaced, not that rents are going to fall. If someone holds a rent controlled apartment that they can afford, but the market rate is substantially higher, then someone can afford to pay higher rent - just not them. It's not very pleasant for the person with the rent controlled housing, but it's reality.

• On 29 Jul 2014 in Sellers Have Come Out Of The Woodwork, swebb said:

iwog says

I'm going to assume it's just as stupid as all the other bear market calls you and others have been publishing for years

The article says volume fell off a cliff, you refuted it with a graph of sold $/sqft. Show the sales volume graph and it will get them off your back...either that or make an argument for why a precipitous drop in sales volume in July isn't a big deal (you know, rich people vacation in july, so of course they aren't buying/selling houses or whatever) Or make an argument against the source (anecdotal, caters to a small part of the market, too little data, whatever)...or make an argument for why increasing $/sqft is all that matters....or make an argument for why low sales numbers could come from constrained supply, not restrained buyers/demand....

OR..whatever you want. But they aren't going to shut up unless you can prove why their nugget of information isn't the harbinger of the big crash. Actually, they aren't going to shut up no matter what you say.

• On 26 Jul 2014 in Malaysian flight shoot-down another false flag?, swebb said:

Call it Crazy says

I don't follow aviation, but don't commercial jets fly the same routes everyday unless instructed otherwise?

I don't fly a lot by some standards, but probably more than most people (I've had a few 100,000 mile years). In my experience it's not uncommon for the captain to announce that they are changing the route for one reason or another (usually to avoid weather), and I suspect it happens more often than they announce it.

• On 25 Jul 2014 in Malaysian flight shoot-down another false flag?, swebb said:

Has it ever occurred to you that people will say anything at all as long as it gets eyeballs on their site (and ads) so they can make money.

Just take a look at the advertisers on the site and consider who their audience is. Then ask yourself if you want to be included in that group.

• On 10 Jul 2014 in I've decided not to have kids, swebb said:

Rin says

at's exactly what Ben Franklin did

Senator, you're no Ben Franklin.

• On 10 Jul 2014 in I've decided not to have kids, swebb said:

Rin says

Now, since many of my pals have had children and so forth, I'm absolutely astonished at how lame and boring these kids are. At best, they parrot TV shows and break toys, to the best of their abilities. In contrast, when I was a kid, I was dreaming of writing screenplays, inventing a lightsaber, and so forth.

If you don't want to have kids, that in itself is a good enough reason not to have kids. No need to justify the decision by pointing out that your friends have lame kids.

It's true that you "don't know what you're going to get" and that you can't be assured of a creative genius (in fact you can almost be assured of not having a creative genius), but you can certainly avoid the lameness you describe.

Has it occurred to you that your friends might be the lame ones here? Letting their kids watch TV and be boring idiots? I tend to think that if you did have kids you wouldn't let them be lame and boring in that way.

Do whatever you want...and by all means don't let yourself get pressured/tricked/guilted into having kids if you don't want them...

But to clear your calendar to so you can be the next Frank Lloyd Wright? Get over yourself.

• On 8 Jul 2014 in Wal-Mart wasn't thinking., swebb said:

I think the suggestion is that instead of the hedge funds buying them for cheap and selling them for a big markup, wally would buy them for cheap and sell them at a small markup...meaning the homeowners would have financed less and therefore have more at the end of the month to spend at wally world. Or something.

• On 4 Jul 2014 in Poll: Obama worst president since WWII, swebb said:

zzyzzx says

A plurality of voters think Barack Obama is the worst president since World War II

That should read:

"A plurality of voters think Barack Obama is the most recent president since World War II"

• On 3 Jul 2014 in If you have an Iwog type at a 4th celebration..., swebb said:

edvard2 says

r. So figure if you live in Cali a typical 6-pack of craft beer costs $9. If you make your own its 25 cents a bottle, or $1.50 a 6 pack.

Unless you have a source of free malt or are doing a heavy adjunct recipe (hard to call a craft beer at that point) I don't see any way to get the cost down to $0.25/bottle for 6-12% ABV beers. *Maybe* you hit 6% with a pilsner or something else with little hops and fairly complete fermentation...and you are using basic yeast (or propagating your own) and you aren't counting anything but the raw inputs...maybe.

• On 2 Jul 2014 in Water Damage...Everywhere..., swebb said:

waiting_for_the_fall says

don't understand this reference: "I feel like a non-white person trying to buy a home in a neighborhood with a covenant".

Are you trying to say people of color are horny for nuns? I've never heard that one before.

Covenant, not convent.

• On 2 Jul 2014 in How to actually save more money, swebb said:

carrieon says

The truth is, Private higher education is the last and only group still teaching something after HS..

All the rest are a waste of money, especially community colleges.

Where do you get your information? This runs counter to my experience.

• On 1 Jul 2014 in How to actually save more money, swebb said:

SFace says

Learned this from my father in law when I was 21/22. You save more money by making more. It is so true. Saving 1k bucks a month by cutting off basic fun things is a pain in the ass and frankly the stupid way to save. Making 2k is a lot easier and happier.

Not everyone has the ability to turn on an extra $2k in income per month. Hell, not everyone even makes $2k per month.

And for those who do, there is still a balance to be had. Working more leaves you with less leisure time....at some point spending less is the easier way to saving more.

• On 29 Jun 2014 in Starter Homes seeing soaring demand - What recession?, swebb said:

Call it Crazy says

Yep, I wish I knew how they calculate those numbers...

Are you saying you wish you knew what data they used to calculate that, or you want to know how to determine average and median?

I'm not sure how that spread compares to the rest of the world, but it doesn't seem out of whack to me.

• On 27 Jun 2014 in Live-In Nanny Refuses To Work or Move Out, swebb said:

Stop feeding her, when she goes out to get some food, change the locks.

• On 25 Jun 2014 in I Can't Buy An Air Conditioner, swebb said:

When you put the unit outside, where does it draw the intake air from (the air to be cooled and then fed through the hose)? If it is drawing it from outdoors, keep in mind that this air is hotter and (probably more importantly) wetter than the air that it would get from inside your house. Therefore your duct temps will be higher than if you installed it as a traditional window unit.

May not be as bad as the hot hose inside your house, but it's something to consider.

I was in a similar situation a while back. I cursed the builder for choosing casement windows and therefore pushing me outside of the mass market for window ACs...I went with a small unit that just fit (without the side louvers) and made it work. It's fine for a 1 month stretch, but it's not a permanent install.

Different apartment, maybe?

The daily high in Kent peaks at less than 80 degrees in July - are you sure you actually need an A/C?

I just installed some blackout shades in my upstairs skylights and it made a tremendous difference. Maybe enough that I'm not going to bother with the window unit shuffle this year (in Denver, where it reaches 90+ during the summer months)

Get a good fan and block the sunlight and see what you think.

• On 22 Jun 2014 in Question for Iwog re: 2017 crash, swebb said:

Bellingham Bill says

Economic rent is defined as the market price of a good above its cost of provision. What is the cost of provision of an already existing house or apartment?

Pennies a day!

yet we pay so, so much . . .

It cost something to build the building in the first place, both in terms of labor and material costs. You wouldn't claim that a new house has a cost of pennies per day, would you? There is no doubt that a portion (sometimes a very large portion) of the cost of rent is for the land value, or location value or whatever you want to call it that is in excess of the cost of the physical structure...but you have to pay for the structure and other improvements somehow. Lets say the useful life is 30 years, and it costs $150k to build the fucker in the first place. You have $417/month at a minimum just to pay for the place. Plus maintenance. Plus some extra to cover vacancy. And then profit, if you allow for that. And if you are being charitable you might allow an inflation factor, or an allowance for financing...and don't forget taxes and insurance. $700/month? Thats 2300 pennies per day.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 143 milliseconds to create.