comments by swebb

swebb   befriend   ignore   Fri, 29 May 2015, 8:47pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 1

CaptainShuddup says

A house is only an investment if you paid cash for it. Interest will eat up any appreciation there might be in 20 or 30 years mortgage if you're looking for a serious nest egg.

Usually IWOG gets here first, or when he doesn't I can stand to wait for him to get around to responding. This time I can't.

You are a fucking idiot.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Thu, 28 May 2015, 10:43pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 2

I say buy a MBP. I don't agree that having an iPad makes it OK for your computer to be fixed to a single location. Of course I don't have an iPad and I don't think it would replace a normal computer for more than half of what I do. Yes they are harder to work on...but what do you plan to do to it? My 3 year old MBP is pretty straightforward to open up and add ram or replace a hard drive. If you spill shit on the keyboard, yes, you are in for a long repair session...

If you insist on tethering your PC to a desk, the mini isn't a bad option, really...again, I don't see a lot of need for opening up computers these days, so that aspect doesn't bother me. I have a mini, too...I like it. It's not the fastest machine in the world, but it's not often that it really matters for me.

Or why not buy the iMac that you said was good.

My days of tearing out pages from Computer Shopper and piecing together a BAMFER are behind me, so I don't share your interest in the hackintosh route. Buy the MBP and enjoy it. It's pretty nice.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Fri, 22 May 2015, 5:15pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 3

As for the Waldorf/Steiner philosophy, I think a lot of the practices are good and appealing, but others not so much...the underpinnings are coo coo for cocoa puffs. (I've put 2 kids through 2 years each of Waldorf pre-school/kindergarten, FWIW) The older one didn't get any reading instruction at Waldorf, but blossomed in public kidnergarten...At age 9 she has read more books than I have in 4 decades.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Fri, 22 May 2015, 5:10pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 4

thunderlips11 says

I did discover that while speech is a natural process, language is a symbolic-based activity that isn't innate.

If I understand what you are saying, I don't think there is a consensus on this. Chomsky is a langue nativist, for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_nativism

swebb   befriend   ignore   Sun, 5 Apr 2015, 8:44pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

agree that some of the supporting evidence is bunk, but the assertion may have some merit. If you are going to major in the humanities, surely some majors are better than others. I'd like to see median salary after 10 years for various majors. I wouldn't be surprised if philosophy is better than art history...eh?

swebb   befriend   ignore   Sun, 15 Mar 2015, 8:04am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

Here's a crazy idea...water intensive agriculture doesn't mesh well with semi-arid climates.

http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_focus/commentary/where-we-are/in-a-season-of-drought-where-does-the-water-go.html

California's water budget is skewed heavily toward agriculture. The conventional estimate is that 80 percent of the water used in California flows into the state's multi-billion-dollar agricultural sector.

The 20 percent left for urban use is split between homes, businesses, and government.

About 6 percent of the state's water is consumed by industries, commercial operations, and governments. About 14 percent is poured into bathtubs, toilets, and washing machines or sprayed over residential lawns.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Wed, 4 Mar 2015, 9:36pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

Bellingham Bill says

Future is, uh, interesting:

Had I et my Wheaties this morning I'd probably understand what you are getting at. I did not. I see a 6% increase in the 20-29 population over a 20 year period. Not growing fast enough? What am I missing?

swebb   befriend   ignore   Sun, 1 Feb 2015, 7:16am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (2)     Comment 8

HydroCabron says

To be utterly clear, vaccination of newborns for hepatitis B saves lives. This is not some model, made up by a conspiracy of researchers seeking federal dollars. This is reality.

I think the issue in question here is how many more lives it saves compared to vaccinating at age 14 instead. My understanding is that the medical community pushes the hep-b vaccine on young children not because they are at risk of exposure while young, but because they are at risk of not ever getting vaccinated and therefore at risk later in life. On average it's a good policy.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Tue, 27 Jan 2015, 8:46am PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 9

Kristopher says

Iíve been very fortunate to find a great job and kept a low overhead which has allowed me to save quite a bit over the last 4 years.

Kristopher says

ideally purchase a $425k-ish complete fixer upper with 20% down and fix it up from there.

That sounds very familiar - it's what I did. I'm in the thick of the "fix it up from there" phase. I'd do it again, but I can tell you that it is disheartening to go from being able to save significant amounts of money and have significant amounts of free time to saving 0 (or going further into debt) and having absolutely no free time. I think it will be worth it in the end (we will have a house much nicer than we would have been able to buy otherwise), but it has been a slog. A lot will depend on how much fixing up it needs (ours needed a bit of everything and a lot of some things), and how quickly you plan to get it done.

I can't speak to current market conditions or trajectories in SD..I feel like we almost missed the boat buying in early 2013 Denver...couldn't afford anything we'd want at this point.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Mon, 19 Jan 2015, 7:30pm PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

Nobody says

We should know the history. There was a roaring 20's which is followed by the depression and 2 World Wars.

Was there a World War 1-1/2 that nobody told me about? Or perhaps a World War 3?

swebb   befriend   ignore   Sat, 13 Dec 2014, 2:11pm PST   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike (1)     Comment 11

Maybe they think it is more effective to present the facts without a lightning rod label so their listeners can come to their own conclusions. That way the water cooler debates can be between two people about the opinion they have formed instead of focusing on whether or to what degree NPR is biasing the story.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Fri, 12 Dec 2014, 3:08am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 12

I really like Denver.

If you truly can't tolerate snow, then it won't work, but I can assure you that the winters aren't bad. It's not at all like like many places associated with snow. It is exceedingly more common in the winter to not have snow on the ground than to have snow on the ground. It can and does get very cold, but it's a dry cold (really!), and usually only for a few days at a time. Cloudy days are relatively rare, and clear sunny days are common. It is quite common to have a 50 degree day (or week) even in the depths of winter. 50 degrees in the sun is delicious.

It may not be for you, but it's probably not nearly as bad as you would imagine.

Sunny and mid 60s today.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Sun, 16 Nov 2014, 1:10am PST   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 13

tatupu70 says

Why are you fixated on what a dollar buys?

People are fixated on what a dollar buys because they look to it as a way to store value. Misguided, perhaps, but it's easy-think and comforting to think of the world as unchanging.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Sun, 16 Nov 2014, 12:45am PST   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 14

I'm not sure I qualify as a "Leftist Urban" type, but I'll take a stab.

John Bailo says

My theory is all they really want is to contain as many taxable individuals (and dependent welfare recipients) within their Metro Area fiefdoms so that the the bureaucracy becomes as powerful as possible. Anything that allows for someone to "poach" a job/salary but live in a low cost area must be suppressed.

I don't think it is so self serving as that.

1. Based on the way you labeled the group, I'd guess they believe in the virtues of urban living (of which there are many) and are interested in things that support it.
2. High speed trains don't really have much of a role to play in rural / urban commuting. They are suited to long haul routes with infrequent stops, but you don't get to enjoy the benefits of high speed for shorter distances.

London manages to draw workers from a rather large radius by using a combination of subway to service the urban area, and trains which bring people in from the outlying areas. They aren't high speed, and it works pretty well in my experience.

SF to LA? That would be a good candidate for high speed rail, and I suspect the "Leftist Urban types" would be on board with that idea.

Perhaps they aren't in favor of high speed rail for exurb/rural commuting because it isn't practical.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Thu, 23 Oct 2014, 4:40am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 15

Strategist says

Your mortgage does not go up if you have pets.

But your maintenance costs do. Dogs pee on carpeting. Dogs scratch dors. Pet hair clogs HVAC systems. Dogs dig up plants, pee on (and kill) grass, etc..

Pets - dogs in particular - are a hassle for landlords. Both for the additional wear and tear, and for the tenant complaint factor (particularly in multi-family settings).

swebb   befriend   ignore   Sat, 11 Oct 2014, 5:38pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 16

I still pay Comcast for my internet connection, but I cut my cable bill 2 years ago when I got rid of my TV. I'm too busy right now to spend much time watching TV, but that will probably change at some point.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Fri, 10 Oct 2014, 1:59pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 17

Between 2000 and 2014 there was a pretty big recession, I've been told.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Fri, 3 Oct 2014, 12:44am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 18

Dan8267 says

This graph underestimates the problem because it's not "real median net worth" but rather "nominal median net worth incorrectly adjusted for currency debasement by using the every-changing and inaccurate by design CPI rather than M3".

Why should it be adjusted based on M3? Maybe based on per-capita M3 or something like that...but the economy has grown, so isn't it reasonable for the money supply to grow?

swebb   befriend   ignore   Wed, 24 Sep 2014, 12:14pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 19

Some insensitive idiot who thinks he's being funny.

swebb   befriend   ignore   Thu, 18 Sep 2014, 8:41am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 20

EBGuy says

Am I missing some big downsides.

I'm not a big fan of changing planes, or even stopping over, if I can avoid it. Particularly when traveling with young children....

As far as Southwest downside? The whole "no assigned seats free-for-all" might be an issue when traveling as a group...

Also I haven't found Southwest to be cheaper very often in my market. (the primary reason I don't fly them very often)

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best comments   about