Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 21 Nov 2014 in I'm liquidating all my stocks and going to cash, YesYNot said:

I like that iwog is posting his moves in real time, and he's done very well. But in this case, it seems to me that iwog has gotten lucky for long enough that he is overconfident in his predictions. Going all out to time a short term dip is a pretty cocky move considering his 2 year predictions. So, it seems to me that iwog may be setting himself up for a big mistake somewhere in the not too distant future.

On the other hand, most of the people who really are hot and bothered by iwog's predictions have been failing pretty miserably to make any decent comments for the last 5 years.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Yes, the public is stupid but why?, YesYNot said:

Saying people are stupid is kind of a humble brag way of saying I'm smarter than the rest. Obviously the average person is not stupid. They are of average intelligence.

That being said, people are uninformed. Anyone in politics sees how political advertising goes. If that shit works, people are at the least, easily manipulated. Further, people selling some political idea lie lie lie. It's crazy what people go for.

• On 18 Nov 2014 in Polar Vortex 2.0 Arrives - All 50 States Will Freeze Tonight, YesYNot said:

CaptainShuddup says

Climate scientist need it to say it was hotter this year, then take more hot climate readings. Boom there you go, instant increase in the average. Need it colder, take more temp readings in the cold regions.

Are you really so jaded? Scientists look at data collected from the same locations over many years to remove those issues. They also take account for heat island issues due to increased paving, dark surfaces, and lack of transpiration from plant matter. Otherwise, you would see a false warming due to cities getting warmer than they otherwise would be. There are some corrupt scientists just like in any other fields, but as a whole, people try to be as objective as possible. If they aren't someone else will cut their teeth proving the first person wrong.

• On 18 Nov 2014 in Polar Vortex 2.0 Arrives - All 50 States Will Freeze Tonight, YesYNot said:

Many people comment that global warming / climate change is not happening every time there is a cold snap. It makes for a stale joke on TV. Haha - not really that funny, but we have to say something. However, anyone who seriously argues that these cold snaps are evidence that the earth is not warming is completely ignorant of what climate change is.

In addition to increasing global average temperature, climate science predicts more extreme weather. It predicts both more record lows as well as record highs. The current weather doesn't mean much, considering it is a single event. But if anything, it is more evidence that the models are correct.

• On 17 Nov 2014 in TX woman's 4 pitbulls break into neighbor's yard and kill beagle-sues for $1mi, YesYNot said:

Peter P says

Dog owners should be charged with murder if their animals kill someone.

This is silly. Look up the definition of murder, and see if this fits the definition.

Crazy - we know that pit bulls kill more people than other breeds, but they are also raised as fighting dogs more than other breeds. I don't care to own any terrier these days including a pit. I owned a partial pit when I was younger, I've known a few, and have fostered a few. They are generally sweet dogs when they are not abused.

You are probably aware of this, but humans that are abused when they are young also tend to be more violent.

• On 17 Nov 2014 in TX woman's 4 pitbulls break into neighbor's yard and kill beagle-sues for $1mi, YesYNot said:

Strategist says

Why is it always the pit bulls that stir up trouble? All breeds are abused by some asshole or other.

The breed is a magnet for wackos and they make great headlines, but the dog's aren't that bad. A google search for pit bulls site:patrick.net, yields 3 stories of humans raping pit bulls on the front page. Wierd. Another search hit on the front page was a about a guy who nearly lost his genitals to a pit bull.

Call it Crazy says

OK, based on your logic train, what should tobacco users, doctors, alcoholics, drug users, car owners and lastly baseball players pay for their insurance a year?

Some astronomical amount, which was my point. The amount of harm done by pit bulls each year is very minor, but it seems to be a lightning rod for overly emotional responses. Apparently, the people who are not trying to have sex with pit bulls are afraid the dogs will chew off their genitals.

You guys are ridiculous. Pit bulls are nice dogs that have historically been abused or otherwise treated poorly.

This case is par for the course. The dog's owner is clearly off her rocker, but the response is that the dog breed is the problem.

If pit bull owners should have to pay $5K / year insurance, then gun owners should pay $100K. Guns result in 600 accidental deaths per year in the US. Dog attacks result in total result in about 20-30 human fatalities / year. So, accidental gun deaths occur 20 times as frequently as deaths by dog.

• On 16 Oct 2014 in Whiny time: When will real estate prices ever make any sense?, YesYNot said:

WaterGoat says

Plenty of growth in the suburbs & foothills. Certainly very little in the city center, particularly since condo development ground to a halt in 2007. So new development has little effect on prices near the city center.

It's the lack of new development in the city center with a growing population that makes it more expensive there.

WaterGoat says

But what I dislike about buying is that, if mortgage interest rates do return to 8-9%, which should cut housing prices just a bit, I'll be stuck with an illiquid asset.

My point is that it would likely take 10 years for that to happen at which point, you would have a reasonable part of your mortgage paid down. A nice thing about low rates is that the principal payoff per month is larger in the beginning of the mortgage than it is with higher rates. You might be stuck renting it out, but you would likely have a descent income stream from it by then if rates go up to 8-9%.

Another thing to consider, and I think you have from your post is that buying one house is the neutral position for the average individual/family, because you always have to own or rent one. Owning more than one house is long housing. Owning less than one is basically shorting housing.

• On 16 Oct 2014 in Whiny time: When will real estate prices ever make any sense?, YesYNot said:

I agree with call it crazy - #s 2 and 3 probably have a big impact.

WaterGoat says

House prices were around 3x annual household income (not salary). They were at that level through decades of the 30-year mortgage being popular.

When I look at home prices in a zip code and see an average of $350K against an average household (including all earners) income of $55K for that zip code, I wonder what is going on.

Population is bigger than in 1960 for sure; bigger than in 1980; but not much bigger than in 1995.

In light of the population plus limited supply near urban centers, perhaps these prices at near twice the norm of, say, 1994, are comprehensible. Frothy, maybe, but comprehensible. What's doubtful is that they will continue to rise much from here.

If houses were 3x income in 1995, that would put them at 165 (ignoring inflation). Today, they are at 350K, which is 6 times income.

In 1995, the average mortgage rate was 8%. In 2013, it was 4%. So, the interest paid in 1995 was $13K/yr. In 2013, the interest paid would have been $14K/yr. There are other costs as well, but the cost of interest is about the same in 1995 and today. There are other costs, and you could refine the math quite a bit, but the point is that affordability in terms of payments has not changed much. Why would you expect to be able to buy the same house with much less of a monthly outlay today?

Denver has 40% more people now than in 1995. That's significantly more competition for close in sites. I don't know much about growth outward from the city center, though.

I'm not arguing that housing will go up tremendously from here. It sure has turned a bit for the worse over the last half year. But, I just don't get the expectation that it will return to 3x income in the NEAR future.

Maybe in 10 years, the interest rates will be 8% and housing will be 3x income. Who knows, but it won't be in the next couple of years, and the economic climate 10 years from now is anyone's guess. Waiting 10 years to buy a house in an effort to time the market seems kind of silly to me.

As far as 30 year mortgage availability: Anecdotally, they were not as common or easy to get in the 1960s. They were much less common when inflation hit in the 1970s. After that, you never had the combination of 30 easy to get 30 year mortgages with low interest rates until 2011 or so. 2004 was pretty good, but mortgage rates were 6%, versus sub 4% in 2011/2012. That's a huge difference in interest paid.

House prices were 2-3x a years salary historically. In the past, people got 15 year loans, and interest rates were much higher.

Do you expect house prices to be the same as they were in the past when (1) loans are 30 years and interest rates are very low (2) many people have two incomes and (3) there is a much bigger population and more competition to be in close to the city centers?

I get why prospective buyers want house prices to be much lower, but I don't understand why they expect it.

• On 13 Oct 2014 in You guys were right about wages, YesYNot said:

^ I agree that people should cook anyways. I was just noting a work / lifestyle pattern that has changed over the last 40 years.

thunderlips11 says

As for dining out, I could not find that after a scanning the article. I think the culprit is a difference in household composition and consumption. Joe the Factory Worker may have eaten lunch at the diner or burger stand once in a while, but the big money was getting a babysitter and mom out of the house on friday night to Charlie's Steakhouse. Today mom is working too, so she is also eating out also - but they are going to Charlie's together less often. It's also a question as to whether it's inflation adjusted, and how it's reported. Corporate Chains are better record keepers and marketing researchers than Charlie.

I agree with you that the patterns have changed. People go out to lunch a lot b/c both parents are working. The statistics I cited came from a set of pie charts in the report.

To be more specific, the charts showed that the percentage of calories coming from sit-down restaurants has doubled. The percentage of calories coming from fast food joints has quadrupled.

Look at the graph here:
    http://ers.usda.gov/amber-waves/2013-february/americans-food-choices-at-home-and-away.aspx

People spend 50% of their grocery dollars on refined grains, beverages, frozen entrees, and sugar and candy. Considering all of the non-alcoholic beverages are sugar water, there's up to 22% coming from mostly sugar.

From the link:
    In 2005-08, Americans consumed 32 percent of their daily calories away from home, up from 18 percent in 1977-78.

Thunderlips,
    If you look at the link, restaurant spending has doubled, and fast food spending has quadrupled from 1977 to 2008.

CaptainShuddup says

hicken wings are the new Prime Rib, when it used to be meat that was added to making stock.

People aren't spendi

We didn't all eat prime rib ever. The parts of a cow haven't changed, and we've been eating the whole cow for a long time.

People have been eating all parts of pigs and birds as well. It just wan't anyone in your family.

Pig feet has been a traditional food in China: http://sunflower-recipes.blogspot.com/2012/01/trotter-and-ginger-in-sweetened-black.html

Chicken feet are as well. We used to feed them to slaves, and it became a component of soul food in the US, but now we are exporting a lot of these parts to China.

Eating the whole animal has always been done, it was just done by other people in the past. Don't worry, though, what separates a delicacy from the trash is often a matter of cultural preference anyway.

mmmarvel says

Again, who are these 'people' that you talk of?? I have one credit card that I'm carrying

Americans spend on average $2500 per year eating out.
    https://gma.yahoo.com/how-much-does-the-average-american-spend-eating-out-at-restaurants--.html
    Of this $1000 is for lunch.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2013/09/25/lunchtime-americans-spend-nearly-1k-annually-eating-out-for-lunch/

For a 4 person family, this is $10K. I'm sure that Parents with children spend less per person on average, and married with no kids spend more than their share. So, regardless of your personal habits, people spend quite a lot on average, and this is reflected by the shear number of restaurants around. The landscape was very different 10, 20, 30, or 60 years ago, and there were much fewer restaurants.

When you go to the grocery store, just look at what other people are buying. I do, and there are tons of pre-made items going into carts. Most of these have >50% mark-up.

So, the answer to your question, 'these people' whom you ask about are the majority of other people in this country.

• On 11 Oct 2014 in You guys were right about wages, YesYNot said:

CaptainShuddup says

FOOD, a Roof, and Health is NOT a Luxury!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People eat out more, eat more pre-packaged food, live in larger houses with more stuff, and consume more health care than at any previous time.

Eating at restaurants and eating convenience foods is a luxury. Living in a big house with a bathroom per person is a luxury. I'm all for a single payer health care system, so I'm with you there.

My point is that people tend to spend way beyond their means these days, because money is cheap and everybody else is doing it. They can ask for a raise and try to make more money, but the one thing that is in their immediate control is what they spend.

You can look back at the 1950s and assume everything was better back then, but meanwhile people are spending money on all sorts of things that just weren't available back then.

• On 11 Oct 2014 in You guys were right about wages, YesYNot said:

The reason that prices are up relative to wages is that people have been willing to spend more than they have. Prices depend on demand and that depends on spending. Wages depend on many things and global competition has made it difficult to keep wages up.

Culturally, people were less interested in living on credit in the past. Part of this is due to lower interest rates today that make borrowing more attractive. At this point, though, a lot of it in my opinion has become ingrained into the cultural mindset. Our willingness to live on credit as a group is why the average person needs to live on credit in order to keep up appearances or have what their buddy has.

The only real way for the average Jane/Joe to force the issue is to refuse buying luxuries and depreciating assets on credit. They have to smarten up to the long term consequences of their decisions and have a realistic idea of what will improve their happiness long term.

I'm a liberal, but don't think that the minimum wage will get at the root of the problem.

To bring this back to housing, people have to come to a realistic view of what they can afford. If they can't comfortably make the rent, they need to take on house mates. When people buy what they can afford, their rent will match their pay-checks.

• On 18 Aug 2014 in Black Facts, YesYNot said:

Given the literal way in which you interpreted that idiom, I believe you are autistic ;).

SoftShell says

Given the orientation of the stomach, and the various supporting ligiments and muscles, I believe you are lying.

HEY YOU says

As a white, these facts & pics of " these people" turns my stomach.

• On 12 Aug 2014 in Most student loans now not being paid on time, YesYNot said:

Reading the article, it says that 1 in 6 are delinquent. Based on my experience with these companies, a good number of those are paperwork errors by the crap companies that service these loans.

The 51% number likely includes people who defer for one reason or another. Is it people who are currently in deferment or people who deferred at one point or another? It's hard to say, because the article is written so poorly.

The government still makes money on student loans. Current estimates are that the federal government will make $127 billion over the next 10 years off of their student lending programs.

This will pay for about 18% of the cost of the Mortgage interest tax break over the next 10 years. It's take from the poor recent grad and give to wealthy leveraged homeowners.

High five!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffreydorfman/2014/04/19/student-loan-profits-show-government-should-get-out-of-student-loan-business/
    http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=3948

• On 12 Aug 2014 in David Stockman on the global economy: "...all hell is going to break loose.", YesYNot said:

indigenous says

When ever you are looking for the cause of the problem you look earlier. Just logic right? Yet Friedman is trying to say the problem occurred simultaneously with the cause. It doesn't work like that. The problem was earlier in the 20s when there was too much loose money.

OK, the great depression was caused in the 1920s.

indigenous says

But the bottom line is that the depression would not have occurred if HH and FDR had done nothing. Rather it would have been just another short recession. To place blame any where but these two mutts is misplaced.

We should blame HH and FDR who were president during the great depression. If it weren't for these guys, it would have been a short recession.

I'm confused.

• On 7 Aug 2014 in Meet "McCashier" Your $15.00 Per Hour McDonald's Worker Replacement, YesYNot said:

I haven't eaten at McD's in a long time, but if I had to touch a screen that has been touched up by the other customers in there, I'd definitely not go back.

Maybe they'll have a glove dispenser to help with that.

The supermarket autocheckouts are a pain in the ass between the alcohol purchase issues and the 'item in checkout area does not weigh the right amount' errors.

• On 30 Jul 2014 in HVAC repair - weird industry, YesYNot said:

corntrollio says

Scratching my head on this one. SEER is a measure of energy efficiency right. If memory serves, SEER = BTU/watts used. So the 14 SEER should be cheaper to operate for the same level of cooling. WTF is your guy talking about?

Yeah, my system is more efficient than the one he was trying to sell me. I don't know if he knew that, but he was just trying to make a sale. Being correct didn't seem to be important to him. He also told me it needed a new motor, when the controller was the only bad part.

BoomAndBustCycle says

How much is your time worth though? All that internet research can take awhile.

That's why I called the company in the first place. I'm not local, and I figured it would make more sense to pay to have it done. If the price was reasonable, I'd have gone for it. For several trips, it was about 6 hrs in the car, 2 hrs looking stuff up on the internet, and 1 hour doing the work. That is 9 hrs, and it saved about $1500 over what he was trying to charge me. At least I learned something. If the local douche retailers would have sold me a part, I'd have saved 4.5 hrs of driving.

Sure enough, the $300 part did the trick.

The variable speed motor is for improved efficiency and comfort. I think it is the main difference between a 13 and 15 SEER systems the guy offered to install. Whether or not it pays for itself over time when you include repairing the damn thing is another question.

Are you suggesting that I could just put a single speed motor and capacitor in the current system and Jerry-rig the controls in some way, or that it is better to just order the cheaper / simpler system in the beginning?

My biggest gripe in this process was the hassle of dealing with the HVAC industry and obtaining parts. If it is fixed when the $300 part comes in, that is not to bad.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 197 milliseconds to create.