Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 20 Dec 2014 in How's that hope and change thing going for ya?, YesYNot said:

Bellingham Bill says

Getting out of Iraq was a done deal in 2008. The way ISIS took over though removes this as a feather in the administration's cap. They fucked that up.

ISIS is a result of leaving a power vacuum and trying to set up a democracy in a country where 60% of the country are one religion, 35% are another religion, and these people have a history of fighting each other. Most of the work in this nation-building effort went on under Bush, who had about 7 years to 'fix' the situation.

That said, in the name of crediting both successes and failures to the dummy in charge, I'll give you that this one is a black eye for Obama.

• On 20 Dec 2014 in How's that hope and change thing going for ya?, YesYNot said:

Getting OBL would have been a nothing burger if we didn't blow 9/11 out of proportion and start two very costly wars. But, since we huffed and puffed and spent 4 to 6 trillion, we would have looked like impotent nit wits if we couldn't even kill enemy # 1.

Bellingham Bill says

blue is full time employment and red is 75% of the population age 25-64

That's a good graph. It clearly shows we are still in the toilet, but it shows how crappy things were after the Bush recession. The pubbots like to sweep that part under the rug and say that the unemployment figure is a lie. 10% to 6% is pretty good.

B Bill, you point out that much of these successes are not the direct result of Obama's actions. That is true, but it is also true of most CEOs and presidents. Much of the successes and failures of leaders is determined by chance. We tend to attribute these successes and failures as indications of performance, because we don't understand statistics well. But, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. If we want to attribute failures to performance, then we have to also attribute the successes.

Call it Crazy says

I'm sure he has earned and will enjoy the $4 Million vacation he's taking in Hawaii that YOU'RE paying for!!

I guess I'll have to pony up my 1.3 cents, assuming that my income taxes are about average. Most people will have to pay much less since most people pay zero or nearly zero in income tax.

• On 19 Dec 2014 in How's that hope and change thing going for ya?, YesYNot said:

Captain, you're the other side of bgamall4's coin.

• On 10 Dec 2014 in CIA Torture Reports: Frozen to Death; Rectal Rehydration, Broken Limbs, YesYNot said:

From Friedman's article:
    I greatly respect how Senator John McCain put it: “I understand the reasons that governed the decision to resort to these interrogation methods, and I know that those who approved them and those who used them were dedicated to securing justice for the victims of terrorist attacks and to protecting Americans from further harm. ... But I dispute wholeheartedly that it was right for them to use these methods, which this report makes clear were neither in the best interests of justice nor our security nor the ideals we have sacrificed so much blood and treasure to defend.” Even in the worst of times, “we are always Americans, and different, stronger, and better than those who would destroy us.”

• On 7 Dec 2014 in Is Racial Profiling Simply a Form of Bayesian Reasoning?, YesYNot said:

Whatever you choose to do in your personal life is up to you.

We do not want our police and government agencies to act this way, because it creates a society in which people of color, poor people, and religious people do not have a fair chance to succeed.

Religious people have it pretty good right now despite the blathering on Faux news. In the past, though, these groups have been persecuted, and it seems that our society is becoming more secular, so going forward, I expect these people to be in the same danger as black and poor people in your scenario.

Plus, when police stop trying to apply Bayesian statistic intuitively, and rely on facts, they make less mistakes. Humans are absolutely horrible at intuitively applying statistics. Absolutely horrible.

• On 7 Dec 2014 in Police Chokehold Ends in Death: Two Videos, Which One is Right?, YesYNot said:

The funny part that nobody has brought up here is that Mish used Fox news on one side and the Daily show on the other side.

Here's one news source that claims to be fake news, and another source that is only referred to as faux news by the non-indoctrinated.

Since I'm more in favor of personal freedom than a police nanny state, I side with JS and the daily show on this one.

• On 5 Dec 2014 in Even Bill Oreilly thinks Grand jury is wrong in Eric Garner case, YesYNot said:

They reviewed more material, but the material may have been selected by a biased individual, and the grand jury may have been selected by a biased individual. The prosecutor may have not given it his all.

More data does not always make the answer better.

• On 5 Dec 2014 in Robert Shiller says buy stocks not a house, YesYNot said:

I used to think that stocks were hands down better than housing. It worked better for my family over the last couple of generations. It seems to me though, that housing is about equal to stocks over a 7 year horizon. If you live somewhere longer, housing might be better. If you live somewhere shorter, stocks might be better.

It depends on your tax bracket, your discipline, how many times you will need to buy and sell the house, whether you will be paying retail for home maintenance, and other things. I don't know why people make too much hay over offhand comments like this by Shiller.

I agree with the article author, though, that stocks are pretty pricey right now, so I don't know why he's recommending them at the moment. I guess housing might be expensive too if you don't account for the low interest rates and/or are thinking of selling in the short run.

• On 5 Dec 2014 in New York Choke-hold, YesYNot said:

I can't believe some people are defending the LEO in this case. Six LEOs were on top of a big old fat guy and crushed or choked him to death. Sure he had some medical conditions. If you are not a moron, you would know that by looking at the guy. This guy probably would have taken 30 seconds to get off the ground on his own accord under the best of conditions. He didn't pose the least bit of threat to the LEOs, so there's no reason to crush or choke him out.

I agree that it's not murder. It sure does look like manslaughter though, or at least reckless endangerment or something. It certainly merited a trial, and the grand jury should have been able to watch the tape.

• On 5 Dec 2014 in West Antarctic Glaciers Shedding Faster - Collapse Now Unstoppable, YesYNot said:

CaptainShuddup says

My house was going flood and Atlantic ocean would be mostly freshwater, all of the sea life was going to die off, and the cooling effects of the mid Atlantic conveyor belt was going seize up creating 110 degree in the shade Winters.

Fuck you that was the Narrative and don't you dare say otherwise, we've been paying attention ASSHOLE!

If you can find an article from a large newspaper that said that the Atlantic ocean would be mostly freshwater by 2014 or that the temperature in the winter would be 110oF I'll eat my shoe.

Stop being such a drama queen.

• On 4 Dec 2014 in What we have learned from Ferguson, YesYNot said:

What about this video.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/eric-garner-chokehold-video-1.2031845

Did he deserve to die? Was lying on the ground face down repeating 'I can't breath.' too threatening for the 8 LEOs on scene?

Is there any personal responsibility for the leo that choked him to death?

• On 4 Dec 2014 in What we have learned from Ferguson, YesYNot said:

indigenous says

You mutts are not very good at discerning differences, this came around at the same time as the Ferguson riots to which Wilson was not indicted. You are inferring I am not implying.

Here's what you said.

indigenous says

YesYNot says

You're a lying racist.

Yea but your version is not funny...

I called you a racist, and you replied in the affirmative 'Yea.' The only thing I inferred is that you meant 'yeah' when you wrote 'yea.'

Call it Crazy says

Bad decisions have consequences....

What is it with you fucking liberals that can't accept personal responsibility for ANYTHING?? It's ALWAYS someone else's fault!

Yeah, there are consequences. Mike Brown should not have robbed a store. He should have been arrested and a trial should have been used to determine his guilt or innocence.

Darren Wilson should not have killed Bike Brown. DW should have gone to trial to determine his guilt or innocence.

Liberals are arguing for personal responsibility in this case. They believe that Darren Wilson should have been tried. I haven't heard many people argue that MB should go free. MB's guilt is a moot point now, because he is dead. DW's guilt is not. You and your racist echo chamber chronies are the ones arguing against personal responsibility.

To summarize the comments in this racist echo chamber...

If you resist arrest, a copy can kill you. You've been warned.

If a cop kills you and says you resisted, we will assume that the cop is telling the truth. Barring video evidence, the cop should not and will not be tried (I inferred that one).

Many people get pulled over for speeding and don't get shot, therefore if someone does get shot by a leo, it is there fault. This is some great piece of logic.

• On 3 Dec 2014 in What we have learned from Ferguson, YesYNot said:

indigenous, I notice that you agreed that you are a lying racist.

By the way, it's not my version, it's just the truth.

• On 3 Dec 2014 in What we have learned from Ferguson, YesYNot said:

You're a lying racist.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/fergusonsign.asp

• On 3 Dec 2014 in West Antarctic Glaciers Shedding Faster - Collapse Now Unstoppable, YesYNot said:

CaptainShuddup says

Just a few years ago the Arctic ice was melting and was going flood my South Florida home. And welp, huff, humph oomph, that simply wasn't the case. As I'm still high and dry... Dry as a bone that makes up a Liberal bonehead.

You're so full of shit. No one predicted that your house would be flooded by now.

• On 2 Dec 2014 in US Debt In Public Hands Doubles Under Barack Obama, UP 105%, YesYNot said:

Velocity is the first derivative. Acceleration is the second derivative.

The first derivative is positive, because the debt is going up (increasing). The second derivative is negative, which is clear because it is concave down. So, the rate of increase of debt per year is decreasing. Therefore, the debt is decelerating.

• On 2 Dec 2014 in US Debt In Public Hands Doubles Under Barack Obama, UP 105%, YesYNot said:

The debt is decelerating under Obama, at least according to your chart.
    It is increasing, but decelerating.

Humanity's post is pretty much spot on.

Call it Crazy says

I believe that might have been TARP bailouts after the melt down.

That sounds very reasonable and logical.

But... that type of reasoning and nuance smacks of liberal elitism. Are you changing your stripes?

Look at the rate of increase for the last 1/2 year of Bush's term. If Obama kept Bush's policy, and this rate was constant, we'd have over 24T of debt. Obama saved us 12T in debt. That's more savings than any other president in history.

• On 21 Nov 2014 in I'm liquidating all my stocks and going to cash, YesYNot said:

I like that iwog is posting his moves in real time, and he's done very well. But in this case, it seems to me that iwog has gotten lucky for long enough that he is overconfident in his predictions. Going all out to time a short term dip is a pretty cocky move considering his 2 year predictions. So, it seems to me that iwog may be setting himself up for a big mistake somewhere in the not too distant future.

On the other hand, most of the people who really are hot and bothered by iwog's predictions have been failing pretty miserably to make any decent comments for the last 5 years.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Yes, the public is stupid but why?, YesYNot said:

Saying people are stupid is kind of a humble brag way of saying I'm smarter than the rest. Obviously the average person is not stupid. They are of average intelligence.

That being said, people are uninformed. Anyone in politics sees how political advertising goes. If that shit works, people are at the least, easily manipulated. Further, people selling some political idea lie lie lie. It's crazy what people go for.

• On 18 Nov 2014 in Polar Vortex 2.0 Arrives - All 50 States Will Freeze Tonight, YesYNot said:

CaptainShuddup says

Climate scientist need it to say it was hotter this year, then take more hot climate readings. Boom there you go, instant increase in the average. Need it colder, take more temp readings in the cold regions.

Are you really so jaded? Scientists look at data collected from the same locations over many years to remove those issues. They also take account for heat island issues due to increased paving, dark surfaces, and lack of transpiration from plant matter. Otherwise, you would see a false warming due to cities getting warmer than they otherwise would be. There are some corrupt scientists just like in any other fields, but as a whole, people try to be as objective as possible. If they aren't someone else will cut their teeth proving the first person wrong.

• On 18 Nov 2014 in Polar Vortex 2.0 Arrives - All 50 States Will Freeze Tonight, YesYNot said:

Many people comment that global warming / climate change is not happening every time there is a cold snap. It makes for a stale joke on TV. Haha - not really that funny, but we have to say something. However, anyone who seriously argues that these cold snaps are evidence that the earth is not warming is completely ignorant of what climate change is.

In addition to increasing global average temperature, climate science predicts more extreme weather. It predicts both more record lows as well as record highs. The current weather doesn't mean much, considering it is a single event. But if anything, it is more evidence that the models are correct.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 236 milliseconds to create.