Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 18 Apr 2014 in Five groups that lie about the housing market, YesYNot said:

Rew, that link was interesting.

I bought houses in 2011 and 2013 & both are financed at 3.375. That has worked out well so far. As for stocks, I was all in with my retirement money, but too conservative with some other money. It took too long to get comfortable with the direction things were moving. Maybe the backfire effect had something to do with that.

• On 18 Apr 2014 in Majority of workers feel they are overweight, YesYNot said:

CaptainShuddup says

If you live in Virginia, and then what about the price of meat, not everyone is a Vegan nor wants to be

Well, I haven't lived everywhere, but in the 6 states that I've lived in, that was the case. If you add a little meat to your diet, it won't make you broke either. If you want to eat more than 1 lb a week, you're doing it for entertainment purposes, so buck up and pay the going rate.

• On 17 Apr 2014 in Why aren't ACA premiums tax deductible?, YesYNot said:

That part wasn't counter-factual. It is patently obvious that the overhead of a person signing up individually for health insurance over a computer interface is minimal. It is like the overhead of individuals signing up for an amazon account. Following an issue doesn't prevent people from stating illogical crap, and not following little details of an issue doesn't prevent someone from pointing out simple facts.

The price of health insurance is like the price of health care. If you don't have the power of collective bargaining you better be prepared to bend over, bite the pillow, and think back to happier days.

I was recently billed for a 1.5 hour outpatient surgery. The original hospital bill was $32,000. The contract that they had with my insurance - BCBS - was for $6,500 or so, so that is what they accepted. The overhead of billing an individual directly instead of BCBS is zero, yet they will still screw the little guy. It has nothing to do with economies of scale and everything to do with screwing over the infirm to the degree allowed by law.

• On 17 Apr 2014 in Majority of workers feel they are overweight, YesYNot said:

Captain,
    I disagree with the price of raw unprocessed foods. If all you eat are veggies, grains, and legumes, your shopping bill will be quite low. If you buy pre-packaged stuff marketed as health food, then hold onto your wallet.

• On 17 Apr 2014 in McMansions "unfold" in a day, YesYNot said:

I looked into these a couple of years ago. They are not cheaper than site built houses by any stretch of the imagination.

• On 17 Apr 2014 in Five groups that lie about the housing market, YesYNot said:

For reasons #s 1,2, and 5 and the self-selection of readers, it was clear that the majority opinion on Patnet would miss the boat. There were plenty of people on Patnet arguing that things were turning around, and there were plenty of people who bought and dropped off of the site.

People don't want to believe something that is painful to them. Many perspective buyers sat it out not believing they would or should pay so much for the house they wanted. So, I don't think these people were lying. They most likely believed their book. At this point, it's pretty clear that they were wrong. Some hold onto their beliefs despite getting smacked in the face with contrary evidence. I'm not sure why that is.

Housing may very well take another dive in the next few years, but for now, the bears have been wrong and denial runs strong here.

• On 17 Apr 2014 in Why aren't ACA premiums tax deductible?, YesYNot said:

There is no such thing as economies of scale. I big company has collective bargaining power when they approach insurance companies. These exchanges should be set up in such a way that gives participants the same bargaining power. That could be done by people running the exchanges, but I'm not sure that it is. I don't really follow this issue.

Here's the original food pyramid:

Note that added sugars, which includes HFCS is at the top with the guidance to use sparingly. You cannot blame a high sugar consumption on this pyramid. It's a load of crap. Here is a pamphlet that was published with the pyramid: http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/mypyramid/originalfoodguidepyramids/fgp/fgppamphlet.pdf.

The guide explains the difference between a potato, which is in the vegetable group and french fries, which are mostly fat and should be used sparingly. But we all know that the average Joe eats a crap-load of fries and no plain baked potatoes. It also states that you should limit salt.

So the food pyramid said to limit Salt, Oil, and Sugar, which are the main-stays of processed food. But that is about the opposite of what people have done in the last 20 years.

The guide and pyramid are an unfortunate compromise between nutritional information and the desires of various food industry lobbies. This leads to intentionally confusing recommendations, like keep fat to less than 30 percent of calories, and that cake should be counted in the grains category. Cake should be listed in the oil and sugar category, period.

edited to fix formatting issues

Damn - you're like a broken record, bashing the food pyramid. Added sugar was on the top of the food pyramid with oils. Both were something to use sparingly. The fact that people ate a ton of both has nothing to do with the food pyramid.
    Despite the hype, rice, potatoes, and bread are not the same as sugar. Billions of thin healthy people eat what basically conforms to the food pyramid with no ill effect.

• On 30 Mar 2014 in More warnings about 401Ks, YesYNot said:

Tax advantaged accounts are a great deal. Not taking part in them is a huge mistake. Some 401Ks are done with crappy investment companies, or the employer gets some kickback for sellling their employees out into limited plans with excessive fees. However, these plans are still a great deal for employees. When the employer kicks in extra money, it's a double gift.
    One of my employers kicked in 8% of my salary when I put in 6%. The 6% was tax free. So, by participating, my take-home was reduced by 4%, but my retirement account grew by 14% in contributions alone. That's like getting a 15% (before tax) raise. If the investment company makes $100 + 1% of the invested money per year in fees instead of 0.2%, like Vanguard would take, I can live with that.
    Another employer kicked in a pittance and their 401K company took fees that were too large, but those fees were more than payed for with the companies matching funds. I got a bunch of money tax free, and it is now rolled over into a Vanguard low cost account. If your tax bill is about zero, there's little point in a 401K. It might be better to put money into a Roth IRA. If you pay significant taxes and make too much for an IRA, I can't imagine a situation where it would be better to avoid the 401K.
    I interviewed for some companies that gave all matching funds in their own stock, or gave bonuses if you put some money in their stock, but no one ever said that all invested money had to go into the company stock. Not putting all of your investments in one stock is rule # 1 of investing. I have sympathy for people who did that and got ruined, but wonder what the f*@! they were thinking.

• On 27 Mar 2014 in 5" Smartphone screens, YesYNot said:

I had a droid razrmaxx, which was 4.7" I think. It's pretty much the same as a galaxy S4. I recently dropped down to a galaxy s4 mini, and I prefer the smaller phone.

• On 20 Feb 2014 in Oksana who gets $22,500 a month in child support, files for bankruptcy, YesYNot said:

That article is pretty funny. She rejected a $15 million settlement from Mel Gibson, and ended up getting $750K. Most of her debt is from the 40 lawyers she churned through fighting Gibson. I don't feel sorry for either of them or the lawyers who will get stiffed in bankruptcy.

• On 23 Dec 2013 in Kondratieff Waves and the Greater Depression of 2013 - 2020, YesYNot said:

The cooling over those decades is thought to be due to SOx emissions, which have been reduced. Most people who are educated in climate science know about the cooling period.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

Global warming models are not based on a few weather seasons.

• On 31 Oct 2013 in Reality check for Dan and other RE bears, YesYNot said:

The long term shiller chart from irrational exuberance is inflation adjusted.
    http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2006/08/26/weekinreview/27leon_graph2.html

Did you assume that the house was $50,000 in 1950's dollars in 1950, or did you already adjust the cost to today's dollars?

A 1200 SF house that sold for $50,000 in 1950's dollars would be worth approximately 1.03^65*50,000 = $220,000 assuming 3% annual inflation. Assuming 4%, it would be worth $525,000.

• On 4 Oct 2013 in California farmers warned to adapt to climate change, YesYNot said:

Local conditions are likely to change. For example, even within a particular state, precipitation changes are different in different parts. Precipitation changes might be positive in one part of the year or less in other parts. Methods of adaptation are to (1) use different hybrids (2) change crop cycles (3) move crop seasons up or back a little. There are a lot of methods of adaptation with or without GMO. This is the new area of crop science, and it is growing.

• On 2 Oct 2013 in Jon Stewart at his best: It's ONLY the Republican's fault, YesYNot said:

You know you might be crazy if ...
    the president of the US will negotiate with Assad, but he will not negotiate with you.

• On 30 Sep 2013 in Living mortgage free in tiny houses, YesYNot said:

I'd do it if I were younger, had no crap, and lived alone.

The benefit of these over mass produced trailers is that they are heavier, insulated better, and presumably nicer on the interior. They can look very nice in my opinion. The drawback, is that they are not as mobile, so they would make crappy campers for towing around the country. If I were going to live in one, I'd much prefer one of these tiny homes. Relative to a big house, they are super cheap to heat and cool.

• On 19 Sep 2013 in No thanks,I'll have water., YesYNot said:

Quigley says

But the best overall advice is to eat balanced diet with lots of green veggies and also fruits.

No one knows what balanced means. Everyone assumes that balance or it's vague cousin moderation is like them, or it is what they see everyone else eating. The admonitions to eat a balanced diet and eat in moderation are about as exact as saying someone is in the middle class.

If you want mediocre results, eat whatever you see everyone else eating. If you want better results, eat what you think is healthier and experiment on yourself. Remember that you cannot see or feel the heart disease until it is too late, though. So it is best to experiment within the range of foods that have been known to be healthy across many cultures for ages.

• On 31 Jul 2013 in Yikes! Yelp comments can by libelous, says court, YesYNot said:

I read the linked article, not the court case. This is the guys review that was quoted:
    [quote]“is (newly) owned and occupied by a sociopathic narcissist—who celebrates making the lives of tenants hell”[/quote]

Calling someone a sociopathic narcissist seems clearly like an opinion to me unless it is coming from a psychiatrist. Saying that someone celebrates something also is clearly satire. No one knows what someone else celebrates. It's not like there is a list of wrong factual information here.

Did the guy say anything else that was a problem?

• On 21 Jul 2013 in Should humans eat meat?, YesYNot said:

Meat should be used as a condiment if at all or for the rare feast. Humans are healthier without it. Personally, I don't eat any these days. Once you accept that it is not at all necessary for good taste or health, the whole production process seems absurd.

For those that feel healthier when you eat more meat and less of other things, you probably have a food sensitivity or something and/or you are substituting the meat for junk food.

• On 20 Jul 2013 in Save money. Don't buy vitamins, YesYNot said:

puhim you don't make any sense. Sarcasm is difficult to do well on the net, and you are failing.

• On 20 Jul 2013 in Save money. Don't buy vitamins, YesYNot said:

Roberto, I'm sure you know this, but you might want to take vitamin b12.

• On 9 Jul 2013 in Driverless cars just waiting for politicians to act, YesYNot said:

Putting bikes with peds is a no go. Pedestrians go 3 mph. Bikes cruise at 15-20 mph. In a city with 30 mph traffic, the bikes belong on the road.

• On 9 Jul 2013 in Potential Mistakes and the Case for Doing Nothing, YesYNot said:

To sum it up. We might be wrong, so let's do nothing.

"Better safe than sorry."
    - fearful leader

• On 9 Jul 2013 in Rare Bird in UK Killed by Wind Turbine, ironic ain't it, YesYNot said:

The only people who find humor and schaudenfraude at this are the vindictive losers who have been feeling sorry for themselves and blaming liberals when energy prices creep up a notch.

Everyone with an actively working brain knows that one of the pit-falls of wind turbines are the danger to birds. But in wong's post, it is clear that in one electric company, 232 eagles are killed at conventional plants at the same time that 20 eagles were killed at the companies wind turbines. What about deaths due to loss of habitat. If you are so eager to punish the wind turbines, are you willing to subject yourself to habitat destruction taxes on gasoline, per mile road use, property ownership, food, raw materials, etc?

Stop feeling sorry for yourselves, and be thankful that people are working on alternative energies to hopefully keep fueling our way of life.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 134 milliseconds to create.