Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 2 Apr 2014 in The Horror of HOAs, Philistine said:

Dan8267 says

sbh says

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

HOAs can easily be handled. They fuck with you, pile 20 tires on your lawn, soak them with gasoline and light 'em up. They stop fucking with you. You put the fire out. They'll learn after a while.

Uh, you didn't think this one through. Once the fire starts everyone in the county will use your front lawn as a landfill. That 20 tires will be 200 in a heartbeat. Then come the tailgaiters. In two days you'll have NASCAR and Larry the Cable Guy and every toothless demented bropappy squatting in the hoe-down that used to be your house. And they will all be packin', so think twice about bustin' out the gatling.

So you've been to Florida, then?

Yeah, this wouldn't really go down in, say, Orlando or Jacksonville. Although, trek to the wilds of Bithlo or Plant City and you may just find you some trash burners yet, though those areas don't really have what you'd rightly call an HOA, or even a neighborhood. . . .

• On 2 Apr 2014 in Following more than 100 aftershocks, Californians fear The quake from Hell, Philistine said:

bob2356 says

Victorians aren't brick.

Of course there were/are brick Victorian houses. "Victorian" isn't a single classification. It's a collection of various kitchy period-revival styles, from 1840-1910 and peaking around 1880-90.

Probably you mean the stereotypical Queen Anne "Painted Ladies" that are commonly associated with San Francisco, but, even at that, there are many examples of Queen Anne architecture in brick and not just wood--from the same period of 1880-1900. Granted, these are more often seen in the Midwest and DC-to-Maine corridor.

• On 4 Mar 2014 in We are reaching another real estate extreme., Philistine said:

errc says

What does a place like that rent for, 15k per month?

If we believe the min/max range stated in the listing, given the type and number of units: $10,300/mo.

• On 28 Feb 2014 in What $1,600/Month Can Rent You Around New York City, Philistine said:

dodgerfanjohn says

I visited last summer and was enamored. I'd have no problem living there, no car and all.

And the subway system was fantastic!

I don't miss NYC, but I had a very hard time leaving it. You are a wise person to have lived in LA and perceive the true city that is NYC. LA is a loose collective of hovels and ivory towers, interconnected by traffic jams and assholes: not a city.

Many people will disagree about NYC being a great place to live, and it certainly has its share of the down-and-out, but it is a real city, and to be in its boundaries is to be a molecule in a great cellular thing that comprises culture, humanity, and dynamism. Waking up at 4:30 a.m. in Far Rockaway because you drank yourself stiff and somehow crawled on the L train at Union Square is one of life's petites joies.

No city is going to please everybody. I wish people would understand that.

jojo says

Yes, and it's a guess as to the noise level and neighbors are like when you take an apartment. Generally you have about 10 minutes to decide on the spot if you want the place or not. There is a fair amount of luck because of this (hopefully the neighbors don't play piano).

We got the mousy librarian chick and trollish motorcycle kid that made thundersome coitus noises all night, every night. It was a real libido killer.

• On 27 Feb 2014 in U.S. Retail Chains See First Profit Decline Since Recession, Philistine said:

Fashion Island is actually packed whenever I am there. So is South Coast Plaza. But these are the enclaves of the well-to-do and foreign tourism. The more middle class malls like Irvine Spectrum, Cerritos, Mission Viejo, etc., are all struggling like never before, although empty store fronts are on the decline and home grown businesses are getting kicked out in place of chains moving back in.

I work very closely with the three big mall property corporations and travel all the malls from OC up to the Valley on a pretty regular basis. The really bad times hit in 2008 after the stock market crash and never really recovered, in terms of traffic and spending, in the 'B' malls. December and January were brutal YoY comp stores for most retailers in these areas.

• On 27 Feb 2014 in Gays here think they have it bad?, Philistine said:

mmmarvel says

However in the New Testament homosexuality is shown to be against God - Romans
    1:26-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, 1 Timothy 1:9-10, Rev 22:15. But yeah, hey,
    outside that, gays will (NOT) be welcome into the Kingdom of God.

That's all fine, just don't wave Lev. 20:13 around like some kind of bumper sticker. At least New Testament is consistent in its own inconsistencies. Or does Christ's redemption only atone for some sins and not others?

• On 27 Feb 2014 in Move to derail High-Speed Rail once and for all closer to ballot, Philistine said:

indigenous says

No public transit system has ever paid for itself

And yet the Fascists got the trains to run on time.

• On 27 Feb 2014 in Move to derail High-Speed Rail once and for all closer to ballot, Philistine said:

Bellingham Bill says

Zipping from Fresno to SF or LA in an hour sounds cool, and it is, but not $200 cool.

LAX to SFO is a cool 70 minutes, for usually $100-150 max. The catch is the time you lose on the all the airport nonsense. (Think LAX to Vegas/McCarren: 4 hours door to door, or 4 hours by car--your pick.)

At what point would they introduce all the TSA security theatre bullshit to HSR, making it just as time-wasting with check in lines, ID lines, luggage and crotch scanner lines, boarding lines, delays, etc.

• On 26 Feb 2014 in Gays here think they have it bad?, Philistine said:

SoftShell says

Yeah, they sure looked like they were hurling the bombs....

Dan8267 says

SoftShell says

Yeah...worked out great for the Romans....

What makes America like Rome just before its fall is the use of the military to achieve imperialistic and trade goals and the use of mercenary groups like Blackwater.

Please! This is easily what your average Pentagon cocktail hour looks like on a Saturday night. I think I see Obama feeding grapes to Cheney.

curious2 says

most of the people who quote Leviticus haven't actually read it

Make sure to cross to the other side of the street when a menstruating woman is walking down the road, and marry your brother's wife if he is killed, or else you don't get the fun of claiming 20:13.

Leviticus is just stuff for Jewish folks, and Christians who oddly do not believe in Christ redeeming them from Old Testament mortality.

• On 26 Feb 2014 in Obamacare's 'Cadillac Tax' Could Help Reduce The Cost Of Health Care, Philistine said:

SoftShell says

Oh, i'm sure the liberal posters have other costumes in the closet they can part with so we can keep the health care pyramid going....

turtledove says

The Cadillac Tax was designed to raise revenue for the ACA and it will. But we cannot continue to be the little Dutch boy with our finger in the dam.

Scrub . . . faster, Little Dutch Boy!

• On 26 Feb 2014 in California Housing Bubble: Now Even Teachers Can No Longer Afford To Buy A Home, Philistine said:

casandra says

teachers get summers off, 3 weeks at Christmas, and one week at Easter, along with every holiday and even some Jewish holidays in the fall referred to as Lincoln's birthday. Even Veterans Day, and MLK. Also they are off by 3 pm each day. After one year teaching the job is easy and has no home time with a good teachers assistant. Every adult teacher and most k12 in LAUSD have a TA.

This is like a vision of 1950s America. Back then, we said they got all these perks because they were getting lousy pay for a college degree.

• On 26 Feb 2014 in California Housing Bubble: Now Even Teachers Can No Longer Afford To Buy A Home, Philistine said:

casandra says

Top for k-12 teachers is around 96 k per year

Right, but that's after 20 years of service or something. If I did the same thing for 20 years, I'd expect to make twice what the starting salaries were. The irony is these jobs are now considered overpaid now that there are no middle class jobs left, yet when I was a kid, teachers were considered poor and wasting their time when they could be in private sector making the $$$$.

• On 26 Feb 2014 in Good News About Housing Recovery Your Kids Will be Living With You for a Long T, Philistine said:

Dan8267 says

People are going to find out just how awkward it is to have two or more sexually active generations living in the same household.

So true. We can romanticize all we want, but living with Dad and Grandma gets a little weird in today's world where Grampa is in an open relationship, Mom dates your friends, and you aren't getting laid because you live at home.

My mom lived with my grandmother for a few months in between houses. I would regularly be in the telephone crossfire of grandma complaining about mom leaving the house with a bag full of lingerie and not coming home til morning, and mom complaining that grandma needed to get a (sex) life.

casandra says

Work for LAUSD [. . .] I made over 75 k my first year teaching.

Very interesting, because their own website says $45k is the starting salary for LAUSD teachers. . . .

http://www.teachinla.com/Research/documents/salarytables/ttableannual.pdf

• On 24 Feb 2014 in Is it time to declare San Francisco, an overrated city?, Philistine said:

rooemoore says

"“If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”

Nah, that's cynical. I think a glib cliché is just as damaging as an overcritical eye.

• On 24 Feb 2014 in Is it time to declare San Francisco, an overrated city?, Philistine said:

Interesting the notation of east coast authenticity versus the west coast pose. Some SoCal curiosities I've noticed, having moved from NYC to LA 6 years ago: valet parking for hamburger joints; sunglasses worn indoors; nobody will drive more than a mile to meet friends, but they'll sit in traffic for 2 hours to go to work; being late is considered on time (if somebody is rude enough to call someone out for being late, "traffic" is always to be blamed); office hours are 10:30 to 4:30; everybody dresses like they are going to the playground when they are going to work, or like they are going grocery shopping when they are going out to dinner.

There's lots of other bizarrities here, but the interpersonal thing is the most corrosive. And last call at 1:30 is an affront to taste and decency.

• On 23 Feb 2014 in The South still lies about the Civil War, Philistine said:

Quigley says

Hydro just got owned by the Captain

"Owned" . . . like a slave?

• On 19 Jan 2014 in Obama says pot no worse than alcohol, Philistine said:

Actually, alcohol is worse than we are lead to believe. It's "interesting" that the ill-health effects of alcohol are not talked about. And most of us are drinking more than we really think we are if you go by the government's standard for how many ounces of beer, wine, or liquor are "one drink".

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 139 milliseconds to create.