comments by Philistine

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Wed, 29 Jun 2016, 11:58am PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 1

Ride the rainbow

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Tue, 28 Jun 2016, 1:04pm PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 2

Tenpoundbass says

We then had to replace our cabinets.

It's a damn shame too, because that was framed in Oak and set in place with the lathe and plaster finish work over the edges. I had to saws all out some damn fine cabinets, and put in some first class crap.

Because you can't buy those ugly solid wood cabinets anymore. It's all prefabbed with crappy maligned mil-work.

"Lathe" and plaster? Do you mean trimwork turned on a lathe, or do you mean lath and plaster? Lath and plaster is used for walls, not trim work, and was replaced by gypsum board in the '40s/'50s and later drywall. What exactly are you trying to say here?

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Mon, 27 Jun 2016, 7:43pm PDT   Like (2)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 3

Simchaland, there is a six stage grieving process for the American Dream. I think you are still in Denial--and I say that sympathetically. 10 years ago when I found PatNet, I was in Denial, too (well, actually, New York City). Look, you have a sweet deal on rent. I don't think you are "freeloading", so much as sitting on a windfall and not counting your blessings.

Like Strategist said, you are going to eventually pay market rent. It's a matter of time. We haven't had our rent raised in 6 years and continue to store our acorns for the winter, but I have no issue with the inevitable day that the LL asks for the favor in return. Meanwhile, we invest our savings as wisely as we are capable of.

After I passed the Denial stage in 2012, prices starting going back up. That's the problem with metro-city areas; they dropped the least after the bubble, and immediately went right back up. By the time I had a 20% DP, it was cash-only-or-FUCK-YOU. So, I could have been stuck at the Acceptance stage, but instead I jumped right ahead to the Move the Fuck out of The City stage. I came from a longtime Southern family, though, so small towns and backroads are not uncomfortable for me. We all travel our own journey.

The end of the grieving process for the American Dream is when you realize we were not born at a time that allowed endless cheap land and opportunity. Our grandparents did not compete with Chinese money or the massive population we now have, nor did they prize metro-city real estate the way we do today. That said, we all have our personal situations, and if you cannot move for personal reasons, perhaps the price you pay is not to own where you live and instead play the renter's game.

I don't see a bubble. Certain markets are definitely going to plateau, or even decline somewhat if there is a recession coming, but SF/NYC/LA/etc. are going nowhere but up.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Wed, 22 Jun 2016, 9:56am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 4

Blurtman says

List of ethnic groups in the United States by household income

Anybody notice this list of countries (not "ethnic groups") details European American but also Portuguese American, Belgian American, Polish American, German American, et al. So WTF is " European American" then--if all the European countries are then duplicated in the "data"? Or is that a euphemism for all the Jews from European countries since they can't be real Germans or real Swiss or whatever?

This list is one of the more bogus pieces of pseudo-knowledge I have seen on Wackopedia.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Tue, 21 Jun 2016, 5:31pm PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 5

Goran_K says

to get to a $300,000+ down payment is going to take many years

Sad but true. The story of a lifetime, perhaps.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Tue, 21 Jun 2016, 9:48am PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 6

Iwog, you didn't eat at the right places. Which is nuts b/c you can trip over good food in NYC. I hope you weren't judging the entire city based on mid-town "by the pound" luncheonettes. A good rule is stay below 23rd in Manhattan, or no further than two neighborhoods out from the river in Brooklyn or Queens. Actually, there's some insane ethnic cuisine further out for the adventurous.

SF has an amazing food scene, no doubt. I actually like the food in Napa/Sonoma even more.

At least NYC and SF don't have the obnoxious restaurant hype that we have in LA.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Thu, 16 Jun 2016, 8:19am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike (2)     Share   Quote   Comment 7

Switzerland does not "require". Non-military citizens have a rigorous licensing process to obtain a gun. Switzerland has conscription to around age 35, which includes a state issued gun.

Is your cartoon suggesting we need conscription in the U.S.?

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Sun, 12 Jun 2016, 10:35am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 8

Ironman says

Morning" beer? Sounds like you have some serious issues

Indeed! My stash is nearly dry and the likka store is at *least* five minutes from here. But thanks for taking my bait. Let's put this all aside and have a nice cold Lagunitas with me, sir!

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Sun, 12 Jun 2016, 10:27am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 9

Where's Gary to tell us this is all fake and gay? A bunch of method actors! Bread and circuses, mein Herr!!

Libbies will use this to ban guns; con-tards will use this to ban Islamofucks. Same shit, different day. Gonna have my Sunday morning Beer now and pretend the world is not this screwed up.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 1:08pm PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 10

turtledove says

take out a bunch of credit cards. Pay off the balance with cash advances. Declare bankruptcy. Discharge the card balances

We've suggested this in the past on PatNet. I always wonder if anybody has ever taken the advice. Would be interesting to know if this works as simply as it does on paper. "He who dies with the most debt wins".

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 10:16am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 11

Shouldn't Florida be getting their annual hurricane gas increase right about now?

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 10:10am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 12

YesYNot says

this guys stupidity

The dumb bitch that gets herself raped at the Jagermeister frat party will be slut-shamed and called out as a cum dumpster, so society doles out its own punishments for stupidity.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Fri, 10 Jun 2016, 9:57am PDT   Like (2)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 13

thunderlips11 says

I'll remember that if I ever sit on a rape case.

Just because someone is not pragmatic about putting themselves in danger does not mean it's their fault if they are victimized--maybe stupid, but not culpable. A crime is a crime; surely you can see the distinction?

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Tue, 7 Jun 2016, 11:24am PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 14

errc says

the latest move being calling the election over on the eve of the last day of voting.

Funny enough my polling station didn't have their voting equipment as of 11 a.m. this morning. We only do this once very two years; why would I expect a bunch of incompetent county clerks to get voting equipment to the site? They offered me a provisional ballot printed on toilet paper which they were stuffing into some kind of leftover Old Milwaukee carton next to the trash cans. Yep, looks like Hillarity bagged this bitch already.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Mon, 6 Jun 2016, 11:28pm PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 15

Patrick says

Russian has only one case and does just fine.

Actually Russian has five cases: nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, and prepositional. Maybe six cases if you count the instrumental case, which I don't remember from college, but whatever.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Fri, 13 May 2016, 9:20am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 16

Alright, but a plane ticket inflation adjusted for the '60s was so much more expensive than it is today. Part of how they made up for it was giving first-class service even in coach.

Interesting Atlantic article about gov't deregulation and internet price competition: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/how-airline-ticket-prices-fell-50-in-30-years-and-why-nobody-noticed/273506/

We can get nostalgic for cold bottomless champagne and hot bottomless stewardesses, but you can still get that in first class and pay about what they paid back then. As for people dressing to go on a flight, it's no longer special and Americans are slobs now.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Fri, 13 May 2016, 8:08am PDT   Like (1)   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 17

Given Congress is just going to be obstructionists and do-nothings while they prove some Republican grudge, Obama basically couldn't give a shit and is acting unilaterally. I would admire his wherewithal to get things done in spite of them, but this is a total waste of time when there are so many more priorities.

He must be trolling the whole country with his Fuck It list.

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Thu, 5 May 2016, 9:51pm PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 18

FortWayne says

Btw Iwog, Hillary promised to kill coal. So if she wins, this is going to be a very short term investment.

Buy the rumour, smell the news!

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Thu, 5 May 2016, 1:09pm PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 19

DieBankOfAmericaPhukkingDie says

The Mexican guy who made it, shit in the taco meat and had his buddies by the grill spit in the guacamole he used.

And you know Manuel shook out a big load in that "sour" cream. Duh, some of my best amigos are Hispanics!!

Philistine   befriend (0)   ignore (1)   Thu, 5 May 2016, 9:52am PDT   Like   Dislike     Share   Quote   Comment 20

Some of the best values in wine today are coming out of Spain. All the traditional European methods and some comparable terroir but with low prices because people are snobby about wine. I happen to love the rustic qualities of some of the traditional Spanish wines, but there are also many very polished wines coming from certain areas such as Ribera del Duero in the last couple decades. Also, while Americans don't generally have a pallet for true sherry (the dry and off-dry styles), Amontillado, Manzanilla, and Oloroso are some of the most flavorful tipples you can get your hands on and pair stunningly with a variety of unusual food combinations.

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best comments   about   source code  

#housing   #investing   #politics   #economics   #humor  
please recommend patrick.net to your friends