Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 8 Aug 2014 in 40 YEARS AGO TONIGHT -- on Aug. 8, 1974, at 9:01 p.m., Philistine said:

BayAreaObserver says

The administration had a thing

Digging the franked Eisenhower stamp. A kind of irony there I can't quite put together.

• On 30 Jul 2014 in Nine Reasons to Love Your Mortgage, Philistine said:

Strategist says

10. It can reduce your taxes.

11. It can give you pride of ownership you don't get with renting.

12. You can live free for 3 years if something goes wrong.

10: I did the math and we still pay $500/mo more after the tax deduction on same house versus what we rent
    11: Sounds like an emotional reason. My emotional reason for renting is security: I can move for jobs (very needed in my industry); ability to save and invest money that I am not being forced to put toward an 85% higher mortgage payment
    12: If something goes wrong, my savings/investments cover my cheap rent twice as long as the 85% higher mortgage payment

Addendum to the above is this in LA. If I lived in FL or TX I would most likely not rent given how much cheaper it is to buy.

• On 29 Jul 2014 in 2015 Real Estate Prediction, Philistine said:

FortWayne says

there are rules to how many tenants a house can have

Blame the Commies and Libbbz!

• On 15 Jul 2014 in and up it goes.., Philistine said:

SubOink says

If I had followed the pat.net lead I would have not bought in 2011

Yes, take it with a grain of salt, but there were voices on here calling a bottom around 2009/2010. They were unpopular voices, but you have to be able to filter good information from bad, and sound analysis from biased hokum.

If you dig through all the malarkey, there is insight here.

• On 11 Jul 2014 in So half of America loves Sarah Palin, Philistine said:

Dan8267 says

the part that says Clinton read the definition and was fully aware of it during the questioning.

I think the crux of this squabble is if it's too precious an assertion that "sexual relations" couldn't possibly refer to any kind of relation which is sexual outside of the ol' hot beef injection.

Some people classify any activity with sexual reproductive areas as "sexual relations". Other people (apparently) only classify one kind of activity as such. Either way, though, his willy was slick. . . .

• On 11 Jul 2014 in Pot legal - Sky not falling, Philistine said:

Mark says

better regulation of pot

Until Phillip-Morris gets ahold of it with their preestablished distribution and means of production: then comes the nicotine, additives, fillers, price fixing, and other sad tales.

• On 10 Jul 2014 in Employers lament: Cannot find qualified workers, Philistine said:

New Renter says

When you see mediocre STEM graduates getting multiple offers watch out!

Forsooth; however, what do we do with all these average people? As Jebus said, the mediocre shall always be with us.

• On 30 Jun 2014 in Hobby Lobby wins Supreme Court case, Philistine said:

This is the free market. If you don't like it, get a different job with another company that will pay for your French ticklers.

• On 29 Jun 2014 in Starter Homes seeing soaring demand - What recession?, Philistine said:

In markets where a house is "only" $200k or less, absolutely. But not everybody wants to work in oil or healthcare.

Ain't there one damn song that can make me . . . break down and cry-yy?

• On 29 Jun 2014 in American teens dont want to work, Philistine said:

komputodo says

I shun the pills and self medicate with TECATE.

Good deal, but ask your doctor about BEEFEATER for better living through booze.

• On 26 Jun 2014 in Ann Coulter turns interest in World Cup into a multiculturalism bashing issue., Philistine said:

corntrollio says

Funny that she tried to equate a cable audience with broadcast. The whole thing reads like something in The Onion.

I thought it was an open secret that she was a satire-comedy performer--the kind that shits on her own audience even as they ask for more. She is the antidote to Camille Paglia.

marcus says

Apparently that shtick does sell books

It turns out the difference between Both Sides is that her audience is too gullible to get the joke and mistakes comedy as drama. Really if you view her as the absurdist harpie that she really is, it's shreds funnier than anything the libbies have going.

• On 25 Jun 2014 in Seattle's really screwed., Philistine said:

marcus says

$50/week back in 1948 is like $500/week now

Well, your inflation conceit is acceptable but compare the numbers and $15/hour is overstated at first blush:

1974, min wage $2.00/hour = CPI $9.65 in 2014 dollars
    1984, min wage $3.35/hour = CPI $7.67 in 2014 dollars
    1994, min wage $4.25/hour = CPI $6.82 in 2014 dollars

So, yes, $7.25 is low (if we accept nominal vs inflation adjusted), but $15/hour is 250% of purchasing power of min wage in 1994; 200% of 1984; and 150% of 1974. My point is $15 seems arbitrary and at worst too high for entry level work, unless we are going to accept that minimum wage erosion has always been with us, at least since the '70s, so why is it suddenly an issue now? I can think of a few reasons.

• On 20 Jun 2014 in Family calls 911 - cops shoot and kill mentally ill girl, Philistine said:

Strategist says

Shit will happen in these situations.

Ah, well!, yes, C'est La Vie! *scent of wine and roses*

Oh, err, um . . . C'est Le Morte!

• On 20 Jun 2014 in College is becoming unaffordable, like housing, Philistine said:

Rin, is there a particular STEM degree that is better to hold as a patent agent?

• On 17 Jun 2014 in The Poverty of Hillary Clinton, Philistine said:

marcus says

Hilary's okay.

And tell me that it's not kind of cool to imagine Bill CLinton back in the Whte House, but as the first gentleman.

The "lesser" of two evils is rapidly becoming less and less "Less".

• On 17 Jun 2014 in Price Index for Meats, Poultry, Fish & Eggs Rockets to All-Time High, Philistine said:

Chicken isn't tracked until 1980 but this thing has been called a "Meat Poultry Fish Eggs" Index since 1967? Was loosey goosey the Other White Meat in 1967?? CPI and this index are both sponsored by BLS, and you are all invited to draw your own conclusions.

• On 12 Jun 2014 in Iwog is a total a**wipe for terminating my participation in his threads., Philistine said:

bgamall4 says

I wonder if he is paid by the New World Order

I highly doubt it considering nobody has given him much credence here. Either that, or the "NWO" is sure namby-pamby at executing their strategy.

• On 12 Jun 2014 in My Experience with Lyft, Philistine said:

Ceffer says

One problem is the taped whining guilt trips played for Boomer customers by the Mill XY Lyft drivers to extort larger tips.

Yet this is perhaps--marginally--more acceptable than the TV screen that is blasting commercials at me for the duration of my taxi cab ride.

• On 12 Jun 2014 in Do you think this may have something to do with the lack of funds for Veterans?, Philistine said:

bob2356 says

who these people actually are? Nah

Bob, quit obfuscating. You know this is the VA janitor roll call. Another case of $200 toilet seats and $300k toilet scrubbers.

• On 9 Jun 2014 in CA should tax real estate, not sales, Philistine said:

mmmarvel says

Nothing to stop you from applying and accepting a job in FL or TX or some other state where taxes are lower than CA

Partly true, but some of us are in industries where most of the jobs are concentrated in SF/LA/NYC. I will have to start a whole new career, getting into an entirely different kind of work, if I wanted a job outside of these coastal traps.

One huge emerging player in my industry is actually relocating their offices from Houston to LA because they can't find enough good people out there or willing to move there.

• On 7 Jun 2014 in Firm suspected of Medicare fraud for penis pumps, Philistine said:

• On 7 Jun 2014 in Money Is A Form Of Social Control And Most Americans Are Debt Slaves, Philistine said:

I've squandered my life working in the "business world" (biznazz?), and it's plain to see that the top level people who could give a shit--the ones who just work For the Love of It--are all hot, busty blondes in their late 40s passing for 32, or daddy's little rich kid plying his hipandcool factor. Yeah, I've seen a few work hard to get big, but I've seen more work hard to get bent.

• On 6 Jun 2014 in "Long story short: price reversion is coming.", Philistine said:

CDon says

Unfortunately, the "when" is gonna screw a lot of people who waited if it turns out anything like this:

EVENT & PATNET COMMENT

2009 Prices 500K Don't buy now, prices are gonna CRASH!
    [. . .]
    2017 Prices 540K SEE I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!

Point taken, but honestly, if prices only went up 8% in 8 years, net of the interim trend, that's pretty small compared to my gains investing the cash--or just the opportunity to save up a downpayment, which can easily take 8+ years for a 540k house. . . .

• On 4 Jun 2014 in PatNe Question of the Day: How Would YOU Assassinate Kim Jung-Un?, Philistine said:

Ceffer says

assassinated by immense hirsute lesbians dancing and sword fighting with knobby strap ons. They could squish a few of the male dancers, too, that would be real spectacle.

I guess I am just a traditionalist.

This sounds like a dream sequence from a Ken Russell film.

• On 4 Jun 2014 in Robots Replacing Warehouse Workers And Fast Food Employees, Philistine said:

Rin says

they thought having a family would be fun and romantic. Now that none of my crowd is in their 20s anymore, there are very few idealistic folks left.

In your mid-30s, if you haven't had kids or bought a house to make you cynical, there's always the alternative of liquor, empty career climbing, bored world travel, and having only each other to stare at every night.

Occasionally, in the throes of ennui, we will do things like make up combinations of our dog's name and the word "burrito", or secretly delete each other's DVR shows while the other is off mixing a drink in the dining room. When we are ultimately replaced by robots, we will have even more time for these desperate peccadillos.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 170 milliseconds to create.