comments by Philistine

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Fri, 4 Sep 2015, 2:24pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

Our company just spent 3 months converting everything to a responsive site. One site for any device; no lost information or funky reformatting. Fuck mobile. That's so 2012.

I rejected apps on the first try. You want my contacts and browsing history in exchange for your pain-in-the-ass app that is going to clutter up my phone??

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Tue, 1 Sep 2015, 12:59pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

socal2 says

The South [. . .] is now much more [. . .] tolerant

LOL, that's some expert trolling!

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 1:20pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 3

Blurtman says

it is curious why Ronstadt, apparently 1/4 German or thereabouts, did not become a polka star instead

In the 1830's, or so, a German settlement took root in Texas and soon they influenced a style of music in Mexican-American culture that sounded vaguely like German polka: Mariachi and Tejano music. It's no coincidence that much of traditional Mexican music shares waltz and polka beats and the accordion. And don't get me going on the Mexican beer thing.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Wed, 29 Jul 2015, 12:50pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

It's not that women are more judgemental--it's that men are *less* judgmental. See here: we'll bang pretty much anything within very loose parameters (yes, pun bought and paid for). Oh, of course, we have minimal standards not to plow the ultra obese or smelly/hairy/manly ones, but, as my mama always said, "Bend 'em over and they all look the same."

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Wed, 15 Jul 2015, 8:52am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

It's in gramma's best interests to blame it on mortgage availability. Takes the heat off the real economic issues that they know they have zero control or understanding of.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Fri, 19 Jun 2015, 4:56pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 6

I think it is instructive that ToB has not replied to any of this, and essentially vanished as quickly as he had appeared.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Thu, 18 Jun 2015, 7:14am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

marcus says

THe Bush's are wasps.

Jeb apparently converted to Catholicism 20 years ago.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Mon, 8 Jun 2015, 12:01pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 8

CaptainShuddup says

He's now bigger than the Courts

Lemme guess. When the courts rule in your favor, it's Justice. When they rule against your interests, it's Judicial Activism. I don't know who this specter of "you fuckers" is. Maybe adjust the tint on your BluBlockers.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Thu, 4 Jun 2015, 10:25am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike (1)     Comment 9

Who said she was mentally ill? Or is that more of that conservative judginess coming out to play?

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Mon, 1 Jun 2015, 9:09am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

The United States currently has a 99% literacy rate. Off the cuff, I'd posit we are more literate than ever. Newspapers are dying because they are a horse and buggy, and local newspapers are the casualties of globalization, which have widened the scope of our "back yard". Family-owned print papers can't compete with the internet and large corporate operations like Gannett. This is like saying because we don't use tickertape anymore that nobody is trading the stock market.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:57am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 11

socal2 says

Conservatives like me joke with our friends how we have to pay California's dysfunction tax to live in a geographic paradise.

So when are all the conservatives going to take over Sacramento and run the liberal vote out of SF and LA and finally fix all our dysfunction?

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Fri, 29 May 2015, 11:50am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (2)     Comment 12

What's worse? Liberal shame or conservative blame? I'm still waiting for this Repub congress to fix the economy. Last I checked, Osama wasn't veto'ing any great legislation on that topic.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Fri, 22 May 2015, 3:39pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 13

PRNDL, don't get me wrong. I think the concept of Christ's sacrifice is a salient difference from most other ancient storytelling. I regard it well on an aesthetic and emotional level. But in the hands of a young one, it is devalued, simplified, and stripped of its richer importance.

The death of Inkidu and Gilgamesh's sorrow of lost friendship is another deeply touching artifact of universal humanity. But reading is so much more than just a story.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Fri, 22 May 2015, 2:22pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike (1)     Comment 14

I think the Bible is a difficult work for young minds. The stories themselves are okay as epic narrative, but the heavier philosophy, poetry, and metaphoric substance, coupled with the fact that many languages (via translation) and writers are involved instead of a single mind and single tongue, make it challenging even as an adult with great life experience. Also, separating the tangled morals from the literary aspects is problematic. I would not want my child to read the Bible for the simple reason that he would not grasp any of the substance and simply reduce it to "God hates fags and Jesus died for us".

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Fri, 22 May 2015, 11:52am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (6)   Dislike (1)     Comment 15

I was reading Dr. Seuss at age three, all of the Lewis Carrol fiction by age six, and 'Bleak House' by 10. I was reading Proust and Tolstoy by 12 or 13. As a result, I am fucked up beyond all repair and have a general distaste for most human society.

Early reading proficiency has a dark side.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Thu, 14 May 2015, 10:33pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 16

Strategist says

Car companies are heavily subsidizing electric cars. Federal and State tax credits also subsidize them.

This I'll grant you. Of course, they wouldn't have to subsidize so much if people wanted them more.

Strategist says

I don't drive luxury cars, and I don't lease,

Leasing is forced forfeiture of your car every 3 years. I keep mine at least 5 years beyond paid-off status (and never buy them new).

Strategist says

Are you sure about the insurance? I thought the Prius would be high, but it was no different than other cars.

I just mean compared to my paid off old car, a new car leased or financed will double my insurance cost.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Thu, 14 May 2015, 6:24pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 17

Strategist says

It's time to get an electric car as the electricity works out at 3 to 4 cents per mile. Imagine your fuel costs at $35.00 per month

Doesn't pencil out for me. The car would be $20,000k (easily more), insurance would double, and I only drive 5000 miles a year @ 21 cents/mile for fuel using current gas prices. I'd essentially pay double my current vehicle expenses to get into an electric car for fuel "savings".

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Tue, 12 May 2015, 11:42am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 18

I can still make a top notch gin Martini in the comfort of my own home for less than $1.50 a drink and I don't have to deal with sassy bartenders, obnoxious bar flies, or DUI's. Also, I don't have to be subjected to some hipster's jukebox selections or LA's baffling 1:45 a.m. closing times.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Mon, 11 May 2015, 11:28am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 19

I've always had 20 year old cars. I buy one-owner cream puffs and try to keep them as new looking/driving as possible. Nobody is embarrassed to ride in my cars to dinner, or scared to go on a road trip in them. I run an avg 50% less than new car expenses would be. If you only make $100k in a town like LA, this is one of the few tricks to still having money at the end of each month to save/invest instead of living paycheck to paycheck.

Philistine   befriend   ignore   Thu, 7 May 2015, 12:33pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 20

I still want to know how this doesn't eventually put auto insurance and traffic police out of business. Or are we saying self-driving cars would not be infallible, hmmmmm?

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best comments   about