Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 20 Apr 2014 in Was Steve Jobs a jerk?, bdrasin said:

Larry Ellison? Jerk.
    Mark Zuckerberg? Jerk
    Jeff Bezos? Jerk

Draw your own conclusions about what kind of personality it takes to build a tech giant.

• On 20 Apr 2014 in Was Steve Jobs a jerk?, bdrasin said:

Yes

• On 20 Mar 2014 in Manhattan Apartment Rents Decline, bdrasin said:

bob2356 says

New Renter says

And the pizza. I hear they have awesome pastrami sandwiches too.

I lived there for the bagels.

It is true; to taste right, a bagel must be boiled in New York City water, preferably from Manhattan below 50th street.

• On 15 Mar 2014 in Dad accused of killing teen found in daughter's room, bdrasin said:

FortWayne says

If some random boy broke into our daughters bedroom, I wouldn't even think twice. BANG!

Fair enough, but if you catch your daughter in bed with a random guy, and she tells you she has no idea who he is or how he got there, you just might want to consider that she might be lying.

• On 15 Mar 2014 in Dad accused of killing teen found in daughter's room, bdrasin said:

The daughter said she didn't know the boy IN HER BEDROOM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!?!? The dad believed her and thought that the boy was an intruder?

In that case, I'd say he has an excellent defense on the basis of diminished mental capacity because you would have to be retarded to believe your daughter under those circumstances.

• On 26 Feb 2014 in Mortgage Applications Drop to 20 Year Low, bdrasin said:

smaulgld says

But new home sales were strong in Jan- cold weather?

Well, at least in my neck of the woods people are buying with cash. No mortgage needed.

• On 23 Feb 2014 in Are there any genuine Obamacare horror stories?, bdrasin said:

Yes, there are genuine Obamacare horror stories: by demagoging and fearmongering Obamacare, in 2010 the Republicans were able to win enough state legislative and gubernatorial elections that they've gerrymandered themselves darn near a permanent house majority and don't have to be responsive to the will of the people. That's a horror story if I've ever heard one.

• On 12 Feb 2014 in Just Admit It: iWog Was 100% Correct in His Predictions!, bdrasin said:

Sure, I'll step forward and take my lumps.

I bought the affordability argument and assumed that prices would continue to drop or stay flat until an average income could afford an average house, if not in San Francisco/Palo Alto/Sausalito at least in the second-tier cities that I was (and am) interested in. I still don't really understand how that is not the case, but I can see the evidence now that it is right in front of my nose. None of us know what the future holds, but up to this time Iwog has been pretty much right on the money.

• On 11 Feb 2014 in Apple, Google, etc actively conspired to keep programmer wages down, bdrasin said:

Dan8267 says

Et tu, Google? Do no evil. Evidently empty words.

In Google's defense, evil is a very well proven business model

• On 11 Feb 2014 in Time for Republicans to threaten to kill the hostage again, bdrasin said:

It now looks like Boner is giving up and will put to vote a clean debt ceiling bill:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/02/11/debt-ceiling-republicans-boehner/5390293/

I hope this is a sign of the fever breaking and the Republicans returning to some semblance of sanity. A man can dream.

• On 7 Feb 2014 in Is San Francisco, the most overvalued US housing market, going to crash?, bdrasin said:

tatupu70 says

CL says

Before Reagan and Bush, ~1 trillion. Afterwards, 4 trillion. A quadrupling of the debt isn't "worse"?

A more appropriate way to look at it would be to look at the budget deficit:

When Bush took office: $50B surplus

When Bush left office: $1.7 T deficit

When Obama took office: $1.7 T deficit

Current budget estimated: $514B deficit

Now, tell me which President has done a better job...

Answer: Obama. Neither party is very good at getting us to pay for what we require the government to do, but the Republicans are the worse of the two. Do I win anything?

• On 7 Feb 2014 in Do investor home sales mask a sick housing market?, bdrasin said:

corntrollio says

bdrasin says

I'm afraid I have to agree, at least for the places I've been looking. Rents are pretty much in line with mortgage payments

Mortgage payments assuming 20% down? That's quite possible, but mortgage payments are not the only cost of buying a house. If you internalize the true cost (including taxes, insurance, transaction costs, opportunity cost, maintenance, etc.), then that's probably not the case everywhere.

I was taking all of this into account, using the "rent/buy" calculator on patrick.net (thanks, Pat!) My statement applies to the areas I've been looking, namely Rockridge, Albany, and Alameda. Results may vary by location.

• On 7 Feb 2014 in Why do ppl promote the lie, 'Money Doesn't Bring Happiness' ?, bdrasin said:

Money is like good health: its presence does not guarantee happiness, but its absence can certainly cause misery.

• On 7 Feb 2014 in Do investor home sales mask a sick housing market?, bdrasin said:

iwog says

The answer is no.

Don't believe me? Look at rents. Most properties are being paid for monthly. The difference between buying it yourself and renting is that when you rent, the landlord takes a cut and gets the equity.

I'm afraid I have to agree, at least for the places I've been looking. Rents are pretty much in line with mortgage payments, which was not the case at all during the mid-2000's runup. I don't understand how, since statistically only a tiny number of people should be able to afford it, but nevertheless that seems to be the case.

• On 1 Feb 2014 in Is San Francisco, the most overvalued US housing market, going to crash?, bdrasin said:

mmmarvel says

wave9x says

I still am baffled why anyone not in the top 1% would vote Republican at this point.

And I'm still baffled why ANYONE would vote for Obama. Didn't understand it on his first election and after four horrible years, didn't understand it on the second election. Only the WORST president ever (and I'm old enough to have lived through some really bad ones - Nixon and Carter come immediately to mind).

Sounds like you are pretty out of touch with the values of this country. I'd take a look in a mirror if I were you.

• On 22 Jan 2014 in Is San Francisco, the most overvalued US housing market, going to crash?, bdrasin said:

Well, I guess The Big One could hit, wreck everything and and turn SF into an island. Other than that you got me.

• On 17 Jan 2014 in America's horrid results in paid parental leave, bdrasin said:

Jesus, in Estonia you get 108 weeks of paid leave? That just might get me to have another kid...

• On 16 Jan 2014 in This is your last chance......., bdrasin said:

JodyChunder says

rooemoore says

I have a friend who owns a condo in SF but is applying for a job in Indianapolis. He tells me the city is a lot nicer than it is given credit for and that the cost of living is about 45% lower than the BA.

All true. Some really fine residential architectural gems, there, too. I will say, however, that the weather is pretty tough to take. Very very cold, and muggy in the summers.

I can't agree with the first part. I grew up in Indiana and we used to call it "India-noplace" or "Naptown". But yes the climate totally sucks.

• On 15 Jan 2014 in This is your last chance......., bdrasin said:

New Renter says

edvard2 says

What's more, most of the jobs I applied for were offering as little as 50% of what I had made in the BA.

How did that lower salary look when the lower cost of housing and tax bracket were factored in? Do these places perhaps offer a more reasonable lifestyle than what you might have here in the SBA? You might actually get to work *only* 40- hours a week. You might *only* have spend a total of 1/2 hr in your commute.

The more people that flee to such places the more the talent pool grows. That will attract more employers and VC money.

Yes, I've looked at the possibility of relocating my family to a lower cost area in the Midwest or South and even with the lower salary I think we would be materially better off. Just as an example, I was talking to a company in Indianapolis and the salary range they were talking about was 80 - 100k which would be a 17-30% base salary cut, but with the lower income taxes it would be more like a 7-20% cut and I could buy a nice big house in a good neighborhood for 300k or less. The main drawbacks for me would be in lifestyle (no public transportation, not much to do) and culture.

• On 12 Jan 2014 in Feds spend $224K for custom-fit condoms study, bdrasin said:

Condoms are incredibly effective (albeit not perfect) at reducing unwanted pregnancy and STD transmission. If we the taxpayers can spend some money to develop more comfortable condoms, and therefore condoms that people are more likely to use then yes I think its money VERY well spent. And if we can do it for a quarter million then I think its a bargain and we'd be idiots not to do it.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 182 milliseconds to create.