comments by bdrasin

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 11:17am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 1

Tipping is fucking awful. If you were to explicitly pay your employees in the way tippers do it would be illegal:

- women servers paid more than men (particularly young, conventionally attractive women)
- white servers paid more than minorities
- tall servers more than short servers
- extra pay for physical contact/flirting

Still, that's the system we have. If you don't tip it just makes you a cheap asshole.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Wed, 19 Aug 2015, 4:33pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 2

I don't have a problem with someone who wants to be an artist, or of someone getting an expensive degree in art providing that they (or their families) can afford it and that's what they want to spend their money on. But borrowing medical school/law school money to get such a degree makes no sense and we shouldn't support it. Artists don't make doctor/lawyer money.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Tue, 18 Aug 2015, 5:00pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 3

iwog says

Only part of it was, and the meta-study used the same flawed methodology that has infected this entire discussion.

Here's a simplified best case scenario:

Here's the worst case scenario:

This is a really good video. I don't know what the real number is (and neither does anyone else) but this seems like a fair interpretation of the data.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Mon, 27 Jul 2015, 6:32am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

Dan8267 says

Women need to behave in masculine ways in order to be seen as competent—but women are expected to be feminine. So women find themselves walking a tightrope between being seen as too feminine to be competent, and too masculine to be likable.

Complete bullshit. I've been in STEM for my entire career. I don't look at male or female coworkers as potential mates or sexual beings. Corporations are sexless work environments and have been since at least the 1990s. In any professional environment you are expected to keep your personal life separate from your professional life.

I think it varies a lot by workplace. There are some startups where the entire company culture is set by the 20-something male founders and frat-type antics are de rigueur; lots of partying, weekend road trips to Tahoe, etc. A woman would probably have trouble fitting in at such a place, as would most men over the age of, say, 35 or anyone with a family. My employer (largest tech employer in San Francisco) is, I really think, extremely friendly to female employees; on my current team of ten exactly five are women for example.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Tue, 21 Jul 2015, 9:21am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

I think the Republican will actually put a hit out on Trump if he's still leading next spring. Not figuratively. He's probably the only candidate who could damage their brand even further at this point

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Sun, 19 Jul 2015, 4:15pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

Deleted several posts about national politics, The Donald, etc. which had nothing to do with the O.P.

The reason I gave money to a Republican in this particular case is that he is running against an incumbent commonwealth attorney who prosecuted a man whom she knew (or ought to have known) was innocent, and worked to suppress or withhold evidence which proved that he was telling the truth and his accuser was lying. Tracci doesn't sound like a perfect choice, in the past he's bloviated about Benghazi and other standard-issue republican canards but that doesn't prove he won't be able to function competently as a prosecutor. Unlike the incumbent who's proven that she can't do the job (in fact, she's a menace to Justice). If the new guy turns out to be no good as well then they can replace him next election too; that's how it goes.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Sun, 19 Jul 2015, 10:22am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

Ok, I've found it: http://www.roberttracci.com/. I've made my donation.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Fri, 17 Jul 2015, 8:46am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 8

Have a great trip! If you have time and want a recommendation, this is my favorite restaurant in the city: http://olla-de-felix-buenos-aires.com/

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Sun, 5 Jul 2015, 8:07pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 9

Good movie overall. Hardy was barely tolerable as max, but Theron was magnificent as were most of the other characters. Ending felt like a bit of a let down in contrast to the epic final scenes of Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Thu, 30 Apr 2015, 7:05am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

I sure hope not

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Fri, 12 Sep 2014, 3:07am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 11

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Fri, 20 Jun 2014, 2:12am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

Question: How many Bush administration officials does it take to replace a broken lightbulb?

Answer: There's nothing wrong with that bulb!

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Mon, 16 Jun 2014, 2:15am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 13

iwog says

Paralithodes says

That's pretty interesting. Can you please provide a direct link or reference showing that Austrians envision selling Corvettes profitably to an isolated tribe on a Pacific Island?

The Austrian cultists "Reality" and indigenous didn't challenge it because they believe innovation creates demand. This dogmatic nonsense can be extended to the example I gave above.

They wont talk about it because they don't acknowledge the need for customers. Customers are assumed to be ever present with unlimited resources.

Its not really that complicated though, is it? The island dictator/oligarch and his family will each buy a whole fleet of cars so that they can cruise their dominion in style. They also will probably frequently crash because they will be drunk. There's your demand.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Fri, 6 Jun 2014, 2:52am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

donjumpsuit says

EVENT & RELATED COMMENT

2009 Prices 500K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

2010 Prices 515K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

2011 Prices 530K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

2012 Prices 570K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

2013 Prices 650K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

2014 Prices 680K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

2015 Prices 710K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

2016 Prices 740K Don't buy now, rents and incomes unchanged!

Rents are going up by a lot where I live. If my landlady decides to sell or we have to leave for another reason we'll have to move to the styx or roughly double what we are paying now.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Fri, 30 May 2014, 2:24pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 15

Punk isn't dead, but it's sure grown old and cranky and a bit senile I think

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Thu, 29 May 2014, 5:26pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 16

curious2 says

bdrasin says

rootvg says

When it becomes legal to walk in the Castro with a forty five on my hip, we'll KNOW something big is happening.

Is it just me or does that sound a bit...I don't know...GAY?

Not only that, but he needs a 45 in order to feel "big".

That's not a gun in his pocket - he's just glad to see you.

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Thu, 29 May 2014, 3:25am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (4)   Dislike     Comment 17

rootvg says

When it becomes legal to walk in the Castro with a forty five on my hip, we'll KNOW something big is happening.

Is it just me or does that sound a bit...I don't know...GAY?

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:14pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 18

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

Where or where are the Immense Hirsute Lesbians?

Dunno. Driving the google shuttle?

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:13pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 19

in 2009-2010 82% of CS Bachelor's degree graduates were men, and by ethnicity only 5.3% hispanic, 3.4% african american. For Master's degree in CS its 79% male, only 1.3% black, 1.8% hispanic. I'm not saying there isn't any gender or race discrimination anywhere in tech, but it really looks to me like Google is just hiring the people they can get.

http://cra.org/uploads/documents/resources/taulbee/CS_Degree_and_Enrollment_Trends_2009-10.pdf

bdrasin   befriend   ignore   Sun, 20 Apr 2014, 4:54am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 20

Larry Ellison? Jerk.
Mark Zuckerberg? Jerk
Jeff Bezos? Jerk

Draw your own conclusions about what kind of personality it takes to build a tech giant.

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net