Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 7 Feb 2014 in Do investor home sales mask a sick housing market?, bdrasin said:

corntrollio says

bdrasin says

I'm afraid I have to agree, at least for the places I've been looking. Rents are pretty much in line with mortgage payments

Mortgage payments assuming 20% down? That's quite possible, but mortgage payments are not the only cost of buying a house. If you internalize the true cost (including taxes, insurance, transaction costs, opportunity cost, maintenance, etc.), then that's probably not the case everywhere.

I was taking all of this into account, using the "rent/buy" calculator on patrick.net (thanks, Pat!) My statement applies to the areas I've been looking, namely Rockridge, Albany, and Alameda. Results may vary by location.

• On 7 Feb 2014 in Why do ppl promote the lie, 'Money Doesn't Bring Happiness' ?, bdrasin said:

Money is like good health: its presence does not guarantee happiness, but its absence can certainly cause misery.

• On 7 Feb 2014 in Do investor home sales mask a sick housing market?, bdrasin said:

iwog says

The answer is no.

Don't believe me? Look at rents. Most properties are being paid for monthly. The difference between buying it yourself and renting is that when you rent, the landlord takes a cut and gets the equity.

I'm afraid I have to agree, at least for the places I've been looking. Rents are pretty much in line with mortgage payments, which was not the case at all during the mid-2000's runup. I don't understand how, since statistically only a tiny number of people should be able to afford it, but nevertheless that seems to be the case.

• On 1 Feb 2014 in Is San Francisco, the most overvalued US housing market, going to crash?, bdrasin said:

mmmarvel says

wave9x says

I still am baffled why anyone not in the top 1% would vote Republican at this point.

And I'm still baffled why ANYONE would vote for Obama. Didn't understand it on his first election and after four horrible years, didn't understand it on the second election. Only the WORST president ever (and I'm old enough to have lived through some really bad ones - Nixon and Carter come immediately to mind).

Sounds like you are pretty out of touch with the values of this country. I'd take a look in a mirror if I were you.

• On 22 Jan 2014 in Is San Francisco, the most overvalued US housing market, going to crash?, bdrasin said:

Well, I guess The Big One could hit, wreck everything and and turn SF into an island. Other than that you got me.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 655 milliseconds to create.