Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 31 Oct 2014 in Generation X- The Recession's Lost Generation of Homeowners, Indiana Jones said:

Peter P says

Mostly technology, but not necessarily as techies.

My friends are of many different professions - architects, social workers, graphic artists, artists, alternative medicine practitioners, psychotherapists, landscape designers, personal chefs, fitness instructors, etc. and it is harder as the salaries tend to be lower than in tech companies and it is challenging to keep up with the cost of living here, though everyone's experience is different. My observation is that overall in the Bay Area, if you are working in a finance or tech company, depending on your life circumstances and salary, it usually means it is a bit easier to get by. That and government jobs.

• On 31 Oct 2014 in Generation X- The Recession's Lost Generation of Homeowners, Indiana Jones said:

Peter P says

ive in the Bay Area, of course.

Well then, we must be traveling in different circles then. Are your friends techies, finance, or other professions?

CaptainShuddup says

The Generation X, my Generation were a bunch of pompous materialistic asses. Don't forget we swooned over Madonna when she sang "Material Girl".

Let's not forget Madonna is a Boomer. Yes, I was a teenage getting told over and over on the radio and TV that we were living in a "material world", by Boomers driving around in their BMWs and their 4 bedroom homes. We were also told our standard of living was supposed to be better than our parents. I think a lot of Gen Xers are still trying to make that happen, against all odds.

New Renter says

Your friends must not be in "tech".

Out of my old school friends, some of them do work for tech. One of them had an unbearable IT govt. job and last year went to a private tech company with a $50k pay cut. Their family is facing default on the short sale house they bought in 2008, even after cashing out one of their 401Ks. Ouch that hurts. Other techie friends are renting.

I live in Marin now and most Gen-Xers own here, but many of them are not from the Bay Area, and most of them do have at least one spouse working in Tech or Finance. The story I hear here in Marin often is parents helped out with the downpayment.

Peter P says

However, I don't think the Gen-X-ers are suffering as homeowners. Among my Gen-X friends, I am the only one who does not own multiple homes.

I don't know where you live, but the only Bay Area people I know who have multiple homes are Boomers or Silent Generation. The most I've personally seen with a Gen Xer is a time share. (of course I don't run with the rich crowd -- I am talking middle class -- I am sure it is different in more elite circles)

• On 30 Oct 2014 in Generation X- The Recession's Lost Generation of Homeowners, Indiana Jones said:

As a Gen Xer from the Bay Area, most of my "middle class" friends who own homes are struggling. Things such as being underwater and unable to sell, losing jobs, getting pay cuts or getting jobs at lower salaries than previously, having to rely on credit cards to get by, short selling homes, foreclosing, cashing out 401Ks to get by, etc. The rest just never bought and are now unable to pay the high prices, despite working their butts off.

The only ones not struggling bought before 2004, have had financial assistance from family, or have taken over their parents home.

• On 30 Oct 2014 in Discovered: The best time of day to get work done, Indiana Jones said:

While this may be true for the majority of people, not everyone has the same bio-rhythms and circadian body clock. Some people are much clearer, more creative and more productive in the evening or at night.

So Thoreau was right after all. Who knew? The writer who coined the phrase, "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away", apparently was on to something.

• On 7 Oct 2014 in Why Does the US News Media Suck So Badly?, Indiana Jones said:

dublin hillz says

Indiana Jones says

Behave this way, think this way, see how cool this is?, violence is okay, you

are not adequate in some way, you should look like this, eat this, like that,

hate this, etc... All these messages are in the "content" of television. They

did a study a ways back and found out people had more feelings of inadequacy

after watching 15 minutes of television.

Some of these things can be blunted by:

1) Using DVR for contents that has advertising.

2) Watching pay channels that don't have commercias (HBO, showtime)

3) Watching neflix where one is in absolute control of content as well as the time that the program is watched.

None of these are perfect but each approach will greatly reduce the impact of advertisers/marketers.

I agree doing these things will alleviate the intensity of the consumerism push, but there is still the "content" -- the actual shows you are watching that are pushing particular ideas. They don't call it "programming" for nothing.

We as humans are so susceptible to the programming since books, movies and television have taken the place of the storytellers in our past. The storytellers told us our past, explained our present and guided into our future through metaphors, allegory, symbology, fables, koans, etc.

Hollywood is now our storyteller. Our past is what Hollywood says it is and Hollywood guides our future. How quickly they come out with a movie after a major event occurs -- it's mere months before you can watch it on TNT. And to glimpse the future, watch the sci-fi's. Think Minority Report's drones or Terminator's "google glass" ability.

Keep the critical thinking cap on.

• On 6 Oct 2014 in Why Does the US News Media Suck So Badly?, Indiana Jones said:

The media news sucks because they don't intend it to be fair or impartial--it's Propaganda. Covert propaganda. Different countries will tolerate different levels of overtness in the propaganda. Americans are too independent and educated to accept overt propaganda, like China for instance, so they have to hide it between the lines.

Television itself is a blend of blunt marketing by way of commercials, designed to make you feel inadequate so you will make purchases to feel better temporarily, and subtle propaganda in the news and tv shows. Whether a drama, news, comedy, entertainment show etc. it is on the screen to manipulate you in some way.

Behave this way, think this way, see how cool this is?, violence is okay, you are not adequate in some way, you should look like this, eat this, like that, hate this, etc... All these messages are in the "content" of television. They did a study a ways back and found out people had more feelings of inadequacy after watching 15 minutes of television.

Seek out alternative media and use your critical thinking skills. Don't immediately accept any story in the mainstream news media at face value before doing your own research on it.

• On 2 Oct 2014 in Joshua Wong: Unlikely celebrity emerges from the Hong Kong protests, Indiana Jones said:

"Supposedly the whole reason we "globalized" China is to bring Western style moderation and a degree of personal freedom. But its own best and brightest have merely taken the money and high-tailed it to Vancouver, BC!"

Don't tell me you fell for the "We will bring Democracy!" trick again. That trick has been played over and over yet so many still fall for it.

There is freedom now in China post-communism-- the freedom of Money! The freedom of the powerful and rich to dictate the terms and rob the masses. Sounds like a fascist state hiding behind the ruse of democracy. Sounds like Failed-Capitalism. Sounds like the USA.

China never had true communism by the way, it was a fascist state hiding behind the ruse of communism. Only the name has changed, not the game.

• On 2 Oct 2014 in Joshua Wong: Unlikely celebrity emerges from the Hong Kong protests, Indiana Jones said:

Where are you, American Version of Joshua Wong? We need you now!

• On 16 Sep 2014 in Three Huge Towers Fell on 9/11/2001, Indiana Jones said:

all you doubters - just watch the video already. Jeez.

• On 16 Sep 2014 in Having children in an overpopulated world, Indiana Jones said:

Well, Islam's literal translation is 'submission', after all.

I wait for the day for humans to wake up to the fact that the major religions are here to control, use and abuse. Look at the actions, not the rhetoric. And I am not an atheist.

• On 16 Sep 2014 in Having children in an overpopulated world, Indiana Jones said:

We didn't get to this population because women wanted to spend their entire child-bearing years popping out a babe every year or two. There really was no other option besides abstinence and back-alley abortions before birth control methods of the last century. Now that there are ways to stop pregnancy, and as long as religion gets out of the way, and women have access to birth control, the population has the chance of leveling off.

And thankfully catholic women are not being "Good Catholics" and following the ban on use of contraceptives.

"Among all women who have had sex, 99 percent have ever used a contraceptive method other than natural family planning. This figure is virtually the same, 98 percent, among sexually experienced Catholic women."

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/Religion-and-Contraceptive-Use.pdf

People will still get pregnant even with "perfect" use of contraceptives.

• On 11 Sep 2014 in 13th Anniversary of Twin Tower Demolition., Indiana Jones said:

The Professor says

Indiana Jones says

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/09/911-at-least-this-aspect-of-it-was-not-an-inside-job.html

Very Interesting! This explains it!

I knew building 7 had a built in thermite self destruct system. Now that they admitted to blowing up WTC7 can they admit to blowing up the twin towers so we can move on?

The govt. will only admit to it when it doesn't matter anymore. Notice how no one cares about Building 7 being demolished? Because of of the massive lie campaign, most people have already decided what happened on that day and will miss the truth, even when the article is presented in front of them! It doesn't matter anymore that they blew up the building 7 and then lied about it! That was sooo 13 years ago!

We are all on to Jennifer Lawrence's leaked nudie pics, or wait, that was sooo yesterday!

• On 11 Sep 2014 in Death doesn't scare Americans as much as debt, Indiana Jones said:

Heraclitusstudent says

Which may explain why suicides numbers are going up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/health/suicide-rate-rises-sharply-in-us.html?_r=0

This is the most depressing yet honest article I've read in a long time.

• On 11 Sep 2014 in 13th Anniversary of Twin Tower Demolition., Indiana Jones said:

iwog says

The Professor says

No informed scientists think that the TWO airplanes brought the THREE buildings down.

So you dismiss the 95% of scientists, most of whom are REAL demolition experts, because..................you don't agree with them.

That allows you to make the dishonest statement you did?

Link for the 95%?

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/09/911-at-least-this-aspect-of-it-was-not-an-inside-job.html

Very convincing case for controlled demolition of bldg 7, but conclusion of this author is that the government "misspoke", or that is was only a little white lie since no persons died in the building demo.

Lying about a pre-meditated controlled demolition of a whole building in the midst of a national crisis and blaming it on natural causes? Seems like a big deal to me.

• On 11 Sep 2014 in Death doesn't scare Americans as much as debt, Indiana Jones said:

The Religion of Money keeps humanity in fear, conflict and servitude. If you start with the concept of scarcity you end up with struggle.

• On 11 Sep 2014 in 53% of Chinese Expect War With Japan, Indiana Jones said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/02/world/asia/japan-moves-to-permit-greater-use-of-its-military.html?_r=0

Japan is building its military with America's blessing. From the article:

"TOKYO — Japan’s prime minister announced a reinterpretation of the country’s pacifist Constitution on Tuesday, freeing its military for the first time in over 60 years to play a more assertive role in the increasingly tense region.

The decision by the government of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will permit Japan to use its large and technologically advanced armed forces in ways that would have been unthinkable even a decade ago when they were limited to defending the country. The revision will allow the military to come to the aid of friendly countries under attack, including the United States."

I also find this last paragraph interesting in light of the neo-fascism creeping back into our world:

“Japan is experiencing a security renaissance,” said Andrew L. Oros, director of international studies at Washington College in Chestertown, Md. “What is remarkable is not that things are changing, but that they are changing with so little fanfare.”

• On 30 Aug 2014 in YES to affordable housing in our backyards, Indiana Jones said:

Are saying the poor are lazy, and so therefore deserve a separate entrance from the rich folk?

lostand confused says

Indiana Jones says

"Poor doors" are discriminatory and based on socio-economic status. This isn't the South before the civil rights era, this is 2014, NYC, and the "separate entrance" is actually being justified as a good way to get new units to be allowed.

The physical division between the have and have-nots will get worse if there is not an uproar to this "back of the bus" discrimation.

You either can afford to buy a house or can't buy. if you need gubmnt assistance-0you do what I tell you, before I put money into your begging bowl. What is so complex about it. How does lazyism equate to discrimination??

• On 30 Aug 2014 in YES to affordable housing in our backyards, Indiana Jones said:

"Poor doors" are discriminatory and based on socio-economic status. This isn't the South before the civil rights era, this is 2014, NYC, and the "separate entrance" is actually being justified as a good way to get new units to be allowed.

The physical division between the have and have-nots will get worse if there is not an uproar to this "back of the bus" discrimation.

• On 23 Aug 2014 in NFL Bans Hot Sauce Ads Over Domestic Violence Concerns, Indiana Jones said:

Why not "Kick Ya Papa"? First you are so delighted your father cooks you anything, so you give him a nice kick in the ass, then a sweet smack on the cheek as a thank you.

Could their response be more disingenuous?

• On 23 Aug 2014 in Police Officer: I kill everyone equally, Indiana Jones said:

Philistine says

Strategist says

or we happen to have too many bad people?

As humans we are neither bad nor good, yet we are all capable of bad actions.

This is not true. I wish it was. There are people who are primary psychopaths, meaning they do not have the same emotional feedback as other humans. They can kill mercilessly and feel nothing. It may even feel good to them.

This cop either is schizophrenic or a psychopath. Either way he needs to be taken out of a position of authority. If he is schizophrenic he can maybe be helped with the right treatment. A primary psychopath has little hope of rehabilitation.

In times when psychopaths did not rule our world, the inherently good people took the psychopath and either ostracized or killed him for the good of humanity.

• On 23 Aug 2014 in Chronic shortages of housing supply inflates California house prices, Indiana Jones said:

Otherwise known as boomers yelling: I GOT MINE!

• On 23 Aug 2014 in Report: Impact of unaffordable housing on San Mateo County, Indiana Jones said:

From the article:

"RECOMMENDATIONS to the leaders of the State of
    California, San Mateo County, and local jurisdictions

If California is to rebuild a strong and diverse economy that includes low- and moderate-income households, the state must reinvest in affordable homes and develop responsive policy. Simply allowing a broken housing market to run its course is impoverishing and driving away our low-wage workforce, undermining GHG-reduction goals, and forcing seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities into shelters and emergency rooms, costing local governments five to ten times more in service costs."

I hate to be the cynic, but I am sure this report will have zero impact on the "broken housing market" running its course. They've done nothing so far.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 123 milliseconds to create.