Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 15 Apr 2014 in Evictions from rent controlled apts in LA surging, dublin hillz said:

There's "shadow inventory" in the rental market as well known as the max capacity that landlords can fill. In SFBA, I believe that max is 2 per bedroom +1 in the living room which means that max capacity for example is 3 people in 1BD, 5 people in 2bd, etc. My guess is that LLs will be filling this capacity and its gonna get really ugly once it's filled up due to rarity of new construction.

• On 15 Apr 2014 in Is this Romney's 47%?, dublin hillz said:

True moochers are 18% - http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/story/2012/09/18/who-are-the-47/57802074/1

• On 15 Apr 2014 in Is this Romney's 47%?, dublin hillz said:

It's the fault of the roman dogs and their lackeys from the biblical times. They set a precedent for this!

• On 15 Apr 2014 in The rent is too high in every city in America, dublin hillz said:

edvard2 says

dublin hillz says

You must admit that rising salaries/compensation does result in higher cost of living especially in societies where people tend to "live for today" and saving is not inherently present. Look how well compensated employees in SFBA drove up the cost of housing both on rent and buy side.

I totally agree. I mean- look at how well everyone in some of those 3rd world countries making $1 a day do. We should all be inspired to aim for that level. Paying people more is the real problem here. Like I said- pay people a lot less and we'll all be so much better off.

Over in 3rd world hellholes, the problem is different - when 80% or so are making basically nothing, they effectively can't compete against each other so the power resides purely with the entrenched generational aristocrats. Over here where the variability of incomes is high, the pressure is to live as well as possible even if it means going above your means and stretching your budget to the moon to show that you have "made it". Which means that access to money/options will result in prices being bid up. Additionally in places like SFBA, a region that is well coveted, there is often migration inflow on both upper end and lower end of income scale. With new development opportunities in RE being rather limited, a population inflow will result in higher buy/rent regardless of which income scale will inflow. If it's the rich gliterrati, it will result in nice "trickle down" form of price increases where they displace who was there previously while the latter will do the same thing to those below them and so forth. On the other hand if it's going be mostly the poor moving in, well unless they are gonna be homeless, they have to "live somewhere" so the LLs are gonna assume that they will double up and live a good old communal apartment soviet lifestyle. Which will also result in prices going up via people living like sardines.

• On 15 Apr 2014 in The rent is too high in every city in America, dublin hillz said:

edvard2 says

errc says

Yes indeed, the economic rent is too damned high in Everywhere, America. Do not fret. The statists are pushing for higher minimum wages so that the landlords can raise the rents, and forcing everyone to purchase health insurance, so everything will be better. I mean, come on! Look at my 401k! Bazinga

Oh that makes soooo much sense. You know what the problem is? Those folks flippin' burgers make too much money. If everyone got paid less then they would have less money to spend and so all the people who sell stuff would have to lower their prices and cut employees and make less money. That's the real answer: don't aim high, aim low so that everyone can come closer due to everyone becoming equally poor. Great plan.

You must admit that rising salaries/compensation does result in higher cost of living especially in societies where people tend to "live for today" and saving is not inherently present. Look how well compensated employees in SFBA drove up the cost of housing both on rent and buy side.

• On 14 Apr 2014 in The rent is too high in every city in America, dublin hillz said:

No worries, they will still spend $10.50 on a beer at a ballpark and stimulate the economy...

• On 14 Apr 2014 in "Cosmos" irritates the God-botherers, dublin hillz said:

One thing that we can definitely agree upon is that there is no "heaven for G." Thus, tupac lied.

• On 14 Apr 2014 in 2016 Dream Team, dublin hillz said:

Iosef V HydroCabron says

What about the Chair of the State Board of Equalization?

And who will head up efforts to suppress individual responsibility and self-reliance?

Probably gonna be some millenial who mastered the art of individuality by using groupthink of social media apps...

• On 11 Apr 2014 in Middle Class was "Fed" to the Sharks, dublin hillz said:

Peter P says

A great society does not pursue certainty for its people, rather, it embraces
    uncertainty

I agree from a spiritual semi-buddhist perspective regarding personal development, but not necessarily from a concrete societal perspective. Certain things need to be stable such as chances of employment to buy and pay off primary residence and regarding pensions/social security parts of retirement - these things are rooted in certainty and enhance security/order.

control point says

Well then, most people are taking risk to seek return - in which case, they
    deserve the consequences if things go south

Why would people get an annuity and give up control of their own money and tie it up when they can simply set up a balanced stocks/bond fund portfolio and utilize the 4% withdrawal rate adjusted for inflation? It's almost impossible to run out of money this way. Seems to me like annuities and their so called "guarantees" are completely unjustified.

• On 11 Apr 2014 in Under-$4 gasoline prices fade down memory lane, dublin hillz said:

They will try to cross the $4.40 per gallon once again. However, in the past it affected consumer spending and prices retreated. Lets see what happens this time. Hopefully, we won't end up like europe where they are pushing $7 per gallon and have toll roads everywhere.

Reality says

tatupu70 says

Why would cheap money cause you to loan it to people that you knew couldn't pay it back?

At 5% bank interest rate, a retired grandma with $1M in savings and whatnot left to her from her deceased husband could live a reasonably comfortable life with interest from savings. When that interest rate was forced down to 1%, the same grandma would be facing starvation if she does not put her money towards much more risky investment vehicles to chase higher returns. The Wall Street sharks were waiting for her with just the right rip-off schemes when their FED friends forced down the interest rate that she had been getting.

It sucks that her guaranteed interest rate went down, but her plan B should have been to put money into 60/40 stocks bonds portfolio represented by low cost index mutual funds and withdraw 4% per year. If she were to have withdrawn $40Gs per year in principal, chances are very good that she would outlive her money.

• On 10 Apr 2014 in The more things change, the more things stay the same..., dublin hillz said:

Classic american dillemma - not have to buy insurance but be locked out due to preexisting conditions cause you were free riding all along - or - not be able to free ride but having to fork over hundreds per month in "individual marketplace" unless you are broke as a joke. God bless america!

• On 10 Apr 2014 in Cops Blow Gardener the Fuck Away for Terrorizing Lawn With Water, dublin hillz said:

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

The victim's family should be able to behead the cops in public and fuck the bloody gushing stumps.

I think you may have made an accidental mistake - you meant to say that the cops should be able to whack the remaining family members and fornicate the blood stumps. Only then will we learn the true meaning of freedom and security.

• On 10 Apr 2014 in Fed member exasperated by inflation warnings, dublin hillz said:

HEY YOU says

I'm all for inflation. It great paying more for purchases even if my income doesn't increase.
    If we all overpay for shit shacks maybe that will boost inflation.

Just got my papers from the state. I'm a Certified Idiot.

There's a certain "think tank" in society that believes that 5% of the people own all the assets and everyone else lives check to check. Thus, they believe that this 95% won't give a damn about inflation since they have no savings and the rich will be threatened by inflation to engage in productive investment lest their assets become worthless. This "think tank" won't mind if our dollar becomes as "valuable" as a mexican peso. Furthermore, if there's an accidental middle classer out there with savings, then they are just collateral damage to be sacrificed on the altar of the golden calf.

• On 10 Apr 2014 in Middle Class was "Fed" to the Sharks, dublin hillz said:

If the jews were to have genuinely accepted Jesus instead of blindly following the powers that were "the pharisees" like the fox news viewers none of this would be happening right now.

• On 10 Apr 2014 in Other NATO countries need to pay their fair share, dublin hillz said:

Heraclitusstudent says

America invests a lot to be powerful and wields that power. This is not done as
    an act of charity for anyone. This is done strictly to profit the US

Agreed - the united states is not doing this out of altruistic or selfless motives. This is consistent with the fact that we are the most individualistic society in the world (not concidentally Britain is #2 and our closest ally). However, I don't think that western europeans would tell us to buzz off as casually as you are implying and if they really had moral qualms with our conduct as you are alluding then they would have told us by now that they don't need our "protection" and instead handle their own biz in a manner that's consistent with their cultural norms and values. That fact that they don't speaks volumes in it of itself and hence they should pay their fair share.

• On 10 Apr 2014 in Student goes on knife rampage; nobody killed, dublin hillz said:

The doctor from the pittsburgh area did not seem at all distressed - looks like an actor from a latino soap. Hribal, the "perpertrator" looks like an offspring on one of soviet spetsnaz soldiers - they were trained in terrorist psyops - one of their avenues is to create internal dissension through propaganda and other means. I have no choice but to conclude that this "attack" was orchestrated to further the anti gun sentiments of americans in order for the soviet empire to rise again. Notice how all of a sudden 1 day after this they want to charge gorbachev with "treason" for the disollution of soviet union...

• On 9 Apr 2014 in Student goes on knife rampage; nobody killed, dublin hillz said:

Iosef V HydroCabron says

False flag: The Fed did this!

Cui bono?

This was definitely a false flag by the anti american anti gun zealots who won't stop until america abandons football and starts going to soccer games instead. In other words, they won't stop until we are just like western europe. I am going to carefully scrutinize every single person on tv just to see how many actors I can spot.

• On 9 Apr 2014 in Other NATO countries need to pay their fair share, dublin hillz said:

Heraclitusstudent says

You make it sound like other countries are getting something out of this
    power while not paying for it. What? A bigger share of Iraq, or
    Afghanistan?
    You can keep that, thank you.

In geopolitics, potentiality is just as critical as actuality. Thus, it pays to have the right friends and allies. This ain't about what the nato members are getting out of iraq and afghanistan booty, it's about the fact that the implicit guaranteed protection from united states in the event of potential attack from russia, china, iran or some nuclear power "stan" results in an enormous peace dividend for them which is further magnified by the fact that they are not paying their fair share. Additionally, this lack of investment allows them to invest resources in other areas such as social welfare and safety nets and in these 2 categories they provide way more to their citizens than united states.

• On 9 Apr 2014 in Other NATO countries need to pay their fair share, dublin hillz said:

Basically, united states is being played for suckaz - it's like going out to restaurant with a group of friends and paying 70% of the group's bill time after time. Or buying a mansion with "extended family" and having to foot 70% of the housing costs.

• On 9 Apr 2014 in NeighborWorks: 1 in 3 adult Americans has no emergency savings, dublin hillz said:

Call it Crazy says

, because this spending binge flows through most of the different wage levels...

That's because one of the tenets of capitalism is that money and especially the consumption that it brings buys happiness. There's definitely a significant amount of truth to that - buying stuff and experiences brings satisfaction to our hedonistic ID as opposed to some communist nirvana about "brighter tomorrow."

• On 9 Apr 2014 in Middle Class was "Fed" to the Sharks, dublin hillz said:

Bellingham Bill says

Fed saved everyone's 401ks, along with CalPERS and CalSTRS hundreds of billions.

As for the Fed increasing incomes,

http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/series/WASCUR

wages are a full trillion higher than the crash.

There's a lot of bullshit going around today, everyone's talking out of their asses.

I agree with the 401K and pension part. Not so sure about the wage increase - OK with high tech yes, but what about everyone else?

• On 8 Apr 2014 in NeighborWorks: 1 in 3 adult Americans has no emergency savings, dublin hillz said:

CaptainShuddup says

250K is the "Middle to Middle Upper" middle class.
    90K is definitely
    squarely in the lower middle class.
    less than 60K is abject poverty.

Median american household income is $50,054. Are you saying that a median american lives in "abject poverty" regardless of location?

• On 8 Apr 2014 in NeighborWorks: 1 in 3 adult Americans has no emergency savings, dublin hillz said:

Strategist says

Call it Crazy says

thunderlips11 says

The solution is wage increases, of course.

Long overdue given the massive increase in Wealth and Productivity.

Question, if many people received a 5% wage increase, do you think they would save any of it or just spend it??

LOL
    They will spend it all even before they earn it, by taking a well deserved vacation in Hawaii.
    Then they will complain how hard it is to make ends meet.
    Next they will blame the rich and the government because they are broke.
    After that whine whine and whine until I get a headache.

If they are renters, half of it will be gone before they even see it via rent increases. Most of the rest will get baked in other necessities. If they are a homeowner with fixed rate mortgage, they will have more leeway - they may very well choose to spend the raise on vacations/discretionary spending but even taking that course of action is superior to not having a chance to make the choice in the first place.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 149 milliseconds to create.