Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 23 Oct 2014 in Desalinization: A permanent solution to CA water problem, New Renter said:

yup1 says

I have no idea the number of pumping plants needed. I would assume the entire project net energy required would be whatever is required to move the volume of water desired 700+ miles and lift it net 800'. We tie into existing infrustructure and expand it where needed which would save on costs (California aqueduct, Shasta Dam) You are failing to realize this project would also get an increase in net energy out of Shasta.

I am pretty sure it would require much less energy than any form of desalinization for the same volume of water.

You are correct that most of the energy would be recovered on the down side, however pumping stations are not cheap and of course to pass large volumes of water over each hill required two, one to pump, the other to generate. Look at how much the delta tunnels is supposed to cost - do you really think a 700+ mile aqueduct with that many pumping/generating stations will be cheaper than modular solar desalination plants?

An argument might be made for using the pumping generating stations as grid electrical storage. I'm not sure how strong that argument is since these batteries would be located pretty far from population centers.

Plus that Shasta water only serves NorCal - Socal is SOL.

• On 23 Oct 2014 in Desalinization: A permanent solution to CA water problem, New Renter said:

yup1 says

New Renter says

Oh come on - if a reactor can be designed and operated in a @#$% combat submarine a reactor can be designed to safely take a bit of ground shaking.

I wonder how many combat nuclear powered submarines have been in actual combat? I am betting the first set of depth charges knocks a couple of control rods back in the core.....

If this doesn't mess up the reactor I doubt much else will:

• On 23 Oct 2014 in Tour guide goes off on very un-PC rant on her last day at work, New Renter said:

CaptainShuddup says

Stupid bitch, what does she think her next job prospects are, when the HR department does a Social media and Youtube search for her stupid ass?

And how is HR to know the person they are interviewing for what is likely a low end position is the woman in the video?

It's some Starbucks HR flunky not the the NSA.

• On 23 Oct 2014 in Lockheed claims nuclear fusion breakthrough., New Renter said:

Rin says

Yes, perhaps when we were kids. Today, we're in the dystopic postdoc world where ppl make their *names* in science R&D, by hyperbole, not by being judicious and getting everything right.

Thus, if they feel confident in their initial progress (with stable phase boundaries, etc), they may go all the way, to destroying themselves and the city of Seattle, all for the sake of more funding.

I'm not sure it's quite that bad. for instance there are plenty of labs working with super virulent, highly toxic diseases (e.g. weaponized smallpox) yet we're all still alive.

So far at least.

• On 23 Oct 2014 in Lockheed claims nuclear fusion breakthrough., New Renter said:

indigenous says

New Renter says

This is the real flux capacitor:

Pretend for a moment that I know nothing about electronics, what does it do?

It "remembers" how much current passed through it.

• On 23 Oct 2014 in I'm going to play video games all day instead of working, New Renter said:

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

jvolstad says

I love the original Quake. Wonder if it will run on Win 8.1?

I love the version that lets you swap Barneys for nazis

That's entertainment

Are you sure you aren't convoluting Castle Wolfenstein with the Barney hack for Doom II?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2tT78lq_-8

bgamall4 says

New Renter says

zzyzzx says

justme says

There are no low cost alternative fuels.

You forgot about nuclear.

I sometimes think I am the only one who has a love for the atom :(

Not a good idea in earthquake country.

Oh come on - if a reactor can be designed and operated in a @#$% combat submarine a reactor can be designed to safely take a bit of ground shaking.

yup1 says

701 Miles long, last pumping plant lifts water 1926 ft.

And recovers most of that energy on the other side. Plus most of the CA aqueduct flows through a nice flat valley most of the way. Gravity pushes the water most of the way to the Tehachepes. Your proposal travels along the Cascades. How many pumping stations will you need to get water from the Columbia to Shasta?

• On 23 Oct 2014 in A non-compete clause for sandwich-makers? Something is wrong., New Renter said:

Dan8267 says

New Renter says

On top of that slaves will have to be fed, clothed and sheltered.

Only if you want them to live. Until slaves are scarce, why would the ruling class care?

DVD players aren't exactly scarce, nor expensive. Why then do you feed, clothe and shelter yours?

zzyzzx says

justme says

There are no low cost alternative fuels.

You forgot about nuclear.

I sometimes think I am the only one who has a love for the atom :(

Strategist says

I'm all for it. There must be a reason why they don't aggressively pursue this.

I assume because someone stands to make a lot of money from a water crisis.

yup1 says

Pipeline pumping project to transfer water from the Columbia river in Washington to Lake Shasta in California. Shasta dam could be raised the 200 feet that it was designed for and hold upwards of 14 million acre feet. Columbia river discharges an average of 192 Million acre feet of fresh water to the ocean every year. Problem solved!

I assume you are being snarky. Its about 500 miles from the Columbia to Lake Shasta with 800'+ overall elevation climb. Compare that to the Los Angeles aqueduct going from Owens lake at 3500' to LA at about sea level.

Plus the Rouge river is a lot closer to Shasta...

HydroCABRON not hydrocarbon says

Desal is fine with me, but only when 3/4 of lawns and golf courses have disappeared will we know for sure that water is priced at near-market rates.

That and almond orchards not planted in a !@#$% desert!

Oh yeah FU@K golf courses! stupid waste of high value land!

justme says

zzyzzx says

Which is why I advocate solar desalinization. It's not as if there is a shortage of desert space to put it in CA.

Don't disregard the energy required to pump seawater uphill from sea level to those deserts, and the infrastructure that will be required to do so. And what will we do with the salt, truck it back to the sea? It might be workable but I'd like to see some real analysis of the concept.

Noboby is proposing pumping seawater uphill to the desert for desalination. That's crazy talk.

No the idea is to use and reuse several times existing local water sources currently unusable due to high levels of salt. Think the Salton sea for the Imperial valley or saline aquifers and runoff for the central valley. The runoff can be recycled again and again until it is lost to transpiration. Keep in mind solar desal plants can purify nearly 100% of the input water vs RO's peak at about 50%. There is no saline discharge from solar desal, only dried salts which may be sold to the chemical industry to help boost revenue.

I also wonder if such solar desal plants can be designed to generate some power as well as fresh water as long as the steam can be superheated to drive a turbine. That energy might be used to pump water up from aquifers in dry years and sold to the grid in wet.

It'd be nice to see such plants be useful in wet years unlike RO desal plants which tend to be idled.

• On 21 Oct 2014 in The 2014 housing market and my prediction for 2015, New Renter said:

Robber Baron Elite Scum says

Of course. The last imbecile I want wiping my asshole is an unrefined, unsophisticated and commoner type.

I need my asshole wiped for me in the most elegant way possible.

You are looking for a Groom of the Stool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groom_of_the_Stool

This was one of the most coveted positions in the royal courts of old.

Robber Baron Elite Scum says

Staff is code word for disposable human waste. We just need a robot that can do everything and anything we ask.

We don't care for it's feelings or their real nature. They don't get to choose what they are, we mold them into whatever we want...

Even if it means using "it" as a butler, chauffeur, chef, pianist, violinist, masseuse, bodyguard, personal assistant and as a torture experimental subject.

You will quickly become bored "torturing" something that feels no real pain.

If that's your thing why not just buy yourself a part time high ranking military commission, travel to Guantanamo and torture er, enhanced interrogate along with the real professionals?

• On 21 Oct 2014 in Where Do You Peasants Bank? Credit Unions? Hahaha, New Renter said:

Rin says

Quick question ... why is someone parking $1M in a loser bank, everyone knows about BoA, esp when his FDIC insurance is capped at $250K?

At most, he should have $300K, out of that pile, parked in three different commercial banks (checking/CDs) and then, have $700K split between two brokerage accounts offering SIPC protection up to for $500K per account holder.

Those brokerage accounts should be fully vested in high dividend utility/tobacco/alcohol stocks, earning him 4-5% per year. If he wanted to re-invest he can, or simply take the dividends ($30K-$32K/yr) and use 'em to pay his bills.

That $250k is per beneficiary - The acct holder can put his/her spouse/BFF/cat or dog on the account as beneficiaries and get $250k per head.

http://www.cbsjbank.com/PR093.pdf

• On 21 Oct 2014 in How tech jobs, housing and transit are shaping a megaregion, New Renter said:

Heraclitusstudent says

Companies need to open locations outside of the peninsula.

And develop proper work-from-home options.

• On 19 Oct 2014 in Desalinization: A permanent solution to CA water problem, New Renter said:

Quigley says

You can use solar energy directly to produce fresh water. Just build an Oceanside dome of clear plastic and pump in seawater to cover the floor. Sun evaporates the water which condenses on the dome and runs down the sides to collection basins. It would be land intensive and not very fast tho. But you could use undesirable land for it.

I've posted here on PatNEt extensively on this very subject. RO desalination is a terrible solution. It consumes far too much energy and can only purify 50% of the input water, the rest leaqves far saltier than it entered. This isn't so important for plants with ocean access but for inland plants this is a big problem.

There is a company - WaterFX (And no, I have no affiliation with them) - which has developed a solar desalination method using mineral oil as the heat reservoir.

http://waterfx.co/

This allows the plant to operate even at night and cloudy days (provided not too many cloudy days in a row). It also purifies 93%+ of the input water, is modular, can be constructed quickly, and is FAR cheaper to build and operate than plants such as the one in Carlsbad.

Note that the Carlsbad plant was begun in the mid 1990's drought and abandoned when the rains returned. This is the problem with desalination plants they are the hot ticket when water is scarce and abandoned when water is plentiful. Unfortunalty they are also damned expensive and the bills continue even when there is no need for the extra water.

There is also the problem of logisitics. Agriculture uses 80% of the state's water, NOT coastal cities. Desalination plants need to be located inland, not on the coasts.

To summarize, RO desalination plants are expensive, use tremendous amounts of high value electricity, are inefficent at making fresh water, and take forever to construct, are not modular, and have a large footprint in valuable coastal areas.

Solar Desalination plants are far less expensive, use little high value electricity, are highly efficient at creating fresh water, are modular, and have a large footprint in low cost inland areas.

I 'd go with solar. By far.

• On 19 Oct 2014 in The United States Is Number One ... but in What?, New Renter said:

STEM shortageOilwelldoctor says

The United States Is Number One ... but in What?

Denial

• On 17 Oct 2014 in The implications of being right about stocks, New Renter said:

indigenous says

New Renter says

Oh don't worry, its not just IWOG.

That is a relief, it goes without saying or Iwog's ilk, of course I have to explain that to you...

I see you've been taking grammar lessons from the Captain again.

• On 17 Oct 2014 in The implications of being right about stocks, New Renter said:

indigenous says

iwog says

You really are a loser on so many levels.

Oh dear, Iwog thinks I'm a loser, I'm crushed.

Oh don't worry, its not just IWOG.

indigenous says

It did not hit the main stream, Ebola is an equal opportunity killer.

I dunno, AIDS doesn't care who it affects. As far as epidemics go AIDS is far, far worse than ebola has ever been or is likely to get.

• On 17 Oct 2014 in When Will ApocalypseFuck Finally Die?, New Renter said:

Ceffer says

Good luck with the phalanx of Gatlings.

Its the claymores and punji pits you really need to watch for.

• On 17 Oct 2014 in A non-compete clause for sandwich-makers? Something is wrong., New Renter said:

Vicente says

It would be so much easier for Job Creators, if we just went ahead and formally legalized slavery again.

I don't see here a cost breakdown based on skills, so here's a chart I made for a class a few years ago:

Average cost of a slave (of any age, sex, or condition) in 1850 = $ 400 ($11,300 in 2009 dollars)

Average cost of a slave (of any age, sex, or condition) in 1860 = $ 800 (#21,300 in 2009 dollars)

Cost of a prime field hand (18-30 year-old man) in 1850 = $ 1,200 ($34,000 in 2009 dollars)

Cost of a skilled slave (e.g. a blacksmith) in 1850 = $ 2,000 ($56,700 in 2009 dollars)

EDIT: Some have asked where these figures are from. They're data from the Texas State Historical Association and it's important to bear in mind that these values would vary state by state.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/1dp3cb/how_much_did_slaves_in_america_cost_in_todays/

On top of that slaves will have to be fed, clothed and sheltered.

Don't worry, there's a better way!

Enter the unpaid internship:

No pay (other than *work experience*) and all costs of living are offloaded to the intern in the forms of high interest loans and parental charity. As long as HR departments universally exclude the candidacy of anyone without extensive unpaid internships there will be a neverending line of slaves er bright young people willing to work for free.

• On 17 Oct 2014 in Dallas Top Health Epidemiologist Being Monitored For Ebola, New Renter said:

Strategist says

They need a quick and effective cure

vaccine.

Vaccinate with a syringe loaded M134 and "cure" the corpses with a flamethrower.

Works every time!

• On 17 Oct 2014 in The Giants win the pennant!, New Renter said:

iwog says

New Renter says

Who are the Giants and what's a pennant?

Giants is yo daddy.

Really? Would a family court judge accept that in a paternity case?

If so I may just be able to buy your empire and then some with the couch change from my inheritance.

Yay sperm lottery!

• On 16 Oct 2014 in Interest Rates flirting close to sub 4% territory again..., New Renter said:

iwog says

New Renter says

Would you recommend these as a safe place to park money now?

For someone in California, yes. Tax benefits as well as monthly dividends and they earn a good return.

I've had them in the trust I manage for at least a decade but this is the first time I've owned them.

Watch out because the spread on these is pretty steep. They are also a lot more volatile than a bond fund has any right to be. I find the best way to buy them is to watch the relative price movements over the last week. If NAC is outperforming, buy NXC. If NXC is outperforming, buy NAC.

Thanks for the advice - I'm taking my foyer into the investment world very slowly.

Did you park all your cash in these guys or only a portion?

• On 16 Oct 2014 in Interest Rates flirting close to sub 4% territory again..., New Renter said:

iwog says

New Renter says

Which bonds did you go with?

Would you recommend these as a safe place to park money now?

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 317 milliseconds to create.