Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 1 Oct 2014 in College is ripping you off, New Renter said:

Rin says

If medicine's not your cup of tea, then study accounting and opt for the CPA exam.

Or forgoe all that and (if you are female) get knocked up by the prodigal son of a billionare. Live a life of Caliguan splendor on daddy's dime.

If you are male find a godawful fugly daughter of a billionaire. Marry her and have a few kids. Make sure to take lots of covert excursions to Montreal though, just to keep it real.

• On 1 Oct 2014 in Politicians boast of their scientific illiteracy, New Renter said:

bob2356 says

Read the bible

Which one?

• On 1 Oct 2014 in Lady foolishly fails trying to drive off as her Cadillac Escalade is being towed, New Renter said:

She shoulda got it with 4WD. At least then she could'a pointlessly smoked the' front tires.

• On 1 Oct 2014 in Politicians boast of their scientific illiteracy, New Renter said:

If black holes don’t exist, then other things you scientists have been trying to foist on us probably don’t either, like climate change and evolution

God, heaven, angels, Satan, hell and demons on the other hand...

• On 29 Sep 2014 in Will YOU change for ME, New Renter said:

Dan8267 says

New Renter says

And how much energy does it take to magnetically lift those vehicles compared to just putting them on tires?

None. Use permanent magnets for lift and electromagnets for thrust. It takes energy to propel maglifts, but not to lift them. Some of the energy can be reclaimed in braking. Plus, with no moving parts, maglifts are cheaper to maintain in the long run. And you don't have to have insurance as the smart highway controls the vehicles. So maglifts would be far cheaper than cars.

The magnets would have to be strong enough to support a ton and a half to two tons of weight a few inches above the ground plus be able to absorb any vertical impulses in several million vehicles and millions of miles of roadway. That's an awful lot of permanent magnets. Probably the super strong rare earth type too at least for levitating the vehicles.

You'd also be restricted to roadways, no off roading.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in 1 in 4 Americans 25-54 Not Working, New Renter said:

indigenous says

bob2356 says

That's just total nonsense even for you.

Yup that is what you always say, why the fuck not?

BTW putting the graph that way supports the duck's theory.

Only if the blood rushing to your head is making you woozy.

indigenous says

GM was effectively BK because of being saddled with having to pay union benefits.

That was a big part of their problems true, as were unmotivated union workers and pigheaded management.

A few years ago "This American Life" did a story on the Fremont NUMMI plant (now TESLA) GM set up with Toyota and how the worst GM plant in America became the best:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/403/transcript

What's interesting is how the exact same *bad* union workers in the worst GM plant responded to being asked to improve quality. The plant managers had been rewarded for cranking out cars, problems be damned, those can be fixed later. Reminded me of the stories I heard about Soviet factories. Workers were penalized for trying to stop the line to fix problems. Once a Toyota quality philosophy was adopted by both workers AND management quality went way, way up.

There's more to the story than just legacy costs.

Strategist says

. Today, we have strong laws (too strong) preventing any sort of exploitation, so we don't need them.

And how do you define worker exploitation?

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Ebola out of control, New Renter said:

Call it Crazy says

thunderlips11 says

General Butt Naked, come on. You won't lose a war with a name like that.

But I bet he throws some great parties!

General Butt Naked is about as evil as the definition of evil gets:

] Blahyi now claims he would regularly sacrifice a victim before battle, saying, "Usually it was a small child, someone whose fresh blood would satisfy the devil."[1]

He explained to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer: "Sometimes I would enter under the water where children were playing. I would dive under the water, grab one, carry him under and break his neck. Sometimes I'd cause accidents. Sometimes I'd just slaughter them."[9] In January 2008 Blahyi confessed to taking part in human sacrifices which "included the killing of an innocent child and plucking out the heart, which was divided into pieces for us to eat."[10]

Blahyi claimed to a South African Star reporter that he "met Satan regularly and talked to him" and that from age of 11 to 25 he took part in monthly human sacrifices.[11] In his account of a typical battle Blahyi claimed, "So, before leading my troops into battle, we would get drunk and drugged up, sacrifice a local teenager, drink the blood, then strip down to our shoes and go into battle wearing colorful wigs and carrying imaginary purses we'd looted from civilians. We'd slaughter anyone we saw, chop their heads off and use them as soccer balls. We were nude, fearless, drunk yet strategic. We killed hundreds of people--so many I lost count."[12]

http://en.www.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Butt_Nake

Party on.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Wife Beater Upstairs Lives with Impunity, New Renter said:

Move out. Quickly.

You and the other neighbors can also talk to the building manager. When the loud neighbor's lease expires he can make sure it is not renewed.

indigenous says

New Renter says

Thanks for proving my point.

Bullshit, the graph show that the highest compensation would have been around 1945 declining slowly to around 1970 then auguring from there.

The wages do not correlate to that graph. Here is a graph showing annual income. Can you see that they do not correlate?

Yes its amazing what two incomes can do over one.

However when you look at income of one income earning households vs two the stagnation is clear:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/10/how-americas-marriage-crisis-makes-income-inequality-so-much-worse/280056/

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Calvinism is Nuts, New Renter said:

Rin says

The way that some smart *ss investigator will put a sting on this, is to use the *hovering vessel* rules.

Simple answer is for water taxis to refuse pick-ups from pleasure barges. Or have a custom's station somewhere in the loop, either on the barge or on the water taxi dock.

Would it be better to use an abandoned petroleum drilling platform as a base of operations? There may not be many off New England but there are plenty in the Gulf.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Hydrogen cars green transport closer to reality, New Renter said:

bob2356 says

New Renter says

bob2356 says

Seems to me that would allow you to just use the solar cell directly without the intermediate step of using hydrogen other than for energy storage.

Another voice joins the choir.

Which choir is that? If hydrogen makes economic and ecological sense then great, go hydrogen. Right now it doesn't and all the cheerleading in the world won't change that. I'm all in favor of continuing research on all renewable forms of energy. You never know when or where a breakthrough will come.

The choir pointing out:

bob2356 says

Right now it doesn't and all the cheerleading in the world won't change that.

I, IWOG, and the rest of the choir have repeatedly pointed out to John the technological fallacies of a hydrogen economy. Sure, if there is some kind of a breakthrough e.g. a wormhole to the Jovian hydrogen mines a hydrogen economy may make sense; however so far I've seen nothing to indicate this is so.

Will anyone dependent on their vehicle want to buy a hydrogen powered car with only a handful of refueling stations in CA and almost NONE anywhere else?

Hint - look at how many privately owned NG powered cars there are on the road. Not many.

indigenous says

You do see that salaries and union membership do not correlate?

Not from your data.

Do you see unions were directly responsible for weekends, abolition of child labor, 40 hr workweeks (remember those?), paid overtime, safety regulations, pensions/retirement plans other than a swift kick in the ass?

indigenous says

BTW you know what does correlate? It is production, that's right increased or decreased production correlates to salary.

Which is ironic since real middle class wages in this country have remained stagnant while productivity has skyrocketed.

indigenous says

You can see that a worker who can use a tractor makes more money than a worker who can use a shovel?

Doesn't matter, both tractors and shovels are automated so both the tractor driver and ditch digger are comrades in the breadline.

indigenous says

New Renter says

Lets see your statistics then, something NOT funded by the CATO institute

I had to peruse extensively and found this graph in 1 minute from Wikipedia.

All your graph shows in that union membership took off during the great depression and started declining in the 1950-70s which was *only* 45 years ago, not the 100 as you stated.

Its also exactly the same time the standard of life for the working and middle classes improved dramatically (1930s-1950s), peaked (1950s-early 1960s) and started hitting the toilet (1970+) in this country.

Thanks for proving my point.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Amazon crushes local economies, New Renter said:

HydroCabron says

I blame brick and motar retailers.

They all delay the transaction by pushing you to sign up for a membership card, and harass you with salespeople. The message is clear: "We think you're an idiot who needs to be told what to buy, and you have no right to set foot in our store without spending at least $50."

Pressure to cut labor costs has resulted in poorly-skilled cashiers who can't operate the item scanner smoothly, and the coupon and club card culture results in very slow transactions.

Bought ear plugs and tennis balls at two locations yesterday, just a few blocks apart. Total time was an hour. Who has that kind of time?

Same thing could happen with online shopping. You try to check out, probably while you are at work. Suddenly loud annoying pop up's start FLYING at you - Are you sure you haven't forgotten something? You've bought condoms and sex toys here before, maybe you want this (insert graphic image here) too? The snickers coming from the surrounding cubicles multiply. How about raspberry flavored body oil? More snickers. Click here for your free copy of GILF!

Its at that moment your boss pokes his ugly head into your cubicle to say its time for your performance review.

It doesn't go well.

indigenous says

Must be true then...

It is.

indigenous says

Unions have been on the decline for something like 100 years, if what you say is true why don't the wages correlate to that statistic?

100 years? That's when unions in America were just getting started.

Lets see your statistics then, something NOT funded by the CATO institute

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Hydrogen cars green transport closer to reality, New Renter said:

bob2356 says

Seems to me that would allow you to just use the solar cell directly without the intermediate step of using hydrogen other than for energy storage.

Another voice joins the choir.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Internet inventor warns of threats to his invention, New Renter said:

Peter P says

I am suspicious of inventors who have lost control to their inventions.

Why invent anything if it does not bring you power?

Well I've been suspicious of you for some time as you've clearly lost control of your mind.

indigenous says

New Renter says

Labor unions, plain and simple.

Plain and simple yup but also WRONG, with even a perfunctory understanding of economics you would know better than this.

I know I am correct.

Strategist says

Our standard of living far exceeded theirs. If our economic system devalues labor, why is the standard of living of our laborers far better than that of the communists?

The answer is simple....

Labor unions, plain and simple. Somewhat restricted immigration policy as well.

Plus the communist countries had the sh!t kicked out of them during the war. Russia and the eastern bloc countries took the brunt of the war damage. After the war America via the Marshall Plan helped rebuild West Germany, Russia took a pound of flesh out of east Germany.

Want an example of what REAL capitalism is like? Try the Belgian Congo.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Calvinism is Nuts, New Renter said:

Rin says

As you might know, the founders of Massachusetts were Puritans/Calvinists and because of them, it's illegal to procure the services of an esc*rt for the sake of bo*nking, in America.

And what's really pathetic about that is that it's legal in Mother England... so what was the point of the revolutionary war? In fact, the taxes opposed upon the colonies back then, mounted to less than 4%. Most states have a higher sales tax than that.

Do you have any idea, how happy I would be, if I could catch a Red Sox game and bone a hoe, around the corner at a Back Bay/Fenway hotel room? I might actually move to downtown Boston and fork out the extra cash for that. Instead, Montreal's got my business.

Why not just get a luxury barge full of Montreal's finest and have it parked 12 miles offshore?

Even better, get some investors together and park a flotilla of"hospitality" barges offshore each with ladies from a different country. A helicopter shuttle should be able to get clients to and from in far less time than a flight to Montreal.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Ebola out of control, New Renter said:

Quigley says

I've also learned (through experience) that if you feed stray cats you get more stray cats to feed.

Spay and release "fixes" that problem quite effectively.

Also fixes your rodent problems.

bob2356 says

Call it Crazy says

If 18% represents the 6200 current cases.... just do the math...

The math says 30k in a continent with a population of 1 billion. My calculator can't do that small a percentage.

Try scientific notation. :P

• On 28 Sep 2014 in Tapes showing meek oversight of Goldman are about to rock Wall Street, New Renter said:

indigenous says

New Renter says

Well the F22/F35 squandered a tremendous amount of money

That is the one that raised the average salary of all STEM workers. What percentage of engineers don't work for the government in directly?

Not really.

The flood of cheap engineers from China , India and especially the old soviet states diluted out any talent shortage.

• On 27 Sep 2014 in Tapes showing meek oversight of Goldman are about to rock Wall Street, New Renter said:

indigenous says

Another one is the DOD and defense contractors, bullshit. How would this affect you STEM workers?

Well the F22/F35 squandered a tremendous amount of money and at least some trickled into the pockets of engineers. Same with the ISS, the space shuttle and a host of other bloody expensive projects that went nowhere.

XB-70 Valkyrie, I'm looking at you!

Probably a fair amount was also spent on "Aurora" and other off the books projects too but shh, we don't talk about those.

• On 27 Sep 2014 in UN passes resolution on behalf of LGBT citizens around the globe, New Renter said:

Ceffer says

And no, they won't go down on each other before they start swinging.

Thank God!

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 339 milliseconds to create.