Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 30 Jul 2014 in Time for $20/Gallon Gasoline, New Renter said:

Well its no suprise someone who lives 5 minutes from work, walks to shoppping and can make his kids walk/bike to school has no problem paying $20/gal for gasoline.

I wonder how willing you'd be willing to pay $10 for a tomato... or $100 for a pount of brisket. Or $10k for a cross country flight iin cattle class).

• On 29 Jul 2014 in If you see a LEO in need of help,would you help him?, New Renter said:

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

The LEO had no way to assess and confirm that the dog was not a cleverly described suicide bomber, therefore leaving him with no other option but putting a bullet in its brain. The experience has left the LEO with PTSD and forced him to apply for his pension 19 years early. The patrolman's union is filing suit in support of the petition and recommending the LEO be awarded the pension and a medal of valor from the State of Illinois.

Does Illinois have a "stand your ground" law? Or is that only applicable to cops against docile pets?

• On 29 Jul 2014 in If you see a LEO in need of help,would you help him?, New Renter said:

marcus says

THe dog must have been scaring people in the neighborhood, or somebody reported something extreme about it.

Not to defend the stupid and cowardly cop. Just observing that some key piece of info is missing from the story. The cop should definitely be fired in any case. OR maybe have his gun taken away and put him in charge of parking tickets.

Unless the dog is clearly attacking you (and you have chunks missing to prove it) to shoot a dog in front of its 6 year old owner is a horrendous act.

• On 29 Jul 2014 in Study: 35% of Americans face debt collectors, New Renter said:

In a related study exactly 35.1% of American have a mortgage...

• On 28 Jul 2014 in If you see a LEO in need of help,would you help him?, New Renter said:

I assume LEO stands for Law Enforcement Officer.

I was always taught its LEO that goes GER!

Shooting a non-aggressive dog in the head especially in front of a kid... Bad bad bad LEO!

Had it been my dog and kid.... Oh boy.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in 2015 Real Estate Prediction, New Renter said:

Peter P says

JH says

But to also be fair, one could argue that rent is driven by the real estate market.

In the Bay Area it is more driven by a sudden surge in demand caused by the new tech bubble.

Unlike the last housing bubble, higher rent is feeding back into the housing prices. It is a rather complex reflexive relationship.

And when tech crashes? What then?

Or do you believe "tech" can never crash?

Peter P says

A responsible market participant *SHOULD* raise rent if conditions allow.

Well that depends too. If market conditions allow packing 50 questionable people into hot bunking in a 2000 sqft 4/2 is that really a good idea? If the renters blow up the place with a meth lab will insurance cover it? The deposit certainly wont!

iwog says

New Renter says

Tell you what IWOG, try an experiment. Increase the rents on your units 5-10x and see if your tenants are willing to do whatever it takes to meet your demands. Point out in your letter you are forced to do so by market forces or some such crap. If your tenants leave just find some fresh off the boat immigrants who will pay up.

I'm pretty sure that isn't going to work unless everyone else does the same thing.

And unless the renters are able and willing to pay.

There ARE many SFBA neighborhood already with houses stuffed to capacity. They're easy to spot - they're the ones with:

1) Garage mushrooms- my term for slap dash second stories added above garages that were clearly done on the cheap (and who knows about permits)

2) An abundance of converted garages - again, no thought to aesthetics.

3) 4 cars on a 2 car driveway

4) 3 cars on a 2 car lawn

5) cars parked bumper to bumper on both sides of the street as far as the eye can see.

That's the least of what you (generic you) get when you start jacking rents beyond affordability.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in YES! Assless chaps make a comeback, New Renter said:

Dan8267 says

New Renter says

Original? Have you seen A Boy And His Dog?

Actually, no. I should check that out.

You'll love it. Its like a Benji movie as re-imagined by AF in a fever dream.

Dan8267 says

A post-apocalyptic tale based on a novella by Harlan Ellison. A boy communicates telepathically with his dog as they scavenge for food and sex, and they stumble into an underground society

How does one scavenge for sex? Sounds like something Marcus would do.

Its a brave new world out there!

Dan8267 says

Call it Crazy says

Why don't you ask Dan why he STARTED the thread in the first place.... Isn't THAT more telling??

Because Mad Max Road Warrior was an awesome movie with interesting villains and an original vision of a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Original? Have you seen A Boy And His Dog?

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/

It stars Don Johnson, pre Miami Vice.

Also fun Damnation Alley

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0075909/

With a young, pre Airwolf Jan Michael Vincent.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in The Challenges of being an older college student, New Renter said:

SFace says

I would never take away valuable space to people who actually benefit from it, a degree.

The world is filled with college educated unemployed people. You might well be doing a favor steering young people away from seeeking an expensive yet useless degrees

iwog says

corntrollio says

Was she from Angeles City?

I have no idea. Our law office tends to get a huge number of Filipino clients. They aren't particularly good with money so they end up in bankruptcy often.

This was just one of many stories they have told me about life in the 3rd world.

Which is why they are willing to live like Charlie Bucket and his family. Once upon a time Americans did the same. Now we don't.

Tell you what IWOG, try an experiment. Increase the rents on your units 5-10x and see if your tenants are willing to do whatever it takes to meet your demands. Point out in your letter you are forced to do so by market forces or some such crap. If your tenants leave just find some fresh off the boat immigrants who will pay up.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Brains: were out of em! need more cheap Indians. -Microsoft, New Renter said:

corntrollio says

Microsoft wants immigration reform to bring in foreign workers

By Matt Markovich Published: Sep 14, 2012 at 4:30 PM PDT Last Updated: Sep 14, 2012 at 5:25 PM PDT

Good point. This subject is almost two years old, why is it being posted here now?

iwog says

New Renter says

Your chart shows Canadian prices not quite matching US peak prices RIGHT BEFORE THEY CRASHED.

It also shows higher prices (as a function of wages) than now being maintained for over a decade.

A big part of that is the development of the oil sands.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-23/alberta-oil-clout-dominating-canada-s-unbalanced-economy.html

Nice as long as the oil sands are viable.

Dan8267 says

Can Charlize Theron get hotter? Do the laws of physics even allow that?

Is she wearing assless chaps?

iwog says

New Renter says

Your chart shows Canadian prices not quite matching US peak prices RIGHT BEFORE THEY CRASHED.

It also shows higher prices (as a function of wages) than now being maintained for over a decade.

There's a cap in there somewhere.

iwog says

FortWayne says

When rents are higher than incomes, that's not a good recipe.

Household size will increase to accommodate more wage earners.

Or maybe people will just relocate to Chile.

iwog says

FortWayne says

I don't think your theory holds Iwog for CA, because out here current wages do not support the prices. Now I don't live in Bay Area, but out in LA, I'm right.

You have no idea how high prices can go with current wages.

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Robots should be recognized as persons, like corporations, New Renter said:

Great, now tovbot is petitioning for personhood

• On 28 Jul 2014 in Study: San Joaquin Valley an economic success story, New Renter said:

Stockton IS the New, New York!

• On 28 Jul 2014 in The effect of a spike in local jobs vs local real estate prices, New Renter said:

Edmonton Canada is a perfect example.

Edmonton is the nearest city near the Athabasca oil sands. A fromer co-worker of mine from there told me how once it became economically feasible to develop the sands it created a huge RE boom for Edmonton. House prices skyrocketed DESPITE there being nothing but flat prairie ground to build on for many, many miles around - workers needed housing right away and had plenty of money for rent or to purchase. Prices were similar to those in the SFBA in 2005-6.

If the price of oil were to drop again or even better if a breakthrough in oil substitutes made oil economically unfeasible I'd expect prices there to crash and crash hard.

There are similar situations in ND now with the opening of the fracking gas fields.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 6030 milliseconds to create.