Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 1 Jul 2014 in How Much Gold Should Someone Own? Where and How To Own It?, Vicente said:

Survivalist bunkers need to be stocked with a SELECTION of gold-plated weapons.

https://2012patriot.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/survivalist-guns-gold-get-away-plan/

• On 1 Jul 2014 in Americans wouldn't last a day without their smartphones, Vicente said:

mmmarvel says

I make my own for less than 50 cents a cup (probably closer to 10 or 25 cents - haven't really calculated it).

Coffee is disgusting, goes well with all the cigarettes my brother smokes I guess.

• On 1 Jul 2014 in Hobby Lobby wins Supreme Court case, Vicente said:

sbh says

The slut should have made her rapist use a condom, right Captain?

Condoms are only acceptable when GOTP Congressmen are raping pages.

In heterosexual rape, every sperm is sacred.

• On 30 Jun 2014 in Iraq is irremediably broken, Vicente said:

SoftShell says

WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE NOW??

If I put that quote below a picture of Hillary Clinton, Teabaggers get BENGHAZI-RAGE!

Priceless.

• On 30 Jun 2014 in "BEWARE" The Pitchforks Are Coming!!!, Vicente said:

jazz music says

Nothing is going to happen. No pitchforks are coming. We are not going to do anything but bitch whine and fuck over each other.

Some will accept a few bucks, to do the dirty work of keeping the peasants in their place. Feudalism in fact can survive and for quite long periods, with only occasional revolutions to spice things up. Nobody alive today, will be taking up pitchforks.

• On 29 Jun 2014 in How Much Gold Should Someone Own? Where and How To Own It?, Vicente said:

Best bet is gold-plated Kalashnikovs.

• On 29 Jun 2014 in Recruits' Ineligibility Tests the Military, Vicente said:

• On 29 Jun 2014 in Recruits' Ineligibility Tests the Military, Vicente said:

On the other hand, they are excellent at Call of Duty.

• On 28 Jun 2014 in I'm confused are vaccines effective or NOT?, Vicente said:

I think instead of following sound medical advice, we should be Internet Sovereign Citizens. If you get a serious disease, you can fall back on all the medical shows and movies you've watched. You probably just need a last-minute injection of something to spring back from the dead.

• On 28 Jun 2014 in I'm confused are vaccines effective or NOT?, Vicente said:

CaptainShuddup says

I mean if you're vaccinated, then why do you care if I'm not?

I care because of "herd immunity".

I frankly don't give a shit if you die. However if enough of "you" create a pocket of polio or Killer Flu or some shit like that, I will fence your community in and exterminate everything inside it. It will make me very sad to spray flame on you, friends, and family. But I will do it.

So much better if you get vaccinated.

Clear now?

• On 28 Jun 2014 in When HDs Crash, does it erase Emails at the Receive End?, Vicente said:

bob2356 says

There is simply no way Learner could have not known what she was emailing was a federal record. There is no way emails should have been allowed to be deleted if there was any possibility at all they contained federal records. Period. Whether it's from bad management, bad policy, or deliberate cover up it's just as illegal and the penalties prescribed by law should (but probably won't be) be applied to the person responsible.

There's lots of room for anyone involved to say they made a judgement call, and only in hindsight does it seem to other people it was a bad call.

As others have said, we should just ask the NSA to produce it.

• On 27 Jun 2014 in Iraq is irremediably broken, Vicente said:

Iran I could see carving off a piece of Iraq. Saudia Arabia I'm not not so sure about.

• On 27 Jun 2014 in Ebola out of control, Vicente said:

Death toll now 390, WHO calling for "drastic action".

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/26/health/ebola-outbreak-west-africa/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

• On 27 Jun 2014 in A rare case of ACTUAL voter fraud, Vicente said:

SoftShell says

It was determined that he had amnesia. Didn't you read the article?

He had amnesia 12 separate times? Or was it more like that movie where the girl wakes up every morning forgetting the previous day?

What I MEANT was, how do you vote that many times without someone saying "hey you've been in here before today and we already checked you off" or something.

• On 26 Jun 2014 in A rare case of ACTUAL voter fraud, Vicente said:

I don't understand how he voted 12 times.

Wasn't ID check supposed to end fraud?

• On 26 Jun 2014 in When HDs Crash, does it erase Emails at the Receive End?, Vicente said:

Please do not assume I'm either an idiot, or deliberately trying to avoid compliance with what you think are simple laws. They are not. Witness this 18-page slideshow attempting to explain DHS take on Federal Records Act:

http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/toolkit/pdf/ID317.pdf

Some pages just leave me with more questions. Interpreting what is meant by Transitory, or Short-Term, or Longer-Term will vary by individual recipient choice. I read the same thing at DHS though, it seems very much focussed on recipient handling of emails and absolutely nothing is said about central IT or retention at the server/backup level.

• On 26 Jun 2014 in When HDs Crash, does it erase Emails at the Receive End?, Vicente said:

Entitlemented says

Is the IRS's job the fair administration of Taxes

I'm reminded of a friend who went to work at a factory as their IT guy.

As he was proposing some IT upgrades and laying out costs, the boss reminded him:

WE MAKE SCALES HERE NOT COMPUTERS! NO!

IT is a support function and subject to budgets and manhour constraints like any other support function. I deal with customers everyday who aren't IT people, don't care about IT, they just know they want it to work and spend less money this year than last on it. So if I were to lay out "hey let's spend $50K on a new tape jukebox" so we can retain more & longer, I'm pretty sure what would happen.

I don't know what your hardon is for this issue. WHAT IS THE LAW? You haven't said, you've posted several sources that attempts to summarize and explain it which is not the same thing. I'm not sure how you can say I wouldn't see THIS as insulting:

"The word MUST isn't open for interpretation except I guess at uc davis. If it's policy, and deciding what groups to audit is without doubt a policy decision, then it MUST be backed up and saved. "

Policy is not law. Policy are internal guidelines to carry out among other things laws. Example a vacation & leave policy is not per se a legal matter. People keep going on about how someone should go to jail, without pointing to what law was broken. Except that, vaguely they just don't like it, and it violates their interpretation of the Federal Records Acts.

Let us suppose Lerner was informed of IRS policy and didn't fully comply. So that is her problem, not the problem of the server admin handling backups.

bob2356 says

Bullshit. Server admin's don't dictate corporate policy on records retention in any corporation I've ever worked at. If your companies policy is shrug and move on then I hope you never get caught out in a major lawsuit or investigation.

You are full of insults today aren't you.

I'm not at a corporation I work for UC Davis. I follow what the lawyers' and higher ups tell me. They say per California that email retention is not required at the server level.

I suspect it's the same at Federal. Wonks & lawyers sit down, wrangle over what can be done to satisfy legal requirements vs. what is cheapest.

Did anyone in this thread outline what is actually legally required as far as retention of email backups? NO! The text you quote doesn't require retention by server admins, it merely says if there is none it must be printed and filed IF the recipient judges they need to.

I just attempted to lend some perspective from similar issues at state level, which were casually brushed aside and insulted.

• On 26 Jun 2014 in A cure for bloated CEO pay, Vicente said:

New Renter says

If workers walked out they would simply be fired and replaced with scabs.

This doesn't work as well as you'd think, if everyone agrees there is an end to the shit they will put up with.

Say you make toilets. The scabs aren't going to be up to speed. Production down, you miss shipments, you lose some contracts, you yell at workers, they leave too.

Why did Henry Ford have to raise his worker pay? It wasn't because he was a VISIONARY to raise it, that was PR malarkey he peddled to gullible newspapermen. No he had 300% turnover and it was wrecking his assembly line productivity.

• On 26 Jun 2014 in A cure for bloated CEO pay, Vicente said:

Solutions are simple:

Workers could walk out until THEY get better pay.

Board could be demanded by stockholders to stop handing out raises like candy to a spoiled child.

Neither of these things is likely to happen in American psyche which worships Richie Rich and hates poor people.

• On 25 Jun 2014 in Cop Kills 95-Year Old Vet with Beanbag Round Fired From Shotgun, Vicente said:

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, typical cop resorting to things that go bang FIRST.

On the other hand, urinary tract infection in elderly leads to irrational behavior. My Mom with dementia became VIOLENT during a certain phase. It is terrifying to have an elderly parent enraged and irrational and lashing out. The woman who NEVER hit anyone, suddenly was leaving bruises on everyone. Toddler tantrum but in a 100+ pound body and you never know if they are going to hurt themselves or someone else or both. Twice we had to commit her to a psych ward. Transporting her by car was an ordeal I never want to repeat. If you'd handed me a tazer or a tranquilizer gun at certain moments I would have used it and damn the risks. So there's another side to this story.

• On 25 Jun 2014 in When HDs Crash, does it erase Emails at the Receive End?, Vicente said:

bob2356 says

I thought the phrase "All federal employees and federal contractors are required by law to preserve records" was perfectly clear. What do you find ambiguous in that statement?

It seems to me a vague caution to all employees. "All employees should comply with EEOC and ADA and.... embody professional principles......always wear a hat on Tuesday.....zzzzt.."

It specifically mentions that keeping a copy in Outlook itself wasn't sufficient. Therefore I would conclude that electronic retention is not a requirement, that printing it is, which is on recipients.

Which loops us right back to why are we talking about backups? That is a server admin function. Where I work, backups are for DR & business continuity. I occasionally get records requests for various reasons and after proper paperwork have to harvest an inbox. More often than not, the requestor waited too long and it's all gone. We shrug and move on.

Your inbox on Google or Yahoo goes empty, how do you get it back? AFAICT that is the account holder's problem not the administrators.

• On 25 Jun 2014 in When HDs Crash, does it erase Emails at the Receive End?, Vicente said:

bob2356 says

The Treasury Department’s current email policy requires emails and attachments that meet the definition of a federal record be added to the organization’s files by printing them (including the essential transmission data) and filing them with related paper records.

I found the link to the section you reference as here:

http://www.irs.gov/irm/part1/irm_01-010-003.html

Nothing in there about backups and server retention policies. It does talk about printing it out for permanent record, and it seems to me that implies recipients do it themselves not server admins. So it's a bit strange why that guy was being browbeaten about backups.

Look I've sat in meetings about backups and server retention policy. They are DEADLY dull. Nobody wants to be in those meetings. Nobody wants to PAY for backups. You got stuck with it, you try to do something that passes minimal muster, then you move on to more interesting work. Frankly it's like any other "important" but rarely used function, it only gets attention and maintenance when it breaks down. It's the absolute ass-end of "nobody cares" in IT.

Some organizations get a rude shock when they urgently need to recover some old data and find their retention policies weren't adequate, or that the backup policies either had too many holes or weren't working.

All that will come of this, is new requirements and a spurt of interest and money diverted from something else to pay for improvements. Which everyone will promptly forget the importance of, and start whining about the costs until something like this happens again in a decade or three. So invest in Iron Mountain I guess.

• On 24 Jun 2014 in American teens dont want to work, Vicente said:

indigenous says

Sure it does they have a valuable skill that is hard to acquire, the market dictates what their value is.

He's an opthamologist, not a friggin pediatric heart surgeon!

Free Market Zealots do find ways to rationalize their turn at the pig trough.

• On 24 Jun 2014 in American teens dont want to work, Vicente said:

indigenous says

I don't think so. 12 yr of school? yea they deserve it.

This does not sound like a topic John Galt would expound on. Someone DESERVES all the money they can grab because of how long they were in school? Certainly doesn't seem very Libertarian to me.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 270 milliseconds to create.