comments by Vicente

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Sat, 29 Aug 2015, 9:02am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 1

indigenous says

BTW my understanding is that free speech

And what is your "understanding" based on? Feeling in your gut, predisposition?

Every school has particular policies about how public speaking and haranguing of passersby can be conducted. Follow them and you will be fine. Of course there is the occasional case where Barney Fife decides to enforce the rules to his interpretation at that moment. Which could happen to anyone of any ideology, however teabaggers are the kings of butthurt outrage about it.

There seems an intersection among my friends in these sets:
1) Complain about being harangued by beggars, girl scouts, petitioners, etc. outside stores
2) Complain about people not allowed to exercise same sorts of tactics on school grounds

I find the phrase "sanctity of conscience" a strange one.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Fri, 28 Aug 2015, 8:56pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 2

Pension plans were pretty safe.

But we ditched almost all of those, so we could chase pie in the sky 401K fantasies.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Fri, 28 Aug 2015, 9:17am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 3

Dang I thought you were talking about restoring a cool car.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Thu, 27 Aug 2015, 6:18pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 4

elliemae says

Only if they like Pina Coladas...

Good to hear from you.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Wed, 26 Aug 2015, 9:52pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 5

It made perfect sense, fleece the ignorant. People sign up for the fantasy that they could tap into a digital harem for a few bucks. Cheap really.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 10:23pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 6

The Invisible Hand seems pretty clumsy, and prone to jacking off instead of doing the job.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 7:28pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 7

This is the gift that keeps on giving.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 2:20pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 8

curious2 says

You don't want the fire department smashing down your door

Our thinking was more I didn't see the point in it. I could check the house remotely, or call Dad see where he is, maybe remind HIM to look in the window and see if there's fire, or call the neighbors, or another sibling who lives down the block. I guess I should have checked into it more, but I assumed also any system that notified the fire department would be more expensive. So I didn't even check on price. Having SMS notifications sent seemed a reasonable step up from BEEP BEEP BEEP in an empty house, and from my perspective some added peace of mind for only a little more money. Hoping for no alarms, false or true.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 2:09pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 9

curious2 says

Thanks for acknowledging that, though it does shed further light on why we have disagreed about a certain insurance policy in the past. Let me help you with the math:

I wish I could get as excited as you about quibbling over $10 or $20. But I can't.
My Dad is one who will drive across town to save a nickel on a set of tires, sounds
like you'd get along well with him. You didn't seem to take issue with the $150 claimed higher
up just my hazy memory of it being "around $80". Whatever!

I have no idea what insurance policy you refer to.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 2:00pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 10

curious2 says

As far as I can tell, the Nest Protect 2nd Generation has always been $99+tax on amazon.

Right you are. I looked at my invoice, and I had a $10 Prime Savings, and a $5 No Rush discount. So that's why I recall it as closer to $80.

Is the First Alert out yet? I couldn't find a source with supply in July when I ordered the Nest.

I'm a little hinky of First Alert products right now. I have one of their new thermostats. The screen is TERRIBLE and getting it to register a touch in the right place is a right pain. The app is the saving grace of this product. On SmartRate days I run the AC full bore in the morning which runs the meter backwards by 3 cents per KWh. Then when 2PM hits I use the app to shut it off. And it's really nice to be able to leave it off, or set for minimal housekeeping on vacation and dial it to livable while leaving the airport.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 25 Aug 2015, 1:26pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 11

I don't understand the Apple connection.

Oh I see, a former iPod guy left Apple, then made them.
Then it was bought by Google. Seems more GOOG problem.

I bought a V2 unit for my Dad's house, it's in the kitchen and
has never given a false signal. We're a bit worried about him in
his doddering years turning the stove on and then going out to
work in the yard. BEEP doesn't do a damn bit of good if nobody is
in the house to hear it. So it being able to SMS the children so we can
check on him and the house, is invaluable. I didn't find any other units that
could do this, and it was only ~$80 at Amazon.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Sat, 22 Aug 2015, 1:25pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 12

Ceffer says

Just like the "boob cam" set out to reveal the debased oogling of men, it showed that just as many women oogled breasts and in a much more direct and intense manner.

When women go along with our gang to a strip club, they enjoy themselves too. If it were about competition, they'd get hostile/defensive but this never seems to happen.

Lesser known, is bulge cam. Weemins be pervy too!

And the sequel is better than the original:

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Thu, 20 Aug 2015, 8:18pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike (1)     Comment 13

Paradise says

Obama voters??

Yes truly, examples abound:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/us/josh-duggar-ashley-madison/

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/top-gop-official-in-ashley-madison-data-dump-hack

I'm sure it'll come up 111% Libtard Dumbocrats.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 4:13pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike     Comment 14

bob2356 says

The rest of the world really wants to escape trading in dollars, especially for oil. China is doing everything they can to give them a path to do it.

Hurrr?

Zimbabwe, South Africa, etc. all seem like they are going to get hosed by depending on yuan. Which won't leave the many dollar-dependent countries eager to jump on that bandwagon.

I mean sure they do what they have to do, and you can't ignore them. But bankers in other countries like tiny incremental moves that are well-telegaphed. Not waking up to large surprise moves.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 11:26am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 15

I mowed MANY MANY lawns as a kid, listening to a Walkman with the Rumours cassette.

If I had a TARDIS to bounce around time, I would certainly drop in on Fleetwood Mac concerts in their heyday.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Wed, 12 Aug 2015, 7:18am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (2)   Dislike     Comment 16

This devaluation really surprises me. The Chinese establishment is all about CONTROL. And suddenly it seems they've lost control of their currency.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 10:08pm PDT   Share   Quote   Like (1)   Dislike     Comment 17

Thread reminds me I'd like to get another one too. Shopping for a "new" used car, and Patrick.net sticker is the only decoration fit for my chariot.

Will gladly pay for the trouble.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 8:08am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (3)   Dislike (6)     Comment 18

Hahahaha!

There's no need for his flat tax bullshit, which in any case caters to the 1%.

The IRS has enough information they could prefill a form, that you review, agree with, and e-file. For the kind of people that file 1040EZ and your garden-variety cubicle-slave it's trivial.

However every time it's been proposed, it's been shot down by the industries and lobbyists that have grown up around tax preparation.

Trump really doesn't want to get elected, if he's tackling all these kind of Mickey Mouse side issues that voters can't get excited about but the lobbyists definitely will.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Tue, 11 Aug 2015, 12:14am PDT   Share   Quote   Like   Dislike (1)     Comment 19

DieBankOfAmericaPhukkingDie says

Target is a chick store built and designed for chicks.

Decades ago, growing up in the South I had never heard of Target.

When they started renovating a large building across the street from my then-apartment and it had this BULLSEYE symbol I thought oh great it'll be a big gun store and pistol range.

I was so disappointed.

Vicente   befriend   ignore   Mon, 10 Aug 2015, 9:28am PDT   Share   Quote   Like (3)   Dislike (1)     Comment 20

I don't like Trump. However it's disgusting how the GOP establishment is attempting to push him out of the race.

home   top   share   link sharer   users   register   best of   about   questions or suggestions? write p@patrick.net