Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 22 Nov 2014 in Liberals smarter, or more evolved ? Or both ?, lostand confused said:

Peter P says

Smart people never really pick a side.

Bingo. I really don't find the appeal of identifying yourself to either party and then defending them no matter what.

• On 20 Nov 2014 in Senate repubs block bill that would have slowed down NSA spying., lostand confused said:

Hmm, I wonder why the dems suddenly decided to rein in the NSA? maybe the whooping they got at the polls made them realize they have to pretend that they oppose repub policies to rally their base? Nary a peep on NSA until now and Obozo keeps expanding the NSA and other measures like FATCA.

At least with repubs you know what you are getting . Slimy dems -never know what you are getting. What's next Obozo acting like it is 2008 all over again-fools.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Liberal version of social conservatism: Rapper facing prison for making album, lostand confused said:

Strategist says

gsr says

Strategist says

They're gang members....hello?

What crime did he commit?

If you are part of a criminal gang, you are a criminal, sweet and simple. If one commits a murder, they have all committed a murder. Fuck them. Fuck them all.

Wait till your child is falsely accused of being in some gang and people have the same attitude to your child-as you do to other children.

Now I don't like gangs, but like my civil liberties a lot more. Giving away powers to gubmnt will never work.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Liberal version of social conservatism: Rapper facing prison for making album, lostand confused said:

The turn this country takes is worries me. You get fed up of repubs and vote for dems and they turn out to be repubs on steroids on all the constitutional issues.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Polar Vortex 2.0 Arrives - All 50 States Will Freeze Tonight, lostand confused said:

indigenous says

jobs

In Buffalo?? That place is like Detroit.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Polar Vortex 2.0 Arrives - All 50 States Will Freeze Tonight, lostand confused said:

Call it Crazy says

Buffalo is estimated to see 72 inches, or about 6 feet, of snow over a three-day
    period.

Wow-that will bury any car parked outside.

More scientists seem to be ambivalent about global warming.
    http://online.wsj.com/articles/matt-ridley-whatever-happened-to-global-warming-1409872855

On Sept. 23 the United Nations will host a party for world leaders in New York to pledge urgent action against climate change. Yet leaders from China, India and Germany have already announced that they won't attend the summit and others are likely to follow, leaving President Obama looking a bit lonely. Could it be that they no longer regard it as an urgent threat that some time later in this century the air may get a bit warmer?

In effect, this is all that's left of the global-warming emergency the U.N. declared in its first report on the subject in 1990. The U.N. no longer claims that there will be dangerous or rapid climate change in the next two decades. Last September, between the second and final draft of its fifth assessment report, the U.N.'s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change quietly downgraded the warming it expected in the 30 years following 1995, to about 0.5 degrees Celsius from 0.7 (or, in Fahrenheit, to about 0.9 degrees, from 1.3).

Even that is likely to be too high. The climate-research establishment has finally admitted openly what skeptic scientists have been saying for nearly a decade: Global warming has stopped since shortly before this century began.

First the climate-research establishment denied that a pause existed, noting that if there was a pause, it would invalidate their theories. Now they say there is a pause (or "hiatus"), but that it doesn't after all invalidate their theories.

Alas, their explanations have made their predicament worse by implying that man-made climate change is so slow and tentative that it can be easily overwhelmed by natural variation in temperature—a possibility that they had previously all but ruled out.

Enlarge Image
    cat
    Getty Images

When the climate scientist and geologist Bob Carter of James Cook University in Australia wrote an article in 2006 saying that there had been no global warming since 1998 according to the most widely used measure of average global air temperatures, there was an outcry. A year later, when David Whitehouse of the Global Warming Policy Foundation in London made the same point, the environmentalist and journalist Mark Lynas said in the New Statesman that Mr. Whitehouse was "wrong, completely wrong," and was "deliberately, or otherwise, misleading the public."

Related
    Matt Ridley Replies to His Climate-Change Critics

We know now that it was Mr. Lynas who was wrong. Two years before Mr. Whitehouse's article, climate scientists were already admitting in emails among themselves that there had been no warming since the late 1990s. "The scientific community would come down on me in no uncertain terms if I said the world had cooled from 1998," wrote Phil Jones of the University of East Anglia in Britain in 2005. He went on: "Okay it has but it is only seven years of data and it isn't statistically significant."

If the pause lasted 15 years, they conceded, then it would be so significant that it would invalidate the climate-change models upon which policy was being built. A report from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) written in 2008 made this clear: "The simulations rule out (at the 95% level) zero trends for intervals of 15 yr or more."

Well, the pause has now lasted for 16, 19 or 26 years—depending on whether you choose the surface temperature record or one of two satellite records of the lower atmosphere. That's according to a new statistical calculation by Ross McKitrick, a professor of economics at the University of Guelph in Canada.

It has been roughly two decades since there was a trend in temperature significantly different from zero. The burst of warming that preceded the millennium lasted about 20 years and was preceded by 30 years of slight cooling after 1940.

This has taken me by surprise. I was among those who thought the pause was a blip. As a "lukewarmer," I've long thought that man-made carbon-dioxide emissions will raise global temperatures, but that this effect will not be amplified much by feedbacks from extra water vapor and clouds, so the world will probably be only a bit more than one degree Celsius warmer in 2100 than today. By contrast, the assumption built into the average climate model is that water-vapor feedback will treble the effect of carbon dioxide.

But now I worry that I am exaggerating, rather than underplaying, the likely warming.

Most science journalists, who are strongly biased in favor of reporting alarming predictions, rather than neutral facts, chose to ignore the pause until very recently, when there were explanations available for it. Nearly 40 different excuses for the pause have been advanced, including Chinese economic growth that supposedly pushed cooling sulfate particles into the air, the removal of ozone-eating chemicals, an excess of volcanic emissions, and a slowdown in magnetic activity in the sun.

The favorite explanation earlier this year was that strong trade winds in the Pacific Ocean had been taking warmth from the air and sequestering it in the ocean. This was based on a few sketchy observations, suggesting a very tiny change in water temperature—a few hundredths of a degree—at depths of up to 200 meters.

Last month two scientists wrote in Science that they had instead found the explanation in natural fluctuations in currents in the Atlantic Ocean. For the last 30 years of the 20th century, Xianyao Chen and Ka-Kit Tung suggested, these currents had been boosting the warming by bringing heat to the surface, then for the past 15 years the currents had been counteracting it by taking heat down deep.

The warming in the last three decades of the 20th century, to quote the news release that accompanied their paper, "was roughly half due to global warming and half to the natural Atlantic Ocean cycle." In other words, even the modest warming in the 1980s and 1990s—which never achieved the 0.3 degrees Celsius per decade necessary to satisfy the feedback-enhanced models that predict about three degrees of warming by the end of the century—had been exaggerated by natural causes. The man-made warming of the past 20 years has been so feeble that a shifting current in one ocean was enough to wipe it out altogether.

Putting the icing on the cake of good news, Xianyao Chen and Ka-Kit Tung think the Atlantic Ocean may continue to prevent any warming for the next two decades. So in their quest to explain the pause, scientists have made the future sound even less alarming than before. Let's hope that the United Nations admits as much on day one of its coming jamboree and asks the delegates to pack up, go home and concentrate on more pressing global problems like war, terror, disease, poverty, habitat loss and the 1.3 billion people with no electricity.

Mr. Ridley is the author of "The Rational Optimist" (HarperCollins, 2010) and a member of the British House of Lords.

Email
    Print
    1275 Comments
    Order Reprints

Facebook

Twitter

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Under Obama, U.S. personal freedom ranking slips below France, 2 above China, lostand confused said:

Obozo the Constitutional scholar-spying on all Americans and forcing all the worlds banks and financial institutions to spy on Americans. No American safe from the prying eyes of obozo.

How did this clown become a constitutional scholar??

• On 18 Nov 2014 in Polar Vortex 2.0 Arrives - All 50 States Will Freeze Tonight, lostand confused said:

humanity says

Burst your bubble a little bit, did I ?

I know. Facts and logic are such a nuisance. They can so get in the way of what you wish was true.

Hmm-maybe you should look at that yourself.
    or perhaps you think you know more than these NASA scientists??
    http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/Science-US-climate-oceans/2014/10/06/id/598864/

• On 17 Nov 2014 in TX woman's 4 pitbulls break into neighbor's yard and kill beagle-sues for $1mi, lostand confused said:

I guess German Shepherds must be trained well or you will have problems I hear?

I think pitt owners defense is rather silly. Those dogs have the hardware and will to kill grown adult humans. One must acknowledge that. A Chihuahua can be a 1000 times more aggressive than a pitt-but an adult has nothing to fear-one kick can send it flying away. I can be walking a dark alley and if a pack of Chihuahuas come snarling at me-I wouldn't even turn back. But two pitts come at me -that would scare me. Two or three can easily take out a grown man. You have to acknowledge what you are dealing with-an animal that can take out humans .

Rotts scare me too-although Dobermans seem to be far more trainable-under the right hands. Give me a lab or a golden any day-though do like collies too. Same size dogs-but bred for something different .

• On 17 Nov 2014 in Climatologist: 30-Year Cold Spell Strikes Earth, lostand confused said:

Eek, with windchill it is close to -10F today. California dreaming !!!! LOL!!

• On 17 Nov 2014 in Climatologist: 30-Year Cold Spell Strikes Earth, lostand confused said:

It certainly feels like it. Today our highs are in the high teens and low in the single digits. Though nice to look at the fresh snow. I am just wondering what jan/Feb will look like.

• On 17 Nov 2014 in Merit is meaningless-only race matters for students in NJ, lostand confused said:

"Another option would be to remove barriers to entry in the advanced classes altogether, and to allow students to self-select their classes instead of test into them"

Wow maybe I can self-select to be the CEO of a company?/ Ya know there is a reason many companies are going with immigrants . I shudder to think how a child raised in this kind of mentality is going to be as an adult.

• On 17 Nov 2014 in March of the Non-White Babies, lostand confused said:

It depends. Many Asians I know, tend to be republican-especially the hard working, successful kind. Bums that expct a handout will of course support the democrats. Feminazi freaks whose idea of equality is to lay on their back and get paid for it in alimony/child-support will of course support dems.
    The whores of Rin must be repubs-because they actually have to work for a living.

• On 16 Nov 2014 in TX woman's 4 pitbulls break into neighbor's yard and kill beagle-sues for $1mi, lostand confused said:

I just can't believe the gall. Her 4 pitbulls break into somebody's yard and kill their dog and she is suing for 1 million dollars?? I mean.....

• On 15 Nov 2014 in Coldest Nov weather in decades hits states from WY to TX, lostand confused said:

marcus says

Look it was a mistake for me to start the ad hominem, saying you are gullible. So now you're offended.

ad hominem does not offend me. people only resort to it when they have no argument.marcus says

Now me I don't care either way. I am not invested in global warming being real or not. Although I wish it were-because it would make the weather a bit better, where I live.

I guess that tells me more than all I need to know about your point of view.

My bad.

I'm reminded of John Kenneth Galbraith's famous quote about conservatives

So now someone who is rational and expects evidence is a conservative. That actually tells me all about your position. One does not go in with a fixed view and then try and argue outcome. only closed minded folks do that. To be clear about something-you have to be objective about something-which means -oh well never mind.

• On 15 Nov 2014 in More companies give in to employees shopping at work, lostand confused said:

Who cares? For IT, during peak/emergency/crucial times, as long as people are willing to contribute and get the job done-who care if they goof off the rest of the time??

• On 15 Nov 2014 in Coldest Nov weather in decades hits states from WY to TX, lostand confused said:

marcus says

Really ? And then a religious fanatic would follow it with the next sentence
    ? Which of course you have no response to ?

You're the one that's more like a religious zealot. Except that what you want
    to deny, makes far less sense (given current evidence) than the Catholic church
    denying the Earth was the center of the universe, given evience and knowledge at
    the time.

Religious fanatics have fixed worldview-just like you. You refuse to accept an alternative and have your mind made up and anyone who has an opposing view is dumb or stupid. That is why I feel sorry for your students-poor kids have to get treated to that attitude.

Now me I don't care either way. I am not invested in global warming being real or not. Although I wish it were-because it would make the weather a bit better, where I live.

I don't like the fact that they are already putting taxes and implementing policies when nobody is saying with absolute certainity that here is global warming-xyz causes ABC and in so in order to prevent that need tor educe xyz. It is probabilities, possibilities-in other words a theory. Folks have had a long time to study and my curiosity-why is the Antartic at record ice levels???

Here is the Champion of Global warming-Noble laureate Al Gore. That looks like a statement of facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPLD8aylRiw

Why is it becoming colder and colder up here in the Midwest? Plenty of questions. I think it is a bigger issue that needs far more exploration than just saying-this is settled, lets tax and spend some more

The point is people were told global warming was a sure thing and they already came up with taxes for it and a lot of charlatans made a ton of money.

Now we come into probabilities and possibilities. Nobody has ever answered why Antartic ice levels are at record levels?

Pollution-water, land, air is accepted. But that is proven-nobody is going to argue that it is safe to drink water from a factory that spews waste or some such.

But when you are talking about porbabailities and yet speak like this
    humanity says

Whatever you do, don't you dare comprehend this.

Like really-usually the religious fanatics are the ones who speak in that manner.

Yeah you have all those factors-but the antartic polar cap is at record levels. But if your response is to say you are talking probabilities with air of the absolute-well nobody is going to believe you.

No amount of Koch money is going to convince most people that it is safe to drink sewage or industry runoffs. Instead of making it big and ridiculing everyone who does not agree and then when faced with probabilities-oh well, perhaps you ought to comprehend why people have trouble with believing something that keeps evolving.

marcus says

Translation: You're very gullible to propaganda

marcus says

One has to be beyond stupid to not appreciate this reality.

You are a teacher. I really feel sorry for your students. I really hope you are a teacher in some obscure stupid subject-your ammo is simply to state as fact anything you agree with and then claim anybody who does not agree with you as stupid

marcus says

This is potentially disruptive to climate in ways that can not be predicted with
    precision

Isn't that funny. First global warming as a sure thing and now it cannot be predicted and yet you have a bunch of solutions and more taxes already ready.

sbh says

lostand confused says

lets raise taxes now.

Screw the taxes. Don't need new taxes to piss off god!!!! If you believe in climate change you're spittin' in the face of jesus. Libtards are just a pack of heathens.

In this issues it is the far left that is acting like religious zealots. You have a changing theory , lot of holes-but already have a tax structure in place-without even having a solid working knowledge. Global warming, climate change, whatever-but anybody who questions it is a neandrathal Jesus living fool.

Funny, science is never supposed to be like that. If their theories are wrong, then come up an explanation that is backed up by science . Why is ice at record levels at one pole, but at very low levels at another?? Why are many places facing record winters and early onset of winters. To me a scientist would be willing to embrace these and not stick to dogma.

But unless global warming scare-just like the war on drugs or the war on fill in the blanks is a nice way to scare the public and earn some money. Al Gore would never have got a Nobel Prize otherwise.

sbh says

There's a ton of ice in the fridge. What a crock of libtard quackery.

There is ice in the fridge-must be global warming-lets raise taxes now. That is libtard quackery. When it is evolving from global warming, then climate change-folks already have slapped taxes on it and then some. Then you wonder why people feel suspicious of the gubmnt and the far lefties??

Maybe, but Antartic ice is at close to record levels. So one pole may have a little else ice and the other seems to have a lot more ice. Hardly worth of Hollywood blockbuster scenarios.

Say what you will-but global warming turned from science to religion which required unquestioning loyalty.

Science welcomes debate and stands on facts or calls it a theory. Instead you had Al Gore and other fools who made this a cottage industry and made millions off it-while they lived in mansions and flew in private jets.

Now that global warming has been reclassified as climate change-well forgive me, but most rational people will be a bit more skeptical-except the true believers.

When snake oil salesman hijack science to enrich themselves-that piece will become tainted. Only blind followers will follow without question-the rest will be skeptical and will demand evidence and proof-ya know science.

There are enough folks who believe without question and build museums that show people riding dinosaurs and some such-but no need to make science into that.

When it was hyped up so much and people awarded Nobel prizes for it and all of sudden it may not be true-but is now climate change and the earth may actually be cooling in some places-well scientists need to get a better explanation. Now the science behind an elevator or a car or a space shuttle is pretty solid and even the extreme loony right wing will not question them. I think climate change or whatever the current fad name needs to get there before people get to believe again.

Brr-it is already in the teens where I live and set to go even lower next week-me want me some global warming!!

Single digits this early in the season-at least Thanksgiving will be above freezing-or so they predict.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 910 milliseconds to create.