Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 23 Nov 2014 in US House of Bumbling Lickspittles Says: Fuck You Science!, curious2 said:

New Renter says

What am I missing?

Section 2(b)(1), "The Board shall be composed of at least nine members, one of whom shall be [Larry Craig]."

• On 22 Nov 2014 in Schlong-Gobbling Gay GOP Senator Hired to Manage Idaho GOP Party Books, curious2 said:

HydroCabron says

unpopular president....

He became unpopular when he switched his position on healthcare from what he had campaigned on to what he had campaigned against. His popularity plummeted from +40 to zero. In 2012, it climbed briefly to +10 compared to Romnesia, then in 2013 it fell to -10 with the Obamacare website fiasco, and has never recovered since. To call the President unpopular does not explain why he became unpopular.

• On 22 Nov 2014 in Liberals smarter, or more evolved ? Or both ?, curious2 said:

carrieon says

Barrack....

has only one r, and the father was born in 1934 and the son was born in 1961. If you want to copy and paste jokes, at least make them actually funny, instead of sad phony "conservative" memes.

• On 22 Nov 2014 in Liberals smarter, or more evolved ? Or both ?, curious2 said:

thunderlips11 says

Once upon a time a Russian diplomat was kidnapped by an Islamic Terror Group. The KGB grabbed some Wahabi clerics and sent some fingers every day their diplomat remained in their custody. He was handed back untouched on the 3rd day.

I tried to find that story but couldn't. Do you have names or links?

• On 22 Nov 2014 in Schlong-Gobbling Gay GOP Senator Hired to Manage Idaho GOP Party Books, curious2 said:

FortWayne says

They should never let gays around children.

I am trying to see the humor in Forthood posting such drivel with an avatar of Ronald Reagan, who (as Forthood knows) entrusted his own children and home to friends who were gay. Forthood is the sort of religious whackjob who thinks any lie is ok so long as it's paranoid and hateful and endorsed by his preacher. He claims they don't believe in stoning as mandated by Leviticus, but that's hypocrisy: next Sunday Forthood's whole congregation should show up with bags of rocks, lock the church doors, and stone each other for eating shellfish or cutting their beards or whatever; the last survivor can phone the police.

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

SEC

FEC.

Larry Craig is the face and mouth of today's GOP. The question is, how did Democrats lose to that party.

• On 22 Nov 2014 in A fun read about government as a tool for concentrating wealth, curious2 said:

jazz music says

The moneys go to them not these fictitious welfare cheats... After mentioning how our taxes fund the development of pharmaceuticals which are patented and are foisted upon us for usurious prices....

OK, so now that the election (wipe-out) is over, can we please acknowledge that Grubercare/Romneycare/HeritageFoundationCare/Obamacare is a bad policy, or at least an unpopular policy, that empowers Bill McGuire and his peers at the expense of everyone else? As far as I can tell, the Republicans have literally zero majority positions other than opposing that legislation. Yet, because that policy touches everyone intimately, whether they want it or not, it has returned Republicans to power.

• On 22 Nov 2014 in Stuff Liberals Say, curious2 said:

CaptainShuddup says

And Darth Vader was once a cute kid.

Well, I'm glad you can acknowledge your appreciation of Hayden Christensen. This is a big step for you.

[Update: oops - I just realized, TenPoundAss might have been expressing his interest in the underage version. That's somewhat disturbing, though frankly all of TenPoundAss's oeuvre is disturbing.]

• On 22 Nov 2014 in Executive producer of RT has hanged himself in a bathroom., curious2 said:

Straw Man says

sbh says

Who watches that swill?

Useful idiots.

Speaking of which, I can't help noticing this thread has got 10 comments with zero citations/links. Three comments are Hydrocabron's always useless paid sarcasm, and one is the closet case Forthood trying to be funny (and only being sad), but some comments are actually from intelligent people. Shouldn't someone ask, how do we know this alleged event even happened, let alone why? I should perhaps apologize for my too literal mind, what with the looking for data and evidence and so on, but my credulity disability prevents me from crediting an OP that has no names, dates, or other verifiable information.

• On 21 Nov 2014 in Stuff Liberals Say, curious2 said:

sbh says

If conscription were a mandatory pre-condition to sending any of America's youth into conflict it would hinder our government's tendency to squander the blood of the underclass and the taxpayer's treasury....

I don't know who Disliked your comment, but that is one of the Democrats' rationales for conscription. (They use that when Republicans are in charge. When Democrats are in charge, they support the war but say it's unfair for only poor kids to be getting shot in it.) I would be interested to see if there are data showing conscription reduces the likelihood of war, but I suspect the opposite. For example, Wilson introduced peacetime conscription specifically to increase the chance of American involvement in WWI.

sbh says

both of which I would gladly trade for kowtowing to the medical industrial complex.

It isn't really a trade. The latest Iraq war was authorized by most Congressional Democrats. LBJ introduced the Viet Nam draft, Medicare and Medicaid. It is to some extent a maximalist vs minimalist view of government. (I say "minimalist" because the word "conservative" has been hijacked.) The maximalist view says "We're right because we're smarter or holier, therefore we should require everyone to do what we say." Our current system favors ambition and arrogance, with the result that in both the private and public sectors we see CEOs who lie and overreach. Whether Dick Fuld or George W Bush or Gruber, fortune favors the bold, for a while, and the game is rigged to privatize gains while socializing losses.

• On 21 Nov 2014 in Why the run up in generic drug prices, curious2 said:

tovbot has been extolling Grubercare for years, with misleading headlines. Now, as yet another consequence of Grubercare's infinite spending becomes manifest, tovbot asks why. What did you think was going to happen, when a gusher of infinite mandatory spending opened up? That nobody would figure out how to cash in by raising prices? NVS has basically doubled since Grubercare got signed, surely tovbot knows someone who can explain the connection.

humanity says

50 years ago in the south a white racist would almost definitely be a democrat.

Democrats do run from their past because the types of people that are democrats now, were in many cases republicans long ago.

A realignment started mainly with FDR. Teddy Roosevelt was a Republican, so FDR couldn't compete with TR's sons for Republicans' favor, and decided to run as a Democrat instead. The father of MLK Jr was a Republican, until JFK's support for civil rights won him over.

But, even as the parties switched sides on issues like racial equality, some patterns continued. Democrats have been the party of conscription, even in peacetime, since Woodrow Wilson took what were then unprecedented actions to get America into WWI. LBJ began conscripting Americans to fight in Viet Nam, without ever declaring war; even after Nixon ended that draft, Carter reinstated registration. In recent years, I have only heard Democrats say we need to activate the draft for the Iraq War and now to deal with ISIL, for example. Clintoncare/Grubercare/Obamacare conscripts Americans into the service of the medical industrial complex. Each party has its own animating conceit: Republicans imagine themselves morally superior, while Democrats imagine themselves intellectually superior. (The Democrats have actual data to support their conceit, but it doesn't change the fact that even smart people are sometimes wrong.)

As I see it, the 2014 midterm reflected Americans' frustration at being conscripted into Democrats' latest bad idea (Grubercare). It's alternately funny and sad to hear people misuse discrete words like "liberal" and "conservative," and apply one label or the other to whatever they like or dislike. Grubercare is neither liberal nor conservative, it is merely a bad policy that conscripts the American people into further empowering Bill McGuire and his preferred political patronage networks.

CaptainShuddup says

people...are now a Race?

There, fixed that for you. Whatever abomination produced your TenPoundAss combination of confusion, disrespect, "holier than thou" arrogance, and profanity obviously failed to read you Matthew 25:40. Either you make the effort to see each of your fellow people as equally human, or you don't; it's a binary concept.

CaptainShuddup says

In my celebration I respect them, you have never seen me post a racist picture, or inject infantile idioms or stereotypes.

Yes, we have seen you do that, and mocking the occasion of a family losing a patriarch.

• On 20 Nov 2014 in Students, and Jerry Brown protest tuition increase, curious2 said:

HydroCabron says

The California State prison budget is now bigger than the entire higher education budget, including both UC and the Cal state system.

The California State medical budget now exceeds the entire education budget, including all education K-12-PhD. In fact, medical spending is the largest item in the California budget, and education has been reduced to accommodate it, despite the fact that education is the #1 predictor of longevity. (Medical insurance pales in comparison, but we are no longer permitted to live without that.)

• On 20 Nov 2014 in This is just low - Obamacares Subscriber Rolls Include Unpublicized Dental Plan, curious2 said:

tr6 says

curious2 says

[In Mexico,] Dentists list prices on their websites and put warranties on their work.

In US, if you don't have insurance, "cash" prices are often higher than prices negotiated by insurance companies. So you almost have to have insurance to get the best deal.

That is how the American insurance racket operates in medicine and dentistry: the premium is protection money, to protect you from the overcharge that the insurance contract requires the provider to overcharge everyone else. In many instances, the copayment covers the entire real cost and the insurance premium avoids only the insurance-driven markup. However, even if you pay the premium, you're still not getting a good deal, let alone "the best deal." As SBH has noted, many American providers will negotiate discounted prices if you're paying directly rather than via insurance, even if they start by quoting the insurance retail "sticker shock" price for the anchoring effect. An American dentist who offers procedures with and without insurance explained patiently to me how the insurance was always a worse deal. Having read the prices dental insurance policies pay dentists, I would be embarrassed to use one, and many dentists refuse rightfully to participate. Subsidized and mandatory insurance "benefits" have ruined the medical and dental markets in the USA, so Mexico is the best deal in North America.

BTW, big employers provide employees' SSNs to Luxxotica as a "benefit", so the employees get a discount at Luxxotica subsidiaries e.g. LensCrafters and Pearle Vision. Of course, the discounted prices remain much higher than Zenni Optical, so it isn't really a vision "benefit," only a retail advertising gimmick.

CaptainShuddup says

Go to Gentle dental, for $89 bucks they will take about 40% off your bills, plus you get free dental cleanings for the year.

Beware those deals too. I don't know that company, but in general the "free" cleanings are there to lure you in so they can upsell you more expensive procedures that you would be better off without. You are married to a Latin American - bring your children to visit their grandparents, and go to the dentists there.

• On 20 Nov 2014 in This is just low - Obamacares Subscriber Rolls Include Unpublicized Dental Plan, curious2 said:

Go to Mexico for dentistry. Dentists list prices on their websites and put warranties on their work. You can get the same quality for 70% less in Mexico than in the USA.

• On 20 Nov 2014 in Nevada's new house speaker is anti-semitic white supremacist, curious2 said:

The question you should be asking is, how did Democrats lose to these guys? Republicans have only one policy position with majority support: opposing Grubercare. Democrats' insistence on that disastrous policy is producing ballot losses nationwide, but Democrats lose themselves in sarcasm and calling everybody stupid liars rather than reconsider that policy. No rational party would impose an unwanted but mandatory policy, touching every citizen intimately without consent, and not expect adverse reactions at the polls.

• On 20 Nov 2014 in US Makes more Friends, curious2 said:

thunderlips11, you know I respect you and often Like your comments, but this thread shows a different side of you and you seem to be mistaken. You're probably right about the F-35, but as noted above, drone swarms will soon render even your preferred aircraft obsolete. I see somebody went through and Liked your praise of Kissinger and Disliked all criticism of him, but AF is probably correct in calling Kissinger an (unindicted) war criminal. The horrifying losses in southeast Asia, and the terrible tragedies in Latin America (specifically in Chile and Argentina) have his fingerprints all over them. It's hard to imagine how someone in Paraguay would not have heard about Chile, for example.

• On 20 Nov 2014 in Just what SF doesn't need: The Olympics, curious2 said:

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

Combat team squeegee events could put SF in the Pantheon of Olympic history. Imagine mobs of homeless from around the world battling with SFs grimiest for the Gold!

You're thinking New York, where the squeegee guys could surround and sanitize an SUV faster than piranhas skeletonizing a cow. SF's vagrant population are so whacked out on Rx drugs they wouldn't know what to do with a squeegee, maybe smoke it and inhale the chemicals.

CaptainShuddup says

Wait until Russians get a load of the bathrooms without stalls, in the gay bathhouses.

I will defer to your experience of the bathhouses. I thought they had closed years ago, but maybe you're old enough to remember them.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Deflation Rearing its Ugly Head Around the Globe, curious2 said:

Heraclitusstudent says

That's an interesting point but I'm not sure it addresses what was discussed

You're right, it was just a thought after your spoons and fork. I already addressed the OP topic, and a spurious claim about employment. Tying the two together, I would point out that GDP and other macroeconomic measures (including CPI) were developed for the purpose of generating objective data that could inform policy choices. Alas, these indicators have become fetishized at the behest of certain industries. As your spoon & fork metaphor showed, increasing "employment" does not necessarily result in value (or greater overall utility), and the medical sector amplifies that point by producing many examples of people who are objectively worse off because they produce more demand and employment. The FIRE sector mouthpieces want inflation, so they love perennial inflation in the medical insurance sector and hate deflation driven by productivity gains in other sectors.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in US Makes more Friends, curious2 said:

thunderlips11 says

Kissinger, btw, tried to get us the hell out of Vietnam with something of our prestige intact.

You are being very generous to Kissinger there. The illegal expansion of that conflict into Cambodia and Laos did not protect American prestige. Also, Chile's 9/11 was a disaster, as Chile's current could explain in more detail. My personal favorite example of Kissinger advice was when he told Nixon to resign so that people would forget all about Watergate.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Deflation Rearing its Ugly Head Around the Globe, curious2 said:

Heraclitusstudent says

Otherwise we would pay people to dig holes with a spoon and other people to fill them with a fork.

Currently, we pay agribusiness to fatten people with corn syrup, then pay the medical industrial complex to manage the resulting diabetes. It "creates jobs," or so we are told, as people get fatter and sicker. (Conversely, actually curing or preventing diseases would eliminate jobs, so instead we convert diseases into chronic revenue models.) While productivity gains in other sectors (e.g. tech) cause prices to fall, we can count on the medical insurance sector to produce inflation every year, as legislation written to maximize revenues puts new technology to work for that purpose.

tatupu70 says

How would lack of demand not cause unemployment?

This is why people say you are iwog without facts and links, as if a separate account on a portable device. You changed the subject in order to prolong a FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT instead of admitting the falsehood of your assertion. It is obvious to everyone except perhaps you. Go ahead, get the last word; keyboard tennis with trolls is a waste of time.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Dry San Diego to look to sewers as water source, curious2 said:

New Renter says

Depends on how much it costs

You keep writing about the cost of desalinated water, but you seem never to mention the full cost of "free" water, e.g. CA's latest bond issue. Building all that tunnel/pipe/canal infrastructure uses a lot of energy too, e.g. bulldozers and many miles of concrete, all of which requires maintenance and security.

• On 19 Nov 2014 in Ferguson: case closed!, curious2 said:

Ceffer says

I didn't know Eskimos could Photoshop.

A laptop with Adobe Photoshop pre-installed fell out of Santa's sleigh and landed on Nanook's igloo. At first, Nanook was upset about the damage to the igloo, but the kids began playing with the laptop and one thing led to another.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 4469 milliseconds to create.