Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 11 Sep 2014 in Somebody please enlighten me about AAPL, curious2 said:

thunderlips11 says

Samsung makes the chip in the iPhone.

Samsung made the A7, but the A8 is made by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC).

Apple and Samsung have a complicated relationship. During much of the Apple v Samsung litigation, Apple was also Samsung's biggest customer, including chips and displays; that might still be true. They compete, they litigate, and they continue making stuff.

• On 11 Sep 2014 in People like this should be sued, horse whipped and banned from teaching, curious2 said:

CaptainShuddup says

People like this should be sued, horse whipped and banned from teaching

I assumed this would be a thread about marcus, but apparently it's about somebody else.

• On 11 Sep 2014 in Our Huge Hassle With Airport Security, curious2 said:

thunderlips11 says

The whole liquids thing...revolves around the highly unlikely scenario where somebody, and the flight would have to be at least 12 hours long non-stop, that somebody would occupy a restroom for the entire flight and try to grow explosive crystals. He would need tons of ice to produce his explosive crystals, and maybe end up with enough to break one of the windows.

Do you have a source for that? I read that there will be new contracts to purchase and operate new equipment to detect liquid explosives. Also as Dan's link noted, security auditors have got through with what they call liquid explosives. I imagine that anything flammable could probably start at least a smoke condition, e.g. using lighter fluid to accelerate burning the carpet or the trash bin, and that would require the plane to land. (OTOH, it seems even using a Knee Defender can require the plane to land.)

Dan8267 says

The real solution is to retire commercial air travel, at least domestic air travel for now. Privately owned maglifts can get you from place A to B cheaper and more conveniently than commercial air travel.

I like the Hyperloop idea, but nothing has yet been proven to substitute for air travel. Even if evacuated tube technology works, it would take years to set up each link between cities, and a tube might be as vulnerable as a plane - more so in the sense that damaging a tube would make the whole line unusable and might cause a pileup, like shutting down an entire flight lane for possibly months. Air travel works pretty well, although I've been avoiding it due to the security theater and the nuisance fees and the airline consolidation resulting in all sorts of unpleasantness. Ironically, the best time to fly was 2002-2005, when everyone else was afraid to fly: plenty of seats, low fares, crew happy that somebody found the courage to join them on the plane.

• On 10 Sep 2014 in Multiple Streams of Income, curious2 said:

Patrick says

I do plan to write more.

The Medical Trap

The Good Nurse became a NYT best seller while telling only one story that was obviously only the tip of an iceberg. The same executives and corporations that enabled a serial killer remain in charge, with bigger bonuses than ever before.

• On 10 Sep 2014 in Our Huge Hassle With Airport Security, curious2 said:

Strategist says

What are the option, then?

Some PatNetters seem to post rhetorical questions that I misread as literal. This question, addressed to me specifically, might be an example. I assume you've read the comments above about life in other countries that achieve similar or better security without American theatrical spending. I don't understand why you would need me to refer you to the same page that you posted the question on. If you have traveled outside America's borders, or longer than the period of theater, you should already have noticed these differences. I think the TSA has actually stopped taking away nail clippers now, so hopefully without too much fear of contradiction I can now say that taking away nail clippers was not necessary. The number of hijackings by nail clippers did not increase when they were allowed on board. Likewise, making people take off their shoes, prohibiting pilots from traveling with toothpaste and shampoo, making people pack all their liquids in a clear plastic bag, the x-ray scanners and millimeter wave scanners, are all rather dubious in terms of efficacy. The shoe thing started with a guy who got on a plane in Paris, the CAPP system had already flagged him as a terrorist but nobody at CDG thought to check his shoes; it would probably be enough to check the shoes of CAPP-flagged people (either by removing them or swabbing them or having a dog at the gate). It makes no sense to waste resources including time over-scanning people who aren't terrorists; that's theater and possibly abuse, not security.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 305 milliseconds to create.