Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 28 Sep 2014 in No, social security is not a mess, Bellingham Bill said:

At some point we're just going to have to print the debt payments -- going with the MMT experiment -- and see what happens.

printing SSA's SSTF liquidation as we need it is probably a good first step, if we can't raise taxes like we actually should if we had a functional political system.

• On 28 Sep 2014 in No, social security is not a mess, Bellingham Bill said:

marcus says

Realistically, Gore's "lock box" should have been created. But Bush thought tax cuts, mostly for the rich was a much better way to deal with the projected surpluses we had in 2001.

sadly, one of the biggest owners of UST debt is the social security system itself. Part of the recovery medicine -- ZIRP -- has killed the paper gains they were getting under Greenspan.

About half of the $2.7T in the SSTF is thanks to SSA collecting a compounding 5-8% on the excess FICA taxation of 1990-2010.

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/progdata/intRates.html

Now they're only getting 2% on the debt they rollover

debt held by the public (not counting SSTF) / GDP

we've hit the Japanese Curse . . . debt loading too high for interest rates to go up w/o knocking out the system itself.

• On 21 Sep 2014 in Prices in Santa Clara county at all time high, Bellingham Bill said:

Fill The Bay!

• On 20 Sep 2014 in nVidia release 900 series!, Bellingham Bill said:

marcus says

do you build it yourself,

this will be my 5th Wintel build, third from newegg.

My first in the late 90s and from parts from T-Zone, a now defunct electronics superstore that was in Akihabara

http://en.akihabaranews.com/74871/highlights/t-zone-one-of-akihabara-most-famous-store-goes-under

they had an entire floor dedicated to PC parts, you'd carry your basket and fill it with the components you wanted, just like a Fry's here.

Before I discovered newegg in 2005 I really wished someone would invent it! So great having one-stop shopping and a semi-reliable review system.

New Renter says

GTX 750Ti

that's the same "Maxwell" generation as the 900 series (oddly, nVidia skipped the 800 series this numerical go-around)

Microsoft probably provides $140 of value, when amortized over 5-10 years at least.

But with valve's Drang nach Linux I hear ya. I haven't actually purchased any Windows software in my life ever, well, other than Visual Studio 2005.

As for the build, I may drop the CPU down to the 3.3Ghz version (which is also gimped to 28 lanes) with an eye for updating when Broadwell-E comes out next year. $200 savings there.

Also, the 970 is benchmarking close enough to the 980 I guess, so that would be another $200 savings, again with an eye towards upgrading the GPU next year or whenever it makes sense.

The Noctua DH15 looks to be marginally better than the DH14, so I might go with that, too.

I've got a Windows 7 box w/ 2.4Ghz Conroe & 5770, and got the upgrade itch.

This box should last through into the 2020s; at half the cost of a Mac Pro, it's a good value when amortized over its years of use (hobby (?) game programming and Maya).

In real terms, the $2100 in 2014 is $1100 in 1989 money, 1/5th the cost of my IIcx.

• On 20 Sep 2014 in The big right-wing housing bubble lie - OC Housing News, Bellingham Bill said:

siklidkid says

So you vote for evil and are OK with it. Got it.

Yes, since the lesser evil is, in fact, a lesser evil.

In 2012 there was only two actual choices for president, Obama or Romney. No third candidate was going to win, given the constitutional structure of presidential elections.

You could sit home, or vote some third party, but all that results in is the heightened possibility of the greater evil winning.

We saw first-hand this dynamic in 2000, when 538 Nader voters (of ~100,000) in FL, (and 7,000 of 23,000 in NH) threw the entire election to Bush.

Same thing in 2004 when Kerry needed just 18,000 more voters in OH to win the entire election.

Now, in 2014 if you can't see the difference between Gore or Kerry vs. Bush being president in 2001-2009, you lack the mental wattage for me to waste any more of my day on you and your tired bullshit here.

• On 20 Sep 2014 in The big right-wing housing bubble lie - OC Housing News, Bellingham Bill said:

siklidkid says

welfare has the propensity to encourage a condition in which one lacks liberty especially to determine one's course of action or way of life." is that better?

defend that. I can read the words but don't see the causality.

the one feedback dynamic that supports this viewpoint is the rise of single-mother households, and, probably more significantly, the rise of single mothers having way too many kids, starting at a very young age at that.

In this case the welfare state does set up a feedback loop of dependency, in that the children lack the ubringing and familial resources -- social capital especially -- to move up in life.

But I don't see any "lack of liberty" here. Not having to work for The Man in some shit job is pretty freeing, actually.

• On 20 Sep 2014 in Where the jobs will be: Non-degreed health workers, Bellingham Bill said:

elliemae says

They are the people who are providing services that don't require bachelor's degrees. There are many different vocations that don't require bachelor's degrees.

fair enough; I didn't mean to denigrate honest labor like that; my underlying point was our economy is going to add a lot of demand in simply preserving (as best as we can) the well-being of the baby boomers as they age and die off this decade and next.

This is a different sort of economy than the classical economy of providing new wealth in goods and services -- it is an evolution of the consumer economy, one where the consumption is essentially repair of existing wealth (in this case, the actual bodily health of the consumer)

jazz music says

clouding the count of the votes.

and also propagate the lies that voting doesn't matter and/or there's no difference between the two parties.

siklidkid says

People bitching back and forth like fucking children.

There is indeed differences of opinion in this country. Millions want direction A, millions want direction B, and we're not going to change each other's minds on this.

On dozens of important issues where the electorate (that bothers to vote) is more or less evenly divided. Thus the bullshit.

siklidkid says

Welfare is slavery.

now that's a (right-winger) Thought-terminating cliché if I ever saw one.

I'm not a big fan of the welfare state, but if it's all we've got to buffer the masses from the predations of the parasitic wealthy, I'll take it.

There are better arrangements, but we're not going to get there from here.

siklidkid says

Well, I choose not to vote for evil.

that's not our elections are presently structured. You've got to pick the lesser evil, or the greater evil will take the office.

Unless you're OK with that, then go right ahead with that strategy. It's a free country, for now.

One thing the Tea Party is doing right is terrorizing all politicians to the left of them at the primary level, where not many people bother to vote at all.

This has resulted in a marked shift to the (far) right since 2010.

Leftists lack the numbers, media connections, and rich benefactors to organize similarly, alas.

Looking at the polls, we're pretty much fucked, and it's going to get worse this decade and next.

Politicians are just a mirror of the people who elected them. This is a profoundly flawed country by that measure.

• On 20 Sep 2014 in Where the jobs will be: Non-degreed health workers, Bellingham Bill said:

thunderlips11 says

Yup. Jobs of the future.

came here to say that, yes.

wiping old boomers' asses is our main growth industry, now - ~2040.

shift that curve 20 years to the right to see the demand on health services.

• On 19 Sep 2014 in Japan takes page from U.S. playbook - blames weather for economic woes, Bellingham Bill said:

"Abenomics is struggling in Japan"

deflation is baked into that cake, LOL

• On 17 Sep 2014 in Another $Trillion in debt in just 12 months as Jefferson says, Bellingham Bill said:

darlag says

in 2008

what happened in 2008 was the 2002-2007 debt edifice collapsing like a WTC tower.

people started defaulting on their loans because they ran out of money.

The Fed cannot run out of money, not unless the Executive appoints super hawks and/or Congress takes its toys away.

It will happen again whether or not you believe otherwise.

This is just your own belief system doing the talking.

The fact is the world economy is covered corner to corner with fiat currency systems now. This is not the 19th century or the 1920s, nor the 1970s.

I don't pretend to understand or foresee what's going to happen over the next 30 years (if I could, simple currency hedging would make me a billionaire), but I do know our macro systems can remain crazier than the observer can remain sane.

I think what's gone on 1984-now is going to continue through to 2044 and beyond.

shows how 2000-2010 was The Great Leveraging.

We'll figure out how to do it again. Life is so great when everyone can borrow money, as much as they want.

• On 17 Sep 2014 in Three strikes and gold is out, Bellingham Bill said:

• On 16 Sep 2014 in Stop predicting the dollar will collapse, Bellingham Bill said:

more debt, more interest, more money, more inflation.

but: also more opportunity, more business, more jobs, more actual wealth as more people contribute to the economy in producing goods and services instead of sitting around starving.

• On 16 Sep 2014 in Stop predicting the dollar will collapse, Bellingham Bill said:

What cost $100 in 1800 would cost $48.89 in 1850.

What cost $100 in 1850 would cost $100.10 in 1900.

What cost $100 in 1900 would cost $288.67 in 1950.

What cost $100 in 1950 would cost $714.61 in 2000.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 1235 milliseconds to create.