Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 19 Nov 2014 in Who are the best investors? Those who forget they have an account., AverageBear said:

Reminds me of that saying (paraphrasing..): Investing is like a bar of soap; the more you touch it, the smaller it gets.

I think Dividend Growth Investing (DGI) is one of the better strategies:
    - Pick 20-30 stocks from David Fish's CCC list.
    - Only buy them when P/E is below 21.
    - Never sell unless they cut the dividend.
    - Stay in the market. Don't time the market. You will always lose if you try.

It's that simple. And anyone that tells you that you need to devote an hour per week per stock, is full of shit. Keep the stocks for 15+ years, reinvest the dividends (or don't DRIP, and buy 'whatever's on sale' among your holdings, and the 'magic of compounding' will do the rest.

These blue-chip companies will be around longer than you will tread this earth, growing dividends faster than inflation. If you don't have the stomach to see these stocks fall 10-40% during a correction, then "di-worsify" into an index.

• On 14 Nov 2014 in And on the fourth day Gruber said, AverageBear said:

HydroCabron says

Speaking of liars, the little moron is back for more beatings!

Finally get over having our boot up your ass, eh? Ready for more richly-deserved humiliation and ridicule?

It's Nov 14th, and the putz STILL can't figure out he and his team lost... Dude, the curtain has been pulled. The nation doesn't believe Obama, you and your ilk anymore.... GOP govenors in IL, MD.... You lost the Senate.... Most lopsided victories in the House.... Serious chance Obamacare will be repealed.... All of our world allies of the US wondering what the fuck is up w/ Obama. Preach on preacha!

HydroCabron says

AverageBear says

I don't think the supposed Fox 'lies' compare to the golden standard of Obamas lies;

I can think of some interesting conservative lies on ACA:

1) It mandates Death Panels which will decide when Granny goes to the glue factory

2) It pays for health care for undocumented workers

3) It funds abortions with federal money

Well, obviously the voters disagree with you. They thought Obama's lies were more devastating. And they are.

HydroCabron says

In 15 years, even Fox News will be admitting, as they are now with Clinton, that Obama was a good president.

First off, Obama is a far, far cry from Clinton. Second, Clinton got his ass kicked in the mid-terms, and was pretty much forced to deal w/ the requests of the Senate, Gingrich, etc. Clinton actually put his ego aside, and did the right thing, and got some good things done (welfare reform).

I have ZERO faith that Obama will do the same, after he got his ass handed to him 10 days ago.

Obama will NEVER be seen as a good president... He'll be filed under "C" for Carter...

humanity says

You guys (including Fox noise) shouldn't have to lie if you had legitimate criticisms of the ACA.

I don't think the supposed Fox 'lies' compare to the golden standard of Obamas lies; 1) Save $2500 on average 2) Keep your doctor 3) Keep your plan....

"if you had Legitimate criticisms of ACA (AKA Obamacare)'.... Now that's a punch drunk statement if I ever heard one....

You do know that the mid-term elections were basically a referendum on Obama's policies (ie Obamacare), don't you?

HydroCabron says

This has surpassed the Travel Office firings, and is fast approaching BenghazIRSolyndra as the signal scandal in American history.

No, it just validates the outcome of the midterm elections we had 10 days ago... The voters figured out that if it looks like shit, and smells like shit, well.... IT'S SHIT, and they didn't want it anymore. They were just lied to by Obama and told it was ice cream. And the sheeples believed it for 6 years....

• On 13 Nov 2014 in Why Democrats Lost, AverageBear said:

I think the Dems lost because Obama lied to us. In order to get a smaller group of uninsured covered, he had to fuck over a really big group with insurance. And how did he do it? He had to lie: Save $2500, keep your plan, keep your doctor. The arm-twisting at the 11th hour to get it passed... It's that simple.

Defend Obamacare all you want. Every Dem trying to keep their job wanted to hide their record of supporting Obama, and wanted him far fuckin AWAY from their campaign.... And Nov 4th proved them right....

• On 13 Nov 2014 in Looks like the tea party is done, AverageBear said:

JH says

AverageBear says

AHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!! Man, Nov 4th was REAAALLLL GOOOOD. I've never seen an ass-kicking so complete.

Was your head in your ass in 2006?

Nope, but I'll tell you one thing JH. The boot was in the Dems ass 10 days ago.... Maybe you can help in pulling it out.... Most house reps since 1940 anyone? ...... How did it feel on Nov 5th, eh? I couldn't stop laughing myself...

• On 13 Nov 2014 in Looks like the tea party is done, AverageBear said:

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!! Man, Nov 4th was REAAALLLL GOOOOD. I've never seen an ass-kicking so complete.

Just for fun, I tuned into MSNBC the night of the 5th, and Rachel Maddow (Mrs. Too-Tall-Jones, Auntie Goony-GooGoo herself), and she was talking about some tiny shit-stick town in northern california that re-elected a Mayor (Mr. Butts, IIRC) that will stand up to Chevron, which has a refinery in its town... REALLY Rachel? Is that all you got? It's like your house getting swept away in a tornado, but HEY! The mailbox at the curb was unharmed!!

There is NO WAY liberals can turn this shit-sandwich into cavier, in what went down Nov 4th. Obama REPEATEDLY said, that although he wasn't up for re-election, his policies were. And boy did the results show....

Finally, Edvard2, you are sadly mistaken that the Teaparty was created by billionaires. Do billionaires (Koch Bros) help out the teaparty? Sure, but billionaires (Soros, Hollywood, etal) help out the lefties too. What's next, you're gonna tell me the sun rises in the east?

Govenors being elected in Maryland, Illinois? Priceless. Black, hispanic, young, and women republicans getting elected in the house and senate? Black republicans winning in the south? Yeah, the GOP is the party of old white men... PFFFT!!!

• On 7 Sep 2014 in On the other hand..., AverageBear said:

JH says

17,000 is unreasonable for stocks and we know that anything that still gains in the coming months (years?) will be soon wiped out, so investing in stocks is as risky as ever. But as the anatomy of a bubble shows, the bubble spikes when the general public gets in.

---------------------------
    JH, I kinda disagree that we are in a 'stock bubble'.... Slightly overpriced? Sure. But if you want a REAL bubble, go back to '98-2000. THAT was a real bubble. KO trading w/ P/Es in the 30-50s! Currently KO has a P/E around 22, which is far from 'bubble prices'. I wouldn't be buying KO right now, as I usually buy it when P/E is 20 or under... But it not that big a deal if you were accumulating for the long haul... Same goes for many other blue-chip stocks.

• On 7 Sep 2014 in On the other hand..., AverageBear said:

If one invests in individual stocks, I really don't care what the pundits say, concerning if 'the market' is overpriced or not. The cash I have to deploy into one of my 30 holdings, will go to the ones that have the best current value. I'll hold (but not add) to those positions that are currently expensive P/E-wise....

As a Dividend Growth Investor, I'm 'in it for the long haul' with each of my positions, because (blue-chip) dividends are WAY more stable than stock price. By selling to cash, I'm missing out on dividend payments, which would get DRIPPED into more shares.

It's not for everyone. Those that have time (and the Maalox) to trade in and out, could make more $$, but i have neither the time, luck or Maalox to trade. I'd rather sleep well at night and pick up solid, quality companies on the dips, and increase the drips...

• On 20 Aug 2014 in Fraying 1980s Billionaires, AverageBear said:

Rin says

Afterwards, when the place went into this long term Ballmer quagmire, it became a sweatshop without the setup of a startup company, long hours plus creative input from workers. That's when many of my acquaintances joined and in the end, none of them liked it nor thought it was a good place to be, for more than a couple of years because it was all about Ballmer.

--------------------------------------
    Rin,

Here's the deal. You sound a little emotional and have a moral opinion or problem with MS and Ballmer. And that's OK. I have no problem with that. It sounds like you (or, your friends) were inside the MS shitstorm than I'd ever see, and know a helluva lot more of what went down.......I try not to get emotional when investing. (imagine Jack Nicholson's voice in "A Few Good Men")... "Within a successful shareholder-friendly company, you want a person like Ballmer on the line. You NEED a person like Ballmer on the line. Either way, i don't care. I'm going to keep my shareholder's happy".....

MS turned from a high-growth startup company, and transformed into a reliable Dividend Growth (blue-chip) company. Over 30 years, and still successful in an insanely changing tech industry.

I'm sorry Ballmer treated your friends like shit, but that's your friend's problem, not yours, mine, or the shareholders of Microsoft. Ballmer didn't turn Microsoft into a 'quagmire'. He did his job, and he did it REALLY well. Not many people can guide/transform a high-growth "startup" into a solid, reliable money-making machine; especially during some really transformative years in the tech industry no less.

It sucks that these developers were Ballmer's bitches, but they allowed it to happen, and tolerated it to make a good buck.

It sounds like Ballmer was a true asshole. But guess what? If you had a serious skin in the game (say a 6-7 figure investment in MS), you'd sure as shit want Ballmer running the game to make you money. Did MS fuck up some serious opportunities to continue the dominance (it has lost)? Sure. Coulda-Shoulda-Woulda-Whatever.... If you were, or are a long-term shareholder of MS, you can't hate Ballmer for growing your $$. If you do/did hate him for not making you enough $$, then you can't blame anyone else but yourself for not realzing a better opportunity cost for your dollars to work harder for you somewhere else.

I'm positive you'll find managers like Ballmer at Apple cracking the whip both in the US, and in China to design and put those iPads and iPhones together. But if you are an Apple shareholder, don't kid yourself that it's all unicorns and rainbows for all employees of Apple, cause it's not. Same can be said for Intel, etc....

I want to be an owner of these blue-chip, money-minting companies, and not work for one.... I'm hoping I can put in 10 more years of work, quit, and live off the dividends in my early 50s. Then I can spend time drinking beer w/ my sons, get a front row seat, and enjoy watching these clowns enjoy their 20's and 30's like I enjoyed mine.

• On 20 Aug 2014 in CNN is so desparate to keep this thing going..., AverageBear said:

I started reading this tripe, and somehow it reminded me of Chris Rock's bit... "How NOT to get your ass kicked by the Police"...

I'll never know what it's like as a black man when encountering the police. But whatever color you are, you treat them with respect. You do not know if the guy with the gun and badge had a good day or not. It behooves you to 'be nice', and swallow your pride any time you deal w/ the police. You may never know it, but they appreciate it when you kiss their ass and show respect.

Now on to the show. Chris Rock if fuckin' hilarious......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ

• On 20 Aug 2014 in Cherokee Lizzy came out with 11 Commandments of Progressivism, AverageBear said:

Quigley says

Race is becoming less an issue every year as inter race couples marry and procreate. Then their kids do the same and how confused would that 1/4black, 1/4 Asian, 1/4 white, 1/4 Latino kid be when it comes time to check the "ethnicity" box on his college admission form? Is he an oppressed minority or an elitist cracker?

-----------------------------------------
    Quigley, you have a point. But when you lie on a job application, and the employer allows the lie to perpetuate for it's own personal gain (Harvard bragging they now have a woman 'professor of color'), that's a completely different matter. Then on top of all of this, the liar (that would be Liz Warren) takes her career public, she lies about the lie she used to 'game the system'. (Harvard does not hire professors out of Rutgers; sorry but it's the truth)...

See, it's OK to lie when you are a liberal. The press (MSM, Boston Globe, et al), will give you a pass, and spike an 'inconvenient truth', but won't have the same sympathy if you aren't a liberal. It's just the way it is.

Thank God Boston is a two paper town, with the Herald, calling out BS on both sides of the isle. If the story gets traction, the Globe is then forced to at least mention any transgressions a liberal might have done.... Sad, but it's just the way it is.

And now all of the low-info liberal voters are rallying around Liz Warren for president. Un-fuckin'-believable. I can't wait to see her in a debate again. It's a shit-show of stammering, repeating 3-5 phrases that are unrelated to the question ("the middle class is getting hammered"), while having that stupid granny, "deer in the headlights" look....

• On 20 Aug 2014 in Fraying 1980s Billionaires, AverageBear said:

Rin says

I hadn't met one person, who'd enjoyed working at Microsoft. Everyone there was Ballmer's b*tch and the man drove the place like a white collar sweatshop, not this fountain of innovation and creativity.

-----------------------------
    I'm no Microsoft fan-boy, but of all the MS folks you supposedly know, well, nobody put a gun to each one's head to stay and work there.... And, although i don't personally know anyone that's been invested in MS since the 80s-90s, but I'm sure those longs are pretty content on what MS did for them as an investment. I wish I were one of them. I think they are catching a 2nd wind in transitioning into the cloud aspect of the business. Oh, and MS is VERY shareholder friendly. Again, not a fan-boy of MS, just a realist....

• On 19 Aug 2014 in Does the 2nd Amendment apply to black people?, AverageBear said:

lakermania says

Straw Man says

After Heller and McDonald? It can't be.

Yeah I kind of doubt that too. From what I understand, in MA, the police chief can choose to deny you a license to buy firearms if you have a mental or criminal history background, but barring that you will be approved. And their governor, a few days ago, signed into law a bill that says a police chief cannot deny you a concealed weapons permit for no reason. He/she must indicate the reason you are being denied a CCW in writing, and you now have the ability to appeal a denial.

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it. If MA is so "gun friendly", why all the lawsuits?

• On 19 Aug 2014 in Fraying 1980s Billionaires, AverageBear said:

Comparing a Warren Buffett to Facebook is the most idiotic thing I've heard all week. Let's see where Facebook is in 30, 40, 50 years. It ain't no google, and may follow the footsteps of MySpace...

• On 17 Aug 2014 in Does the 2nd Amendment apply to black people?, AverageBear said:

Does the 2nd Amendment apply to ANYONE in Massachusetts? (or blacks in MA for that matter?)... NOPE...

I laughed at this thread initially, because unless you know the Chief of Police of your MA town/city, more often than not, you are not going to be afforded your 2nd amendment rights in Massachusetts.

That's right Martha. You want a gun to keep in your house to defend your property/family/home? You need to go to your town's Chief of Police and BEG. If he doesn't like you, doesn't know you, (pick any excuse), he can pretty much deny your 2nd amendment right to buy/keep a gun. And that's that..... And you can thank a liberal for this denial of our 2nd amendment in Massachusetts.

• On 17 Aug 2014 in Cherokee Lizzy came out with 11 Commandments of Progressivism, AverageBear said:

Some more 'facts'....

http://elizabethwarrenwiki.org/elizabeth-warren-native-american-cherokee-controversy/

..."When confronted with this information, Warren admitted[12] she had filled out forms listing herself as Native American, claiming she wanted to meet other Native Americans:[13]

Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, fending off questions about whether she used her Native American heritage to advance her career, said today she enrolled herself as a minority in law school directories for nearly a decade because she hoped to meet other people with tribal roots.
    “I listed myself in the directory in the hopes that it might mean that I would be invited to a luncheon, a group something that might happen with people who are like I am. Nothing like that ever happened, that was clearly not the use for it and so I stopped checking it off,” said Warren….
    “Being Native American has been part of my story I guess since the day I was born,” said Warren, who never mentioned her Native American heritage on the campaign trail even as she detailed much of her personal history to voters in speeches, statements and a video. “These are my family stories, I have lived in a family that has talked about Native American and talked about tribes since I was a little girl.

...."That explanation did not make sense[15] because the AALS faculty directory only listed Warren as “minority,” not as “Native American,” so putting herself on that list was not a way to meet other Native Americans.....

..."The Genealogical Evidence Shows Warren Has No Native American Ancestry
    Detailed genealogical investigation by a group of Cherokee genealogists[31] showed that Warren had no Cherokee or other Native American ancestry. The findings are set forth at the blog Thoughts From Polly’s Grandaughter[32] which based the research on over one hundred primary sources,[33] and detailed the findings:

The team and I have done an exhaustive search on the genealogy of Elizabeth Warren. We have researched ALL of her ancestral lines, but have only posted those she claimed were Indian here in the blog. None of her direct line ancestors are ever shown to be anything other than white, dating back to long before the Trail of Tears."....

• On 17 Aug 2014 in Cherokee Lizzy came out with 11 Commandments of Progressivism, AverageBear said:

I still can't believe the majority of my idiot neighbors voted for this fraud. How sad is it when Democrats celebrate a complete liar, who gamed the system. I'm sorry, but Harvard doesn't hire professors out of Rutgers. Oh but wait! She's a professor of color! Says so right on her application, see! She checked off Indian, so it must be so. No proof? No problem! Harvard's quota is filled HOOORAYYY!!!! Now that she's been at Harvard for a few years, she stopped checking the box. WTF?!

- Also, many facts were spiked by New England's paper of record, the Boston Globe. The fact that she was a house flipper back in Oklahoma seemed to get swept under the rug by the 'beautifiul, low-info voters'... I'm sure this audience can't really like that fact.

- The fact that she can't debate her way out of a paper bag seems to go unnoticed, as well.

- Want to make her go away? Ask a tough, legit question. She runs for the hills.

• On 12 Aug 2014 in Warren Buffett's Super-Simple Retirement Advice, AverageBear said:

......or, start with David Fish's dividend champions list, and pick you stocks in that pool to start. Buy companies that give you C-A-S-H every 3 months. ETFs are for those that don't want to learn how to grow money, and are content not to LOSE their money with a gigantic basket filled with 'meh'....

Need proof? Read this....

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2412225-retirement-strategy-the-absurdity-of-believing-that-dividends-dont-matter-in-retirement

• On 5 Aug 2014 in Shameless bragging, AverageBear said:

HydroCabron says

Unless you have 70 hours a week to do research, you should just buy unmanaged index funds and bond funds.

Patrick, don't pollute your excellent skeptic reputation with this horseshit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Talk about horsheshit.... What a condescending remark. "Well, let's assume 100% of investors are incapable of learning, let alone learn as an investor"... Yes, let's throw in the towel, and accept the lame excuse (and earnings) of 'worsification'... Yes, there's nothing more gratifying than holding a bag of mediocre/lame companies (shit) that the majority don't pay dividends.

• On 3 Aug 2014 in Warren Buffett's Super-Simple Retirement Advice, AverageBear said:

HydroCabron says

Unfortunately, 100% of investors believe they can beat the market on 2 hours of research per week; most believe they can pull it off by buying 4-5 stocks and trading frequently.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    This investor consistently beats the market (not that I really care if I do), on 2 hours of research a week..... However, i don't trade frequently. It's called Dividend Growth investing. And oh btw, it works.

One of my holdings, Coca Cola (KO), is one of my 'foundation stocks'... It happens to be a $$ machine, which Buffet owns (around 9% of the entire company, IIRC)... "Do what the rich people do", I always say....

• On 4 Jul 2014 in Shameless bragging, AverageBear said:

HydroCabron says

Picking individual stocks is a fool's errand.

Do it for fun only.

Every casino has customers who know how to beat roulette, the slots, and black jack (I am excluding counters, hole carding, shuffle trackers, and ace sequencers here). The casino rightly regards these people as their best customers.

Unless you have 70 hours a week to do research, you should just buy unmanaged index funds and bond funds.

Patrick, don't pollute your excellent skeptic reputation with this horseshit.

I totally disagree. If you stick to dividend growth stocks, and buy on the dips (or close to or under a P/E of 20, you will do well. If you crap your pants and sell during a market correction, then you can only blame your cowardice. 70 hours a week? PFFT. I'll only sell if they cut (or freeze for a long time) dividends. Dividends are waaaay more stable than stock prices... I put 67 to 75% of my equity portfolio in blue-chips and the rest in riskier stocks for capital appreciation

• On 4 Jul 2014 in McDonalds worst burgers may be hurting the stock, AverageBear said:

....yet MCD will still churn out dividends in good times and bad, making 60% of its revenues overseas where the growth is. Like PHILLIP Morris and Coke, these are core holdings that I don't consume. I'll laugh at all the "shit burger" jokes (all the way to the bank...)

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 1024 milliseconds to create.