Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 27 Jul 2014 in Oakland is number one!, The Professor said:

Strategist says

Oh, that sounds like fun. Maybe I will try it.

If you're ever in SF you can catch a ferry (boat) over to Jack London Square; very pleasant waterfront.

P N Dr Lo R says

The Professor says

and have been the victim of numerous property crimes (mostly auto break-ins)

You can get used to anything, I guess.

No. I lose faith in humanity every time and then I kick myself for forgetting not to leave valuables in plain sight before they "disappear". I do, however, know the cheapest place to get a broken car window fixed in Oakland.

I once had some school district keys stolen and had to wait for almost 3 hours for the police to arrive and write a report. I suspect many property crimes and some violent crimes are not reported because the police are such a hassle.

Strategist says

I would never buy there nor would I go near it.

I sailed down the Oakland Estuary with friends yesterday and docked at Jack London Square and was surprised by some kind of "bicycle fest". Charming and colorful people, live music, and cold beer; just one of many fun events always going on in Oakland.

There is some kind of new "Beer and Pizza" pub at Jack London but it was too crowded so we walked up Broadway to Everett and Jones for some delicious BBQ. There are dozens of restaurants coming and going and more than a few that have been there forever. Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Mexican, vegan, and more within a few blocks of Jack London.

I sound like a tourist rep for my home city.

I was born in Oakland, have lived and worked there for many years, and have been the victim of numerous property crimes (mostly auto break-ins), but never a victim of any personal violence.

There are a few neighborhoods that should be avoided, but most of Oakland is safe. Just don't leave anything of value in sight unsupervised and know where you are and where you should not be.

• On 27 Jul 2014 in "Place to Avoid" - French Blogger Fined $2,000 for Writing Bad Restaurant Revi, The Professor said:

I learn something new everyday from the references I get on Patnet.

For the unmotivated
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

• On 27 Jul 2014 in BREAKING NEWS: NEED A JOB? THE GOVT IS HIRING TROLLS Read more at http://invest, The Professor said:

Quigley says

tatupu70 says

I put Bigsby and Tat on Ignore because of their contrived obtuseness. They are much too literate to NOT be sock puppets.

"For Wikipedia's policy on sockpuppets, see Wikipedia:Sock puppetry.

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception. The term, a reference to the manipulation of a simple hand puppet made from a sock, originally referred to a false identity assumed by a member of an Internet community who spoke to, or about, themselves while pretending to be another person.[1] The term now includes other misleading uses of online identities, such as those created to praise, defend or support a person or organization,[2] or to circumvent a suspension or ban from a website. A significant difference between the use of a pseudonym[3] and the creation of a sockpuppet is that the sockpuppet poses as an independent third-party unaffiliated with the puppeteer."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sockpuppet_(Internet)

Bigs and Tat and one of the Bobs, who are the other sock puppets on Patnet?

• On 27 Jul 2014 in BREAKING NEWS: NEED A JOB? THE GOVT IS HIRING TROLLS Read more at http://invest, The Professor said:

Quigley says

It's not about changing minds, it's about throwing enough doubt into a discussion to make it go away.

Exactly! The implausible is excused as, "not beyond a reasonable doubt"! "Aliens did it!"

Quigley says

Count on them to support the official story and shit all over anyone who openly questions the media propaganda.

If the inconsistencies and outright lies of the "official story" are not exposed we are condemned to a state of eternal wars for peace, an ever recovering economy where fewer and fewer actually work, and SOMA for the masses so they can pretend their misery is paradise.

• On 25 Jul 2014 in Gay is an unhealthy lifestyle., The Professor said:

iwog says

Health care needs to be universal or it needs to be administered based on how much you can pay or it will be utter chaos.

I would propose universal basic care. Free clinics, research hospitals, and "wellness" for all. No charge for basic and preventative health care including dental and vision.

If the wealthy want to hire private doctors it's their money.

Medicine should be a career where people come to help others because it is their calling not because it is a lucrative career.

No profit should be made on making people healthy as it encourages medical companies to make people sick.

Healthcare for all, not insurance reform.

• On 25 Jul 2014 in Example of sustained right wing propaganda screwing up the country, The Professor said:

iwog says

The only rational conclusion is that millions of Americans are incredibly stupid

I'd prefer we call them ignorant and educate them.

Health insurance is a disaster. Government mandated healthcare is a bigger disaster. Clinics should be local, easily accessible to everyone, and with no guards at the front door asking for your insurance card. Imagine how many people could be freed up to deliver care if they weren't employed in billing and applying for "insurance reimbursement".

Healthcare for all, not insurance reform.

• On 23 Jul 2014 in The modern women can no longer cook, they no longer want children and..., The Professor said:

iwog says

I'm siding with the right wing on this one

Said the duck!

• On 23 Jul 2014 in Actual Gold and Silver Manipulation, The Professor said:

The all-time high price for silver was hit on 18th January 1980 at $49.45 per ounce. Back then you could buy a candy bar for a quarter. 35 years later, a candy bar cost a dollar and the price of silver is $20.95. It is not cheap to mine silver, refine it, and press it into coins. Buy it while it is on sale because the price will probably go higher.

• On 22 Jul 2014 in Zombie Lies, The Professor said:

Call it Crazy says

I've got to believe Dan and bob are the same person.

I'm pretty sure Bob is a unique (possibly real) individual with some good and some sock puppet ideas. He keeps you wondering.

Now Dan is an advanced form of AI programmed to spew Petabytes of data. He gives thorough insightful analysis with a liberal bent and the twisted logic of the programming team that created him.

• On 22 Jul 2014 in NYC apartment building to have seperate door for the poor, The Professor said:

BayAreaObserver says

Extell's proposal allows them to force affordable housing tenants to walk through an entrance located in a back alley behind the building to enter

Force? Out of the goodness of their heart these developers included low rent apartments in their luxury building.

• On 22 Jul 2014 in Some criminal bank executives should go to jail, The Professor said:

Peter P says

The Professor says

golfplan18 says

Some criminal bank executives should go to jail

ALL criminals should go to PRISON!

So, speeding drivers should go to prison too?

No, we have jail and fines for minor offenders.

The rule of law does not apply to the 1%. When we have laws that don't apply to certain connected people, respect for all laws is diminished.

Your example of speeding drivers is just an example of little enforced laws. There are so many laws on the books that we are probably all criminals (law breakers) in some way or another.

A driver speeding down the highway is a criminal by definition but in no way comparable to the criminal banksters who knowingly ruined lives by their illegal manipulations.

• On 22 Jul 2014 in Some criminal bank executives should go to jail, The Professor said:

golfplan18 says

Some criminal bank executives should go to jail

ALL criminals should go to PRISON!

• On 21 Jul 2014 in Is the Stock Market Near Collapse?, The Professor said:

Blurtman says

And then a carefully planned terror attack will destroy all records of dodgy derivatives held by the TBTF's prompting the USA to invade Malaysia.

And I thought I was the cynical conspiracist.

• On 21 Jul 2014 in Is the Stock Market Near Collapse?, The Professor said:

myob says

I think that this time around, we won't have much of a nominal crash, since the fed created so much liquidity, but we'll keep slowly sliding into a state of increasing economic stagnation as this cheap money creates increasing capital misallocation, robbing the productive economy of resources.

Excellent Point!

The big crash of '29 was based on gold and silver backed money. Todays stock market is based on fiat based federal reserve notes. How can the stock market go down when the fed can keep creating money to buy up more shares!

Eventually the ones with the money will end up owning everything, assuming the peasants don't revolt.

• On 21 Jul 2014 in U.S. smokers say higher cigarette taxes are unjust, The Professor said:

CaptainShuddup says

Indeed so Liberals taxing vices, is them doing the Lords work.

When is the Liberal bible meet, so we can shame all of the sinners in the congregation.

We never saw you smile b4 Cap'n.

• On 21 Jul 2014 in Business background is best for governing, most Americans say, The Professor said:

tvgnus says

Don't strongly endorse the idea of having more political novices in office Four out of every five Americans (81 percent)

SO 19% DO "strongly endorse the idea of having more political novices in office". 40% medium endorse, and an additional 21% weakly endorse for a total of 80% wanting to get the "professional" politicos out.

Edit: I made these numbers up but it sounds about right.

• On 20 Jul 2014 in Fortune Magazine- The Housing Recovery is Over!, The Professor said:

smaulgld says

http://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/2014/07/17/whats-really-holding-back-housing-recovery/

From the article:
    “Construction jobs pay well, but what we can interpret from this is Americans are unwilling to go out in the sun and play with dirt to help build homes. They want an air-conditioned job. It is frustrating, the job market isn’t normal, they pay well but the builders are having a hard time finding skilled workers.”

Maybe more H1B visas would fix it?

• On 20 Jul 2014 in What do you make of this?, The Professor said:

Presidents are becoming more expensive?

• On 20 Jul 2014 in Bay Area apartment rents continue relentless rise, The Professor said:

cloud15 says

http://www.globalrichlist.com

Calculator won't allow negative equity.

How rich are we in this debt based system?

Wealth is well being not net worth.

• On 20 Jul 2014 in CEO pay has no rational basis, The Professor said:

mmmarvel says

I promise to show up for at least a day.

I'd "work" until the golden parachute opens!

• On 20 Jul 2014 in CEO pay has no rational basis, The Professor said:

It's all paper. For sure we need cash to satisfy our daily needs, but does an excess of money make you happy?

What is an excess?

When the top makes so much that they accumulate faster than they can ever spend that is too much.

When the rich make their money from collecting rent on those who are enslaved to debt, that is too much.

When there is a "class" of people who, through accumulation of power and money, are above the law, that is too much.

We are heading for a Louis XVI society. The top are owning it all, hiding behind guarded walls, collecting rent, and living in their own little world. When asked about the poor not being able to afford food and fuel because the rent is too high they say, "they were too stupid, lazy and retarded to buy".

When the day comes and the masses, who can plainly see the corruption of the system, get too hungry do the "elite" really think their hired guards will open fire on the people?

Unfortunately they have the media, mini-guns, and weapons of mass destruction at their fingertips. With todays technology, a couple of evil humans can kill billions.

• On 20 Jul 2014 in The problem is gentrification, The Professor said:

The Original Bankster says

they were too stupid, lazy and retarded to buy.

WAHHHHHHH! you gentrifyers! fuck you all!

Are you sure you're not Roberto?

• On 19 Jul 2014 in Should the Government Promote Homeownership?, The Professor said:

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

If President Black appointed me Secretary of the Treasury

Screw that! AF for benevolent dictator until he got the world's problems sorted out!

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

Blaming abandonment of underwriting principles in the 90s and naughts on CRA is a complete canard confected by the diabolically mendacious for the misedification of the credulous.

Poetry! Another excellent post from our resident prophet!

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 203 milliseconds to create.