Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 2 Apr 2014 in What Happens When "The Workers" Just Don't Care Anymore?, The Professor said:

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

Hard to get motivated when half the congress personally lives and breathes to doom you to homelessness.

Amen

• On 30 Mar 2014 in More than half of uninsured dont know health care law deadline is looming, The Professor said:

carrieon says

This is great! Even the poor getting Obamacare for free don't want it.

It's not free. After subsidies they have to pay $1 a year. Do they have to pay deductibles as well?

The government spends too much on healthcare insurance.

We should cut out those bloodsucking middlemen and provide healthcare for all, not insurance reform.

• On 29 Mar 2014 in My plan to restore science & engineering in America, The Professor said:

theoakman says

We taught math better 40 years ago than we do now. That's a fact.

What level math did you teach?

I have taught basic algebra but no further.

From k through college I have had awful math teachers and awesome math teachers. The bad teachers inspired fear of numbers and the best let their love of numbers shine through in their lectures.

In my educated and experienced opinion the only way to learn math is to do math. The Khan Academy makes it easy to learn math by doing it.

• On 29 Mar 2014 in My plan to restore science & engineering in America, The Professor said:

Rin says

In other words, aside from a handful of type A, highly driven academic personalities, a vast majority of the population would never be able to pick an online curricula w/o the carrot & stick, or was it stick & carrot, of a traditional classroom environment.

What's your assessment of that type of thinking?

I agree and it is unfortunate.

Many college students do not belong in college. They are there because there is no where else to go. They do not want to learn, they just want a degree so they can make lots of money.

Rin says

Khan Academy

... is the most awesome way to learn math ever developed!

Education is going through a paradigm shift.

When I started teaching I was the expert at the podium. My job was to lecture, assign assignments, and give tests. The students job was to regurgitate. Knowledge was stored in the ivory tower.

The new paradigm is the learner. The Internet has allowed everyone access to the information. The job of the instructor is now to guide the student through the knowledge and help them gain skills and understanding.

From my experience as a college instructor for the last couple of decades; the students have been less prepared and the tuition has been getting more expensive.

An autodidact could learn more than any college graduate but will not get a job without that expensive piece of paper.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 307 milliseconds to create.