Show Comments That Contain...
  • On 23 Jan 2015 in OpenTable, SFace said:

Things like cloud, box, workdays remove the need for huge desk and cabinets.

With the cost of real estate, it makes sense to pack them a little closer.

plus the fact that seeing the eyes of your colleagues encourages a little more teamwork and benefit.

• On 22 Jan 2015 in L.A. tech funding hit $3 billion in 2014, SFace said:

tech funding hit 48B in 2014, the highest on record. 2013 was 29B so tech funding increased by 65% yoy.

San Francisco took home 25% of the record pie. mostly from Uber and their 2.4B.

• On 20 Jan 2015 in All about San Francisco Tech Companies, SFace said:

Patrick says

I think nationally housing has already crashed and is not about to surge any time soon.

Also, I'm just kind of bored with the topic. Much more interested in the SF tech companies I interact with or walk past every day

That's the problem with a housing bubble site, it is temporary.

The problem with SF tech companies is, it is too niche (SF tech) so 99% don't give a damn nor will there be anything useful. So you will have an empty forum.

The initial list is 350 companies deep. That is probably 15% of the total (tech companies only, around 2,000+). That is why SF housing price will go up for the next two years minimum.

• On 17 Jan 2015 in Where'd all the forums go?, SFace said:

Patrick, nice guy,

But his ten reasons are plain wrong and useless. I debated every point in the past.

• On 15 Jan 2015 in A looming farewell--though not good riddance--to RadioShack, SFace said:

It's called radio shack, no different than typewriter shack. You can't operate 4000 retail stores based on 1970 concepts. There's not enough Jvolstad out there.

They should have switched gears a decade ago and call it cell phone shack. The same type of thing you see at Best Buy mobile stores today.

• On 3 Jan 2015 in Is this new house loan the "game changer"?, SFace said:

Reality says

LOL. So it's a 5% 15yr loan with a teaser rate of 2.25% for the first 7 years.

That's a great deal. Lol

• On 3 Jan 2015 in Is this new house loan the "game changer"?, SFace said:

Great program if it is available. Lendee benefit, banks make Jack squat.

• On 31 Dec 2014 in Should I keep this property or sell?, SFace said:

E-man says

SF ace,

Given the options, cash in refi makes the most sense to me. I'm totally against the idea of selling. Even losing $200/month, that's $24k in 10 years. If history is any indication, there's a high probability the condo will worth $500k by then.

Although this investment is a dog, he can turn it around with a cash in refi. It's the cost of learning. The alternative is to find another positive cashflow investment to off set this dog. Given where we are in the cycle, finding another property that makes sense is not an easy task. Out of state investing is sure a loser even though the numbers look so rosy on paper.

yep, the mistake was made buying at the seventh year of a bull run, at 6.75% fixed rate. Two awful choices.

• On 31 Dec 2014 in The 2014 housing market and my prediction for 2015, SFace said:

To elaborate further.

bull markets last 6 years which approximately about doubles. We are entering year 4 and around 50%.

Granted, we won't have crappy lending standard like the last cycle. But in the SFBA, we have a kickass economy but interest rates like we are in a recession. On the verge of some of the highest wage inflation in recent times. I see two more years taking the run to 75%.

• On 31 Dec 2014 in Should I keep this property or sell?, SFace said:

E-man says

Some people might say cash in refi is throwing good money after bad. It depends on your personal financial situation and your risk tolerance. I'd do exactly what I suggested above, but that's me.

5.25% is pissing money away when banks are screaming 3.5%. Unless he has better plans with the cash, that returns an excess of 8% (5.25% + delta of 1.75% on 230K) , that's what I will do.

I never understand how people find ways to save a few bucks for coffee, clip coupons, ,line up 2 days to buy some beats headphones on thanksgiving and then piss away thousands every year paying stupid interest rates (vs. peers).

If the renter is not willing to pay the rent, sell the place (vacant).

• On 31 Dec 2014 in The 2014 housing market and my prediction for 2015, SFace said:

cloud15 says

Final thoughts ?

E-MAN, Iwog , Sface , suboink - happy new year to you and everyone else on the board

my predictions are the same as the last two years.

2015 will look like 2014. seller's market but not much real seller. purchaser will have to bid up (again)

2014 was a great pivot year as the market was just slow enough to set up for 2015. Logan has a bunch of fancy graphs on demand that means nothing. Homes are purchased with assets, not median income. Suppliers don't supply and demander's, tough luck. I want some sf Giants season tickets too and yet they go up like a mofo. (This tells you median income don't mean jack squat)

• On 30 Dec 2014 in Should I keep this property or sell?, SFace said:

1) up the rent.

2) bring in cash refinancing. (5 year arm). (Or wait until summer to do the refi and hope for better appraisal then and hope interest stays the same). That is why a lot of people don't want jobs and growth to get too hot as it is more profitable that way.

problem solved.

• On 24 Dec 2014 in Should I keep this property or sell?, SFace said:

Raise the rent to market. (Presuming not rent controlled). If it is vacant. Put it in the Market for both rent and sell. Don't be afraid of vacancy as it is a good thing.

Your issue is the rent is too low and interest too high. Those are not permanent problems. Get those fixed and you will have a more sustainable investment

• On 12 Dec 2014 in Cheap places to live for tech besides Bay Area, SFace said:

move to Vallejo (for cheap rent and cheap relocation) and continue to look for a job in the SFBA.

• On 8 Dec 2014 in Bloomberg Financial Interview at the BNY Mellon Conference: Housing Reality, SFace said:

median income only matters (partially) for the median homes. prime property (like hidden hills) are about wealth.

• On 2 Dec 2014 in Condo insurance policy experts, please come on in and join the fun, SFace said:

I would buy none of them as insurance companies make a killing on these niche things which are basically useless. It's no different buying a warranty for your new TV at BestBuy as you get ripped off like a mofo.

Keep the money, put it in an index fund, that is my insurance policy.

• On 17 Nov 2014 in Mish Buys a Basket of Miners, SFace said:

epic fail

It is insane to put significant amount of money in miners, notwithstanding a basket of them which are all the same.

If you love gold, just put 10% in an index. If you put significant money on them, you are begging to be not being able to sleep.

• On 15 Oct 2014 in The implications of being right about stocks, SFace said:

buy the dip

• On 14 Oct 2014 in Personal loan for down payment questions, SFace said:

This is silly, get the bank account # and send your old man 20K.

• On 6 Oct 2014 in Take Father In Law's Offer?, SFace said:

Instead of the living arrangement, ask to just borrow the downpayment and pay back every red cent. Saving 1500 a month does squat to homeownership goals in sfba.

• On 18 Sep 2014 in Thoughts on the Alibaba IPO?, SFace said:

BABA options wont be written until things settle in a week or two. Those are Yahoo premiums for Sep 20th which expects a huge move.

The 10% (Yhoo) out of money next day call is a whopping 25 cents. 20X normal as they are 1 in 100 longshots or around a penny normally.

• On 16 Sep 2014 in Thoughts on the Alibaba IPO?, SFace said:

buy Yahoo. Options pricing it like 48 by Friday

• On 14 Sep 2014 in Average Profit for a Rental?, SFace said:

The averrage net worth of a homeowner is anywhere from 30x to 40x more than a renter. Landlords are rich, renters are poor. If there is a chance to own, own. It does not matter anywhere. Cap rates are high or low for obvious reasons.

Like any business, understand permanent, fixed cost is the key. Texas, a state with high property tax and high maintenance as a % of rent is bad, and that is reflected in the lower price. Ca, a sate with low prop tax and maintence as a % of rent is good and that is also reflected in the price. Low fixed cost to maintain an asset and easy source of customer is the key to own it forever which drives value long term.

Housing is the only business in the world that a mom and pop can kick reits ass or large enterprises. No need for scaling or any special expertise.

Instead of asking a question on patnet, all you need to do is read the 10k from Avalon bay, equity one, or even silver bay. A mom and pop beats their return by 100%

• On 13 Sep 2014 in Nevada gives $1.3 billion to Tesla but can't afford a medical school, SFace said:

States and county competing with each other. You would think govt should not compete with another govt. Guess not. Only in the USA.

• On 12 Sep 2014 in Dear iPhone 6 users, welcome to 2012!, SFace said:

IPhone 6 will sell well due to a long overdue size bump.
    It's i7 that's problamatic. The products are becoming a commodity. There's just little difference now so those lofty industry leading margins will surely come down from here. The iPhone6 is the exact same shit as all the fagship phone now. The finish is no different than the htc m8. It's worst than any of the android flagship as far as resolution and specs.

This is the first time I feel bearish for apple as this may be it for product pipeline. It's getting gimmicky to grab revenue with beats by Dre, etc. Att, Verizon may finally have some levergage. Iwog is right. The i6 has nothing. It will sell amazing but in 6 months, it would be pretty clear there is no difference. Or worst, a cheaper built phone than the rest. All signs point to it.

Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 33 milliseconds to create.