Anyone here feel cheated?

By Goran_K following x   2012 Apr 30, 6:35am 56,926 views   196 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

If you don't want to live in an apartment for 20 years, you're forced to participate in a ponzi scheme and overpay for a home. You want to live in an area without gang fights in a dirty alley behind your house every night, and have your children go to schools without metal detectors at every entrance, better be a dual income earning couple who is willing to teeter on the edge of foreclosure every month while eating ramen noodles, and going out to Jack in the Box for fine dining.

Be a saver? The FED makes your money worth less and less. The market starts to correct? Home inventory "magically" disappears just in time to create a false bottom.

How do you win? Any tips appreciated.

#housing

« First    « Previous    Comments 117 - 196 of 196    Last »

117   hanera   ignore (0)   2012 May 2, 10:29am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

ArtimusMaxtor says

The port of Singapore, one of the world's five busiest, with the skyline of Singapore in the background.

http://www.ongpohlin.com/2012/03/capitaland-sky-habitat-bishan-condo-new.html is a link to Sky Habitat. Indicative average price of Sky Habitat at Bishan Street 14 is expected to range between S$1,700 psf and S$1,800 psf. That is, S$1 million can only buy a 556 sqft built-in unit.

118   RentingForHalfTheCost   ignore (5)   2012 May 2, 10:29am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

FunTime says

tiny tina says

What are you doing eating cookies with people you hate instead of spending time with your child?

Maybe his baby likes cookies.

Now if they served baby cookies I would be willing to pay at least 100K more for a house. Forget granite counters, neptune W&D, sub-zero double-wide fridge. Baby-cookies would rock!

Also, just for the record I don't 'hate anyone'. However, I do not like some peoples intentions towards my hard earned money. Get back, go get your own! I wouldn't call that hate though.

119   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 2, 10:34am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

fil says

Of course if you are self employed it is brutal...been there too.

I'm self-employed by Patrick.net.

So far, my direct experience is that the principle factor preventing small business formation in the US is Republican opposition to the public option.

Republicans talk about how much they love business, but what they really mean is that they love BIG business, and they don't want you to be able to compete with it.

If you are dependent on your big employer's insurance, that makes the big employer happy, and they donate to Republican candidates who promise to keep you dependent that way.

120   hanera   ignore (0)   2012 May 2, 10:38am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

ArtimusMaxtor says

121   FunTime   ignore (0)   2012 May 2, 11:54am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

orbitron says

I remember arguing about gas prices with some uninformed guy and he was unaware that gas companies make around 30 cents per gallon of gasoline if you include upstream and downstream income while in California, federal and state gas taxes add up to around 60-70 cents per gallon!

Inform us all. Cite your sources. Margins, and cost break-downs, on any business are typically difficult to learn, unless you work in that business and watch a balance sheet.

122   gromitmpl   ignore (1)   2012 May 2, 2:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

fil says

Of course if you are self employed it is brutal...been there too.

I'm self-employed by Patrick.net.

Patrick - I don't get it. I too am self employed so I sympathize with the plight of the self employed but when you say the "principal barrier is..... etc" I am thinking we are living on different planets. I guess if the only reason you start a small business is to buy insurance than the cost of insurance would be an obstacle but even if you admit that you have to jump from there to various economic theories before you start thinking about "the public option" problem. At the very least I don't think you can say your opinion is intuitive. I'd have to hear your argument before I agreed.

Day in day out the biggest, by a wide margin, problems I face come from the government (city, county, state and federal) -- no I am not a drug dealer....

123   Eliza   ignore (0)   2012 May 2, 3:28pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I have to agree. It can be difficult for small businesses to obtain insurance. In California it is a bit easier, since any corporation with two or more employees is eligible to buy insurance, though the insurance company surely sets the price, and the price will be high. However, I know a lot of sole proprietors who operate without insurance because they cannot afford or cannot obtain insurance as individuals. I also know a very bright engineer who spent years working for a cable company rather than for the innovative start-ups that would have suited her better, but could not offer good insurance right away. Access to insurance defines many people's working lives.

124   clambo   ignore (4)   2012 May 2, 4:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Wow, so it's Republicans who are making health insurance expensive?
What a bunch of total nonsense.
Which party belongs to the ambulance chaser lawyers? Hint: John Edwards was one.
Who should pay for the health care of the millions of people who refuse to buy insurance?
Why should health insurance companies be told to 1. cover pre-existing conditions 2. pay for nonsense fake snake oil treatments, e.g. accupuncture, chiropractic, coffee enemas?

125   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 2, 11:41pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I think that's a correct assertion. After all, who pays for their political campaigns?

126   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (36)   2012 May 2, 11:48pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The only solution to anything is total deregulation of everything allowing the free market to develop naturally into a dystopian monopoly the way that the baby jesus wants.

127   FortWayne   ignore (4)   2012 May 3, 1:06am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I don't think it is about dependence. Healthcare costs have been going up and up for many reasons. But biggest one is the supply and demand curve. And when healthcare reform attempted to push what government considered "affordable insurance" it sounded like anything but.

Insurance, as you know, is predicated on a risk analysis. Balancing higher risks with higher premiums with mixed pools of members and claims to create a wide risk offset. But in case of Obamas healthcare plan people are free to squander physician resources on everyday colds and other non emergency hickups at a very high cost.

My biggest concern here is that similarly to the housing bubble, this bill will force a subsequent Healthcare bubble which will be brutal. People can rent and save money, housing isn't all that. But healthcare...

128   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 1:45am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OK, it's not all about dependence, but that is a large part of it. The US Chamber of Commerce, which is basically representatives of the F500, was intensely opposed to the public option and the logical conclusion is that it is a threat to their control over employees. Another factor preventing the public option is the large amount of money insurance companies can spend lobbying.

FortWayne says

I don't see that at all. What makes you say that? Obama's plan keeps all the same expenses: no limit on premiums, co-pays, deductibles, etc. Obama's plan does not squander money at all as far as I can tell.

Anyway, Obama's plan does not include the public option because he sold out to the insurance companies and Chamber of Commerce just to get something past Congress so he could point to that as an accomplishment.

And I'm not talking about a public option that covers everything. Just life-and-death stuff. Just enough to make it possible for people without large amounts of money to go out on their own and start a small business that competes with the F500.

129   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 1:54am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

clambo says

So you're for the mandate that everyone buy insurance? Thath makes you an Obama supporter.

clambo says

1. Because denying coverage for pre-existing conditions is rigging the game in favor of insurance companies and bankrupting lots of people through no fault of their own.

2. Those are straight off AM radio and just not true. For example, even though there is an accupuncturist lobby, they have not succeeded in getting it covered:

130   FortWayne   ignore (4)   2012 May 3, 1:55am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

That one I agree and did not like either. Young people are now forced to enter into commerce involuntarily because of this, it was such a no brainer that all health insurance stock spiked.

My fear here is that there is no incentive to keep costs down, insurance is required to spend certain amount on claims and send refunds if target isn't met... which to me seems like a huge incentive to simply spend more on claims. While trying to cover everyone for everything is also as I posted earlier would negate the risk pool aspect. And provider networks probably are salivating over that one since they've been strongly pushing for increases.

I do like some aspects of the reform, but as a whole package it makes me feel very uneasy.

131   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 3, 3:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

How unpatriotic of you. The Forbes 500 are entitled to do business w/o competition. That's what America is all about.

132   clambo   ignore (4)   2012 May 3, 3:29am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick you don't understand what insurance is.
Can you get car insurance to cover collisions AFTER you have crunched your fender? Try it and get back to us.
I don't get my information from AM radio. If the insurance doesn't cover snake oil and fake "treatments" then that is what I WANT.
The only part of the Obamacare nonsense that made sense to me was the concept that people must pay for insurance if they seek medical treatment.
I agree that people who have no insurance and who can afford it, should have to buy it.
How exactly to make this happen is the problem, because it's probably illegal for the federal govt. to force someone to buy something.
My solution would be repeal the law that requires hospitals to treat people who have no insurance.
For instance, the illegals from Mexico crash their bicycle and need to go to the ER for stitches. This happened to Daniel a few months after he came here illegally from Mexico.
He paid nothing for this medical treatment.
But, if Dominican had said to him "come up with $1500 or you can sew it up with dental floss" he WOULD have come up with that $1500?
How do I KNOW he could come up with the money?
Because he was HERE. How do you bleeding hearts think the Mexicans get up here? Do you think they have a star trek beaming machine operated by a tooth fairy? CASH got every single illegal alien across this border.
All of the illegals (except Maricela) has a ton of cash stashed and they can afford medical treatment and they SURELY can afford medical insurance.
I support the Swiss approach to medical insurance coverage. Of course, they've got an advantage of being Swiss and not idiots who have bleeding hearts for people who sneak into Switzerland to steal.

133   clambo   ignore (4)   2012 May 3, 3:35am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Do you support tort reform to rein in ambulance chaser millionaire shyster lawyers? Y/N
Do you support every person paying for his medical insurance? Y/N
Do you support every person having responsibility for his own luck? Y/N?
Do you support every person having to seek help from his family before the taxpayers? Y/N
Do you support people being able to buy insurance according to their needs and not conditions and treatments invented by government? Y/N
Do you support people being able to buy health insurance sold over state lines, like car insurance? Y/N
Do you support illegal aliens and indigent Santa Cruz trolls getting unlimited free medical treatment? Y/N
Do you support taking my money from my pocket to pay for health care for illegal aliens and indigent Santa Cruz trolls?
Are you nuts?

134   FunTime   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 3:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

clambo says

No, but I only have the documentary "Hot Coffee" on which to base my opinion. The Chamber of Commerce seems to have it out for anyone's ability to prosecute cases of tort. If someone is torted, I want them to have a legal process to help them negotiate the entity responsible for the tort.

The idea of countless cases of tort resulting in millions of dollars of cost appears to be a marketing job by the Chamber of Commerce.

135   PockyClipsNow   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 4:01am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Clambo gives me a new idea: pretend to be canadian here illegally and get free treatment at ER if im caught uninsured.

"I crashed my bicycle, eh!" "The street traffic is much safer in Toronto, eh!".

Does this work for whiteys? hmmmm

136   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 3, 4:05am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

PockyClipsNow says

"I crashed my bicycle, eh!" "The street traffic is much safer in Toronto, eh!".

Classic!

137   ATK   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 5:00am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

absolutely right Goran_K, savers are being screwed... stock market is volatile... houses are a depreciating asset just like cars, but it is a nice day!

138   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 3, 5:09am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

gromitmpl says

Government is controlled by Big Money a.k.a. Big Business.

Big Business uses Big Government to do their bidding against the interests over everyone else.

139   SiO2   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 11:51am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

fil says

Of course if you are self employed it is brutal...been there too.

I'm self-employed by Patrick.net.

Patrick, I work for a big company, but I agree with you. Especially for someone who has a pre-existing condition; pre-ACA there would be little chance of getting coverage. And even if one could get coverage, there's the good chance that the insurance company would cancel your coverage if you made a significant claim.
ACA should address these cases, and therefore remove one barrier to self employment.

140   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 12:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

gromitmpl says

I get zero problems from the government at all in running Patrick.net. I make so little I paid zero federal taxes this last time, and I'm not incorporated so I don't pay those fees either.

There is zero regulation that applies to me as far as I can tell. The government is WONDERFUL to me, meaning that they leave me entirely alone. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Now insurance is quite another story. They raised my rate 73% in one year with no justification and there was nothing I could do about it, because there is no free market for health insurance. It's just pay or go without, and perhaps bankrupt yourself or die.

Taxes are at least proportional to income. Health insurance doesn't care who the hell you are. You just pay whatever they say, no democracy, no competition, no nothing.

I repeat: the principal impediment to small business formation in America is the private health insurance cartel, NOT government.

141   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (36)   2012 May 3, 12:30pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Say Sooth, Man-God, Say Sooth!

143   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 5:04pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

How do you win

You don't. You either take risks, ranging from calculated to outright foolish, or you are insanely lucky. If you took ANY one-percenter and stripped them of all their wealth and their contacts, they COULD NOT rebuild themselves. Take any one-percenter, take all their assets and force them to change their name and 90-95% of them wouldnt be able to earn it back.

So, what can you do? Take a huge risk. And be prepared to fail , to go broke. Just about every mogul shrugged off failure a few times, but for those middle class with families, its a horrible, rough fall to the bottom. You need to be mentally unstable to take the risks some people take. Unfortunately a bird in hand is worth two in the bush, and I want to try like hell to protect the kids from poverty. House debt slavery in my mind is increasing risk. Why people want to service a mountain of debt, taxes and carrying costs to the tune of 75%+ plus of dual income is moronic. And only the landed gentry benefit.

144   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 5:07pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

is that it is a threat to their control over employees

Yep. The only way to get a raise is to quit and come back. And they know this. And when you quit, you lose seniority (and vacation), and you disrupt health care coverage, so if you have a sickness, you MUST stay put and your wage slave job. Its all about pinning the middle class firmly into place.

145   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 5:19pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

All big business got a LOT BIGGER (banks, energy, the monopoly tech stocks, etc) both in 2008-2010, and 2010-present.

It doesnt matter anymore.

I know I've posted this, but it remains true.

146   bmwman91   ignore (1)   2012 May 3, 5:19pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Mick Russom says

I recently threatened to quit in order to get a title change & promotion, plus some cash. Aside from knowing that management was freaking out over a couple of other people quitting recently, I also knew that they knew I was serious because I have no kids or mortgage. My coworkers with kids & a mortgage can't believe I told my (former) boss, to her face, that they had 5 months to give me what I wanted or I was gone...they all tell me that they can't take that risk, despite some of them wishing that they could. I still get along fine with my former boss, and we have joked around about it since then. I told her that her group really should be finding people with kids & a mortgage and enough experience to know that they want to do the job...she chuckled and agreed. Employees with fiscal burdens don't rock the boat.

147   bmwman91   ignore (1)   2012 May 3, 5:19pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Mick Russom says

148   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 5:26pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

Employees with fiscal burdens don't rock the boat.

Yes. Those who can takes risks because nobody depends on them wins. Those who have dependents either do what Steve Jobs did, take huge risks and pretend his kids don't exist for some time, or you quietly work your bum off in wage slavery to try and save your kids from breadlines.

And Steve Jobs is the billionaire "hero," who runs a sweat shop, pays low, encourages a nasty aggressive corporate culture and shunned his kid for some time, he is the big hero. And its his executive minions who run out and take their loot-money and jack up the house prices in Cupertino so only the upper echelons can enjoy a middle class+ life, while the rest of us rot in the shadow of these nasty, cash hoarding greedy never-give-back mega-corporations. And the shame is Jobs was a normal middle class kid, so was Hewlett and Packard. All these people who built this with innovation have indirectly created a Ponzi monster.

149   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 5:30pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

curious2 says

the AMA cartel

The AMA cartel makes things a lot worse. Cash price for superior care and triple coverage (3 docs for the price of one) is available in India. The Cash price for care would SHOCK you. They have enough doctors there, they are good quality, and the prices are market, unlike the fake market fake economy we have here.

At this point with the cost of travel skyrocketing, our last accessible health care, overseas in India and Costa Rica, is closing. Maybe I cna steal away to Canada - problem there is not getting hypothermia.

150   EastCoastBubbleBoy   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 10:38pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OK.. I didn't read all the posts, but here's the problem for us renters. If you want anything more than a 2 BDRM, you usually need to rent a SFH, as the stock of 3 BDRM apartments is a small portion of the rental market as a whole (at least in my area).

Granted my grandparents raised six kids in a 1200 ft2 house, so perhaps all of us are just spoiled. Do I NEED a third bedroom - no. Would it be nice to have? HELL YES!

When you look at the cost of renting a 3 BDRM space, the asking prices are such that it makes buying a more affordable option with a breakeven point somewhere between three and seven years depending on the underling assumptions.

In short, I might be compelled to take the leap sooner rather than later. No I don't like spending 30% of my income on housing when right now I only spend 15%, but as a wise man once told me "The key to life is to know the rules. You may not like them, and they may not be fair, but if you know the rules, you will find ways to use them to your advantage."

151   Michinaga   ignore (0)   2012 May 3, 11:16pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

Employees with fiscal burdens don't rock the boat.

When legendary Chicago Cubs shortstop and first baseman Ernie Banks went into city politics after baseball, someone asked him about the ideal employee, and he said, "Someone who's married and in debt."

152   ArtimusMaxtor   ignore (10)   2012 May 3, 11:32pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I'll say it again here bless Patrick.net. Freedom of speech is bullshit in a one way conversation like the media has with its hired monkey troup. True Pat has about 20k readers a day. Deal is I can say what I want here. I don't have to sit here like a little kid and get lectured and information in a continual one way diatribe from the debt merchant owned media and their highly trained monkeys. Listening and never allowed to speak.

Seriously you can't eat flowers. All the BEST to Patrick and the good people on here.

For all the crooks heres a bucket of shit enjoy it.

For those of you that have been reformed I will go through my index cards later. Then again WE know.

153   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 4, 12:01am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Michinaga says

God Bless America.

154   Philistine   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 12:09am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Michinaga says

bmwman91 says

Employees with fiscal burdens don't rock the boat.

I don't rock the boat because I prefer staying under the radar, where I can do my job with mediocrity and fleece my employer for annual salary. I have so much more of a life outside of the 50 hours I waste at an office each week.

It's been a lucrative scam for 10 years running now. You only feel cheated if you're not cheating them back.

155   bubblesitter   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 12:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

You only feel cheated if you're not cheating them back.

Good one.

156   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 4, 12:33am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

Hilarious!

It works until the "consultants" come in.

One of the Bobs: "So what would you say...you DO here??"

157   FortWayne   ignore (4)   2012 May 4, 12:36am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

wthrfrk80 says

Michinaga says

God Bless America.

Isn't that Patricks slogan?

Debt is slavery.

158   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 2:13am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

curious2 says

The two are connected though. Government is one mechanism through which cartels increase the cost of insurance, including the prescription mandate, mandatory coverage for disproven toxic pills and their purveyors, the AMA cartel, etc., with the result that medical care and insurance cost 10x more here than in Mexico. There are other mechanisms, e.g. insurers' RICO-like protection rackets with hospitals (wherein hospitals agree to overcharge triple prices for everyone outside of the insurer's network, in exchange for network referrals). Government ends up being a pawn in AHIP/AMA/PhRMA/AHA's game.

OK, yes, business uses government to keep prices high and consumers trapped. Similar for real estate with the NAR and banks. But it's not any inherent problem with government. The problem is corruption of government by businesses.

I worked with a doctor in a lab during my college work-study days who told me she constantly got solicitations from the AMA for money or votes to support laws that artificially restrict the supply of doctors, to keep doctors' salaries high. She even showed me one of the letters. So I'm pretty certain that that is the principal purpose of the AMA.

159   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 4, 2:22am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I wonder how many members of the AMA bitch about labor unions and the UAW...

And to be fair, I wonder how many UAW members bitch about OPEC.

"My cartel is good...the other guy's cartel is evil!"

160   bmwman91   ignore (1)   2012 May 4, 3:18am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

I'm with you on that one. The main driver for my threat to quit was that I was BORED! If I am going to spend 40-50 hours a week at work, I would at least like some sort of stimulating, challenging work. My threat got me moved from the hardware test team to the hardware design team, which is a lot more interesting.

In the end though, I appreciate my employer because it lets me go home & live my life. I had some interviews lined up at Apple & a couple other places as back-ups at the time, and I was relieved that my current employer took my threat seriously & gave me what I wanted. My colleagues that went to Apple & Google...have a lot less time free to LIVE their lives. They can go ahead & be working at 7PM on a Friday (or any day for that matter)...I am up in the SC mountains going for a 10 mile trail run or climbing.

161   FortWayne   ignore (4)   2012 May 4, 3:23am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Certainly explains why there is a shortage of doctors in this country and why AMA makes so much money.

Seems like with every bill government has been trying to reduce the supply and increase the demand while pretending that it's for the good or that they actually care about someone.

162   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2012 May 4, 3:32am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (3)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

I am up in the SC mountains going for a 10 mile trail run or climbing.

You can run 10 miles?

I get winded after 1 or 2 on flat ground.

163   bmwman91   ignore (1)   2012 May 4, 3:39am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

You can run 10 miles?

I get winded after 1 or 2 on flat ground.

Haha, well it all depends on priorities & whatnot. I am a little OCD about personal fitness & it is definitely a part of daily life. Not owning a TV or having a Netflix account buys me the time to do that. I like engineering and it is fun, but in the end, it is MORE fun to go exercise until you have the dry-heaves lol. Some of my friends are in much better shape than me (You run HOW far HOW fast? Shit, I can only run 10 miles at a 7:30 pace!). I guess that being 28 & having no kids also helps me in that respect, too.

If you don't already, you should look into biking / running / climbing. It is a GREAT stress reliever. Seriously. Whenever I get irritated about the housing situation around here, or work is stressing me out, I go for a trail run & throw in some calisthenics. After 30-60 minutes, I couldn't care less about any of it & am just happy to be alive!

164   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 4:06am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Works for me too. I run three miles, three times a week. Not real fast, but it definitely helps lower stress anyway.

165   1sfrenter   ignore (1)   2012 May 4, 4:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

.I am up in the SC mountains going for a 10 mile trail run or climbing.

Ever do races with PCTR (Pacific Coast Trail Runners)? Awesome, mellow crowd.

166   bmwman91   ignore (1)   2012 May 4, 4:52am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

1sfrenter says

Ever do races with PCTR (Pacific Coast Trail Runners)? Awesome, mellow crowd.

No, never heard of them. I will check it out though, sounds like a lot of fun. There's nothing like running on single track through dense forest, coastal scrub and open grassland...all on the same trail! RACING through it...that's gotta be a whole new game!

If anyone here is into trail running & wants to do some of it up off of Page Mill (Monte Bello / Los Trancos) let me know. I can usually duck out of work a little early (not that I really need to now...daylight savings FTW).

168   gromitmpl   ignore (1)   2012 May 4, 1:18pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick - I think you are making an important point. I tell all of my friends that it is much easier to make money around the internet and new technology than it is in some of the older traditional industries. Go try to set up a hot dog stand and see how far you get. You did not need the governments permission to start Patrick.net but tecnically you would most likely need a permit if you wanted to sale lemonade on a street corner.

I do not doubt that the government has interfered very little with you but just wait until Big Govt figures out to get is paws on the internet and all of its related businesses and then i think you will be singing a different toon.

I have a traditional bricks and mortar business as well as an internet business and there is no comparison between the two when it comes to govt regulation. Virtually none with the internet business but with the bricks and mortar biz its a complete nightmare- one which hopefully will soon end.

I'd recommend this book

to anyone who thinks that the government is not a barrier to business - and life in general for that matter.

169   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 3:23pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

EastCoastBubbleBoy says

The key to life is to know the rules

Arbitrary inflation means the rules change on a nearly continuous basis.

170   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 3:29pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

The problem is, the big fish (the fortune 500/global 500 companies) are good at ferreting out this behavior.

In fact a lot of these companies are moving new sites outside of SillyCON valley. Its a scam here, there are a few good people, the 80% of the rest of the stock here is normal trash, except since the cost of living is out of control, we all make too much money for the given productivity in a global sense. And since that too much money isnt enough to buy a port a potty for a house, we all have to cheat to make ourselves sane. What this does is RUINS innovation and creativity. And now we have a crop of billionaires and IPOs based on garbage crap "technology". Its actually worse than pets.com at this point, as these companies are fostering MASSIVE wasting of time with games and spying on us and gleaning every bit of information about us and turning us into the police state or selling our info to the highest bidder.

Welcome to the greed machine. No middle class allowed.

171   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 3:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

wthrfrk80 says

One of the Bobs: "So what would you say...you DO here??"

If you are good liar and / or a psychopath, you can answer this question quite easily.

172   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 3:32pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

I would at least like some sort of stimulating, challenging work

We are red shirt drones. Most of the stuff most anyone works on is of no consequence. In fact, the most consequential and meaningful work, like raising kids, or being a kids coach, etc, is unpaid and this unpaid time is aggressively sought out and destroyed by the globalist cabal of corporations.

The want us to barely squeak out a living in the dark shadows of the rigged game.

173   Mick Russom   ignore (0)   2012 May 4, 3:38pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

but it definitely helps lower stress anyway.

Stress reduction by exercise. if it works for rodents in a cage, I suppose its goof for us humans.

174   bmwman91   ignore (1)   2012 May 4, 4:13pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Mick Russom says

Sure. I know that what I do isn't contributing much to society, or the company as a whole. I'm expendable. I do it solely for myself. Learning & conquering technical challenges pleases me, and if I can get paid to do it, I'll do it while taking care to make sure that I don't care any more about the company than they care about me. My work represents me and I do it well simply because it is a reflection of me, but in the end there is no "loyalty" from either side. Taking pride in your work is important simply because it is a reflection of you as a person. That just means that you should do a good job though, not that you need to kiss ass, work ridiculous hours and try to please the company. There's a difference. If you want promotions & raises...jump between companies lol...it's rare at one employer, unless you happen to time it right & make the right threats.

The fact that there's no "point" to it is inconsequential to me. As far as I can tell, there's no "point" to life or anything we do, so I just roll with it. It may sound depressing to some, but it has actually been one of the most liberating realizations I have ever had. Not worrying about whether or not there is a "point" to things removes some of the mental constraints on hobbies & passions and lets me pursue them freely.

An in-law told me how wonderful having kids was because it gave him a PURPOSE in life. Personally, I don't see having kids as being any different than not having them in terms of life's "point." You certainly are responsible for them and their upbringing, but ultimately, there's no more point in their life than there is in yours! But hey, whatever floats your boat. I'll most likely have one or two in the next 5ish years. Point or not to life, dying alone seems unpleasant, and they seem like they can be nice to have around once they grow up & are adults.

Mick Russom says

One of our biggest follies as a species is thinking our unique cognitive abilities somehow nullify our biological foundation. In the end, we are almost exactly like most other animals, except we think we are smarter.

175   ArtimusMaxtor   ignore (10)   2012 May 4, 10:05pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I hate the word corporation. Trust busting did one thing it created the corporation so instead of say a Rockefeller or Mellonhead hiding themselves. Now they could hide the entire entity that is their empire and themselves. So when you say corporation. Your just hiding all their assets for them. Your also hiding them. See. Holding companies etc. I don't want to help them hide their assets or them. Its huge no doubt. You would spend countless minutes just enumerating everything in identification with them. Even then a lot of people still would not be sure. Why did they do it. Because before trust and at trust they were actually hunting these guys down physically with guns. So they decided better hide our stuff also we better hide to. So as far as your concerned they could exsist then again maybe not. You get PBS programs funded by foundations. Announced by a guy with a low tone like hes been to their funeral. Your pretty sure they are all dead at that point. They like it like that.

Your not sure why neither are the people that protest however your pissed at somene for all of this pounding debt. Your not even quite sure thats the problem. You live in fear every day for your survival. Your giving the one life you have away to these people with your labor.

After all its a "Christians" duty to do the best job for his employer otherwise you would be cheating him.

'
They of course had Barabas the sedationist wedged in there somewhere between Jesus pacifism and Roman authority. They all took a vote to free Barabas of course because they were all crazy and wanted a "showdown" with God. The nice guy went meekly and got hammered to a board no less. The Romans never really got in trouble. They even got to come back in and wipe out the crazy inhabitants of Jerusalem. Cause well they are authority. It all makes sense of course. Something like if you got caught by the foot on a merry go round and dragged through the sand for an hour being made so dizzy you can't even find the parking lot your car is in.

If you get a kalidescope look through it while your dizzy. You will see the Romans get theirs in the end. Oh so its one of those end time vengence thingy's. Yep, a lot of my NY friends would say, it is. Thats the blow hole to hell right under them Romans a cook at the Huddle house told me once. So it all makes sense now. You fill in the blanks if you want.

You listen to this song carefully. One verse says.

Up above my head
I hear music in the air
That makes me know
There's a party somewhere.

This appears to be more like an early 80s Jesus dance party to me.

Listen to the very end of the song it becomes really clear who footed the bill.

You think all these Jesus people are so innocent. I have seen some of these little Jesus bastards running for funds from these people so hard their shoes come off trying to get funded for their little "projects". In fact its almost worth going Jesus when you think about it. Deal is do a search amoung our "suspects" dawn may arrive earlier than you expected. These boy's will fund the shit out of Christianty and all day long. If you understand that life becomes oh so much clearer. Jumping from one foot to another from Christianty to everyone else dosen't bother these boys after all it's better than the alternative of everyone getting together and shearing their balls off. Sometimes they even make a mistake like funding the Christian coalition and the Rainbow movement at the same time.

What this really boils down to is your monetary system and where you got it from. Look there. You might find Mr. Biggie Smalls and his friends. Which is one of those expressions like oh Jumbo Shrimp. Buried under a ton of bullshit. The American Govt owes someone. So they will bascially tell you anything they are told to tell you for more. After all you would to. Don't tell me you wouldn't lie to me to get more.

176   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 5, 12:27pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

Ever read the book of Ecclesiastes? A lot of wisdom there. And 99% of people who self-identify as Christians have never read it.

177   bmwman91   ignore (1)   2012 May 5, 3:34pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

wthrfrk80 says

Nope, never read it. I had 8 years of Catholic schooling (you know how THEY like to teach things) and then 4 years with the Jesuits in high school. The Jesuits made me into an Agnostic, although I am totally fine with Jesus' overall message of, "don't be a selfish dick." I'll dig out my old King James Bible & check out Ecclesiastes. Anything in particular I should look for?

178   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 5, 3:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

Wow, KJV? You're more ambitious than I.

Nothing in particular...just read the whole thing.

179   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 5, 3:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

bmwman91 says

I am totally fine with Jesus' overall message of, "don't be a selfish dick."

Didn't Jesus claim to be God? Or at least the God of the Jews? He was crucified under the charge of blasphemy.

180   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2012 May 5, 6:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (3)   quote   flag

wthrfrk80 says

Jesus claimed he was doing the will of the father and was the son of God.

He also claimed that he and God were one: "'I and the Father are one.' Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, 'I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?' 'We are not stoning you for any of these,' replied the Jews, 'but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God'" (John 10:30-33).

The Jews came after him for these claims.

181   xenogear3   ignore (0)   2012 May 5, 8:22pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

The Jews came after him for these claims.

If someone claims "the son of God" today and has many followers, I am sure the government/church/vigilant will come after him too.

Edit: Also if someone creates some food out of thin air and doesn't pay tax, IRS and FDA will come after him.

182   Bigsby   ignore (10)   2012 May 5, 8:31pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

xenogear3 says

Goran_K says

The Jews came after him for these claims.

Or men in white coats.

183   ArtimusMaxtor   ignore (10)   2012 May 5, 9:53pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Look I have Hebrew relatives. They aren't insane. If indeed there was a "God" for them to deal with. Even they can fucking add. They might think hey the guy made the solar system. Fucking with him might get us all killed. A Christian might reccon they don't recognize Jesus, thats the problem. However Hebrews understand that Jesus is a bullshit story made from whole cloth. No one stops to think that the Hebrews are nothing but a family. That no one really knew that Jesus guy. You get the other asshole semites trying to pretend their way in. Hebrews can get confused because their now is a lot of them. Sometimes they don't recognize that other Semites like the game to.

One more time. I guess no one caught it. 9 different Semetic peoples. They all have their own religions. Many of them some very similar to the Hebrews. They all have their take on it. For example. Zoroastrianism, Iran recognizes that as a religion. See. Semites like fucking with this stuff obviously. They like fucking with each other with this stuff and everyone else. A Hebrew will say hey thats my family. Not say much. Anyone else that screwing with you. Probably isn't Hebrew. So Hebrews don't figure some Luddite in the picture is fucking with them about Zoroaster. Or Zoro-roaster as I like to call him. See so just like these assholes that like to make up religions to confuse everyone. Thats how you got Christianty.

Religion is tried and true. Governments love them. You have to pacify people. Its a Governments fucking duty. Or people will overrun them. I point out a Rockefeller in the old Trustbuster days. Half the country was screaming for his blood. The Government because you have a monetary system based on lending which they have to borrow from. Must stand in the way of you and the other very disgruntled. So they can get more funding. It's very simple. It's one more buffer so the lenders or usury people can feel safe. The government will even cooperate in selling their products. Like homes and loans. stocks, autos and auto loans etc. No one ever stops to think the government is doing business with these people. A lot of it to. So BP, Standard, Exxon and Chevron is very important to the government. Why? Your government needs more funding. Imano, imano. They are also in debt. They owe, they owe so its off to work they go. Its very simple stuff really. Don't twist yourself into a pretzel for anyone. The pacifism of 200 million potentially many of who could be a very dangerous mob. Is something new to you of course. However for them it is a reality. Thats why debt merchants will cooperate in stories to calm your anger down. It's continual managment on the governments part. See. Even you if in danger will pacify in some way the person your persons your afraid of. You do it every fucking day. Its something very similar to that. Next time your afraid of some danger involving people or a person. Think about your behavior and what you do to make that person happy and go away. Oh you have a wonderful race. My best friend is a? See you don't want them all pissed off at you because you just might have a bad day.

pacify
pac·i·fy

Calm: to calm somebody who is angry or agitated, or soothe violent or angry feelings

The pacification that religion brings on is a no brainer. Love your neighbor. Do good to those that hurt you. Turn the other cheek. It's simply not human nature for people to do those things even fucking Christians. So some asshole who may have been an advanced space ranger came up with. Jesus forgives your sins so don't worry about it. Which is really frustrating to some. Finger pointing starts and well they are absoloved of course. What it really adds up to the bullshit in the beginning of this paragraph wasn't working very well. Because it is fucking human nature. So they went with well try to follow the guideliness anyway.

So you can hate these idiots. What it really boils down to sense. Christianty is nonsense. You can't argue with a person scared into being delusional. All you can do is fuck with them. Like semites that like fucking with a Hebrew.

I like the guy that pushes the grocery carts at the market. I really do. He dosen't give me problems like everyone else around. He really dosen't know what the fuck is going on. All I can is thank God I don't have to explain things to him.

So basically if you give one trouble your going to get a shitload of it in return. Think about it. Lets take authority or imbued authority, for example. Like well your parents. Children like it or not. Answer to their parents. Give that parent enough trouble things are going to start to go really wrong for the child. Of course the smart ass child always thinks he's smarter than the parent. See. The childs brain is not big enough also he just dosen't have the resources. He will pretend he does. He's clearly not as smart as the parent. Although he might always think he is. Children always think they can get away with it. Parents may ignore some things. There is benovolence for the child. However children sometimes mistake that for stupidity. The parent have their role for a reason. The child needs that authority. Because they are not equiped to handle what that parent understands better than the child does. Children don't like that always. Thats just the way it is.

When the people of your government are behaving like stupid children then what? With all the confusing little games and their stupid little ways. When their little playmates all come around with their stupid behavior adding to the problem then what? When they start vandalizing your house then what? A child wants his own way thats clear. Children don't have enough sense thats why they need an adult. For the most part anyway. Or the children will continue down the road into their little disaster if not corrected. It's very easy to understand really. So an adult might say one day you need to be self-sustaining. The child may look up at the adult and say yes but he needs more toys. They like playing with toys. He likes his cartoons and fantasy. Yes, son but your toys and your fantasies aren't going to feed you. You will wind up in a very bad place. The child will never figure the future if someone dosen't call him on his play time. Running with the crowd of children that have the same ways, seems to make it ok. After all the child reasons there is strength in numbers at least on his playground. Its a good place to hide indulge himself with toys and and his fantasy. After all there is no parent to tell him hey your not practicing life for yourself your just playing with your friends. Yes but they have great toys. They aren't yours stop chasing after them. Just some kids thats are a little smarter and more devious than you taking advantage. Your not one of them just their fool.

One might take this personally. Well that you should. You have a very selfish government of people that let the wrong people in back when. Now the people of your government are clearly "owned". The "wrong people" are nothing but common swindelers. The people in your government likes to play games with the people in other governments that also let the wrong people in to prey on their people. I would say its to late now. Other than smacking the shit out of the "wrong people". So hey! theres no "authority". No one to call. Leaves you in dispair dosen't it. The earth after all is an inert entity that just spins till your dizzy and does nothing. It grows fucking food for you but so what. Whats food to Viperman? He's faster than a loco-motive. In fact he is a loco-motive. By now he's even a seismic wonder. Try looking around you there is more than you think. Don't make it less than you know.

184   ArtimusMaxtor   ignore (10)   2012 May 6, 12:04am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Not teaching children how to be self-sustaining in their schools only the basics of running the empire of the monetary system set up by the cash swindlers. With fixed prices and no bargaining. Take what we give we will measure out what you get. How can you get ahead with no bargaining.

Artimus 7:11 The measure you be measuring by is measured back to you.

Another words someone has their finger on the scale. It's not the fact your overweight of course. It's just that they are bloated.

185   Bigsby   ignore (10)   2012 May 6, 12:40am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

ArtimusMaxtor says

Artimus 7:11 The measure you be measuring by is measured back to you.

Where's Google translate when you need it?

186   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2012 May 6, 2:22am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (3)   quote   flag

xenogear3 says

Half the country doesn't technically pay taxes right now. Plus with all of Jesus donations, he would probably get a rebate anyway.

187   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 6, 2:30am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I also thought Ecclesiates was great, and that they just tacked on some blub about obeying God at the end of it, because otherwise it is rather anti-religious.

188   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2012 May 6, 4:17am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (3)   quote   flag

Jesus was anti-religion. That's one of the most interesting things I discovered by reading the bible.

189   ArtimusMaxtor   ignore (10)   2012 May 6, 7:33am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Very true Goran. I discovered that Jesus is also anti-matter.

190   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2012 May 6, 7:39am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (3)   quote   flag

ArtimusMaxtor says

Very true Goran. I discovered that Jesus is also anti-matter.

Only after his earthly death.

191   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 6, 9:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Mick Russom says

Goran_K says

How do you win

Now that would be a really interesting experiment if we could do it.

192   FortWayne   ignore (4)   2012 May 6, 11:12am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

Jesus was against debt and loans as well.

193   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 7, 12:17am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ecclesiastes is great I agree. But I never heard that anyone "tacked on" anything to it. How could that even be proven?

194   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (36)   2012 May 7, 12:31am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Jesus would wipe his ass with Realtor®s' faces.

195   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 May 7, 1:17am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

wthrfrk80 says

The last paragraph just doesn't fit wtih the rest of the thing. After going on about the meaninglessness of everything, suddenly just at the end he says you should fear God and keep his commandments. Huh? Sounds like someone needed to come up with a moral to justify including it in the bible.

196   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 May 7, 1:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Anything is possible. Is the Jewish version of Ecclesiastes different than the Christian version?

Maybe the writer just meant something similar to Jesus' teaching: "what good is it if a man gains the whole world but forfeits his soul?"

« First    « Previous    Comments 117 - 196 of 196    Last »