Patnet

By GonzoReal following x   2012 Dec 20, 12:27am 4,201 views   18 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Still a work in progress

1   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 12:51am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

I've really enjoyed working on all this, even though it's hard to get it right.

Should you ever get a reminder about the people you have on ignore, in case you might now find them interesting? Or should ignore time out after a month or so?

2   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2012 Dec 20, 12:54am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

Patrick, another ignore quirk I've found on another forum.

Ignore works both ways. If you ignore someone, you don't see their post, but they don't see your post as well.

What ends up happening is that people who act like "attack dogs" or are constantly abusive end up not seeing any post anymore because people have ignored them. They end up getting bored because the forum is empty (from their account view), and leave altogether.

Probably one of the most effective self-moderating implementations I've seen.

I agree about the reminder. I've unignored certain people after reading their post again.

3   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 1:59am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

Actually it's not supposed to work that way. It's one-directional.

So if you ignore someone, you don't see their posts, but they should definitely still see all of yours.

Could be that I have a bug, but I just tested it and it seemed to be purely one-directional.

4   FNWGMOBDVZXDNW   ignore (2)   2012 Dec 20, 3:06am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I've also enjoyed this feature lately. It's annoying to see 3 or 4 threads on the front page from some poster you find annoying or some topic you find annoying. Using ignore, really cleans up the front page.

Sometimes, there is a poster with good comments on one forum (say real estate), but who you want to ignore on other forums. The system's probably at the right level of simplicity at the moment, though.

5   anonymous   ignore (null)   2012 Dec 20, 3:07am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I think you misread goran, patrick. S/he said on another forum. Yours is a one way ignore street.

Lol @ patrick being ignored by 2 users

6   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 3:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

You're right, I misunderstood that!

OK, should it be the way Goran described, where ignoring someone also makes you invisible to them?

7   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 3:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

errc says

patrick being ignored by 2 users

Kind of democratic that way, no?

8   Tenpoundbass   ignore (11)   2012 Dec 20, 3:48am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (3)   quote   flag

Sure then eventually well all just have a blank page to stare at.

9   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 3:51am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

I'd feel bad for Apocalypsefuck, who is actually the most-ignored user, but dearly beloved by many others. So I don't think I can make ignores all mutual.

10   Peter P   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 3:52am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If that is the case it is quite easy to deduce who is ignoring you.

11   someone else   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 3:54am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

Right now, I think the only way to tell someone is ignoring you is to try to comment on their thread and get a message that you can't comment there because that user is ignoring you.

12   Homeboy   ignore (2)   2012 Dec 20, 3:58am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Great idea, Professor. Think I'll try it.

13   anonymous   ignore (null)   2012 Dec 20, 4:06am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

CaptainShuddup says

Sure then eventually well all just have a blank page to stare at.

Too funny! Thanks for the belly laugh

14   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2012 Dec 20, 5:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

errc says

CaptainShuddup says

Sure then eventually well all just have a blank page to stare at.

Too funny! Thanks for the belly laugh

Which is worse: A blank page or a blank mind comment.

15   anonymous   ignore (null)   2012 Dec 20, 5:35am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

HEY YOU says

errc says

CaptainShuddup says

Sure then eventually well all just have a blank page to stare at.

Too funny! Thanks for the belly laugh

Which is worse: A blank page or a blank mind comment.

Well now my head just hurts,,,,

16   marcus   ignore (4)   2012 Dec 20, 5:41am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The Professor says

Ignore really works

True.

And btw, what happend ? I thought you liked to constantly post comments to your 9/11 conspiracy threads, to keep them at the top of the que in politics ?

17   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2012 Dec 20, 8:02am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

You're right, I misunderstood that!

The reason it works is because trolls soon lose their audience and material. Trolls thrive on the ability to take someone's comments, or a thread out of context and just go with it, making any ridiculous remark to get a response. After a while, they start seeing no more posters and they start to rethink their trolling. Best system I've seen yet.

Also, I notice people you have ignored can still dislike your post. That seems sort of unfair.

18   elliemae   ignore (0)   2012 Dec 20, 2:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

I like having people on "ignore" and not having it time out. But that's just me.

The Housing Trap