S&P Breakout, next Step

By SFace following x   2013 Jan 22, 9:01am 2,474 views   7 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

It looks like with Google and IBM, tech will likely be up tommorow and likely take the S&P past 1500. It has broken out, despite a lot of Apple weakness.

The question is where will the next top be before the inevitable pullback?

Just like last year there was a sharp rise in equity between Nov-Mar before the pullback, I think the pullback may come a little ealier in February around 1525 and ahead of headnotes from automatics.

Thoughs?

1   gbenson   ignore (0)   2013 Jan 22, 9:37am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The day I move back in to the markets, I guarantee a long prolonged slump after that..

2   uomo_senza_nome   ignore (1)   2013 Jan 22, 11:23am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

SFace says

I think the pullback may come a little ealier in February around 1525 and ahead of headnotes from debt ceiling.

SFace,

The House is expected to vote tomorrow on temporarily raising the debt limit, which pushes the deadline to Mid-May. This bill is welcomed by WH and Senate as well.

My initial thoughts was mid Feb as well, but I think they could keep running higher with some minor pull backs to take a breather.

3   mell   ignore (2)   2013 Jan 22, 11:37am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Futures are even/red by now, the 1% gain evaporated already. I expect the top shortly as well, but shortly is bendable and can make and break your trading if its only off by a couple of weeks ;) I mostly trade non-cyclical stocks that I also have an interest in (such as small biotechs with novel ideas), but I have some FAZ/SRS junk just for a hedge - I am too lazy to hedge better than Direxions daily reset crap ETFs ;) But on a hard turnaround these run nicely (on the long run they always depreciate).

4   E-man   ignore (0)   2013 Feb 13, 11:34pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@SFace,

So the S&P hit your magic number of 1525 yesterday. How are you hedging for the anticipated correction? Did you raise some cash and buy TVIX or something similar?

5   E-man   ignore (0)   2013 Feb 13, 11:36pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

uomo_senza_nome says

Did they vote? How high is the new debt ceiling? How much higher do you think the market will go?

6   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2013 Feb 14, 1:36am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

gbenson says

Let us know when you get back into the markets. Or better yet, the day before.

7   EBGuy   ignore (0)   2013 Feb 14, 5:55am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I actually had faith in the GOP to raftify the Grand Bargain 1 & 2. Instead, they consistently snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. No more. They are going to burn this sucker down... the sequester is a comin' and ain't no one gonna stop it. At some point the markets react.